Does anyone else find this absurd?

Contributor

Does anyone else find this absurd?

I bought a refurb 16g iPhone 3GS in Febuary 2010. Yesterday I dropped it and cracked the glass. I went to an Att store today looking to replace it with a $49.99 3GS. They told me I had to pay full price ($400 some for a phone model that is 3 years old) or wait until September when I'm eligible for an upgrade. I am a good costumer who pays his bills on time. I am (was) planning to stay with Att so it's not like I am trying to rob them. I don't think think getting a replacement (not an upgrade) for a low price Is so unreasonable. Now I am stuck with a working but broken phone for the next two months. I am now considering Verizon come next Febuary but probably won't have better luck with them. My next phone I will be purchasing Apple Care. Apple treats there costumers better than this. Does anyone else find this completely absurd?
Message 1 of 53 (1,315 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

The list of things AT&T DOESN'T DO will always be the longest.  Just because AT&T doesn't provide a particular service doesn't mean they cannot be polite & courteous when telling you how to have repairs made, etc.  AT&T has lost it, long ago. Customer service techs cannot provide consistent or correct information, and many are obviously angry at the world, and that shows through to the poor customer who is already frustrated with a non-working product/service they have paid top dollar for. They are probably just sick of being the buffer for the policy makers hiding in their padded cubicles, forcing them to deliver the message that infuriates the already abuse worn consumer. Don't kill the messenger, I alway say.

Check out Facebook's "IHATEAT&T".  It's full of smack yourself in the forehead STUPID things done by AT&T to it's "valued customers". AT&T should take tips from Bright House, a company with excellent products, prices, and the best customer service around.

Message 46 of 53 (289 Views)

Not that you give a rat's rump, but I am one of the little people that make AT&T #2.  I am an AT&T wireless customer, but not by choice.  They hijacked Cingular, a company I was very happy with, leaving me with the only option of paying $175 per line to get out from under their big fat clumsy thumb.  Then the nice people at APPLE made the very bad choice of giving AT&T the iPhone, IMHO the best product on the market, so again, with a gun to my head, I reluctantly become one the the people AT&T counts as part of it's customer base. People like me, and the 16 other family members I bring with me make AT&T #2. Even if you add every single employee AT&T has to it's rolls, you will still never replace me, THE CUSTOMER.  Remember, if you work for AT&T, you work for me, and AT&T exists to serve US, but is doing a very poor job these days. 

Check out Facebooks IHATEAT&T site. It's good reading.  We have AT&T stock, had it over 30 years, but we are holding out for Sprint to get the iPhone. So as soon as our contractual obligations are up, we and our money are gone. Not that #2 cares. Remember, #2 is supposed to "try harder".  Maybe AT&T should replace the orange in it's logo with brown. That's appropriate with this #2....

Message 47 of 53 (288 Views)
Former Employee

Actually Cingular bought AT&T and then renamed themselves to AT&T since AT&T had a better brand recognition.

Message 48 of 53 (286 Views)
Former Employee

[ Edited ]

shasha2727 wrote:

But now Verizon has iphones, and thats where we are headed as soon as our AT&T contract expires.  Hope they are better!

They're not, their iPhone handling policies are the same as AT&T's, because you know, IT'S APPLE'S POLICY! Apple said they're the only ones fixing or replacing iPhones, why is there still a problem? You guys keep saying AT&T is bad because they "refuse" to fix brocken iPhone, yet everyone's favorite Apple is the one who won't let them. Logic people, please.

Message 49 of 53 (285 Views)
Professor

Why do people always think "yeah, just give the store away, and you'll have a customer for life"? Its not that simple, and in the vast majority of cases just does not work.

People, in general, are "me-centric." They want what they want. When they get that, they want more. "Loyalty" is really, I'll-stick-around-until-somebody-offers-me-better. Then you're gone. Which is, maybe, how it should be. We all have that right. Just don't call it loyalty, when it's not.

I'm not saying thete should be, but there are few, true, customers for life.
Message 50 of 53 (276 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

This doesn't quite make sense to me: you're wanting to head to Verizon when your AT&T contract is up, but then you say this? "We have AT&T stock, had it over 30 years, but we are holding out for Sprint to get the iPhone."

So...what's your plan for this? Wait for Sprint to get the iPhone (which they probably never will, they can't quite handle it yet) before your contract expires then head to Sprint? Or maybe go to Verizon and then later switch to Sprint for the iPhone (again, if they ever get it)?

Seems to me like the iPhone should have either never been introduced to the cellular industry or should have just stayed being offered on AT&T only. Too many people want the iPhone, and it seems to be a dealbreaker for some. "Oh, we want the iPhone but we don't like AT&T. Let's go to Verizon!" Or maybe, "Verizon is too expensive, what should we do next with our iPhones?" The phone itself should never be the deciding factor, people. The service should always come first.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 51 of 53 (295 Views)
Expert

Wild Banchi wrote:

This doesn't quite make sense to me: you're wanting to head to Verizon when your AT&T contract is up, but then you say this? "We have AT&T stock, had it over 30 years, but we are holding out for Sprint to get the iPhone."

So...what's your plan for this? Wait for Sprint to get the iPhone (which they probably never will, they can't quite handle it yet) before your contract expires then head to Sprint? Or maybe go to Verizon and then later switch to Sprint for the iPhone (again, if they ever get it)?

Seems to me like the iPhone should have either never been introduced to the cellular industry or should have just stayed being offered on AT&T only. Too many people want the iPhone, and it seems to be a dealbreaker for some. "Oh, we want the iPhone but we don't like AT&T. Let's go to Verizon!" Or maybe, "Verizon is too expensive, what should we do next with our iPhones?" The phone itself should never be the deciding factor, people. The service should always come first.

gues they are unaware that Verizon no longer has a unlimited data plan AND they tiered data plan is more expensive then ATT's - plus if a Iphone, you still have to take it to Apple to be handled.

Message 52 of 53 (283 Views)
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

gues they are unaware that Verizon no longer has a unlimited data plan AND they tiered data plan is more expensive then ATT's - plus if a Iphone, you still have to take it to Apple to be handled.

Right. It seems like sometimes, it never turns out as someone would expect it to. Either that, or it's just the customer never wins...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 53 of 53 (269 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.