Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 10, 2010
5:57:06 AM
Does ATT now have the best lineup?!

Since we now have the Iphone 4 and the Samsung Captivate, and the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 is set to be released on August 15th http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Countdown-over-AT-T-and-Sony-Ericsson-introduce-the-Xperia-X10-to-th...

The Blackberry Torch 9800 should be out on August 12th as well. And maybe the SE Vivaz.

I think ATT has the best all around lineup!Smiley Tongue

Since we now have the Iphone 4 and the Samsung Captivate, and the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 is set to be released on August 15th http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Countdown-over-AT-T-and-Sony-Ericsson-introduce-the-Xperia-X10-to-the-U.S.-article-a_12693.html

The Blackberry Torch 9800 should be out on August 12th as well. And maybe the SE Vivaz.

I think ATT has the best all around lineup!Smiley Tongue

Does ATT now have the best lineup?!

67 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(67)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2010 11:33:46 AM
(0)
Scholar

It is not a phone that going to cause people to jump carriers

Exactly on of the points many have made here. Which devices does ATT have which will bring customers like this???????

Oh yeah, the iphone.....anything else on the network is irrelevant, so it seems.

Exactly on of the points many have made here. Which devices does ATT have which will bring customers like this???????

Oh yeah, the iphone.....anything else on the network is irrelevant, so it seems.

Re: Does ATT now have the best lineup?!

31 of 68 (808 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2010 11:39:00 AM
(0)
Expert

diagoro wrote:

there are NO phones at ANY vendor that will make me jump carriers, unless it can do things that will get the message censored. I base my phone choice on carrier service in my primary location. Period 

diagoro wrote:

there are NO phones at ANY vendor that will make me jump carriers, unless it can do things that will get the message censored. I base my phone choice on carrier service in my primary location. Period 

32 of 68 (801 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 8:20:59 AM
(0)
Tutor

T-mobile does.

T-mobile does.

33 of 68 (669 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 10:08:44 AM
(0)
Expert

sweep993 wrote:

T-mobile does.

they may have the phomnes, but  thier coverage leaves a lot to be desired.

sweep993 wrote:

T-mobile does.

they may have the phomnes, but  thier coverage leaves a lot to be desired.

34 of 68 (659 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 3:23:01 PM
(0)
Scholar

Not speaking directly of you, but the millions of others in the country.......

Not speaking directly of you, but the millions of others in the country.......

35 of 68 (626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 6:33:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

Dell Streak will NOT be dropping into ATT stores/website. It's only available via Dell, so another major FAIL for ATT. Quality of overall phone linup? All ATT cares about is the iphone exclusivity, nothing else they carry can compete or offers exclusive deals. If one does, it seems to be released months after it should have been (Tilt2, Xperia), making it a non issue. [URL=http://www.wellbridal.com]wedding dresses[/URL]
[URL=http://www.wellbridal.com]wedding gowns[/URL]The network may be better, but as long as there is a contract with Apple, there will be no other 'class' release......

Dell Streak will NOT be dropping into ATT stores/website. It's only available via Dell, so another major FAIL for ATT. Quality of overall phone linup? All ATT cares about is the iphone exclusivity, nothing else they carry can compete or offers exclusive deals. If one does, it seems to be released months after it should have been (Tilt2, Xperia), making it a non issue. [URL=http://www.wellbridal.com]wedding dresses[/URL]
[URL=http://www.wellbridal.com]wedding gowns[/URL]The network may be better, but as long as there is a contract with Apple, there will be no other 'class' release......

36 of 68 (614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 6:35:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

Oooh... I don't know, DREWSKY56... Verizon Wireless is some pretty tough competition...

www.wellbridal.com

But I am very impressed to see AT&T rolling out some new, cool devices. It's about time... :smileywink:

Oooh... I don't know, DREWSKY56... Verizon Wireless is some pretty tough competition...

www.wellbridal.com

But I am very impressed to see AT&T rolling out some new, cool devices. It's about time... :smileywink:

37 of 68 (614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 7:03:08 PM
(0)
Scholar

newscctv wrote:

www.wellbridal.com

What's up with these links, is it the ATT server that's been corrupted????

newscctv wrote:

www.wellbridal.com

What's up with these links, is it the ATT server that's been corrupted????

38 of 68 (610 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 10:47:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

You can look at the phone models and compare, but honestly with how many restrictions AT&T puts on the phones, you have to dig deaper. Of course AT&T will barely touch the precious iPhone, but look at the android platforms. AT&T locks them down. Dont get me wrong, others do too. The fascinate was looking to be promising, but the search engine was replaced with Bing, LOL.

So far, the iPhone 4 is probably going to be the best because AT&T can ruin the other phones as much as they want to. They are still kept in check though when it comes to apple.

You can look at the phone models and compare, but honestly with how many restrictions AT&T puts on the phones, you have to dig deaper. Of course AT&T will barely touch the precious iPhone, but look at the android platforms. AT&T locks them down. Dont get me wrong, others do too. The fascinate was looking to be promising, but the search engine was replaced with Bing, LOL.

So far, the iPhone 4 is probably going to be the best because AT&T can ruin the other phones as much as they want to. They are still kept in check though when it comes to apple.

39 of 68 (599 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 3:48:44 AM
(0)
Expert

Cuelex wrote:

One slight isue with your tin foil theory - ATT has locked doewn phones and removed functionality long before the Iphone was nothing but a thought on the engineeers drawing table.

Bottom line - don;t like the restirctions a compony puts on things - leave and go someplace else to see if the grass is greener

Cuelex wrote:

One slight isue with your tin foil theory - ATT has locked doewn phones and removed functionality long before the Iphone was nothing but a thought on the engineeers drawing table.

Bottom line - don;t like the restirctions a compony puts on things - leave and go someplace else to see if the grass is greener

40 of 68 (588 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 7:35:08 AM
(0)
Scholar

Android is the definition of 'open', and having finally supported a few of the OS devices, it's sad to see how they've locked each device more as time goes. Even the Tilt2 has much more 'crap ware' on the recent update.

I suppose the onus is on Google for not restricting this like Apple has. But generally, as I may have stated earlier, ATT not only locks phones down, but has a sordid history of waiting too long to release phones, usually towards the end of their tech cycle (or long after other carriers have released similar models).

I have to give it to Jobs, he found a partner willing to put up with every demand. I'd love to see the covenants in their contract! 

Android is the definition of 'open', and having finally supported a few of the OS devices, it's sad to see how they've locked each device more as time goes. Even the Tilt2 has much more 'crap ware' on the recent update.

I suppose the onus is on Google for not restricting this like Apple has. But generally, as I may have stated earlier, ATT not only locks phones down, but has a sordid history of waiting too long to release phones, usually towards the end of their tech cycle (or long after other carriers have released similar models).

I have to give it to Jobs, he found a partner willing to put up with every demand. I'd love to see the covenants in their contract! 

41 of 68 (760 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 7:55:19 AM
(0)
Expert

diagoro wrote:

Linux is supposed to be "open source" also - but can can a number of devices that have closed source linux running on it, without seeing the licen agreement that was signed by the phone manufacturers and google there is very little chance of verifying it, but suspect they are well within the legal terms of their contract.

Maybe, but then I look at it from a high technology business owner, nothing to do with Jobs or his methods. I protect my source and intellectual property as tight as if not tighter then what Jobs and ATT does. Don;t give anything away for free and will be right on top of anyone that violates the contract. Have fired a number of people because they hacked their company supplied cell phones, whcih they sign an agreement to not do when they where issued them.

As far as you seeing the contract, I doubt that wil ever happen - details are probably company confidential and only available to those that have a need to know - and you don't

diagoro wrote:

Linux is supposed to be "open source" also - but can can a number of devices that have closed source linux running on it, without seeing the licen agreement that was signed by the phone manufacturers and google there is very little chance of verifying it, but suspect they are well within the legal terms of their contract.

Maybe, but then I look at it from a high technology business owner, nothing to do with Jobs or his methods. I protect my source and intellectual property as tight as if not tighter then what Jobs and ATT does. Don;t give anything away for free and will be right on top of anyone that violates the contract. Have fired a number of people because they hacked their company supplied cell phones, whcih they sign an agreement to not do when they where issued them.

As far as you seeing the contract, I doubt that wil ever happen - details are probably company confidential and only available to those that have a need to know - and you don't

42 of 68 (757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 8:28:00 AM
(0)
Scholar

I never expected to see that contract. I'm sure Apple's lawyers would be on any leak within a millisecond. Perhaps in 30 years......

Perhaps one of the biggest questions for me is that of ownership. Customers are told that we are 'purchasing' our phones, whatever the contract term. Yet we're receiving a device with extreme limitations. I can perhaps understand the restrictions when it comes to use of ATT's network, but it comes down to inane issues like not being able to change backgrounds, etc (yes, I'm aware there are always ways to change on my own). ATT is even tight with access codes after a device is out of contract, and the Dell Streak is sold 'locked' to ATT when purchased 'unlocked'.

Perhaps another agree to disagree, but I just see it all as a means of controlling access for the benefit of the bottom line. Just now in my ATT bill there's an add for 'ATT Radio & ATT Music', streaming options that the contract excludes. Kind of says it all........ 

I never expected to see that contract. I'm sure Apple's lawyers would be on any leak within a millisecond. Perhaps in 30 years......

Perhaps one of the biggest questions for me is that of ownership. Customers are told that we are 'purchasing' our phones, whatever the contract term. Yet we're receiving a device with extreme limitations. I can perhaps understand the restrictions when it comes to use of ATT's network, but it comes down to inane issues like not being able to change backgrounds, etc (yes, I'm aware there are always ways to change on my own). ATT is even tight with access codes after a device is out of contract, and the Dell Streak is sold 'locked' to ATT when purchased 'unlocked'.

Perhaps another agree to disagree, but I just see it all as a means of controlling access for the benefit of the bottom line. Just now in my ATT bill there's an add for 'ATT Radio & ATT Music', streaming options that the contract excludes. Kind of says it all........ 

