Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 24, 2012
12:59:47 PM
View profile
Do NOT ever...

...fall for the DirecTv/internet/telephone "bundle."

Yes you get a new phone. Well it really costs a penny but since that is nowhere near the value of the phone even as a doorstop (which is about all mine is good for) the phone is basically free.

Trying to figure out how to use the phone which has too many user possibilities makes it so the phone is useless.

Read the User Manual? Certainly. As soon as it is translated into understandable English from the Phone & Computer-Tech language, I will give a fiftieth try at reading the thing and hoping for solutions to problems:

WHERE are the incoming calls that came in when I was nowhere near the phone so could not answer it? There is no indication at all on the opening screen as to where such recorded numbers might be.

WHY is the phone supposedly internet-access-capable, when duh obviously there is no way to get to internet via a phone. NO mouse, wired or wireless, for one thing. What is a person supposed to do?, WAVE at the screen if a site is actually found? This is another instance where an understandable users' manual would be a help...

WHERE are supposedly-recorded incoming messages? They cannot be found on this incomprehensible junk. Even in the "Phone Use For Dummies," by which I mean the "QuickStart" section of the manual, there is no indicator as to where caller-recorded-voice-message might be found. Again I'm wondering whether a WAVE OF THE HAND at the phone is the magic trick needed?

WHY does a camera that no one can use have to be part of this Samsung phone? I have a camera. It takes pictures very well. Same as with the computer-in-phone, I also have no use for camera-in-phone.

Just a simple, no useless and unnecessary frills such as internet access and some sort of camera, phone. It should allow outgoing calls, incoming calls and, if the owner of the phone is not within phone-grabbing distance when the ridiculously complicated thing rings, a message recording facet.

Of course it would be nice if the area in the phone where recorded messages went could be found...

HOW can the ringer on the phone be turned off if the phone-owner happens to be in an area that forbids the use of cellular phones?? There is no "Ringer Off" facet anywhere I can see on the phone.

HOW is the phone to be held since every way I've tried to hold onto the thing results in either disconnecting the call, not allowing the person to whom I was speaking to go on hearing me, nor can I hear anything from the other person involved in the phone call.

WHY does the "Press & Hold" icon on the screen not respond at all no matter how gently or firmly the icon balloon is situated? There is no use whatsoever for yet another thing that does not work on this "phone" that already has too many non-working-properly things added in.

(I'm pretty sure there is a kitchen sink buried somewhere in the thing I hate more and more with each new day.)

HOW is a person who has been reading and speaking English for 60 years supposed to understand the strident TechSpeak of the user manual? ENGLISH!  I speak English, not whatever language in which the manual is written.

Do not try to get any cooperation out of ATT, Samsung which manufactured the unusable phone, OR DirecTv. Each place tries to place blame on one or both of the others.

If a person manages to get past the You Have Not Phoned The Correct Department, the 'wrong department' advisor will offer to connect the caller to another (and hopefully correct) department.

IF anyone offers to transfer your call because they do not want to deal with you or your phone/internet/tv issues, say No! Ask immediately to be told the number your call is supposedly going to be transferred to...or don't do that and live to regret it when your call-being-transferred gets "lost."

Just thought someone might appreciate the heads'-up I wish I had been given before I signed on to use this piece of junk for TWO YEARS...

I'll be getting rid of computer, phone, and DirecTv as soon as possible. The bummer here is that I will have to go on paying for a thing that does not work properly, that I can get NO help with, and the thing does not allow people whose only language is English get to any workable solution for huge problems.

Again please profit by my stupidity. Don't try the bundle thing. It's useless. 

Yes you get a new phone. Well it really costs a penny but since that is nowhere near the value of the phone even as a doorstop (which is about all mine is good for) the phone is basically free.

Trying to figure out how to use the phone which has too many user possibilities makes it so the phone is useless.

Read the User Manual? Certainly. As soon as it is translated into understandable English from the Phone & Computer-Tech language, I will give a fiftieth try at reading the thing and hoping for solutions to problems:

WHERE are the incoming calls that came in when I was nowhere near the phone so could not answer it? There is no indication at all on the opening screen as to where such recorded numbers might be.

WHY is the phone supposedly internet-access-capable, when duh obviously there is no way to get to internet via a phone. NO mouse, wired or wireless, for one thing. What is a person supposed to do?, WAVE at the screen if a site is actually found? This is another instance where an understandable users' manual would be a help...

WHERE are supposedly-recorded incoming messages? They cannot be found on this incomprehensible junk. Even in the "Phone Use For Dummies," by which I mean the "QuickStart" section of the manual, there is no indicator as to where caller-recorded-voice-message might be found. Again I'm wondering whether a WAVE OF THE HAND at the phone is the magic trick needed?

