View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2008 7:26:40 AM
(0)
Tutor
Ahh.. I was using close to if not just over 5GB each month.  At least for the 4 months that I had it.  Now I have a solid DSL connection I didn't need it anymore and cancelled.  I was kinda happy to.  The aircard was kind of a pain in the butt while I had it.  I actually tried to play dumb about the contract but I never really did go through any kind of automated system although I knew about the 2yr commitment agreement.  Unfortunately when you try to do any kind of traceroute it gets stuck at isp.cingular or at wap.cingular depending on what setup you are using (I tried both and I loaded the software loaded with wap.cingular as backup).  I actually tried to call their advanced tech support and explain it to them but they didn't seem to know what I was talking about and silently transferred me to sierra wireless (real professional... not!).  They put me on hold to "research" it then the next thing I knew I had sierra wireless on the line.

Re: Do you use more that 5 GB per month? Read this post

2 of 12 (10,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2008 10:37:13 AM
(0)
Scholar
The thing I like also is that it is limited to 5GB, but there will not be overage billed at this time, which I though was kinda strange!

3 of 12 (10,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2008 4:25:18 PM
(0)
Scholar

DWC1 wrote:

I have a Sprint Evdo card coming in the mail. I had been sitting on the fence on trying them out, only have 2 months on my contract left anyway. This pushed me over. I don't know how much data I use, nor am I counting. I'll go to where I can get unlimited data. I don't care what anyone says, $60 a month is not cheap internet access, and I'm not playing this game. Thanks Cingular for 15 months of great service, as for AT&T and the remaining 9 months, thanks for nothing.

4 of 12 (10,226 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2008 4:48:24 PM
(0)
Master
If Verizon and now at&t are imposing these caps I would not be surprised to see Sprint far behind.  Probably the only thing stopping them at the moment is that they are desperately losing customers every month.

5 of 12 (10,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2008 6:02:16 PM
(0)
Mentor

DWC1 wrote:
...Probably the only thing stopping them at the moment is that they are desperately losing customers every month.

Leaving even more bandwidth for the new/remaining customers.... while it lasts Smiley Happy

Talon Dancer

6 of 12 (10,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2008 4:03:03 AM
(0)
Scholar

TalonDancer wrote:

DWC1 wrote:
...Probably the only thing stopping them at the moment is that they are desperately losing customers every month.

Leaving even more bandwidth for the new/remaining customers.... while it lasts Smiley Happy

Talon Dancer

I don't see Sprint going anywhere in the next two years, or any evidence that they are suffering at all.

My reasons for leaving: First off, my card's EDGE/GPRS radio is burned out or something, whenever I acquire a signal it sends a spike through my laptop, and my laptop shuts off. It started doing this last weekend. Still works using the HSDPA side, which I'm using now. I need a new card, $49.99. I hang up the phone with AT&T, thinking I might try ebay to save a few bucks, but first I check here to see what's going on and I read about the new 5 gig cap. I check Sprint, new card $29.99, (with GPS I might add) and no data caps.

$60 a month is A LOT  of money for internet accesss, by dang near anyone's standard's. I shouldn't have to be afraid to use it if I'm paying that much. The sad thing is I doubt I come close to 5 gigs a month, since 99% of my activity is blogging and message boarding with an EDGE connection. It's just the principal of the thing.

7 of 12 (10,191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2008 5:51:19 AM
(0)
Master

waynefoutz wrote:

I don't see Sprint going anywhere in the next two years, or any evidence that they are suffering at all.

Have you been reading any of the press on Sprint lately?  They are laying off over 4000 employees and are losing customers at an alarming rate.  Last quarter alone they lost over 750,000 customers who went to the competition.  If that's not suffering I'm not sure what is.

8 of 12 (10,184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2008 6:42:35 AM
(0)
Master
In all honesty let the fella leave.  The grass is always greener on the other side.  Maybe when they get to their home and realize they have no coverage or when they are travelling they come to realize once again the lack of coverage then they will come to realize why they got such a "deal."

9 of 12 (10,180 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2008 2:59:48 PM
(0)
Mentor
Once sprint launches WiMax I think it would be impossible for them to cap their "unlimited" data without killing themselves.
No one would pay for 100 mbps if you could only use it for 5 hours a month and then BAMB hit a brick wall named softcap.

10 of 12 (9,981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2008 7:58:06 AM
(0)
Guru
As of today at least, I see that my (existing) plan is "Data Connect including Unlimited MB". If I go to at&t's wireless site and search for data plans available, the only laptop plan shown is "Data Connect" Included Data - 5000 MB for $60.00 / month.

Data Connect
-----------------
Rate Plan Details
Included Data 5000 MB
Additional data $0/KB
Canadian Data $0.015/KB
International Data $0.02/KB

11 of 12 (2,079 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2008 5:16:33 AM
(0)
Scholar

Excalibur wrote:
In all honesty let the fella leave.  The grass is always greener on the other side.  Maybe when they get to their home and realize they have no coverage or when they are travelling they come to realize once again the lack of coverage then they will come to realize why they got such a "deal."

Using this test from my living room:

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

AT&T card on EDGE (which no longer works but last time I checked when it was)
100 kbps

New Sprint EVDO card:

377 kbps

Time will tell how well it works in all the places I travel, I got 2 months left on my AT&T contract but the card only works on the HSDPA side. But so far, I'm impressed with the competition. 

Nice lovely shade of green.

12 of 12 (2,035 Views)