43 of 68 (753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 9:14:23 AM
(0)
Expert

diagoro wrote:

doesn't matter pwnership of the phone, they can set the rules on what and how things can access their network infrastructure, as far as the Dell streak - again, att can set the rules on how it can access their infrastructure and what you pay for it - pay the ATT subsidized cost and you agree to lock it to ATT, pay full price with no subsidy you can go to T-Mobile (if their infrastructure can support it), but it you pay full price for it and decide to place it on ATT infrastructure you are subject to their requirement.

The ads for ATT radio and music are generic targets - remember only the smartphone has the data limitation, the qmd devices are still able to get unlimited data.So the ad is valid as it stands

you are 100 percent correct, it is controlling access to their private infrastructure for a profit - that is the basic tenet of any business, especially one that is publicly traded.

diagoro wrote:

doesn't matter pwnership of the phone, they can set the rules on what and how things can access their network infrastructure, as far as the Dell streak - again, att can set the rules on how it can access their infrastructure and what you pay for it - pay the ATT subsidized cost and you agree to lock it to ATT, pay full price with no subsidy you can go to T-Mobile (if their infrastructure can support it), but it you pay full price for it and decide to place it on ATT infrastructure you are subject to their requirement.

The ads for ATT radio and music are generic targets - remember only the smartphone has the data limitation, the qmd devices are still able to get unlimited data.So the ad is valid as it stands

you are 100 percent correct, it is controlling access to their private infrastructure for a profit - that is the basic tenet of any business, especially one that is publicly traded.

44 of 68 (741 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2010 5:13:58 AM
(0)
Master

And all the restrictions that AT&T puts on its Android phone are ALREADY in place for the iPhone?  Install apps that don't go through the app store?  Can't do that on an iPhone w/o unlocking it.  If anything, the iPhone is MORE restrictive than any Android phones because Apple and AT&T won't unlock an iPhone for ANY reason.

Sorry to stomp all over your argument, but a good dose of reality is good for the soul.

Cuelex wrote:

And all the restrictions that AT&T puts on its Android phone are ALREADY in place for the iPhone?  Install apps that don't go through the app store?  Can't do that on an iPhone w/o unlocking it.  If anything, the iPhone is MORE restrictive than any Android phones because Apple and AT&T won't unlock an iPhone for ANY reason.

Sorry to stomp all over your argument, but a good dose of reality is good for the soul.

Cuelex wrote:

45 of 68 (697 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2010 7:23:32 AM
(0)
Scholar

I have to agree with Brian on this one.  A person claiming restrictions on Android is bad while lauding the iphone is laughable considering the iPhone is just as restricted.

I have to agree with Brian on this one.  A person claiming restrictions on Android is bad while lauding the iphone is laughable considering the iPhone is just as restricted.

46 of 68 (690 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2010 3:48:44 PM
(0)
Scholar

Perhaps he was merely trying to state that Android is supposed to be open, not locked down or inhibited like is done by ATT. Yes, the iphone is completely locked by design. It's Steve Jobs' means of controlling access, content and probably makes a ton of cash from that. There may be some valid quality control issues as well, but surely not the ones that ATT claims in reference to android (stating it protects users from viruses, etc).

Perhaps he was merely trying to state that Android is supposed to be open, not locked down or inhibited like is done by ATT. Yes, the iphone is completely locked by design. It's Steve Jobs' means of controlling access, content and probably makes a ton of cash from that. There may be some valid quality control issues as well, but surely not the ones that ATT claims in reference to android (stating it protects users from viruses, etc).

47 of 68 (657 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2010 3:23:32 AM
(0)
Expert

diagoro wrote:

Android source is open, but any who licenses it for devices can lock it down anyway they want and still be within the licensing terms of the OS. Thsi happens in the open source world all the time - take Linux for example, there are numerous free to use flaovrs out there, but companies like Directv utilize a licensed copy of Linux and make propiertary modifications to it making a close source system.

The phone manufacturers have done this with the android system and with the linux os that is prevelant in the pan-eurasian countries phones. Perfectly within their rights. Then the phone manufacturers enter into contract with the providers and furture lock down the phone per their resale contract, again perfectly legal and above board.

diagoro wrote:

Android source is open, but any who licenses it for devices can lock it down anyway they want and still be within the licensing terms of the OS. Thsi happens in the open source world all the time - take Linux for example, there are numerous free to use flaovrs out there, but companies like Directv utilize a licensed copy of Linux and make propiertary modifications to it making a close source system.

The phone manufacturers have done this with the android system and with the linux os that is prevelant in the pan-eurasian countries phones. Perfectly within their rights. Then the phone manufacturers enter into contract with the providers and furture lock down the phone per their resale contract, again perfectly legal and above board.

48 of 68 (635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2010 5:25:10 AM
(0)
Teacher

We ATT customers do deserve better unlocked Android phones minimum bloatware. But, ATT intentionally constrains the adoption of better android phones. We all know, why ? Pray God that IPhone is also supported on Verizon and other carriers in USA; than everything at ATT will change for the adoption of better phones.

