Does ATT now have the best lineup?!

Does ATT now have the best lineup?!

Since we now have the Iphone 4 and the Samsung Captivate, and the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 is set to be released on August 15th http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Countdown-over-AT-T-and-Sony-Ericsson-introduce-the-Xperia-X10-to-th...

The Blackberry Torch 9800 should be out on August 12th as well. And maybe the SE Vivaz.

I think ATT has the best all around lineup!Smiley Tongue

Message 1 of 68 (1,816 Views)
Scholar

Re: Does ATT now have the best lineup?!

It is not a phone that going to cause people to jump carriers

Exactly on of the points many have made here. Which devices does ATT have which will bring customers like this???????

Oh yeah, the iphone.....anything else on the network is irrelevant, so it seems.

Message 31 of 68 (840 Views)
Expert

diagoro wrote:

It is not a phone that going to cause people to jump carriers

Exactly on of the points many have made here. Which devices does ATT have which will bring customers like this???????

Oh yeah, the iphone.....anything else on the network is irrelevant, so it seems.

there are NO phones at ANY vendor that will make me jump carriers, unless it can do things that will get the message censored. I base my phone choice on carrier service in my primary location. Period 

Message 32 of 68 (833 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

T-mobile does.

Message 33 of 68 (701 Views)
Expert

sweep993 wrote:

T-mobile does.

they may have the phomnes, but  thier coverage leaves a lot to be desired.

Message 34 of 68 (691 Views)
Scholar

there are NO phones at ANY vendor that will make me jump carriers, unless it can do things that will get the message censored. I base my phone choice on carrier service in my primary location. Period

Not speaking directly of you, but the millions of others in the country.......

Message 35 of 68 (658 Views)
Contributor

Dell Streak will NOT be dropping into ATT stores/website. It's only available via Dell, so another major FAIL for ATT. Quality of overall phone linup? All ATT cares about is the iphone exclusivity, nothing else they carry can compete or offers exclusive deals. If one does, it seems to be released months after it should have been (Tilt2, Xperia), making it a non issue. [URL=http://www.wellbridal.com]wedding dresses[/URL]
[URL=http://www.wellbridal.com]wedding gowns[/URL]The network may be better, but as long as there is a contract with Apple, there will be no other 'class' release......

Message 36 of 68 (646 Views)
Contributor

Oooh... I don't know, DREWSKY56... Verizon Wireless is some pretty tough competition...

www.wellbridal.com

But I am very impressed to see AT&T rolling out some new, cool devices. It's about time... :smileywink:

Message 37 of 68 (646 Views)
Scholar

newscctv wrote:

Oooh... I don't know, DREWSKY56... Verizon Wireless is some pretty tough competition...

www.wellbridal.com

But I am very impressed to see AT&T rolling out some new, cool devices. It's about time... :smileywink:

What's up with these links, is it the ATT server that's been corrupted????

Message 38 of 68 (642 Views)
Tutor

You can look at the phone models and compare, but honestly with how many restrictions AT&T puts on the phones, you have to dig deaper. Of course AT&T will barely touch the precious iPhone, but look at the android platforms. AT&T locks them down. Dont get me wrong, others do too. The fascinate was looking to be promising, but the search engine was replaced with Bing, LOL.

So far, the iPhone 4 is probably going to be the best because AT&T can ruin the other phones as much as they want to. They are still kept in check though when it comes to apple.

Message 39 of 68 (631 Views)
Expert

Cuelex wrote:

You can look at the phone models and compare, but honestly with how many restrictions AT&T puts on the phones, you have to dig deaper. Of course AT&T will barely touch the precious iPhone, but look at the android platforms. AT&T locks them down. Dont get me wrong, others do too. The fascinate was looking to be promising, but the search engine was replaced with Bing, LOL.

So far, the iPhone 4 is probably going to be the best because AT&T can ruin the other phones as much as they want to. They are still kept in check though when it comes to apple.

One slight isue with your tin foil theory - ATT has locked doewn phones and removed functionality long before the Iphone was nothing but a thought on the engineeers drawing table.

Bottom line - don;t like the restirctions a compony puts on things - leave and go someplace else to see if the grass is greener

Message 40 of 68 (620 Views)
Scholar

Android is the definition of 'open', and having finally supported a few of the OS devices, it's sad to see how they've locked each device more as time goes. Even the Tilt2 has much more 'crap ware' on the recent update.

I suppose the onus is on Google for not restricting this like Apple has. But generally, as I may have stated earlier, ATT not only locks phones down, but has a sordid history of waiting too long to release phones, usually towards the end of their tech cycle (or long after other carriers have released similar models).

I have to give it to Jobs, he found a partner willing to put up with every demand. I'd love to see the covenants in their contract! 

Message 41 of 68 (792 Views)
Expert

diagoro wrote:

Android is the definition of 'open', and having finally supported a few of the OS devices, it's sad to see how they've locked each device more as time goes. Even the Tilt2 has much more 'crap ware' on the recent update.

I suppose the onus is on Google for not restricting this like Apple has. But generally, as I may have stated earlier, ATT not only locks phones down, but has a sordid history of waiting too long to release phones, usually towards the end of their tech cycle (or long after other carriers have released similar models).

I have to give it to Jobs, he found a partner willing to put up with every demand. I'd love to see the covenants in their contract! 

Linux is supposed to be "open source" also - but can can a number of devices that have closed source linux running on it, without seeing the licen agreement that was signed by the phone manufacturers and google there is very little chance of verifying it, but suspect they are well within the legal terms of their contract.

Maybe, but then I look at it from a high technology business owner, nothing to do with Jobs or his methods. I protect my source and intellectual property as tight as if not tighter then what Jobs and ATT does. Don;t give anything away for free and will be right on top of anyone that violates the contract. Have fired a number of people because they hacked their company supplied cell phones, whcih they sign an agreement to not do when they where issued them.

As far as you seeing the contract, I doubt that wil ever happen - details are probably company confidential and only available to those that have a need to know - and you don't

Message 42 of 68 (789 Views)
Scholar

I never expected to see that contract. I'm sure Apple's lawyers would be on any leak within a millisecond. Perhaps in 30 years......

Perhaps one of the biggest questions for me is that of ownership. Customers are told that we are 'purchasing' our phones, whatever the contract term. Yet we're receiving a device with extreme limitations. I can perhaps understand the restrictions when it comes to use of ATT's network, but it comes down to inane issues like not being able to change backgrounds, etc (yes, I'm aware there are always ways to change on my own). ATT is even tight with access codes after a device is out of contract, and the Dell Streak is sold 'locked' to ATT when purchased 'unlocked'.

Perhaps another agree to disagree, but I just see it all as a means of controlling access for the benefit of the bottom line. Just now in my ATT bill there's an add for 'ATT Radio & ATT Music', streaming options that the contract excludes. Kind of says it all........ 

Message 43 of 68 (785 Views)
Expert

diagoro wrote:

I never expected to see that contract. I'm sure Apple's lawyers would be on any leak within a millisecond. Perhaps in 30 years......

Perhaps one of the biggest questions for me is that of ownership. Customers are told that we are 'purchasing' our phones, whatever the contract term. Yet we're receiving a device with extreme limitations. I can perhaps understand the restrictions when it comes to use of ATT's network, but it comes down to inane issues like not being able to change backgrounds, etc (yes, I'm aware there are always ways to change on my own). ATT is even tight with access codes after a device is out of contract, and the Dell Streak is sold 'locked' to ATT when purchased 'unlocked'.

Perhaps another agree to disagree, but I just see it all as a means of controlling access for the benefit of the bottom line. Just now in my ATT bill there's an add for 'ATT Radio & ATT Music', streaming options that the contract excludes. Kind of says it all........ 

doesn't matter pwnership of the phone, they can set the rules on what and how things can access their network infrastructure, as far as the Dell streak - again, att can set the rules on how it can access their infrastructure and what you pay for it - pay the ATT subsidized cost and you agree to lock it to ATT, pay full price with no subsidy you can go to T-Mobile (if their infrastructure can support it), but it you pay full price for it and decide to place it on ATT infrastructure you are subject to their requirement.

The ads for ATT radio and music are generic targets - remember only the smartphone has the data limitation, the qmd devices are still able to get unlimited data.So the ad is valid as it stands

you are 100 percent correct, it is controlling access to their private infrastructure for a profit - that is the basic tenet of any business, especially one that is publicly traded.

Message 44 of 68 (773 Views)
Master

And all the restrictions that AT&T puts on its Android phone are ALREADY in place for the iPhone?  Install apps that don't go through the app store?  Can't do that on an iPhone w/o unlocking it.  If anything, the iPhone is MORE restrictive than any Android phones because Apple and AT&T won't unlock an iPhone for ANY reason.

Sorry to stomp all over your argument, but a good dose of reality is good for the soul.

Cuelex wrote:

Message 45 of 68 (729 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.