Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 23, 2011
1:50:12 PM
View profile
Does AT&T use customer service contractors from outside the United States?

Recently I had to contact AT&t customer service by phone concerning my wireless phone plan. The customer service agent and her supervisor were helpful and answered my questions but it was hard to understand them at times because of their accent and broken English. They sounded just like my doctor who is from India. I asked the supervisor if they were in the United States and his reply was "We are not allowed to divulge that information."

Come on AT&T, what does the "A" stand for in your name? If you must hire outside contractors, especially phone operators, please hire from here in the United States of America.

Recently I had to contact AT&t customer service by phone concerning my wireless phone plan. The customer service agent and her supervisor were helpful and answered my questions but it was hard to understand them at times because of their accent and broken English. They sounded just like my doctor who is from India. I asked the supervisor if they were in the United States and his reply was "We are not allowed to divulge that information."

Come on AT&T, what does the "A" stand for in your name? If you must hire outside contractors, especially phone operators, please hire from here in the United States of America.

Does AT&T use customer service contractors from outside the United States?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2011 2:06:25 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Mar 23, 2011 at 2:13:52 PM

"is there anything else i can do for you?..."

OUFlyingBobcat wrote:

I can say I have had some good results when speaking with a competent customer rep and/or manager. but have had a share of scary ones as well.

I dont know if the customerservice rep i had the honor to encounter today was outside U.S. but i know she HAD to have been from OUTER SPACE.

I noticed some not so plesant upload/download speeds (when wifi is not activated ) on all of my lines over last few weeks.  So today, i decided to check the phone while i was in the center of metro HOUSTon, one of ATT's HOTTEST HOTSPOTS and upgraded services ever! (hehheh). long story short... the phone had 4 bars, 3G signal and could NOT, i repeat could NOT open google, yahoo, even ATT.com. .... then the very moment i turned on wifi and tapped into a local service (NOT an att hotspot either) then thing flew like a rocket!

ive had the same issue at home on all of my lines (no data movement or crawl on "ATT's FASTEST network bandwith alone, but,, man did it go the  moment i turned on wi-fi).

Called this in today; got a customer service rep; not happy, i first asked her to simply go over all of my current features on the primary line (and can chat about the secondary and third line next).

The chica told me i had LIMITED data on the primary.. i said what!?! what does that mean to you, explain your definition of limited.. she couldnt.. then i asked are you saying i dont have "unlimited" data on this phone? she said, "well im looking at it and it says you have limited, so you dont have unlimited... ".. i hung up.

called back, got another cust rep, asked for mgr immediately; walked thru plan... YES i haev unlimited, grandfathered as i thought, then ranted about the baaaad cust servic we have and it is for sure costing potential customers to go elsewhere when they encounter wrong info... anyway, other than the cust rep from outerspace, the mgr could not see any work going on in th area and had no answer to why my phones only peform when wifi is boosting it instead of me getting to experience the nations fastest 3g network... hope somebody's experiencing it...   sham.... losing faith, fastly....

"is there anything else i can do for you?..."

OUFlyingBobcat wrote:

I can say I have had some good results when speaking with a competent customer rep and/or manager. but have had a share of scary ones as well.

I dont know if the customerservice rep i had the honor to encounter today was outside U.S. but i know she HAD to have been from OUTER SPACE.

I noticed some not so plesant upload/download speeds (when wifi is not activated ) on all of my lines over last few weeks.  So today, i decided to check the phone while i was in the center of metro HOUSTon, one of ATT's HOTTEST HOTSPOTS and upgraded services ever! (hehheh). long story short... the phone had 4 bars, 3G signal and could NOT, i repeat could NOT open google, yahoo, even ATT.com. .... then the very moment i turned on wifi and tapped into a local service (NOT an att hotspot either) then thing flew like a rocket!

ive had the same issue at home on all of my lines (no data movement or crawl on "ATT's FASTEST network bandwith alone, but,, man did it go the  moment i turned on wi-fi).

Called this in today; got a customer service rep; not happy, i first asked her to simply go over all of my current features on the primary line (and can chat about the secondary and third line next).

The chica told me i had LIMITED data on the primary.. i said what!?! what does that mean to you, explain your definition of limited.. she couldnt.. then i asked are you saying i dont have "unlimited" data on this phone? she said, "well im looking at it and it says you have limited, so you dont have unlimited... ".. i hung up.

called back, got another cust rep, asked for mgr immediately; walked thru plan... YES i haev unlimited, grandfathered as i thought, then ranted about the baaaad cust servic we have and it is for sure costing potential customers to go elsewhere when they encounter wrong info... anyway, other than the cust rep from outerspace, the mgr could not see any work going on in th area and had no answer to why my phones only peform when wifi is boosting it instead of me getting to experience the nations fastest 3g network... hope somebody's experiencing it...   sham.... losing faith, fastly....

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

Dont know about Outside U.S. but Outer Space? hmm Maybe.

[ Edited ]
2 of 8 (3,066 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2011 7:47:01 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah they outsource prepaid to the Phillipines so I wouldn't be suprised if postpaid is out there too.

Yeah they outsource prepaid to the Phillipines so I wouldn't be suprised if postpaid is out there too.

Re: Dont know about Outside U.S. but Outer Space? hmm Maybe.

3 of 8 (2,850 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2011 10:55:43 AM
(0)
Expert

wilto1987 wrote:

The only foreign accent I have every gotten when working with a rep is TN, other then that all have spoken pretty good English

wilto1987 wrote:

The only foreign accent I have every gotten when working with a rep is TN, other then that all have spoken pretty good English

Re: Dont know about Outside U.S. but Outer Space? hmm Maybe.

4 of 8 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2011 11:25:25 AM
(0)
Master
In the three times I have called customer service for AT&T phones, I have gotten three different accents. One sounded Indian, the second American, and the third one had a Latin slant to her voice.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
In the three times I have called customer service for AT&T phones, I have gotten three different accents. One sounded Indian, the second American, and the third one had a Latin slant to her voice.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

Re: Does AT&T use customer service contractors from outside the United States?

5 of 8 (2,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2011 3:23:13 PM
(0)
Employee
there are centers in Passing and Alabang. But also in Monterey for our Spanish customers.
there are centers in Passing and Alabang. But also in Monterey for our Spanish customers.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 8 (2,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2011 11:08:00 PM
(0)
Contributor

Welcome to the "new world order"...

JPMorganChase just treated me with the Indonesian factor also. Based on my personal experience in the IT Security sector, all private and public sectors have outsourced customer service to India, Brazil, Argentina, and .... next?

Maybe China will perform security. They already own our dollar.

JPMorganChase just treated me with the Indonesian factor also. Based on my personal experience in the IT Security sector, all private and public sectors have outsourced customer service to India, Brazil, Argentina, and .... next?

7 of 8 (2,802 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2011 3:13:43 AM
(0)
Expert

tomdickerson wrote:

kind of a broad statement "all private and public sectors" - basicly you are claiming that all companies have done this, that is not true, I know of a number of companies that still have all of their online and phone support housed witin the US

tomdickerson wrote:

kind of a broad statement "all private and public sectors" - basicly you are claiming that all companies have done this, that is not true, I know of a number of companies that still have all of their online and phone support housed witin the US

8 of 8 (2,796 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments