Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Sep 6, 2011
3:16:11 PM
View profile
Do unlimited data plans transfer to new devices?

I currently have an AC 860 air card with an unlimited data plan. I was looking into purchasing the MIFI and was told that I could swap SIM cards and the data plan would remain the same.  I see now the 4G LTE mobile hotspot is out. If I can also put my SIM from the 860 in the Elevate 4G, will I still be able to keep my unlimited data plan, or do I need to stick with a 3G device to keep unlimited data?

I currently have an AC 860 air card with an unlimited data plan. I was looking into purchasing the MIFI and was told that I could swap SIM cards and the data plan would remain the same.  I see now the 4G LTE mobile hotspot is out. If I can also put my SIM from the 860 in the Elevate 4G, will I still be able to keep my unlimited data plan, or do I need to stick with a 3G device to keep unlimited data?

Do unlimited data plans transfer to new devices?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 6:23:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

In short, sadly, no they don't. I have already tried this and had absolutely no luck whatsoever.

AT$T has been doing everything they possibly can to get rid of the unlimited folks such as us. Basically, we're at a point where, yes you can sit on your unlimited data plan for as long as you want, but you will never be allowed to upgrade your equipment and still keep that plan. On top of that, we're going to be throttled after going past a certain unspecified data threshold in any billing cycle.

In essence, there is absolutley no way folks like you and I are ever going to be able to use the new LTE network and still keep unlimited data. Maybe if you could somehow buy the necesary equipment direct from the manufacturer (NOT AT$T), you might get it to work that way, but even then, I doubt it because our account credentials wouldn't allow us access either. Personally, I think limited data on a faster network is completely pointless (apart from putting more $$$ in AT$T's pockets of course); you're only going to chew through 5GB in a month that much quicker! To put it another way, what's the point of buying a Ferrari if you're only going to be allowed to drive it 5 miles before incurring overage charges? Stupid stupid stupid...

BRING BACK UNLIMITED DATA AT$T!!!!

In short, sadly, no they don't. I have already tried this and had absolutely no luck whatsoever.

AT$T has been doing everything they possibly can to get rid of the unlimited folks such as us. Basically, we're at a point where, yes you can sit on your unlimited data plan for as long as you want, but you will never be allowed to upgrade your equipment and still keep that plan. On top of that, we're going to be throttled after going past a certain unspecified data threshold in any billing cycle.

In essence, there is absolutley no way folks like you and I are ever going to be able to use the new LTE network and still keep unlimited data. Maybe if you could somehow buy the necesary equipment direct from the manufacturer (NOT AT$T), you might get it to work that way, but even then, I doubt it because our account credentials wouldn't allow us access either. Personally, I think limited data on a faster network is completely pointless (apart from putting more $$$ in AT$T's pockets of course); you're only going to chew through 5GB in a month that much quicker! To put it another way, what's the point of buying a Ferrari if you're only going to be allowed to drive it 5 miles before incurring overage charges? Stupid stupid stupid...

BRING BACK UNLIMITED DATA AT$T!!!!

Re: Do unlimited data plans transfer to new devices?

2 of 11 (2,708 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2011 4:19:18 AM
(0)
Teacher

You know, I have been wondering what AT&T is going to do now that everyone and their uncle sell their 'ace in the hole' but with unlimited plans.  I wasn't fortunate enough to make the switch when they still offered that.  I just couldn't wait any longer to get that iPhone, especially since Sprint didn't know if they even would get it.  If I had known, I'm pretty sure I would have waited that extra year just to have the unlimited data.

Just my thoughts!

Have a great day!!

l

You know, I have been wondering what AT&T is going to do now that everyone and their uncle sell their 'ace in the hole' but with unlimited plans.  I wasn't fortunate enough to make the switch when they still offered that.  I just couldn't wait any longer to get that iPhone, especially since Sprint didn't know if they even would get it.  If I had known, I'm pretty sure I would have waited that extra year just to have the unlimited data.