As far as ATT having best line up of phones including Android phones; just compare with rival Verizon.  ATT customers certainly need a better all around Android phones like rumored HTC Merge. Android phone with 4" and higher screen with decent camera like 8-megapixel, Wifi g/n, full slide-out QWERTY keyboard, etc.). Members in many many families like slide out keyboard for texing.

Every now and than I feel like moving to other carrier like Verizon because of ATT's poor adoption of the Android and other phone choices(except IPhone). But I have stayed because I am with ATT for many years, their rollover minutes(though my family don't use much because we use unlimited texting lot) and bit of discount. ATT executive said they know this sticky points for families using ATT services and does not care about worrying millions of such families quickly move out of ATT to other carrier. Only way ATT will listen or care about our opinions when Verizon has similar offer / plan as ATT, trust me, ATT will loose customers so fast to the point they will offer better phones left and right and beg customers to stay with them. It is all about out quality of service vs monthly expense for family; all about economy.

We ATT customers do deserve better unlocked Android phones minimum bloatware. But, ATT intentionally constrains the adoption of better android phones. We all know, why ? Pray God that IPhone is also supported on Verizon and other carriers in USA; than everything at ATT will change for the adoption of better phones.

As far as ATT having best line up of phones including Android phones; just compare with rival Verizon.  ATT customers certainly need a better all around Android phones like rumored HTC Merge. Android phone with 4" and higher screen with decent camera like 8-megapixel, Wifi g/n, full slide-out QWERTY keyboard, etc.). Members in many many families like slide out keyboard for texing.

Every now and than I feel like moving to other carrier like Verizon because of ATT's poor adoption of the Android and other phone choices(except IPhone). But I have stayed because I am with ATT for many years, their rollover minutes(though my family don't use much because we use unlimited texting lot) and bit of discount. ATT executive said they know this sticky points for families using ATT services and does not care about worrying millions of such families quickly move out of ATT to other carrier. Only way ATT will listen or care about our opinions when Verizon has similar offer / plan as ATT, trust me, ATT will loose customers so fast to the point they will offer better phones left and right and beg customers to stay with them. It is all about out quality of service vs monthly expense for family; all about economy.

49 of 68 (508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2010 5:42:27 AM
(0)
Expert

rush58 wrote:

"millions of such families quickly move out of ATT to anoither carrier"

" But, ATT intentionally constrains the adoption of better android phones. We all know, why ? Pray God that IPhone is also supported on Verizon and other carriers in USA; than everything at ATT will change for the adoption of better phones."

Hmm, ATT's churn rate for lost accounts are very low, can you supply documentation of the first statement? I truely enjoy reading the consipiracy theories that ATT does not allow any other phone to be better then their vaulted Iphone, smacks of intrgiue and deep statements most of the time. If this was in any way shape or form remotely true then there would be little or no marketing thrown behind the various other qmd devices and smartphones that ATT distributes. Considered it has been publicly stated that ATT has decided to be the premire point for the new Windows 7 mobile phones that are being shipped ot the end user before to long.

Love the term bloatware, funny how it is stated on other providers websutes also that their provider puts to much bloatware on their phones also, guess bloatware is in the eye of the beholder. Again if you feel like you are being mistreated by the current provider, move on, your feeling of mistreatment can;t be to important sice you are still with them. The must be doing something right for you to stay. As far a losing customers, their churn rate is still fairly low, so maybe in the next 5 to 10 years you might be proven right if the chrun rate goes up

rush58 wrote:

"millions of such families quickly move out of ATT to anoither carrier"

" But, ATT intentionally constrains the adoption of better android phones. We all know, why ? Pray God that IPhone is also supported on Verizon and other carriers in USA; than everything at ATT will change for the adoption of better phones."

Hmm, ATT's churn rate for lost accounts are very low, can you supply documentation of the first statement? I truely enjoy reading the consipiracy theories that ATT does not allow any other phone to be better then their vaulted Iphone, smacks of intrgiue and deep statements most of the time. If this was in any way shape or form remotely true then there would be little or no marketing thrown behind the various other qmd devices and smartphones that ATT distributes. Considered it has been publicly stated that ATT has decided to be the premire point for the new Windows 7 mobile phones that are being shipped ot the end user before to long.

Love the term bloatware, funny how it is stated on other providers websutes also that their provider puts to much bloatware on their phones also, guess bloatware is in the eye of the beholder. Again if you feel like you are being mistreated by the current provider, move on, your feeling of mistreatment can;t be to important sice you are still with them. The must be doing something right for you to stay. As far a losing customers, their churn rate is still fairly low, so maybe in the next 5 to 10 years you might be proven right if the chrun rate goes up

50 of 68 (504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2010 12:23:28 PM
(0)
Scholar

Hmm, ATT's churn rate for lost accounts are very low, can you supply documentation of the first statement?

I'm pretty sure you'll see any churn rate show a serious rise once the iphone is available on another carrier. Add to that seriously high ETFs and long term contracts. And on the other end, can you supply documentation for your statements?

I truely enjoy reading the consipiracy theories that ATT does not allow any other phone to be better then their vaulted Iphone, smacks of intrgiue and deep statements most of the time. If this was in any way shape or form remotely true then there would be little or no marketing thrown behind the various other qmd devices and smartphones that ATT distributes.

