Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 1, 2011
8:06:31 PM
View profile
Does/Can Anyone Make It on 200MB Data Package from AT&T?

The title asks it all....

Does/Can Anyone Make It on 200MB Data Package from AT&T?

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2011 8:14:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
I could, but my usage is not typical.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Does/Can Anyone Make It on 200MB Data Package from AT&T?

2 of 9 (1,512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2011 5:22:55 AM
(0)
Scholar

Judson50 wrote:

I do and it's plenty for me.  I have wireless at home/work and find I don't use the 3G data much.

Judson50 wrote:

I do and it's plenty for me.  I have wireless at home/work and find I don't use the 3G data much.

3 of 9 (1,461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2011 5:39:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Judson50 wrote:

I suggest new iPhone owners to start with the 2GB plan and use the phone as they normally would for several months. If you never crack 200MB, then drop to the lower plan.

I have three iPhone4s on a family plan - we didn't crack 200MB for the first month, but we're usually over most months, and some months we're well over. I've never broken 2GB on any of the phones, but none of us stream video via 3G.

If you've got really good wifi coverage, you can probably get by just fine with 200MB.

Judson50 wrote:

I suggest new iPhone owners to start with the 2GB plan and use the phone as they normally would for several months. If you never crack 200MB, then drop to the lower plan.

I have three iPhone4s on a family plan - we didn't crack 200MB for the first month, but we're usually over most months, and some months we're well over. I've never broken 2GB on any of the phones, but none of us stream video via 3G.

If you've got really good wifi coverage, you can probably get by just fine with 200MB.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 9 (1,455 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2011 9:52:22 AM
(0)
Guru

My wife does with no problems.  She mostly uses her iPhone as a phone or for texts.  Plus e-mail and a calendar that syncs with her desktop.  Then the occasional browsing or navigation.  She never gets near 200MB/month.

My wife does with no problems.  She mostly uses her iPhone as a phone or for texts.  Plus e-mail and a calendar that syncs with her desktop.  Then the occasional browsing or navigation.  She never gets near 200MB/month.

5 of 9 (1,410 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2011 12:58:21 PM
(0)
Guru
My kids stay under 200mb. If they don't, I'll beat them. Lol
My kids stay under 200mb. If they don't, I'll beat them. Lol

6 of 9 (1,385 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2011 1:15:56 PM
(0)
Expert

Has been working for me so far, and I use mostly WiFi at home or free ATT hotspots when out and about.

Has been working for me so far, and I use mostly WiFi at home or free ATT hotspots when out and about.

7 of 9 (1,381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2011 9:33:03 PM
(0)
Contributor
It's worked for me. Only time I had a problem was when my child decided to stream a movie.
It's worked for me. Only time I had a problem was when my child decided to stream a movie.

8 of 9 (1,317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 10:00:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

21stNow wrote:

Othe than having aout 29 email accounts on my iPhone I consider myself to be a "typical user".  I Average about 490-500MB/month, and I have never gone over 1.25GB in the 3-4 years I've owned & used an iPhone.  I loked at my total data usage according to my iPhone 4, and since it was last rest on 11-22-2011 I have used 6.1GB of data.  That's holding pretty close to the 500MB/month average since that was almost a year ago.

For me, a 200MB plan would mean I average 2 overage charges each month or $45 in data charges if I go with the 200MB plan, but I have neer gone over the 2GB bound on the $25 data plan.  For me, the $25/2GB plan makes the most sense, but if I were to change my usage patterns slightly, I could drop that down to where I mght be able to get by with the $15 data plan understanding that I might still go over the upper bound occassionally.  Using simple math, as long as I don't go over the upper bond more than 4 times in a 6 month period, I could save money: ( (6 x $15) + (4 x $15) = $150 ) and ( 6 x $25 ) = $150).  So if you only have 3 overage charges in 6 months, you save money on the $15 data plan as compared to having the $25 data plan, the dfference is that some months your ell bll will be higher than other months.

The suggestion to try the $25 data plan for several months makes the most sense to me.  If you find that you are not going over 200MB, you can easily move down to the lower plan, but you don't have to worry much about going over, unless you do lots of streaming...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

21stNow wrote:

Othe than having aout 29 email accounts on my iPhone I consider myself to be a "typical user".  I Average about 490-500MB/month, and I have never gone over 1.25GB in the 3-4 years I've owned & used an iPhone.  I loked at my total data usage according to my iPhone 4, and since it was last rest on 11-22-2011 I have used 6.1GB of data.  That's holding pretty close to the 500MB/month average since that was almost a year ago.

For me, a 200MB plan would mean I average 2 overage charges each month or $45 in data charges if I go with the 200MB plan, but I have neer gone over the 2GB bound on the $25 data plan.  For me, the $25/2GB plan makes the most sense, but if I were to change my usage patterns slightly, I could drop that down to where I mght be able to get by with the $15 data plan understanding that I might still go over the upper bound occassionally.  Using simple math, as long as I don't go over the upper bond more than 4 times in a 6 month period, I could save money: ( (6 x $15) + (4 x $15) = $150 ) and ( 6 x $25 ) = $150).  So if you only have 3 overage charges in 6 months, you save money on the $15 data plan as compared to having the $25 data plan, the dfference is that some months your ell bll will be higher than other months.

The suggestion to try the $25 data plan for several months makes the most sense to me.  If you find that you are not going over 200MB, you can easily move down to the lower plan, but you don't have to worry much about going over, unless you do lots of streaming...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

9 of 9 (1,274 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments