Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 11, 2011
4:59:33 PM
View profile
Does Skyrocket use special LTE-capable SIM?

Ok, this is where AT&T reps confused me. Some said that Skyrocket uses special LTE-capable SIM, others said that you don't need special sim, it uses exact same thing as all other phones.

So does Skyrocket require LTE-capable sim? Or can I just use sim from non-lte phones? I've heard that Skyrocket and any other LTE phone uses special sim for LTE speed, but you can any sim but it won't do LTE, is that true?

Cheers.

Ok, this is where AT&T reps confused me. Some said that Skyrocket uses special LTE-capable SIM, others said that you don't need special sim, it uses exact same thing as all other phones.

So does Skyrocket require LTE-capable sim? Or can I just use sim from non-lte phones? I've heard that Skyrocket and any other LTE phone uses special sim for LTE speed, but you can any sim but it won't do LTE, is that true?

Cheers.

Does Skyrocket use special LTE-capable SIM?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2011 5:05:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I am 90% sure that the Skyrocket as well as other "4G" or actual 4G LTE phones use a standard SIM with nothing fancy. The only difference a "4G"/4G phone has compared to other smartphones is the special data plan type.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

I am 90% sure that the Skyrocket as well as other "4G" or actual 4G LTE phones use a standard SIM with nothing fancy. The only difference a "4G"/4G phone has compared to other smartphones is the special data plan type.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Does Skyrocket use special LTE-capable SIM?

2 of 11 (7,622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2011 6:40:31 PM
(0)
Professor
The similar only contains account information. It wouldn't make a significant difference on to use a new card. The only time it would matter would be if they changed the format of the data, and if they did that of would cause way to many problems.
The similar only contains account information. It wouldn't make a significant difference on to use a new card. The only time it would matter would be if they changed the format of the data, and if they did that of would cause way to many problems.

3 of 11 (7,607 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2011 7:11:22 PM
(0)
Guru
Im using the sim from my infuse and getting LTE speed on my Skyrocket. Avg 25Mbs down 12up
Im using the sim from my infuse and getting LTE speed on my Skyrocket. Avg 25Mbs down 12up

4 of 11 (7,599 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 2:56:18 AM
(0)
Tutor
Just bought the skyrocket and they gave me a new 4g LTE Sim card. He said my old Sim would run the phone but I would never receive the 4g lte speeds when in an area that has the lte. He gave it to me @ no charge. He said there is only a Sim charge if you ruined your old Sim or lost it.
Just bought the skyrocket and they gave me a new 4g LTE Sim card. He said my old Sim would run the phone but I would never receive the 4g lte speeds when in an area that has the lte. He gave it to me @ no charge. He said there is only a Sim charge if you ruined your old Sim or lost it.

5 of 11 (7,270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 6:46:59 AM
(0)
Master

nailbizarre wrote:

That's not correct. As posted above, you can use your old SIM card as long as your data plan has been migrated to LTE data plan. Also, AT&T typically gives you a new SIM card when buying new phones. They never really charge you for the SIM card even if your old one is ruined or lost.

nailbizarre wrote:

That's not correct. As posted above, you can use your old SIM card as long as your data plan has been migrated to LTE data plan. Also, AT&T typically gives you a new SIM card when buying new phones. They never really charge you for the SIM card even if your old one is ruined or lost.

6 of 11 (7,263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 2:03:57 PM
(0)
Employee

You need SKU 73057, which you may already have on a previous device. This is the orange and blue SIM that does not have the 3G fireball on it.

That is why some of you may be able to switch SIM's  and others won't. To the best of my knowledge the older SIMS will not work after the network notices them.

You need SKU 73057, which you may already have on a previous device. This is the orange and blue SIM that does not have the 3G fireball on it.

That is why some of you may be able to switch SIM's  and others won't. To the best of my knowledge the older SIMS will not work after the network notices them.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 11 (7,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 6:56:08 PM
(0)
Scholar

actually someone from the att store tried to charge me for an att lte sim card I was like stop don't pull that junk

actually someone from the att store tried to charge me for an att lte sim card I was like stop don't pull that junk

8 of 11 (7,231 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2012 5:27:06 AM
(0)
Scholar

How does LTE plan differes from 3G plan? I original unlimited data plan for smarthphones, would that automatically upgraded when I put new SIM card in or what will happen ?

How does LTE plan differes from 3G plan? I original unlimited data plan for smarthphones, would that automatically upgraded when I put new SIM card in or what will happen ?

9 of 11 (6,923 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2012 6:17:22 AM
(0)
Master
Someone has to migrate your old plan to new lte plan on your accout. Otherwise you will not get any connection. Typically it is done when you upgrade your phone at stores.

There is no real difference between plans b lte phones require your account to have the correct plan to work. Same for other 4g phones.
Someone has to migrate your old plan to new lte plan on your accout. Otherwise you will not get any connection. Typically it is done when you upgrade your phone at stores.

There is no real difference between plans b lte phones require your account to have the correct plan to work. Same for other 4g phones.

10 of 11 (6,920 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2012 2:45:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

I got my Skyrocket and my plan was migrated as expected to LTE but representative told me that plan is bound to IMEI of my phone not SIM card. Is it true? Can I get another LTE device put my SIM card in and start working or I have to go through activation again?

Thanks,

I got my Skyrocket and my plan was migrated as expected to LTE but representative told me that plan is bound to IMEI of my phone not SIM card. Is it true? Can I get another LTE device put my SIM card in and start working or I have to go through activation again?

Thanks,

11 of 11 (5,740 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments