Does ATT support this feature ?

Teacher

Does ATT support this feature ?

[ Edited ]

I currently have my mothers internet disabled because i dont want her going on the web by mistake and running uo charges. For some strange reason the phone i got her allows her to run the web in the background which is r{ word filter evasion } . Well ATT disabled the web feature but said in order to do so they have to disable the picture messaging feature as well. At first that was fine. Now my mother is getting use to her phone and wants to be able to receive picture messages. I talked to a sales rep and he said that ATT can now block data but still allow picture messaging but you have to call ATT and have this done. I called and the ATT rep on the phone never heard of this feature so i was out of luck. Is this a real feature that maybe the rep on the phone didn't know about or was the sales guy wrong ?

Message 1 of 10 (1,061 Views)
Teacher

Re: Does ATT support this feature ?

I just had this same conversation with AT&T right before Christmas. They told me in order to send picture messages, DATA had to be on or active for that line, no exceptions. We have family unlimited texting and added our son to our plan and wanted him to be able to do everything but connect to the internet. Per AT&T, picture messages use the data network to send and receive so this has to be active in order for it to work. So to answer your original question I don't think this feature exists. It is a very good idea so kids and moms don't run our bills through the roof and we still get all the features we pay for. LOL. We are going to do some serious training with our son on the phone he has and keep a very close eye on our bill.

Message 2 of 10 (1,043 Views)
Master

No can do.  Internet block = No MMS.  That rep didn't know which way was up.

Message 3 of 10 (1,021 Views)

Although data can't be blocked on the carrier's end without also blocking MMS, sometimes there's another way to get it done.

Some phones allow you to create new browser profiles, and others don't.  To see where the settings are for your phone, look at a Learning Center article like this one.  Nearly every phone has a Learning Center article under Internet -> Browser settings.  The article doesn't usually show how to make a new profile, but it normally shows where the options would be.

If you can create a new browser profile, then you can make one with dummy settings, such as a blank access point name.  Set the dummy profile as default, and you won't be able to access the internet.  If you can do this, then you can unblock data on the line, you won't have access to the internet or to MEdiaNet, and you should still have MMS.  If, for some reason, you do need to access the internet, then you can switch back to the original browser profile.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 10 (980 Views)
Teacher

reich : I never thought of that i will give it a try. 

Thanks for replys guys. 

Message 5 of 10 (959 Views)
Scholar

I'm sure this wouldn't work on a 'locked' device, but is there a way to uninstall the web browsers/apps that use data?

Message 6 of 10 (934 Views)
Master

No, those sorts of things are usually pretty tightly integrated into the OS.  Can you uninstall IE from Windows?

Message 7 of 10 (915 Views)
Teacher

^ u can uninstall IE. 

Message 8 of 10 (894 Views)
Professor

2008scion wrote:

^ u can uninstall IE. 

You sure can. With PC, you can uninstall upgraded versions from the currently installed programs list in Add or Remove Programs and uninstall the version that came on the system through Add/Remove Windows Components. With mobile it would be a bit more complicated since it is a rom. You would have to flash a rom where it has been removed or not included.

Message 9 of 10 (874 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

I found out how to make another profile but i am having trouble setting it as default. It will not let me delete the original profile either. Its for the Breeze II phone. 

Message 10 of 10 (791 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.