Helpful Links

Does anyone else find this absurd?

Contributor

Does anyone else find this absurd?

I bought a refurb 16g iPhone 3GS in Febuary 2010. Yesterday I dropped it and cracked the glass. I went to an Att store today looking to replace it with a $49.99 3GS. They told me I had to pay full price ($400 some for a phone model that is 3 years old) or wait until September when I'm eligible for an upgrade. I am a good costumer who pays his bills on time. I am (was) planning to stay with Att so it's not like I am trying to rob them. I don't think think getting a replacement (not an upgrade) for a low price Is so unreasonable. Now I am stuck with a working but broken phone for the next two months. I am now considering Verizon come next Febuary but probably won't have better luck with them. My next phone I will be purchasing Apple Care. Apple treats there costumers better than this. Does anyone else find this completely absurd?
1,360 Views
Message 1 of 53
Highlighted
Scholar

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

AT&T and Apple since the iPhone first was sold have stated that all warranty work is handled by Apple. Period.Where is this a problem for you?
Message 16 of 53
Master

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

 


wireless-user wrote:

Fiercekitty wrote:
Nice thoughtful comment..and some vry good points but..

Fact of matter is att doesn't deal w anything hardware related to iphones. And that's per Apple..not att

AT&T "could" replace the device as easily as Apple. But AT&T would rather wave the TOS in your face rather than help you.

 

Don't think I'd expect AT&T to repair anything.


Regardless if you like or do not like the TOS, do you really want ATT handling the hardware and software service of your iPhone? NO!  Apple has the people and equipment to make a hardware situation right.  ATT is just selling a service.  The sale of phones, iPhones and others, is a means to that end.  Apple sells the whole user experience.

_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 17 of 53

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?


youngjm wrote:

 Regardless if you like or do not like the TOS, do you really want ATT handling the hardware and software service of your iPhone? NO!  Apple has the people and equipment to make a hardware situation right.  ATT is just selling a service.  The sale of phones, iPhones and others, is a means to that end.  Apple sells the whole user experience.



Here's what I would like to see, although it will never happen.

 

If a client's AT&T subsidized device fails due to the client's misuse (i.e. not a warranty issue),  for AT&T to offer a refurbished replacement under the following terms:

 

- at the subsidized price, if

- the client extends their contract by 1 year

- only one such replacement allowed in the original warranty period

- AT&T retains the broken device

 

If the device is out of warranty then it's either at full retail, or the client has the option to go to Apple or a 3rd party for repair.

 

Currently, AT&T offers nothing.

 

Imagine how they'd improve their customer retention if they showed some creativity. Customer retention isn't free,  you have to work at it every day, unfortunately many companies treat their existing customers like trash because they're locked into a contract.  Call to cancel your account and you'll be transferred to the customer loyalty department who will try to keep your business.

 

Preventing the initial cancellation call should be the goal of every account manager.

 

"ATT is just selling a service. "   and there is the shortfall in your thinking.  If they were truly selling a "service" as you claim it would be an end to end service, all inclusive. Instead, the carrier service is provided by AT&T and the handset service by Apple?  Kind of silly but understandable in today's convoluted business environment.

 

 

 

 

 

Message 18 of 53
Professor

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

My son recently dropped his iPhone 4 and shattered the glass in front and cracked it on the back. The phone still functioned but pieces of glass were falling off. He'd only had it 10 months, but I went to the Apple store fully expecting to pay a $199 out of warranty replacement price for a refurb. I was pleased to find it out they were willing to replace it for the refurb at not cost. They did say it is a one time thing. I was not totally surprised though. A coworker recently washed his 3GS, which he only had for around 3 months, in his pant pocket and they replaced it at no cost, also stating it is a one time thing. I'm not sure of the reason for the generosity, but it certainly was welcome.

Message 19 of 53

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?


sitnsidewayz wrote:

My son recently dropped his iPhone 4 and shattered the glass in front and cracked it on the back. The phone still functioned but pieces of glass were falling off. He'd only had it 10 months, but I went to the Apple store fully expecting to pay a $199 out of warranty replacement price for a refurb. I was pleased to find it out they were willing to replace it for the refurb at not cost. They did say it is a one time thing. I was not totally surprised though. A coworker recently washed his 3GS, which he only had for around 3 months, in his pant pocket and they replaced it at no cost, also stating it is a one time thing. I'm not sure of the reason for the generosity, but it certainly was welcome.


I have had similar experience at an Apple store, even with a JB and unlocked iPhone 4.   Yet there are people on this blog who insist that Apple doesn't do things like this...   Possibly we use the same Apple store ;-)

 

It never hurts to ask.......

 

 

 

 

Message 20 of 53

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

I'm sure it does happen, however, as a 'corporate policy' obviously each individual Apple store is not obligated to follow this generous 'one time only' type fix/replacement practice.

Message 21 of 53

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?


DimentoGraven wrote:

I'm sure it does happen, however, as a 'corporate policy' obviously each individual Apple store is not obligated to follow this generous 'one time only' type fix/replacement practice.


But - if you don't ask,  you'll never know.

 

 

Message 22 of 53

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?


wireless-user wrote:

 

But - if you don't ask,  you'll never know. 


Absolutely agreed, however, don't get mad if the store you go to happens to say, "No."

Message 23 of 53
Contributor

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

Problem solved. Made Genius Bar appointment and had screen replaced. Had to pay but it was a reasonable price. Funny thing, Apple Store employees were all smiles and how may I help you. ATT store empoyees were all we can't help you unless you pay full price for 3 year old model phone or sign a new contract. At least a nod to the Apple Store would have been helpful from ATT store. Reaffirms why I am an Apple guy and always will be an Apple guy!
Message 24 of 53
Master

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

Glad to hear that your screen was fixed and now rules that your phone is completely functional. Apple, I would say, is a more balanced company probably because they make high-quality products, have fewer complaints, and mechanical issues are not too common with their "i" products and other computers. They are also not quite as large of a company and don't provide a nationwide service, but more of a product for people to use and enjoy.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 25 of 53

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?


shagstudios2004 wrote:
Problem solved. Made Genius Bar appointment and had screen replaced. Had to pay but it was a reasonable price. Funny thing, Apple Store employees were all smiles and how may I help you. ATT store empoyees were all we can't help you unless you pay full price for 3 year old model phone or sign a new contract. At least a nod to the Apple Store would have been helpful from ATT store. Reaffirms why I am an Apple guy and always will be an Apple guy!

The usual AT&T lack of help..

 

Good to hear Apple worked it to your satisfaction,  that's what Apple knows and AT&T will "never" learn.

 

Sorry all you AT&T fanboys,   but AT&T lost it years ago.

 

 

 

 

Message 26 of 53
Professor

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?


wireless-user wrote:

shagstudios2004 wrote:
Problem solved. Made Genius Bar appointment and had screen replaced. Had to pay but it was a reasonable price. Funny thing, Apple Store employees were all smiles and how may I help you. ATT store empoyees were all we can't help you unless you pay full price for 3 year old model phone or sign a new contract. At least a nod to the Apple Store would have been helpful from ATT store. Reaffirms why I am an Apple guy and always will be an Apple guy!

The usual AT&T lack of help..

 

Good to hear Apple worked it to your satisfaction,  that's what Apple knows and AT&T will "never" learn.

 

Sorry all you AT&T fanboys,   but AT&T lost it years ago.

 

 

 

 


And the usual anti-AT&T rant.  The fact remains is that AT&T doesn't repair phones that people break.  They don't take phones apart, and they don't replace the glass on iPhones, Motorola phones, Samsung phones, and so on.  They aren't a repair shop for warranty repairs.  Apple is for their iPhones.  It's not lousy customer service, it's simply something AT&T doesn't do.  Every AT&T store can't possibly have on-site repair capability for every different phone they sell.  They just sell them and the service.

Message 27 of 53

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?


dwill05 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

shagstudios2004 wrote:
Problem solved. Made Genius Bar appointment and had screen replaced. Had to pay but it was a reasonable price. Funny thing, Apple Store employees were all smiles and how may I help you. ATT store empoyees were all we can't help you unless you pay full price for 3 year old model phone or sign a new contract. At least a nod to the Apple Store would have been helpful from ATT store. Reaffirms why I am an Apple guy and always will be an Apple guy!

The usual AT&T lack of help..

