Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Reply
Posted Jul 4, 2011
2:36:52 PM
View profile
Does anyone else find this absurd?
I bought a refurb 16g iPhone 3GS in Febuary 2010. Yesterday I dropped it and cracked the glass. I went to an Att store today looking to replace it with a $49.99 3GS. They told me I had to pay full price ($400 some for a phone model that is 3 years old) or wait until September when I'm eligible for an upgrade. I am a good costumer who pays his bills on time. I am (was) planning to stay with Att so it's not like I am trying to rob them. I don't think think getting a replacement (not an upgrade) for a low price Is so unreasonable. Now I am stuck with a working but broken phone for the next two months. I am now considering Verizon come next Febuary but probably won't have better luck with them. My next phone I will be purchasing Apple Care. Apple treats there costumers better than this. Does anyone else find this completely absurd?
I bought a refurb 16g iPhone 3GS in Febuary 2010. Yesterday I dropped it and cracked the glass. I went to an Att store today looking to replace it with a $49.99 3GS. They told me I had to pay full price ($400 some for a phone model that is 3 years old) or wait until September when I'm eligible for an upgrade. I am a good costumer who pays his bills on time. I am (was) planning to stay with Att so it's not like I am trying to rob them. I don't think think getting a replacement (not an upgrade) for a low price Is so unreasonable. Now I am stuck with a working but broken phone for the next two months. I am now considering Verizon come next Febuary but probably won't have better luck with them. My next phone I will be purchasing Apple Care. Apple treats there costumers better than this. Does anyone else find this completely absurd?

Does anyone else find this absurd?

1,159 views
52 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Reply
View all replies
(52)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 8:56:32 AM
0
(0)
Guru

I'm no fan of Apple, and have always been critical of AT&T and how they do business, but I do agree it's not neccessarily AT&T's business to be repairing phones, and considering some of my past complaints with AT&T, I'm fairly certain I'd never trust them to do quality repairs.

 

The "best case" scenario in my mind for this sort of situation is to have the AT&T store employees lay it out as follows:

 

"Well, AT&T doesn't do phone repairs.  If your phone is covered by warranty, we can replace it with a refurbished unit.  If your phone is out of warranty, we can sell you a new unit, however, you might want to first try visiting an Apple store and see what they can do for your.  As the OEM of the iPhone, they'll have staff on hand to repair the phone."

 

In this way the customer's options are laid out politely, and there's no reason for anyone to be upset at AT&T.  It's plainly stated what can and can't be done at the AT&T store, and you have been given the best possible option for repair.

 

Unfortunately many times the AT&T reps aren't as polite, or as upfront about available alternatives...

I'm no fan of Apple, and have always been critical of AT&T and how they do business, but I do agree it's not neccessarily AT&T's business to be repairing phones, and considering some of my past complaints with AT&T, I'm fairly certain I'd never trust them to do quality repairs.

 

The "best case" scenario in my mind for this sort of situation is to have the AT&T store employees lay it out as follows:

 

"Well, AT&T doesn't do phone repairs.  If your phone is covered by warranty, we can replace it with a refurbished unit.  If your phone is out of warranty, we can sell you a new unit, however, you might want to first try visiting an Apple store and see what they can do for your.  As the OEM of the iPhone, they'll have staff on hand to repair the phone."

 

In this way the customer's options are laid out politely, and there's no reason for anyone to be upset at AT&T.  It's plainly stated what can and can't be done at the AT&T store, and you have been given the best possible option for repair.

 

Unfortunately many times the AT&T reps aren't as polite, or as upfront about available alternatives...

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

31 of 53 (355 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 10:04:13 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Guru

Do you have iphone in a Otterbox, so next time you drop phone screen will not break, or something else happens? I have 8gb iPhone in Otterbox, with no problems.Smiley Wink

Do you have iphone in a Otterbox, so next time you drop phone screen will not break, or something else happens? I have 8gb iPhone in Otterbox, with no problems.Smiley Wink

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

32 of 53 (347 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 10:43:14 AM
0
(0)
Expert

DimentoGraven wrote:

I'm no fan of Apple, and have always been critical of AT&T and how they do business, but I do agree it's not neccessarily AT&T's business to be repairing phones, and considering some of my past complaints with AT&T, I'm fairly certain I'd never trust them to do quality repairs.

 

The "best case" scenario in my mind for this sort of situation is to have the AT&T store employees lay it out as follows:

 

"Well, AT&T doesn't do phone repairs.  If your phone is covered by warranty, we can replace it with a refurbished unit.  If your phone is out of warranty, we can sell you a new unit, however, you might want to first try visiting an Apple store and see what they can do for your.  As the OEM of the iPhone, they'll have staff on hand to repair the phone."

 

In this way the customer's options are laid out politely, and there's no reason for anyone to be upset at AT&T.  It's plainly stated what can and can't be done at the AT&T store, and you have been given the best possible option for repair.

 

Unfortunately many times the AT&T reps aren't as polite, or as upfront about available alternatives...



considering that Apple is the documented point of contact for any Iphone replairs in or out of warrenty then you are correct. Apple can repair the glass.

 

"Geniuses can now replace a defective screen for free if your iPhone is under warranty or, if not warranty-related, for a nice hefty $199. (Standard disclaimer: Defective doesn’t mean cracked beyond belief because your estranged ex drove over it in her Hummer. That does void your warranty, as does liquid damage and jailbroken phones.)"

 

It is documented that it is 199.00 to replae a out ofwarrenty screen, some people maybe able to wrangle a free replacement. but it is not the norm. Best bet is always go into any Iphone repair with the thought hat it will cost you. The first thing the people at teh Genus bar does is check for the moisture trigger - if it is tripped, everything will cost you from then on.


DimentoGraven wrote:

I'm no fan of Apple, and have always been critical of AT&T and how they do business, but I do agree it's not neccessarily AT&T's business to be repairing phones, and considering some of my past complaints with AT&T, I'm fairly certain I'd never trust them to do quality repairs.

 

The "best case" scenario in my mind for this sort of situation is to have the AT&T store employees lay it out as follows:

 

"Well, AT&T doesn't do phone repairs.  If your phone is covered by warranty, we can replace it with a refurbished unit.  If your phone is out of warranty, we can sell you a new unit, however, you might want to first try visiting an Apple store and see what they can do for your.  As the OEM of the iPhone, they'll have staff on hand to repair the phone."

 

In this way the customer's options are laid out politely, and there's no reason for anyone to be upset at AT&T.  It's plainly stated what can and can't be done at the AT&T store, and you have been given the best possible option for repair.

 

Unfortunately many times the AT&T reps aren't as polite, or as upfront about available alternatives...



considering that Apple is the documented point of contact for any Iphone replairs in or out of warrenty then you are correct. Apple can repair the glass.

 

"Geniuses can now replace a defective screen for free if your iPhone is under warranty or, if not warranty-related, for a nice hefty $199. (Standard disclaimer: Defective doesn’t mean cracked beyond belief because your estranged ex drove over it in her Hummer. That does void your warranty, as does liquid damage and jailbroken phones.)"

 

It is documented that it is 199.00 to replae a out ofwarrenty screen, some people maybe able to wrangle a free replacement. but it is not the norm. Best bet is always go into any Iphone repair with the thought hat it will cost you. The first thing the people at teh Genus bar does is check for the moisture trigger - if it is tripped, everything will cost you from then on.

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

33 of 53 (340 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 11:38:27 AM
0
(0)
Professor
Edited by SLIKRICK on Jul 12, 2011 at 11:40:27 AM
And even at that there are exceptions. My bottom sensor was somehow triggered and I went for a separate issue. They noticed it and took it in back to check out the internal sensors. They were fine, so they took care of the issue, swapping out the phone for a replacement unit, no problem.
And even at that there are exceptions. My bottom sensor was somehow triggered and I went for a separate issue. They noticed it and took it in back to check out the internal sensors. They were fine, so they took care of the issue, swapping out the phone for a replacement unit, no problem.

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

[ Edited ]
34 of 53 (334 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 3:28:39 PM
0
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:
The first thing the people at teh Genus bar does is check for the moisture trigger - if it is tripped, everything will cost you from then on.


I believe your information is dated.  There have been enough situations where the mositure indicator triggered even without being exposed to mositure that Apple has revised their procedures. 

 

They have replaced iphones under warranty even with a tripped indicator.  They will perform an assessment to try and determine why it tripped and decide how to proceed.

 

it's no longer an automatic rejection of service as it was just a few months ago. Too many of these triggers incorrectly fired, causing significant customer dissatisfaction.

 

 


wingrider01 wrote:
The first thing the people at teh Genus bar does is check for the moisture trigger - if it is tripped, everything will cost you from then on.


I believe your information is dated.  There have been enough situations where the mositure indicator triggered even without being exposed to mositure that Apple has revised their procedures. 

 

They have replaced iphones under warranty even with a tripped indicator.  They will perform an assessment to try and determine why it tripped and decide how to proceed.

 

it's no longer an automatic rejection of service as it was just a few months ago. Too many of these triggers incorrectly fired, causing significant customer dissatisfaction.

 

 

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

35 of 53 (314 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2011 3:25:53 AM
0
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jul 13, 2011 at 3:26:40 AM

wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:
The first thing the people at teh Genus bar does is check for the moisture trigger - if it is tripped, everything will cost you from then on.


I believe your information is dated.  There have been enough situations where the mositure indicator triggered even without being exposed to mositure that Apple has revised their procedures. 

 

They have replaced iphones under warranty even with a tripped indicator.  They will perform an assessment to try and determine why it tripped and decide how to proceed.

 

it's no longer an automatic rejection of service as it was just a few months ago. Too many of these triggers incorrectly fired, causing significant customer dissatisfaction.

 

 



Information is dated as on 06/28/2011 when an empoyee took their company supplied ATT Iphone 4 to the Genius bar becasue it was acting up


wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:
The first thing the people at teh Genus bar does is check for the moisture trigger - if it is tripped, everything will cost you from then on.


I believe your information is dated.  There have been enough situations where the mositure indicator triggered even without being exposed to mositure that Apple has revised their procedures. 

 

They have replaced iphones under warranty even with a tripped indicator.  They will perform an assessment to try and determine why it tripped and decide how to proceed.

 

it's no longer an automatic rejection of service as it was just a few months ago. Too many of these triggers incorrectly fired, causing significant customer dissatisfaction.

 

 



Information is dated as on 06/28/2011 when an empoyee took their company supplied ATT Iphone 4 to the Genius bar becasue it was acting up

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

[ Edited ]
36 of 53 (290 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2011 6:26:01 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

Information is dated as on 06/28/2011 when an empoyee took their company supplied ATT Iphone 4 to the Genius bar because it was acting up


Now wing,

 

I know you like to debate things incessantly, but please read what I wrote:  They will perform an assessment to try and determine why it tripped and decide how to proceed.  I didn't write they universally replace without question.  The problems Apple discovered included people take their phone into the same room as their shower, leaving it on a counter while the room filled with moisture,  others in really humid environments had problems with the trigger.  As I wrote, there are different assessment techniques to determine if it was dipped or not, they don't reject outright just because the trigger tripped as they did in the past.

 

I would also suspect they "may" (read that as "may") treat a corporate customer differently because the individual may not have paind for the handset, or the contract's Ts&Cs excluded replacement.

 

I know you like black and white answers, fortunately the world is grey. 

 

 


wingrider01 wrote:

Information is dated as on 06/28/2011 when an empoyee took their company supplied ATT Iphone 4 to the Genius bar because it was acting up


Now wing,

 

I know you like to debate things incessantly, but please read what I wrote:  They will perform an assessment to try and determine why it tripped and decide how to proceed.  I didn't write they universally replace without question.  The problems Apple discovered included people take their phone into the same room as their shower, leaving it on a counter while the room filled with moisture,  others in really humid environments had problems with the trigger.  As I wrote, there are different assessment techniques to determine if it was dipped or not, they don't reject outright just because the trigger tripped as they did in the past.

 

I would also suspect they "may" (read that as "may") treat a corporate customer differently because the individual may not have paind for the handset, or the contract's Ts&Cs excluded replacement.

 

I know you like black and white answers, fortunately the world is grey. 

 

 

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

37 of 53 (277 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2011 7:42:14 AM
0
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jul 13, 2011 at 7:43:21 AM

wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Information is dated as on 06/28/2011 when an empoyee took their company supplied ATT Iphone 4 to the Genius bar because it was acting up


Now wing,

 

I know you like to debate things incessantly, but please read what I wrote:  They will perform an assessment to try and determine why it tripped and decide how to proceed.  I didn't write they universally replace without question.  The problems Apple discovered included people take their phone into the same room as their shower, leaving it on a counter while the room filled with moisture,  others in really humid environments had problems with the trigger.  As I wrote, there are different assessment techniques to determine if it was dipped or not, they don't reject outright just because the trigger tripped as they did in the past.

 

I would also suspect they "may" (read that as "may") treat a corporate customer differently because the individual may not have paind for the handset, or the contract's Ts&Cs excluded replacement.

 

I know you like black and white answers, fortunately the world is grey. 

 

 



their assesment of why it tripped was "it got wet"  According to the report the employee gave when they came back and this was BEFORE the Genius bar employee even asked the phone number to determine if it was a business or a personally owned phone. I trust the employee explicitly since she is one of the people that handle security of our facility, and has for 10 years. Beside, I have no problem purchasing a replacement phone for the employee, just the cost of doing business, cell phones get damaged, life goes on. She had an authorization chit  to replace the phone via purchase if it was not a warrenty covered incident. By the way, the IPhones are activated and registered to the employee that gets them name, same with all phones

 

 


wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Information is dated as on 06/28/2011 when an empoyee took their company supplied ATT Iphone 4 to the Genius bar because it was acting up


Now wing,

 

I know you like to debate things incessantly, but please read what I wrote:  They will perform an assessment to try and determine why it tripped and decide how to proceed.  I didn't write they universally replace without question.  The problems Apple discovered included people take their phone into the same room as their shower, leaving it on a counter while the room filled with moisture,  others in really humid environments had problems with the trigger.  As I wrote, there are different assessment techniques to determine if it was dipped or not, they don't reject outright just because the trigger tripped as they did in the past.

 

I would also suspect they "may" (read that as "may") treat a corporate customer differently because the individual may not have paind for the handset, or the contract's Ts&Cs excluded replacement.

 

I know you like black and white answers, fortunately the world is grey. 

 

 



their assesment of why it tripped was "it got wet"  According to the report the employee gave when they came back and this was BEFORE the Genius bar employee even asked the phone number to determine if it was a business or a personally owned phone. I trust the employee explicitly since she is one of the people that handle security of our facility, and has for 10 years. Beside, I have no problem purchasing a replacement phone for the employee, just the cost of doing business, cell phones get damaged, life goes on. She had an authorization chit  to replace the phone via purchase if it was not a warrenty covered incident. By the way, the IPhones are activated and registered to the employee that gets them name, same with all phones

 

 

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

[ Edited ]
38 of 53 (269 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2011 8:11:05 AM
0
(0)
Guru

wingrider01 wrote:

DimentoGraven wrote:

I'm no fan of Apple, and have always been critical of AT&T and how they do business, but I do agree it's not neccessarily AT&T's business to be repairing phones, and considering some of my past complaints with AT&T, I'm fairly certain I'd never trust them to do quality repairs.

 

The "best case" scenario in my mind for this sort of situation is to have the AT&T store employees lay it out as follows:

 

"Well, AT&T doesn't do phone repairs.  If your phone is covered by warranty, we can replace it with a refurbished unit.  If your phone is out of warranty, we can sell you a new unit, however, you might want to first try visiting an Apple store and see what they can do for your.  As the OEM of the iPhone, they'll have staff on hand to repair the phone."

 

In this way the customer's options are laid out politely, and there's no reason for anyone to be upset at AT&T.  It's plainly stated what can and can't be done at the AT&T store, and you have been given the best possible option for repair.

 

Unfortunately many times the AT&T reps aren't as polite, or as upfront about available alternatives...



 

(Standard disclaimer: Defective doesn’t mean cracked beyond belief because your estranged ex drove over it in her Hummer. That does void your warranty, as does liquid damage and jailbroken phones.)"

 

 


Standard clarification--a defect or other issue that results in a product that no longer functions properly/correctly that occurred during the warranty period but is not covered under the terms of the warranty does not automatically void the warranty.  Think about what you said--if you bought a new phone and then less than a month into the warranty period you accidently cracked the glass, then wind up paying for the replacement cost of the glass (if Apple chooses not to cover the damage under warranty)--does that mean your phone is no longer under warranty for the remainder of the period (roughly 11 months)?  What if you had to bring your phone in six months later because the headphone jack no longer works through no fault of your own--does Apple tell you that they can't fix it because through your own actions you voided your warranty by cracking the glass six months ago?

 

Basically speaking--a manufacturer/company can refuse to repair something under warranty if it can be proven that the defect was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, but it cannot by default invalidate/void the entire warranty itself because of it.  Otherwise, in the case of Apple they could theoretically void or otherwise not repair under warranty a physically defective iPhone Home button if it is discovered that said phone is/was jailbroken...even if they can't prove that the Home button was broken as a direct result of the jailbreak.


wingrider01 wrote:

DimentoGraven wrote:

I'm no fan of Apple, and have always been critical of AT&T and how they do business, but I do agree it's not neccessarily AT&T's business to be repairing phones, and considering some of my past complaints with AT&T, I'm fairly certain I'd never trust them to do quality repairs.

 

The "best case" scenario in my mind for this sort of situation is to have the AT&T store employees lay it out as follows:

 

"Well, AT&T doesn't do phone repairs.  If your phone is covered by warranty, we can replace it with a refurbished unit.  If your phone is out of warranty, we can sell you a new unit, however, you might want to first try visiting an Apple store and see what they can do for your.  As the OEM of the iPhone, they'll have staff on hand to repair the phone."

 

In this way the customer's options are laid out politely, and there's no reason for anyone to be upset at AT&T.  It's plainly stated what can and can't be done at the AT&T store, and you have been given the best possible option for repair.

 

Unfortunately many times the AT&T reps aren't as polite, or as upfront about available alternatives...



 

(Standard disclaimer: Defective doesn’t mean cracked beyond belief because your estranged ex drove over it in her Hummer. That does void your warranty, as does liquid damage and jailbroken phones.)"

 

 


Standard clarification--a defect or other issue that results in a product that no longer functions properly/correctly that occurred during the warranty period but is not covered under the terms of the warranty does not automatically void the warranty.  Think about what you said--if you bought a new phone and then less than a month into the warranty period you accidently cracked the glass, then wind up paying for the replacement cost of the glass (if Apple chooses not to cover the damage under warranty)--does that mean your phone is no longer under warranty for the remainder of the period (roughly 11 months)?  What if you had to bring your phone in six months later because the headphone jack no longer works through no fault of your own--does Apple tell you that they can't fix it because through your own actions you voided your warranty by cracking the glass six months ago?

 

Basically speaking--a manufacturer/company can refuse to repair something under warranty if it can be proven that the defect was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, but it cannot by default invalidate/void the entire warranty itself because of it.  Otherwise, in the case of Apple they could theoretically void or otherwise not repair under warranty a physically defective iPhone Home button if it is discovered that said phone is/was jailbroken...even if they can't prove that the Home button was broken as a direct result of the jailbreak.

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

39 of 53 (265 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2011 11:37:18 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

 the IPhones are activated and registered to the employee that gets them name, same with all phones

 

 


Yes, it's in the person's name,  however the account is clearly shown as FAN, i.e  corporate discount.

 


wingrider01 wrote:

 the IPhones are activated and registered to the employee that gets them name, same with all phones

 

 


Yes, it's in the person's name,  however the account is clearly shown as FAN, i.e  corporate discount.

 

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

40 of 53 (243 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 3:52:21 AM
0
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jul 14, 2011 at 3:52:56 AM

wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

 the IPhones are activated and registered to the employee that gets them name, same with all phones

 

 


Yes, it's in the person's name,  however the account is clearly shown as FAN, i.e  corporate discount.

 



question - since they checked water damage prior to asking anything else, how exactly did they know that the person standing in front of them was handing them a corporate paid for phone? Where they channeling the Great Carsonni wihen she handed them her Iphone?


wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

 the IPhones are activated and registered to the employee that gets them name, same with all phones

 

 


Yes, it's in the person's name,  however the account is clearly shown as FAN, i.e  corporate discount.

 



question - since they checked water damage prior to asking anything else, how exactly did they know that the person standing in front of them was handing them a corporate paid for phone? Where they channeling the Great Carsonni wihen she handed them her Iphone?

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

[ Edited ]
41 of 53 (240 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 5:20:16 AM
0
(0)
Contributor


that's good


i cant believe they closed the complaining thread, so where do people go for the daily whinge about EC?
__________________
[url=http://www.cheapiphone5accessories.com/247-iphone-5-zebra-cases]iPhone 5 Zebra Cases[/url], [url=http://www.cheapiphone5accessories.com/248-iphone-5-diamond-cases]iPhone 5 Diamond Cases[/url], [url=http://www.cheapiphone5accessories.com/139-iphone-5-skins]iPhone 5 Skins[/url]
[url=http://forums.macrumors.com/]iphone forum[/url]


that's good


i cant believe they closed the complaining thread, so where do people go for the daily whinge about EC?
__________________
[url=http://www.cheapiphone5accessories.com/247-iphone-5-zebra-cases]iPhone 5 Zebra Cases[/url], [url=http://www.cheapiphone5accessories.com/248-iphone-5-diamond-cases]iPhone 5 Diamond Cases[/url], [url=http://www.cheapiphone5accessories.com/139-iphone-5-skins]iPhone 5 Skins[/url]
[url=http://forums.macrumors.com/]iphone forum[/url]

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

42 of 53 (233 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 6:04:04 AM
0
(0)
Tutor

What I find absurd (not obsure) is that people like you take time to post such a snarky reply without copying the correct spelling of the key term from the title of the post you are responding to, much less spelling it correctly on your own.  If you want to act like an expert or authority figure, do a little spell checking.

 

Your attitude represents the very heart of all that is bad about AT&T.  Yes, with that attitude I am willing to bet that you are probably a senior customer service director in charge of training new employees.  If not, you should apply, you have all the necessary "skills". 

 

Counting the days until our contract w/ AT&T expires. They took over my old cell phone company Cingular, who I was very happy with, and destroyed cellular customer service for us.  Since the change, I have made numerous inquiries about problems & service, and have never gotten the same answer to the same question twice. Employees read from scripts, but they have no training about what to do in any given situation, and few have any real knowledge of policy, and none have any power to do anything meaningful.  It took us 16 months to get a working phone despite paying for insurance, and doing no damage what so ever to the Garmin Nuvi phone we paid over $250 for @ AT&T store that never worked. We got our attorney to call, and in 2 minutes we have someone @ AT&T telling us we have been due a replacement phone from Day 1. It was at our front door the next day. So we went 16 months without a working phone, and we get no compensation for this service paid for but not recieved. A few days later we were emailed a survey about our experience with AT&T. When I gave them low numbers on the responses, POOF, the page just disappeared before I could send it. So I went back to the original email & re-started, and the same thing happened again and again. They just do not care about how bad they are.

 

Right now we pay about $200/month for Lightning DSL + unlimited phone service w/ long distance + premium cable to another provider.  Their employees are superb, and when we have an issue they do everything in their power to help. They have even helped with problems originating from other equipment, such as our Playstation 3 or XBox.  They win the J.D. Powers Customer Service award year after year. If they had cell service, it would be a no brainer, we'd be with them in a heartbeat, even though we have held AT&T stock for 35+ years (it was inherited or I'd dump it). AT&T, take notes from these people, they know how to provide quality services at a reasonable price with exceptional customer service; if they can do this why can't AT&T?  They treir\d to sell us on U_Verse, but I wouldn't get that if it was free. Our enighbor made the switc from the company we are wih, and is fuming. Lags, pixelation, frequent outages, unreliable service, and no rebate as promised. Now they are telling him he cannot cancel the non-working service for 2 years without paying an exhorbitant cancellation fee.  Welcome to AT&T.

 

One AT&T rep told me that if she was having the horrific time we were having, and she had paid for insurance for 16 months and gotten nothing in return, she would "loose the phone" or "it would fall under the wheel of her car."  She suggested we "buy a go phone at Wal-Mart and use the SIM card from the AT&T Nuvi so that my son would have reliable service" !!! We pay $180/month for 2 phones with 550 minutes each. We have accumulated the maximum number of rollover minutes allowable, because we don't spend all day blabbing on the phone. We pay our bills on time. We are good customers, but she knows AT&T will lick every nickel they have to keep a customer from getting something without paying some outrageous fee, and she knows that is wrong. But she was powerless to do what she said was "obviously the right thing". She's probably working elsewhere now....

 

AT&T has THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE WORLD, bar none.  All the AT&T fanboys, type till your fingers are bloody nubs; our contract is up soon, and we will be gone along with our money, and we will continue to share the details (we have many) of our horrible experiences with AT&T to the world.  And check out Facebook's "IHATEAT&T" page, there are thousands of members with numbers growing daily.  The stories there prove what SMART business people have been saying for over 100 years "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT". Fixing this mans screen for a small fee? Maybe $20 to AT&T; a happy customer for life? Priceless...

 

What I find absurd (not obsure) is that people like you take time to post such a snarky reply without copying the correct spelling of the key term from the title of the post you are responding to, much less spelling it correctly on your own.  If you want to act like an expert or authority figure, do a little spell checking.

 

Your attitude represents the very heart of all that is bad about AT&T.  Yes, with that attitude I am willing to bet that you are probably a senior customer service director in charge of training new employees.  If not, you should apply, you have all the necessary "skills". 

 

Counting the days until our contract w/ AT&T expires. They took over my old cell phone company Cingular, who I was very happy with, and destroyed cellular customer service for us.  Since the change, I have made numerous inquiries about problems & service, and have never gotten the same answer to the same question twice. Employees read from scripts, but they have no training about what to do in any given situation, and few have any real knowledge of policy, and none have any power to do anything meaningful.  It took us 16 months to get a working phone despite paying for insurance, and doing no damage what so ever to the Garmin Nuvi phone we paid over $250 for @ AT&T store that never worked. We got our attorney to call, and in 2 minutes we have someone @ AT&T telling us we have been due a replacement phone from Day 1. It was at our front door the next day. So we went 16 months without a working phone, and we get no compensation for this service paid for but not recieved. A few days later we were emailed a survey about our experience with AT&T. When I gave them low numbers on the responses, POOF, the page just disappeared before I could send it. So I went back to the original email & re-started, and the same thing happened again and again. They just do not care about how bad they are.

 

Right now we pay about $200/month for Lightning DSL + unlimited phone service w/ long distance + premium cable to another provider.  Their employees are superb, and when we have an issue they do everything in their power to help. They have even helped with problems originating from other equipment, such as our Playstation 3 or XBox.  They win the J.D. Powers Customer Service award year after year. If they had cell service, it would be a no brainer, we'd be with them in a heartbeat, even though we have held AT&T stock for 35+ years (it was inherited or I'd dump it). AT&T, take notes from these people, they know how to provide quality services at a reasonable price with exceptional customer service; if they can do this why can't AT&T?  They treir\d to sell us on U_Verse, but I wouldn't get that if it was free. Our enighbor made the switc from the company we are wih, and is fuming. Lags, pixelation, frequent outages, unreliable service, and no rebate as promised. Now they are telling him he cannot cancel the non-working service for 2 years without paying an exhorbitant cancellation fee.  Welcome to AT&T.

 

One AT&T rep told me that if she was having the horrific time we were having, and she had paid for insurance for 16 months and gotten nothing in return, she would "loose the phone" or "it would fall under the wheel of her car."  She suggested we "buy a go phone at Wal-Mart and use the SIM card from the AT&T Nuvi so that my son would have reliable service" !!! We pay $180/month for 2 phones with 550 minutes each. We have accumulated the maximum number of rollover minutes allowable, because we don't spend all day blabbing on the phone. We pay our bills on time. We are good customers, but she knows AT&T will lick every nickel they have to keep a customer from getting something without paying some outrageous fee, and she knows that is wrong. But she was powerless to do what she said was "obviously the right thing". She's probably working elsewhere now....

 

AT&T has THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE WORLD, bar none.  All the AT&T fanboys, type till your fingers are bloody nubs; our contract is up soon, and we will be gone along with our money, and we will continue to share the details (we have many) of our horrible experiences with AT&T to the world.  And check out Facebook's "IHATEAT&T" page, there are thousands of members with numbers growing daily.  The stories there prove what SMART business people have been saying for over 100 years "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT". Fixing this mans screen for a small fee? Maybe $20 to AT&T; a happy customer for life? Priceless...

 

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

43 of 53 (228 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 6:13:11 AM
0
(0)
Tutor

Yes, I find this absurd and incredibly stupid.  AT&T is it's own worse enemy.  I have replied to the first snary reply you rec'd, with my long story.  Don't want to enter it twice, but want to bring it to your attention so you might read it and see what's contained.  And check out Facebooks "IHATEAT&T" site.  It full of simply amazing stories about AT&T. Can't believe a company that big can act so consistently small.

 

Maybe some day they will see that they could have fixed your broken screen for pennies, and would possibly have earned a customer for life. But thanks to companies like Apple giving bad service providers exclusive rights to a very good product, we were forced to do business with AT&T. But now Verizon has iphones, and thats where we are headed as soon as our AT&T contract expires.  Hope they are better!

 

Good luck, and best wishes...shasha2727

Yes, I find this absurd and incredibly stupid.  AT&T is it's own worse enemy.  I have replied to the first snary reply you rec'd, with my long story.  Don't want to enter it twice, but want to bring it to your attention so you might read it and see what's contained.  And check out Facebooks "IHATEAT&T" site.  It full of simply amazing stories about AT&T. Can't believe a company that big can act so consistently small.

 

Maybe some day they will see that they could have fixed your broken screen for pennies, and would possibly have earned a customer for life. But thanks to companies like Apple giving bad service providers exclusive rights to a very good product, we were forced to do business with AT&T. But now Verizon has iphones, and thats where we are headed as soon as our AT&T contract expires.  Hope they are better!

 

Good luck, and best wishes...shasha2727

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

44 of 53 (228 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 6:26:04 AM
0
(0)
Tutor
OMG, a voice of reason from within the walls of the AT&T fortress?

Perhaps there is hope for AT&T after all. Now just get yourself promoted to VP (we all know the president does no meaningful work). Clone yourself repeatedly and train the minions to do things YOUR way. You will win over millions of new customer accounts without reducing your prices one penny. And the positive feedback will result in millions of dollars worth of free advertising, the kind that no amount of money can buy.

I just wish you had answered the phone on any one of my 86 calls pleading for help w/ bad Garmin Nuvi phone.

BEST WISHES!
OMG, a voice of reason from within the walls of the AT&T fortress?

Perhaps there is hope for AT&T after all. Now just get yourself promoted to VP (we all know the president does no meaningful work). Clone yourself repeatedly and train the minions to do things YOUR way. You will win over millions of new customer accounts without reducing your prices one penny. And the positive feedback will result in millions of dollars worth of free advertising, the kind that no amount of money can buy.

I just wish you had answered the phone on any one of my 86 calls pleading for help w/ bad Garmin Nuvi phone.

BEST WISHES!

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

45 of 53 (228 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 6:41:30 AM
0
(0)
Tutor

The list of things AT&T DOESN'T DO will always be the longest.  Just because AT&T doesn't provide a particular service doesn't mean they cannot be polite & courteous when telling you how to have repairs made, etc.  AT&T has lost it, long ago. Customer service techs cannot provide consistent or correct information, and many are obviously angry at the world, and that shows through to the poor customer who is already frustrated with a non-working product/service they have paid top dollar for. They are probably just sick of being the buffer for the policy makers hiding in their padded cubicles, forcing them to deliver the message that infuriates the already abuse worn consumer. Don't kill the messenger, I alway say.

 

Check out Facebook's "IHATEAT&T".  It's full of smack yourself in the forehead STUPID things done by AT&T to it's "valued customers". AT&T should take tips from Bright House, a company with excellent products, prices, and the best customer service around.

The list of things AT&T DOESN'T DO will always be the longest.  Just because AT&T doesn't provide a particular service doesn't mean they cannot be polite & courteous when telling you how to have repairs made, etc.  AT&T has lost it, long ago. Customer service techs cannot provide consistent or correct information, and many are obviously angry at the world, and that shows through to the poor customer who is already frustrated with a non-working product/service they have paid top dollar for. They are probably just sick of being the buffer for the policy makers hiding in their padded cubicles, forcing them to deliver the message that infuriates the already abuse worn consumer. Don't kill the messenger, I alway say.

 

Check out Facebook's "IHATEAT&T".  It's full of smack yourself in the forehead STUPID things done by AT&T to it's "valued customers". AT&T should take tips from Bright House, a company with excellent products, prices, and the best customer service around.

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

46 of 53 (225 Views)
Highlighted
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 7:01:17 AM
0
(0)
Tutor

Not that you give a rat's rump, but I am one of the little people that make AT&T #2.  I am an AT&T wireless customer, but not by choice.  They hijacked Cingular, a company I was very happy with, leaving me with the only option of paying $175 per line to get out from under their big fat clumsy thumb.  Then the nice people at APPLE made the very bad choice of giving AT&T the iPhone, IMHO the best product on the market, so again, with a gun to my head, I reluctantly become one the the people AT&T counts as part of it's customer base. People like me, and the 16 other family members I bring with me make AT&T #2. Even if you add every single employee AT&T has to it's rolls, you will still never replace me, THE CUSTOMER.  Remember, if you work for AT&T, you work for me, and AT&T exists to serve US, but is doing a very poor job these days. 

 

Check out Facebooks IHATEAT&T site. It's good reading.  We have AT&T stock, had it over 30 years, but we are holding out for Sprint to get the iPhone. So as soon as our contractual obligations are up, we and our money are gone. Not that #2 cares. Remember, #2 is supposed to "try harder".  Maybe AT&T should replace the orange in it's logo with brown. That's appropriate with this #2....

Not that you give a rat's rump, but I am one of the little people that make AT&T #2.  I am an AT&T wireless customer, but not by choice.  They hijacked Cingular, a company I was very happy with, leaving me with the only option of paying $175 per line to get out from under their big fat clumsy thumb.  Then the nice people at APPLE made the very bad choice of giving AT&T the iPhone, IMHO the best product on the market, so again, with a gun to my head, I reluctantly become one the the people AT&T counts as part of it's customer base. People like me, and the 16 other family members I bring with me make AT&T #2. Even if you add every single employee AT&T has to it's rolls, you will still never replace me, THE CUSTOMER.  Remember, if you work for AT&T, you work for me, and AT&T exists to serve US, but is doing a very poor job these days. 

 

Check out Facebooks IHATEAT&T site. It's good reading.  We have AT&T stock, had it over 30 years, but we are holding out for Sprint to get the iPhone. So as soon as our contractual obligations are up, we and our money are gone. Not that #2 cares. Remember, #2 is supposed to "try harder".  Maybe AT&T should replace the orange in it's logo with brown. That's appropriate with this #2....

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

47 of 53 (224 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 7:26:23 AM
0
(0)
Former Employee

Actually Cingular bought AT&T and then renamed themselves to AT&T since AT&T had a better brand recognition.

Actually Cingular bought AT&T and then renamed themselves to AT&T since AT&T had a better brand recognition.

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

48 of 53 (222 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 7:32:23 AM
0
(0)
Former Employee
Edited by drumn_bass on Jul 14, 2011 at 7:40:40 AM

shasha2727 wrote:

But now Verizon has iphones, and thats where we are headed as soon as our AT&T contract expires.  Hope they are better!

 


They're not, their iPhone handling policies are the same as AT&T's, because you know, IT'S APPLE'S POLICY! Apple said they're the only ones fixing or replacing iPhones, why is there still a problem? You guys keep saying AT&T is bad because they "refuse" to fix brocken iPhone, yet everyone's favorite Apple is the one who won't let them. Logic people, please.


shasha2727 wrote:

But now Verizon has iphones, and thats where we are headed as soon as our AT&T contract expires.  Hope they are better!

 


They're not, their iPhone handling policies are the same as AT&T's, because you know, IT'S APPLE'S POLICY! Apple said they're the only ones fixing or replacing iPhones, why is there still a problem? You guys keep saying AT&T is bad because they "refuse" to fix brocken iPhone, yet everyone's favorite Apple is the one who won't let them. Logic people, please.

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

[ Edited ]
49 of 53 (221 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 8:08:48 AM
0
(0)
Professor
Why do people always think "yeah, just give the store away, and you'll have a customer for life"? Its not that simple, and in the vast majority of cases just does not work.

People, in general, are "me-centric." They want what they want. When they get that, they want more. "Loyalty" is really, I'll-stick-around-until-somebody-offers-me-better. Then you're gone. Which is, maybe, how it should be. We all have that right. Just don't call it loyalty, when it's not.

I'm not saying thete should be, but there are few, true, customers for life.
Why do people always think "yeah, just give the store away, and you'll have a customer for life"? Its not that simple, and in the vast majority of cases just does not work.

People, in general, are "me-centric." They want what they want. When they get that, they want more. "Loyalty" is really, I'll-stick-around-until-somebody-offers-me-better. Then you're gone. Which is, maybe, how it should be. We all have that right. Just don't call it loyalty, when it's not.

I'm not saying thete should be, but there are few, true, customers for life.

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

50 of 53 (212 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 8:22:49 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Jul 14, 2011 at 8:24:19 AM
___________________________________________________________________
shasha2727 wrote:
But now Verizon has iphones, and thats where we are headed as soon as our AT&T contract expires.  Hope they are better!
___________________________________________________________________

This doesn't quite make sense to me: you're wanting to head to Verizon when your AT&T contract is up, but then you say this? "We have AT&T stock, had it over 30 years, but we are holding out for Sprint to get the iPhone."

So...what's your plan for this? Wait for Sprint to get the iPhone (which they probably never will, they can't quite handle it yet) before your contract expires then head to Sprint? Or maybe go to Verizon and then later switch to Sprint for the iPhone (again, if they ever get it)?

Seems to me like the iPhone should have either never been introduced to the cellular industry or should have just stayed being offered on AT&T only. Too many people want the iPhone, and it seems to be a dealbreaker for some. "Oh, we want the iPhone but we don't like AT&T. Let's go to Verizon!" Or maybe, "Verizon is too expensive, what should we do next with our iPhones?" The phone itself should never be the deciding factor, people. The service should always come first.



 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



___________________________________________________________________
shasha2727 wrote:
But now Verizon has iphones, and thats where we are headed as soon as our AT&T contract expires.  Hope they are better!
___________________________________________________________________

This doesn't quite make sense to me: you're wanting to head to Verizon when your AT&T contract is up, but then you say this? "We have AT&T stock, had it over 30 years, but we are holding out for Sprint to get the iPhone."

So...what's your plan for this? Wait for Sprint to get the iPhone (which they probably never will, they can't quite handle it yet) before your contract expires then head to Sprint? Or maybe go to Verizon and then later switch to Sprint for the iPhone (again, if they ever get it)?