Just my thoughts!

Have a great day!!

l

3 of 11 (2,660 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 11:49:42 AM
(0)
Contributor

ASehn wrote: "Basically, we're at a point where, yes you can sit on your unlimited data plan for as long as you want, but you will never be allowed to upgrade your equipment and still keep that plan"

I don't understand what you mean by this.  I just recently upgraded my iPhone 3 to an iPhone 4, and I have no problems with keeping my unlimited plan.  As long as you never cancel your plan, you can never lose it.

ASehn wrote: "Basically, we're at a point where, yes you can sit on your unlimited data plan for as long as you want, but you will never be allowed to upgrade your equipment and still keep that plan"

I don't understand what you mean by this.  I just recently upgraded my iPhone 3 to an iPhone 4, and I have no problems with keeping my unlimited plan.  As long as you never cancel your plan, you can never lose it.

4 of 11 (2,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 7:28:30 PM
(0)
Contributor
i have an air card for 3yrs now i'm so sick of going over my 5g limit. i'm about to switch to sprintq next week.
i have an air card for 3yrs now i'm so sick of going over my 5g limit. i'm about to switch to sprintq next week.

5 of 11 (2,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2012 7:22:49 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by DeeBat on Feb 18, 2012 at 7:23:33 AM

I had an unlimited plan, but it doesn't make any difference.  Even though the name of  your plan might still be "Unlimited", you have a 5GB cap.  AT&T will shut you down when you reach 5GB, then you can call them to allow you to go over at $0.05 a megabyte ($50 / GB).

I had an unlimited plan, but it doesn't make any difference.  Even though the name of  your plan might still be "Unlimited", you have a 5GB cap.  AT&T will shut you down when you reach 5GB, then you can call them to allow you to go over at $0.05 a megabyte ($50 / GB).

[ Edited ]
6 of 11 (2,006 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2012 6:58:50 AM
(0)
Mentor

For sure what Deebat said, I just found out last month and they said they started doing that in Aug 2010. My account online still says unlimited, As far as I can tell I am getting throttled back after about 3.5 gigs also. Downloaded a 1.7 gig linux last weekend , download speed 2,6 mbps put my usage up to 3.7 gigs for the month and I get an email from at&t warning me if I hit 5 gigs they will suspend my accout till I agree to pay the rediculas overage charges, sense then I get a lot lower speeds 1.4 to 1.6 average and this morning as low as .75 mbps. 

I am still running the ol 875 card on 3g 

It is sure not what I signed up and paying for, getting jacked around and never hit the 5 gig cap yet. Tells me they don't want my buisness anymore so I am in the proccesss of switching, wont have anything with AT&T when finished  and I have been a loyal wireless customer of theres sence 1988

Tom

For sure what Deebat said, I just found out last month and they said they started doing that in Aug 2010. My account online still says unlimited, As far as I can tell I am getting throttled back after about 3.5 gigs also. Downloaded a 1.7 gig linux last weekend , download speed 2,6 mbps put my usage up to 3.7 gigs for the month and I get an email from at&t warning me if I hit 5 gigs they will suspend my accout till I agree to pay the rediculas overage charges, sense then I get a lot lower speeds 1.4 to 1.6 average and this morning as low as .75 mbps. 

I am still running the ol 875 card on 3g 

It is sure not what I signed up and paying for, getting jacked around and never hit the 5 gig cap yet. Tells me they don't want my buisness anymore so I am in the proccesss of switching, wont have anything with AT&T when finished  and I have been a loyal wireless customer of theres sence 1988

Tom

7 of 11 (1,974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2012 8:05:48 AM
(0)
Guru

It doesn't make any sense to stay with those old "unlimited" plans.  The new 5GB plan is $10 less per month ($50 vs $60 for the old plan), and the overages are reasonable ($10 per GB vs $50 per GB on the old plan).