While Apple is also responsible for advertising on their phones, I really haven't seen the same kind of market approach for other devices, at least not long term. I also have never had reps hard sell me on a phone nearly EVERY time I go into an ATT store. I realize we've gone over this before, and you'll never be converted, but there is a large majority of non-iphone users on ATT that don't feel as though they get a fair shake, that have felt constrained and ignored. Sure, we could all move to another carrier, but that doesn't solve the issue for those who have better coverage with ATT, who lave huge ETFs, long contracts, or have some 'faith' that they will eventually see a change.

Considered it has been publicly stated that ATT has decided to be the premire point for the new Windows 7 mobile phones that are being shipped ot the end user before to long.

I'm sure ATT was looking to the near future. With a loss of the iphone exclusivity, they had to find another major focus. Too bad they weren't making a stronger effort with Android phones. The short list of poor devices really shows they have no interest. They could have attempted to take a but from Verizon and Sprint by finding some proper phones.

Love the term bloatware, funny how it is stated on other providers websutes also that their provider puts to much bloatware on their phones also, guess bloatware is in the eye of the beholder. 

Nice to see you dont have a problem with 'blotware', but as I've noticed on numerous posts, you do have a very pro-big business stance. That's fine, but you also lose track of smaller issues like this. Blotware is fine on a computer, where it can be removed easily. On phones it's a plague, far too many icons and too much memory usage. In some cases, like the Tilt2, they tried superimposed 'video streaming' app over the 'hidden' youtube app (yeah, the one that was free). It's not enough to pay a large price for a phone and be locked into a two year career (when the tech life of a phone is shrinking ever more, especially when apps are specific to operating systems that can be 'archaic' within a year). We also have to deal with these issues, as well as sideloading restrictions (which can be side-stepped, while voiding your warranty), all the while we're told that we have 'purchased our phone'. I wont even get into how each cell company may go into tiered data plans that are beyond overpriced (and represent the way text plans have been, too little for too much). 

Some of us don't have options, but have the desire to try and make things better. The "if you don't like just leave" is one of the problems society has in general, going to the easiest option instead of 'trying'. Guess that's why Mexico is in such misery, millions would rather leave than fight and make their home a better place.......AND, as I've noted on another thread, you (wingrider) have a different phone on three different networks. You have options, others here don't. It's not quite fair to be high-handed about this as you come across.

Hmm, ATT's churn rate for lost accounts are very low, can you supply documentation of the first statement?

I'm pretty sure you'll see any churn rate show a serious rise once the iphone is available on another carrier. Add to that seriously high ETFs and long term contracts. And on the other end, can you supply documentation for your statements?

I truely enjoy reading the consipiracy theories that ATT does not allow any other phone to be better then their vaulted Iphone, smacks of intrgiue and deep statements most of the time. If this was in any way shape or form remotely true then there would be little or no marketing thrown behind the various other qmd devices and smartphones that ATT distributes.

While Apple is also responsible for advertising on their phones, I really haven't seen the same kind of market approach for other devices, at least not long term. I also have never had reps hard sell me on a phone nearly EVERY time I go into an ATT store. I realize we've gone over this before, and you'll never be converted, but there is a large majority of non-iphone users on ATT that don't feel as though they get a fair shake, that have felt constrained and ignored. Sure, we could all move to another carrier, but that doesn't solve the issue for those who have better coverage with ATT, who lave huge ETFs, long contracts, or have some 'faith' that they will eventually see a change.

Considered it has been publicly stated that ATT has decided to be the premire point for the new Windows 7 mobile phones that are being shipped ot the end user before to long.

I'm sure ATT was looking to the near future. With a loss of the iphone exclusivity, they had to find another major focus. Too bad they weren't making a stronger effort with Android phones. The short list of poor devices really shows they have no interest. They could have attempted to take a but from Verizon and Sprint by finding some proper phones.

Love the term bloatware, funny how it is stated on other providers websutes also that their provider puts to much bloatware on their phones also, guess bloatware is in the eye of the beholder. 

Nice to see you dont have a problem with 'blotware', but as I've noticed on numerous posts, you do have a very pro-big business stance. That's fine, but you also lose track of smaller issues like this. Blotware is fine on a computer, where it can be removed easily. On phones it's a plague, far too many icons and too much memory usage. In some cases, like the Tilt2, they tried superimposed 'video streaming' app over the 'hidden' youtube app (yeah, the one that was free). It's not enough to pay a large price for a phone and be locked into a two year career (when the tech life of a phone is shrinking ever more, especially when apps are specific to operating systems that can be 'archaic' within a year). We also have to deal with these issues, as well as sideloading restrictions (which can be side-stepped, while voiding your warranty), all the while we're told that we have 'purchased our phone'. I wont even get into how each cell company may go into tiered data plans that are beyond overpriced (and represent the way text plans have been, too little for too much). 

Some of us don't have options, but have the desire to try and make things better. The "if you don't like just leave" is one of the problems society has in general, going to the easiest option instead of 'trying'. Guess that's why Mexico is in such misery, millions would rather leave than fight and make their home a better place.......AND, as I've noted on another thread, you (wingrider) have a different phone on three different networks. You have options, others here don't. It's not quite fair to be high-handed about this as you come across.

51 of 68 (629 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2010 2:41:05 PM
(0)
Expert

diagoro wrote:

that is one thing you have right - I am very pro-business

By the way, might want to do a little research - Verizon's ETF on smartphones was already 350.00 BEFORE ATT raised theirs, think it was back in 2009, found this list published back in 1/21/2010

Here is a list of current smartphones and netbooks that carry the recently implemented $350 early termination fee with Verizon as of 1/21/2010:

• BlackBerry 8703E
  • BlackBerry 8830
  • BlackBerry 8830 Red
  • BlackBerry Curve 8330
  • BlackBerry Curve 8330 Pink
  • BlackBerry Curve 8530 Black
  • BlackBerry Curve 8530 Smokey Violet
  • BlackBerry Pearl 8130
  • BlackBerry Pearl 8130 Pink
  • BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8230
  • BlackBerry Storm 9530
  • BlackBerry Storm2 9550
  • BlackBerry Tour 9630
  • BlackBerry Tour 9630 - Non Camera
  • Gateway LT2016u Netbook
  • HP Mini 110-1046NR Netbook
  • HP Mini 1151NR netbook
  • HP Mini 311-1037NR Netbook
  • HTC Droid Eris
  • HTC Imagio
  • HTC Ozone
  • HTC Touch Diamond
  • HTC Touch Pro
  • HTC Touch Pro2
  • Motorola DROID
  • Motorola Q9c
  • Palm Centro
  • Palm Treo Pro
  • Samsung Omnia
  • Samsung Omnia II SCH-I920
  • Samsung Saga SCH-i770
  • Samsung SCH-i760
  • Verizon VZHUB
  • Verizon Wireless SMT5800
  • Verizon Wireless XV6800
  • Verizon Wireless XV6900
Important Note: The $350 ETF is effective on any of the devices listed above activated or purchased, on contract, AFTER November 15, 2009. This list includes devices discontinued prior to the ETF increase date, but if activated on contract, will incur the higher ETF rate.

Still stand by the statement - not happy, leave and find greener grass someplace else - but make sure you do the due diligence first becuase 99 percent of the time it is not the bed of roses you assume it to be. still don;t believe you will see a non-att iphone before 2012, if it does show up, so what

diagoro wrote:

that is one thing you have right - I am very pro-business

By the way, might want to do a little research - Verizon's ETF on smartphones was already 350.00 BEFORE ATT raised theirs, think it was back in 2009, found this list published back in 1/21/2010

Here is a list of current smartphones and netbooks that carry the recently implemented $350 early termination fee with Verizon as of 1/21/2010:

• BlackBerry 8703E
  • BlackBerry 8830
  • BlackBerry 8830 Red
  • BlackBerry Curve 8330
  • BlackBerry Curve 8330 Pink
  • BlackBerry Curve 8530 Black
  • BlackBerry Curve 8530 Smokey Violet
  • BlackBerry Pearl 8130
  • BlackBerry Pearl 8130 Pink
  • BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8230
  • BlackBerry Storm 9530
  • BlackBerry Storm2 9550
  • BlackBerry Tour 9630
  • BlackBerry Tour 9630 - Non Camera
  • Gateway LT2016u Netbook
  • HP Mini 110-1046NR Netbook
  • HP Mini 1151NR netbook
  • HP Mini 311-1037NR Netbook
  • HTC Droid Eris
  • HTC Imagio
  • HTC Ozone
  • HTC Touch Diamond
  • HTC Touch Pro
  • HTC Touch Pro2
  • Motorola DROID
  • Motorola Q9c
  • Palm Centro
  • Palm Treo Pro
  • Samsung Omnia
  • Samsung Omnia II SCH-I920
  • Samsung Saga SCH-i770
  • Samsung SCH-i760
  • Verizon VZHUB
  • Verizon Wireless SMT5800
  • Verizon Wireless XV6800
  • Verizon Wireless XV6900
Important Note: The $350 ETF is effective on any of the devices listed above activated or purchased, on contract, AFTER November 15, 2009. This list includes devices discontinued prior to the ETF increase date, but if activated on contract, will incur the higher ETF rate.

Still stand by the statement - not happy, leave and find greener grass someplace else - but make sure you do the due diligence first becuase 99 percent of the time it is not the bed of roses you assume it to be. still don;t believe you will see a non-att iphone before 2012, if it does show up, so what

52 of 68 (621 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 6:27:25 PM
(0)
Scholar

My point isn't related to the ETF on other carriers, this is an ATT forum. I was referring to the high ETF at ATT and its impact on the churn rate.........geez. But in terms of Android, at least there's the option of a quality device, not watered down wanna-be. Yeah, their service is a bit below ATTs, as is their signal in my area, they were my last carrier. Also a nice set of bloatware, but than I only had a cheap phone and didn't pay much, if anything.......

My point isn't related to the ETF on other carriers, this is an ATT forum. I was referring to the high ETF at ATT and its impact on the churn rate.........geez. But in terms of Android, at least there's the option of a quality device, not watered down wanna-be. Yeah, their service is a bit below ATTs, as is their signal in my area, they were my last carrier. Also a nice set of bloatware, but than I only had a cheap phone and didn't pay much, if anything.......

53 of 68 (577 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2010 8:53:59 AM
(0)
Expert

diagoro wrote:

counter point is so what, the other vendors have the exact same etf - so even if it does cause a minor churn rate, no matter where they go they will end up paying the exact same level of etf - so it is not a factor to consider in the churn rate reasoning - why leave if you have to pay the same amount to get out of the contract becasue you thought the grass was greener.

As far as a "quality device" that is an opinion only

diagoro wrote:

counter point is so what, the other vendors have the exact same etf - so even if it does cause a minor churn rate, no matter where they go they will end up paying the exact same level of etf - so it is not a factor to consider in the churn rate reasoning - why leave if you have to pay the same amount to get out of the contract becasue you thought the grass was greener.

As far as a "quality device" that is an opinion only

54 of 68 (560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 6:15:23 PM
(0)
Scholar

Nice deflection, never did offer any details regarding the 'churn rate' statement.

And yes, most of what anyone states here are opinions unless there is factual data to back it up. The last time someone quotes stats it wsa followed by "I'd like to tell you why or where I saw those facts, but I'm under a secrecy clause"...or something to that effect.

So if all the carriers have similar ETF's, than it's one less issue to detract from moving from ATT. You're left with a spotty network, mixed back of phones (again, my opinion), and a questionable future........

Nice deflection, never did offer any details regarding the 'churn rate' statement.

And yes, most of what anyone states here are opinions unless there is factual data to back it up. The last time someone quotes stats it wsa followed by "I'd like to tell you why or where I saw those facts, but I'm under a secrecy clause"...or something to that effect.

So if all the carriers have similar ETF's, than it's one less issue to detract from moving from ATT. You're left with a spotty network, mixed back of phones (again, my opinion), and a questionable future........

55 of 68 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 3:10:17 AM
(0)
Expert

diagoro wrote:

spoty network? Please show me any provider the promises perfect 100 percent coverage in even single pixel on the marketing tool they call a coverage map and I might believe you, so per your definition all service providers have spotty coverage. Was at a ski resort in colorado this past week - had all 3 of my providers phones with me, sprint, att, and verizon - guess what NONE of them had coverage, but their map showed that they did - so looks like all providers leave you hanging with spotty coverage. As far as a "questionable future", find that a ludicrous comment - ATT will be around a long time after you or I are gone - now I suspect given Sprints financial issues they may not be around - at the moment they are a prime take over target for either verizon or ATT

diagoro wrote:

spoty network? Please show me any provider the promises perfect 100 percent coverage in even single pixel on the marketing tool they call a coverage map and I might believe you, so per your definition all service providers have spotty coverage. Was at a ski resort in colorado this past week - had all 3 of my providers phones with me, sprint, att, and verizon - guess what NONE of them had coverage, but their map showed that they did - so looks like all providers leave you hanging with spotty coverage. As far as a "questionable future", find that a ludicrous comment - ATT will be around a long time after you or I are gone - now I suspect given Sprints financial issues they may not be around - at the moment they are a prime take over target for either verizon or ATT

56 of 68 (494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 5:34:49 AM
(0)
Master

How's this for churn rate, from June of this year:

AT&T's churn rate fell to 1.29 percent from 1.48 percent a year earlier, with postpaid defections falling to 1.01 percent.  What is interesting about the impressively low churn is the amount of "bad press" AT&T gets about dropped calls and "no or weak signal" issues. If real customers were as bothered as one might think, based on all those reports, the low churn means that despite those issues, customers are not deserting. 

So you respond to conspiracy theory with pseudoscience?  Clearly, AT&T markets phones in a very different manner than Apple does its iPhone.  How is that significant?

AT&T has maintained a clear business-oriented focus in their smartphone line for years.  Android is not quite ready for prime time in the enterprise corporate network.

Unfortunately, with regards to bloatware, it appears AT&T may be taking a page from Verizon's playbook in bundling unnecessary apps on their phones.  VZW used to go the extra mile and disable functionality on their phones so they could sell you branded add-on services.

diagoro wrote:

AT&T's churn rate fell to 1.29 percent from 1.48 percent a year earlier, with postpaid defections falling to 1.01 percent.  What is interesting about the impressively low churn is the amount of "bad press" AT&T gets about dropped calls and "no or weak signal" issues. If real customers were as bothered as one might think, based on all those reports, the low churn means that despite those issues, customers are not deserting. 

So you respond to conspiracy theory with pseudoscience?  Clearly, AT&T markets phones in a very different manner than Apple does its iPhone.  How is that significant?

AT&T has maintained a clear business-oriented focus in their smartphone line for years.  Android is not quite ready for prime time in the enterprise corporate network.