WHY does a camera that no one can use have to be part of this Samsung phone? I have a camera. It takes pictures very well. Same as with the computer-in-phone, I also have no use for camera-in-phone.

Just a simple, no useless and unnecessary frills such as internet access and some sort of camera, phone. It should allow outgoing calls, incoming calls and, if the owner of the phone is not within phone-grabbing distance when the ridiculously complicated thing rings, a message recording facet.

Of course it would be nice if the area in the phone where recorded messages went could be found...

HOW can the ringer on the phone be turned off if the phone-owner happens to be in an area that forbids the use of cellular phones?? There is no "Ringer Off" facet anywhere I can see on the phone.

HOW is the phone to be held since every way I've tried to hold onto the thing results in either disconnecting the call, not allowing the person to whom I was speaking to go on hearing me, nor can I hear anything from the other person involved in the phone call.

WHY does the "Press & Hold" icon on the screen not respond at all no matter how gently or firmly the icon balloon is situated? There is no use whatsoever for yet another thing that does not work on this "phone" that already has too many non-working-properly things added in.

(I'm pretty sure there is a kitchen sink buried somewhere in the thing I hate more and more with each new day.)

HOW is a person who has been reading and speaking English for 60 years supposed to understand the strident TechSpeak of the user manual? ENGLISH!  I speak English, not whatever language in which the manual is written.

Do not try to get any cooperation out of ATT, Samsung which manufactured the unusable phone, OR DirecTv. Each place tries to place blame on one or both of the others.

If a person manages to get past the You Have Not Phoned The Correct Department, the 'wrong department' advisor will offer to connect the caller to another (and hopefully correct) department.

IF anyone offers to transfer your call because they do not want to deal with you or your phone/internet/tv issues, say No! Ask immediately to be told the number your call is supposedly going to be transferred to...or don't do that and live to regret it when your call-being-transferred gets "lost."

Just thought someone might appreciate the heads'-up I wish I had been given before I signed on to use this piece of junk for TWO YEARS...

I'll be getting rid of computer, phone, and DirecTv as soon as possible. The bummer here is that I will have to go on paying for a thing that does not work properly, that I can get NO help with, and the thing does not allow people whose only language is English get to any workable solution for huge problems.

Do NOT ever...

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2012 7:58:15 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Taylarie on Jan 25, 2012 at 8:09:45 AM

If you're going to rant about a Samsung device, at least specify which Samsung device it is.

It seems almost like you have a smartphone and haven't figured out that it uses a touchscreen for the user interface...

{keep it courteous}

"WHY is the phone supposedly internet-access-capable, when duh obviously there is no way to get to internet via a phone." - Every cellular system for over a decade has had data capability.  In early systems, it was pseudo-dialup just like a modem.  In anything since 2003 or so, it's packet-based data.  In fact, all modern cellular systems are data-optimized, and telephony features are just voice over IP on the phone company's internal network for many modern phones.

These days, in fact, many customers use their phones more for data than for voice.  That's why, for example, the iPhone (and other smartphones such as the Android devices from Samsung, HTC, Motorola, and others) are such hot sellers.

If you're going to rant about a Samsung device, at least specify which Samsung device it is.

It seems almost like you have a smartphone and haven't figured out that it uses a touchscreen for the user interface...

{keep it courteous}

"WHY is the phone supposedly internet-access-capable, when duh obviously there is no way to get to internet via a phone." - Every cellular system for over a decade has had data capability.  In early systems, it was pseudo-dialup just like a modem.  In anything since 2003 or so, it's packet-based data.  In fact, all modern cellular systems are data-optimized, and telephony features are just voice over IP on the phone company's internal network for many modern phones.

These days, in fact, many customers use their phones more for data than for voice.  That's why, for example, the iPhone (and other smartphones such as the Android devices from Samsung, HTC, Motorola, and others) are such hot sellers.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

Re: Do NOT ever...

[ Edited ]
2 of 3 (365 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2012 5:04:56 AM
(0)
Guru

If you would like some help in figuring out your device then the most important thing to post would be the name and MODEL of your phone. I find it hard to believe that you can't find an online user manual in english. If you would please return and post the information then I will be happy to do a google search to help you find one.

Take a few deep breaths and relax. It sounds like you just need to figure out how to properly use your phone.

And may I add that if you have had your new phone less than 30 days you can return it and get another one to your liking.

ca215 wrote:

If you would like some help in figuring out your device then the most important thing to post would be the name and MODEL of your phone. I find it hard to believe that you can't find an online user manual in english. If you would please return and post the information then I will be happy to do a google search to help you find one.

Take a few deep breaths and relax. It sounds like you just need to figure out how to properly use your phone.

And may I add that if you have had your new phone less than 30 days you can return it and get another one to your liking.

ca215 wrote:

Re: Do NOT ever...

3 of 3 (284 Views)