To top it off, the new 4G LTE network is really nice and fast - if you have it in your coverage area.  Of course you need to buy a new device to take advantage of the 4G LTE network.  Best to do both at once, upgrade the device and sign a new contract to get the device at a reasonable price.  Be sure you do change data plans when you buy the device.  I had to request this at the AT&T store - I was not asked if I wanted the newer data plan when I bought a new 4G LTE hotspot.

It doesn't make any sense to stay with those old "unlimited" plans.  The new 5GB plan is $10 less per month ($50 vs $60 for the old plan), and the overages are reasonable ($10 per GB vs $50 per GB on the old plan).

To top it off, the new 4G LTE network is really nice and fast - if you have it in your coverage area.  Of course you need to buy a new device to take advantage of the 4G LTE network.  Best to do both at once, upgrade the device and sign a new contract to get the device at a reasonable price.  Be sure you do change data plans when you buy the device.  I had to request this at the AT&T store - I was not asked if I wanted the newer data plan when I bought a new 4G LTE hotspot.

8 of 11 (1,968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2012 5:13:15 PM
(0)
Mentor

Yep the new plan at $50 would be better if the 5 gig cap is ok with you. There are a lot more options out there now days, I can't get DSL or cable here, didn't like the one sided contract from the satelite company and that was why I went with cingular .

I found a couple outfits online selling unlimited 3g with sprint / nextel towers, don't know how good it would be guess it would depend on your location. I ended up going with a fixed wireless broadband, works just like DSL, paying for unlimited 1.5 speed and that is what I am getting. It's nice having an allways on wireless router VS ICS with wireless access point .

Tom

Yep the new plan at $50 would be better if the 5 gig cap is ok with you. There are a lot more options out there now days, I can't get DSL or cable here, didn't like the one sided contract from the satelite company and that was why I went with cingular .

I found a couple outfits online selling unlimited 3g with sprint / nextel towers, don't know how good it would be guess it would depend on your location. I ended up going with a fixed wireless broadband, works just like DSL, paying for unlimited 1.5 speed and that is what I am getting. It's nice having an allways on wireless router VS ICS with wireless access point .

Tom

9 of 11 (1,831 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2012 3:15:06 AM
(0)
Contributor
I currently hold 3 devices 2 iPhones and and iPad all with grandfathered unlimited plans and have been able to transfer my unlimited plan to the newer devices. I am currently on the iPhone 4GS getting 4G unlimited service and upgraded my iPad to the 3rd generation iPad it is currently running unlimited 4GLTE with no problem what so ever. So as long as you maintain your plan active you can transfer it to newer devices. But Note you will not get any discounts on any of the newer devices and keep the plan, you have to outright buy the device and pay full price for it or buy it on ebay. But there are ways around that if you have a family plan or multiple devices.
I currently hold 3 devices 2 iPhones and and iPad all with grandfathered unlimited plans and have been able to transfer my unlimited plan to the newer devices. I am currently on the iPhone 4GS getting 4G unlimited service and upgraded my iPad to the 3rd generation iPad it is currently running unlimited 4GLTE with no problem what so ever. So as long as you maintain your plan active you can transfer it to newer devices. But Note you will not get any discounts on any of the newer devices and keep the plan, you have to outright buy the device and pay full price for it or buy it on ebay. But there are ways around that if you have a family plan or multiple devices.

10 of 11 (1,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2012 3:20:07 AM
(0)
Contributor
I don't know what plan your talking about my iPhone unlimited grandfathered plan is only $30 a month and my iPad unlimited data plan is $29.99 a month and I get 4G LTE service with no worries of overage charges!!! That is Sweet!!!
I don't know what plan your talking about my iPhone unlimited grandfathered plan is only $30 a month and my iPad unlimited data plan is $29.99 a month and I get 4G LTE service with no worries of overage charges!!! That is Sweet!!!

11 of 11 (1,653 Views)