Unfortunately, with regards to bloatware, it appears AT&T may be taking a page from Verizon's playbook in bundling unnecessary apps on their phones.  VZW used to go the extra mile and disable functionality on their phones so they could sell you branded add-on services.

diagoro wrote:

57 of 68 (485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 2:38:28 PM
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

diagoro wrote:

A 'questionable future' in terms of what direction they will go, at least once they lose exclusivity. I'm not the only one wondering this. I never made any "ludicrous" comments, nor did I imply the belief that ATT would cease to exist at any point. I, as a customer who is interested in a high-end Android phone (above what they have now, and on par with the other carriers), would like to see some real effort. Look around, quite a few of ATT's customers are waiting for the same thing.

God forbid ATT OR Verizon buy Sprint, the last thing we need is the industry to devolve into one or two large companies controlling what happens from the top down. 

wingrider01 wrote:

diagoro wrote:

A 'questionable future' in terms of what direction they will go, at least once they lose exclusivity. I'm not the only one wondering this. I never made any "ludicrous" comments, nor did I imply the belief that ATT would cease to exist at any point. I, as a customer who is interested in a high-end Android phone (above what they have now, and on par with the other carriers), would like to see some real effort. Look around, quite a few of ATT's customers are waiting for the same thing.

God forbid ATT OR Verizon buy Sprint, the last thing we need is the industry to devolve into one or two large companies controlling what happens from the top down. 

58 of 68 (459 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 2:54:33 PM
(0)
Scholar

BrianfromNO wrote:

Do I really want to respond to this? Do I need to? "So you respond to conspiracy theory with pseudoscience?"???? You're obviously a proud iphone owner, so I shouldn't dispute ANY of Apples own psuedoscience. I'll bet you also believe ALL phones have the same 'loss of signal' issue the iphone has/had.

I can't speak to ATT's business focus (or not), but it's not quite a good argument in terms of Android. Had a 'business focus' device been a requirement, the new WP7 would be highly questioned by many, with lack of removable media, tethering, copy & paste, etc. WP7 may improve, but ATT's putting a whole lot of focus on a new os that looks more like a cheap mp3 player than high-end phone. 

Rejoice, I'm done with this thread, as many others have discovered, rather than discussing opinions or points of view, many are jumping rabidly behind whatever core belief they have (Apple fan-boys anyone?).......(no doubt, much of this post will be deleted for some reason)

BrianfromNO wrote:

Do I really want to respond to this? Do I need to? "So you respond to conspiracy theory with pseudoscience?"???? You're obviously a proud iphone owner, so I shouldn't dispute ANY of Apples own psuedoscience. I'll bet you also believe ALL phones have the same 'loss of signal' issue the iphone has/had.

I can't speak to ATT's business focus (or not), but it's not quite a good argument in terms of Android. Had a 'business focus' device been a requirement, the new WP7 would be highly questioned by many, with lack of removable media, tethering, copy & paste, etc. WP7 may improve, but ATT's putting a whole lot of focus on a new os that looks more like a cheap mp3 player than high-end phone. 

Rejoice, I'm done with this thread, as many others have discovered, rather than discussing opinions or points of view, many are jumping rabidly behind whatever core belief they have (Apple fan-boys anyone?).......(no doubt, much of this post will be deleted for some reason)

59 of 68 (453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 3:47:22 PM
(0)
Expert

diagoro wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

diagoro wrote:

funny, it has been documented that verizon is not getting the iphone anytome soon - by verizon's own executives - and before you ask, yes it has been linked in the forums before so go look for it. I do see that you glossed over your comment about the "spotty network coverages" though and court documents published in a crass action suite show that att has the iphone through 2012 - again been linked and documented in these forums

hmm, funny this comment sure seems to indicate what you claim you did not "and a questionable future........"

Personal prediction - Sprint will be bought out within the next 5 years or file for reorganization - back in sept of 2009, T-Mobile's parent company made a bid for Sprint to the tune of 10.6 billion - of course it could have all been a ploy to boost their flagging stock since there was an immediate 10 percent rise in their stock becasue of the rumor. As far back as 2005 there was a proposed buyout of sprint by verizon. right now Sprints sotcks are a roller coaster ride in ups and downs - currently is closed forn at 4.60. A diety will not have any control over it, just the financial markets

diagoro wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

diagoro wrote:

funny, it has been documented that verizon is not getting the iphone anytome soon - by verizon's own executives - and before you ask, yes it has been linked in the forums before so go look for it. I do see that you glossed over your comment about the "spotty network coverages" though and court documents published in a crass action suite show that att has the iphone through 2012 - again been linked and documented in these forums

hmm, funny this comment sure seems to indicate what you claim you did not "and a questionable future........"

Personal prediction - Sprint will be bought out within the next 5 years or file for reorganization - back in sept of 2009, T-Mobile's parent company made a bid for Sprint to the tune of 10.6 billion - of course it could have all been a ploy to boost their flagging stock since there was an immediate 10 percent rise in their stock becasue of the rumor. As far back as 2005 there was a proposed buyout of sprint by verizon. right now Sprints sotcks are a roller coaster ride in ups and downs - currently is closed forn at 4.60. A diety will not have any control over it, just the financial markets

60 of 68 (442 Views)