Does Anyone (Authoritatively) Understand Auto-Refill? Please help.

Does Anyone (Authoritatively) Understand Auto-Refill? Please help.

[I posted this question buried within a thread but the question was buried by others, so I decided to raise its subject to a "New Message".  Sorry for its duplication.]

A highly-ranked "CL Professor", whose judgment seems always spot-on (I am just a bottom-feeder "Visitor"),  says that balance carryovers are not lost upon auto-renewals when they coincide exactly with their expiration date.

But check this out, published on AT&T's Auto-Refill page:

"Every 30 days (if you have a feature package that auto renews, set payment date 1 day before the package renewal date) "

So there is doubt.  Why would they say this, then, if both the renewal and the expiry dates can coincide?  And, then, not providing the means to edit the auto-renewals with (1month-1day) intervals?

QUESTIONS:

1.  What is your actual experience with feature-package auto-refills and balance-carryovers?
2.  Specifically, if the date of expiration of the feature package (messaging or data) coincides with the renewal date, do you get balance carryover?
Please do not post if::  "I only use manual refills, blah, blah, blah, ..."  Thanks!
Message 1 of 7 (586 Views)

Is this Auto-Refill Application of Existing Balance Correct?

[This is Part Two of my earlier question that got lost.  Again, sorry for its duplication, and thanks in advance.]

This is about the different expiration dates of refills and their use for monthly auto-refill of a data feature package:

1. 30 days for $15

2. 90 days for $25, $50, $60, $75

3. 365 days for $100

SAMPLE CASE:

STEP 1:  You refill, say, $25 as your start-up balance on day 1.

STEP 2:  Also on day 1 you enroll on a $5-month 10MB data plan.

ASSUMPTION:  For this sample case, assume that no airtime is used for either talk or text during the whole expiry period.

QUESTIONS:

QUESTION 1:  Does one receive 90-day expiration on the ($25-$5=$20).

QUESTION 2:  Is this balance usable for $5-month data renewals for months +1,+2 and +3?

QUESTION 3: ($25 - 4*$5)=$5 expire unused on month+3?

Thanks!

Message 2 of 7 (583 Views)
Master

Re: Does Anyone (Authoritatively) Understand Auto-Refill? Please help.

[ Edited ]

OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

[I posted this question buried within a thread but the question was buried by others, so I decided to raise its subject to a "New Message".  Sorry for its duplication.]

A highly-ranked "CL Professor", whose judgment seems always spot-on (I am just a bottom-feeder "Visitor"),  says that balance carryovers are not lost upon auto-renewals when they coincide exactly with their expiration date.

But check this out, published on AT&T's Auto-Refill page:

"Every 30 days (if you have a feature package that auto renews, set payment date 1 day before the package renewal date) "

So there is doubt.  Why would they say this, then, if both the renewal and the expiry dates can coincide?  And, then, not providing the means to edit the auto-renewals with (1month-1day) intervals?

QUESTIONS:

1.  What is your actual experience with feature-package auto-refills and balance-carryovers?
2.  Specifically, if the date of expiration of the feature package (messaging or data) coincides with the renewal date, do you get balance carryover?
Please do not post if::  "I only use manual refills, blah, blah, blah, ..."  Thanks!

Sorry for the confusion -

I was referring to "auto-renewal" of the feature packages when I indicated you don't lose your feature balance even when the renewal happens on the expiration date.  Auto-renewal is what I have experience with - I've never used "Auto-Refill" to refill my account balance automatically.  If at&t recommends you set the auto-refill date one day before the expiration to protect your feature package rollover, that's what I would do.  (It's what I do "manually" anyway just to avoid losing my account balance in case there are problems with the refill payment.)

Here are the terms & conditions of "automatic feature package renewal" -  (from here )

"If you select the automatic feature package renewal option, your GoPhone Pay As You Go account will be debited the amount of the monthly charge for the package every 30 days. You may cancel this at any time via this website by coming back to this page and clicking remove on the feature package you want to stop automatic renewal on or by calling 611 from your handset. If you do not have sufficient funds in your account to cover the monthly fee, we will not renew the feature package. Unless you have an unlimited feature package, if all of your message, data or minutes are used before the next renewal period, you will be charged the pay per use rates specified in your rate plan. If the automatic feature package renewal payment is successful, and you have minutes, data or voice remaining in your account, that unused balance will be carried over."

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 3 of 7 (534 Views)

Thank you, hme83.  Much appreciated from a "bottom feeder".  I will try and see how it goes.

Message 4 of 7 (529 Views)
Master

You're welcome - and let us know how it goes. Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 5 of 7 (511 Views)
Master

Re: Is this Auto-Refill Application of Existing Balance Correct?

[ Edited ]

OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

[This is Part Two of my earlier question that got lost.  Again, sorry for its duplication, and thanks in advance.]

This is about the different expiration dates of refills and their use for monthly auto-refill of a data feature package:

1. 30 days for $15

2. 90 days for $25, $50, $60, $75

3. 365 days for $100

SAMPLE CASE:

STEP 1:  You refill, say, $25 as your start-up balance on day 1.

STEP 2:  Also on day 1 you enroll on a $5-month 10MB data plan.

ASSUMPTION:  For this sample case, assume that no airtime is used for either talk or text during the whole expiry period.

QUESTIONS:

QUESTION 1:  Does one receive 90-day expiration on the ($25-$5=$20).

QUESTION 2:  Is this balance usable for $5-month data renewals for months +1,+2 and +3?

QUESTION 3: ($25 - 4*$5)=$5 expire unused on month+3?

Thanks!

I didn't really have time to read through your hypothetical questions yesterday -

1)  Yes, you will get the full 90 day expiration period on any unspent funds in your account balance.

2)  Yes, you can use the account balance to make additional purchases of the feature packages at any point in time.  If you also use the "auto-renewal of feature packages" (in addition to "auto-refill" for your account funding), then the feature package renewals will happen every 30 days using the funds that are in your account balance at that point in time.

3)  Yes, in that scenario you would have $5 remaining in your account balance that would expire at the end of the 90 day refill period, unless you purchased a new refill prior to it's expiration.

Or as in your original discussion above, if you want to use the "auto-refill" function, I would set the refill payment date to one day in advance of your actual refill expiration date - as at&t recommends and just to be on the safe side.  As you can see from the combination of their terms concerning auto-refill and auto feature renewal, the "issue" is that if there is a problem with the auto-refill of the account balance, you lose any remaining fund balance you had in your account at that time; and if there are no funds in your account for the auto-renewal process to use, you also will lose your rollover of the unused feature allotments at those package expiration dates.  So if your auto-refill and auto-renewal dates are the same day, you may be placing a pretty large bet on nothing going wrong with the auto-refill process and potentially not leaving yourself any time to do something about it if something does go wrong.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Message 6 of 7 (509 Views)

Re: Is this Auto-Refill Application of Existing Balance Correct?

Crystal clear, hme83.  Thanks again.

Message 7 of 7 (506 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.