 

Good to hear Apple worked it to your satisfaction,  that's what Apple knows and AT&T will "never" learn.

 

Sorry all you AT&T fanboys,   but AT&T lost it years ago.

 

 

 

 


And the usual anti-AT&T rant.  The fact remains is that AT&T doesn't repair phones that people break.  They don't take phones apart, and they don't replace the glass on iPhones, Motorola phones, Samsung phones, and so on.  They aren't a repair shop for warranty repairs.  Apple is for their iPhones.  It's not lousy customer service, it's simply something AT&T doesn't do.  Every AT&T store can't possibly have on-site repair capability for every different phone they sell.  They just sell them and the service.


No, it's not the usual anti AT&T rant, it's far from it.  or are you the usual AT&T apologist?

 

AT&T has great opportunity to resolve customer problems, they choose to not implement processes and procedures to be a "full" service provider.

 

Not asking them to repair anything, but they can be a conduit to resolve the customer's (their customer's) problem. Instead they ignore the customer and blindly go where many failed companies have already gone.

 

Verizon now has the iPhone, industry rumors are Sprint will have it by year end. 

 

AT&T is being challenged and they're too stupid to give customers a reason to stay loyal.

 

 

Tags (1)
Message 28 of 53
Expert

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?


wireless-user wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

shagstudios2004 wrote:
Problem solved. Made Genius Bar appointment and had screen replaced. Had to pay but it was a reasonable price. Funny thing, Apple Store employees were all smiles and how may I help you. ATT store empoyees were all we can't help you unless you pay full price for 3 year old model phone or sign a new contract. At least a nod to the Apple Store would have been helpful from ATT store. Reaffirms why I am an Apple guy and always will be an Apple guy!

The usual AT&T lack of help..

 

Good to hear Apple worked it to your satisfaction,  that's what Apple knows and AT&T will "never" learn.

 

Sorry all you AT&T fanboys,   but AT&T lost it years ago.

 

 

 

 


And the usual anti-AT&T rant.  The fact remains is that AT&T doesn't repair phones that people break.  They don't take phones apart, and they don't replace the glass on iPhones, Motorola phones, Samsung phones, and so on.  They aren't a repair shop for warranty repairs.  Apple is for their iPhones.  It's not lousy customer service, it's simply something AT&T doesn't do.  Every AT&T store can't possibly have on-site repair capability for every different phone they sell.  They just sell them and the service.


No, it's not the usual anti AT&T rant, it's far from it.  or are you the usual AT&T apologist?

 

AT&T has great opportunity to resolve customer problems, they choose to not implement processes and procedures to be a "full" service provider.

 

Not asking them to repair anything, but they can be a conduit to resolve the customer's (their customer's) problem. Instead they ignore the customer and blindly go where many failed companies have already gone.

 

Verizon now has the iPhone, industry rumors are Sprint will have it by year end. 

 

AT&T is being challenged and they're too stupid to give customers a reason to stay loyal.

 

 


Iphones are serviced by Apple, contrary to your diatribe ATT must be doing something right for their customers since they are number 2 in total number wireless users. Find it amusing that the last bastion of a arguement is the statement that you are a att fanboi or apologist if you disagree with the posters feelings that ATT is the worst company in the world

 

Think pigs will fly when Sprint gets the Iphone, they don't have the financial infrastructure in place to enter into the contract, they are still struggling to recover from the disaster of the Nextel merger. If they do get it pretty sure it will be the new low end budget model that is rumored to show up soon.

 


 

Tags (1)
Message 29 of 53
Former Employee

Re: Does anyone else find this absurd?

"Verizon now has the iPhone, industry rumors are Sprint will have it by year end. 

 

AT&T is being challenged and they're too stupid to give customers a reason to stay loyal."

 

So what? Does Verizon repair iPhones? Or do you think their 2 year contract and upgrade policies are any better than AT&T's? Think again. If you have a wireless service issue, or for example voice mail problem, Apple will do NOTHING for you, they will send you to AT&T, because they're hardware/software company, not a service provider. Apple can't even replace a SIM card, does it make them the worst company ever? How come they're not a "full service" company, "end to end service, all inclusive", what a lousy business model, right? Does anyone else find this absurd? Come on guys, think.

Message 30 of 53
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support