Seems to me like the iPhone should have either never been introduced to the cellular industry or should have just stayed being offered on AT&T only. Too many people want the iPhone, and it seems to be a dealbreaker for some. "Oh, we want the iPhone but we don't like AT&T. Let's go to Verizon!" Or maybe, "Verizon is too expensive, what should we do next with our iPhones?" The phone itself should never be the deciding factor, people. The service should always come first.



 

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:



Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

[ Edited ]
51 of 53 (231 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 9:30:45 AM
0
(0)
Expert

Wild Banchi wrote:
___________________________________________________________________
shasha2727 wrote:
But now Verizon has iphones, and thats where we are headed as soon as our AT&T contract expires.  Hope they are better!
___________________________________________________________________

This doesn't quite make sense to me: you're wanting to head to Verizon when your AT&T contract is up, but then you say this? "We have AT&T stock, had it over 30 years, but we are holding out for Sprint to get the iPhone."

So...what's your plan for this? Wait for Sprint to get the iPhone (which they probably never will, they can't quite handle it yet) before your contract expires then head to Sprint? Or maybe go to Verizon and then later switch to Sprint for the iPhone (again, if they ever get it)?

Seems to me like the iPhone should have either never been introduced to the cellular industry or should have just stayed being offered on AT&T only. Too many people want the iPhone, and it seems to be a dealbreaker for some. "Oh, we want the iPhone but we don't like AT&T. Let's go to Verizon!" Or maybe, "Verizon is too expensive, what should we do next with our iPhones?" The phone itself should never be the deciding factor, people. The service should always come first.



 


gues they are unaware that Verizon no longer has a unlimited data plan AND they tiered data plan is more expensive then ATT's - plus if a Iphone, you still have to take it to Apple to be handled.


Wild Banchi wrote:
___________________________________________________________________
shasha2727 wrote:
But now Verizon has iphones, and thats where we are headed as soon as our AT&T contract expires.  Hope they are better!
___________________________________________________________________

This doesn't quite make sense to me: you're wanting to head to Verizon when your AT&T contract is up, but then you say this? "We have AT&T stock, had it over 30 years, but we are holding out for Sprint to get the iPhone."

So...what's your plan for this? Wait for Sprint to get the iPhone (which they probably never will, they can't quite handle it yet) before your contract expires then head to Sprint? Or maybe go to Verizon and then later switch to Sprint for the iPhone (again, if they ever get it)?

Seems to me like the iPhone should have either never been introduced to the cellular industry or should have just stayed being offered on AT&T only. Too many people want the iPhone, and it seems to be a dealbreaker for some. "Oh, we want the iPhone but we don't like AT&T. Let's go to Verizon!" Or maybe, "Verizon is too expensive, what should we do next with our iPhones?" The phone itself should never be the deciding factor, people. The service should always come first.



 


gues they are unaware that Verizon no longer has a unlimited data plan AND they tiered data plan is more expensive then ATT's - plus if a Iphone, you still have to take it to Apple to be handled.

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

52 of 53 (219 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 11:42:04 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

wingrider01 wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:
___________________________________________________________________
shasha2727 wrote:
But now Verizon has iphones, and thats where we are headed as soon as our AT&T contract expires.  Hope they are better!
___________________________________________________________________

This doesn't quite make sense to me: you're wanting to head to Verizon when your AT&T contract is up, but then you say this? "We have AT&T stock, had it over 30 years, but we are holding out for Sprint to get the iPhone."

So...what's your plan for this? Wait for Sprint to get the iPhone (which they probably never will, they can't quite handle it yet) before your contract expires then head to Sprint? Or maybe go to Verizon and then later switch to Sprint for the iPhone (again, if they ever get it)?

Seems to me like the iPhone should have either never been introduced to the cellular industry or should have just stayed being offered on AT&T only. Too many people want the iPhone, and it seems to be a dealbreaker for some. "Oh, we want the iPhone but we don't like AT&T. Let's go to Verizon!" Or maybe, "Verizon is too expensive, what should we do next with our iPhones?" The phone itself should never be the deciding factor, people. The service should always come first.



 


gues they are unaware that Verizon no longer has a unlimited data plan AND they tiered data plan is more expensive then ATT's - plus if a Iphone, you still have to take it to Apple to be handled.


Right. It seems like sometimes, it never turns out as someone would expect it to. Either that, or it's just the customer never wins...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy




wingrider01 wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:
___________________________________________________________________
shasha2727 wrote:
But now Verizon has iphones, and thats where we are headed as soon as our AT&T contract expires.  Hope they are better!
___________________________________________________________________

This doesn't quite make sense to me: you're wanting to head to Verizon when your AT&T contract is up, but then you say this? "We have AT&T stock, had it over 30 years, but we are holding out for Sprint to get the iPhone."

So...what's your plan for this? Wait for Sprint to get the iPhone (which they probably never will, they can't quite handle it yet) before your contract expires then head to Sprint? Or maybe go to Verizon and then later switch to Sprint for the iPhone (again, if they ever get it)?

Seems to me like the iPhone should have either never been introduced to the cellular industry or should have just stayed being offered on AT&T only. Too many people want the iPhone, and it seems to be a dealbreaker for some. "Oh, we want the iPhone but we don't like AT&T. Let's go to Verizon!" Or maybe, "Verizon is too expensive, what should we do next with our iPhones?" The phone itself should never be the deciding factor, people. The service should always come first.



 


gues they are unaware that Verizon no longer has a unlimited data plan AND they tiered data plan is more expensive then ATT's - plus if a Iphone, you still have to take it to Apple to be handled.


Right. It seems like sometimes, it never turns out as someone would expect it to. Either that, or it's just the customer never wins...

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:



Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

53 of 53 (205 Views)
Share this post
Share this post