Do At&t throttle all of their smart phones?????

Teacher

Do At&t throttle all of their smart phones?????

Message 1 of 13 (814 Views)
Expert

Re: Do At&t throttle all of their smart phones?????

only the grandfathered unlimited plans utilze throttling as the deterent from over use, the built in deterent to the tiered plan is the simple fact you pay 10.00 per GB for any data utilized over your base tiered plan allotment of 200MB or 2GB

Message 2 of 13 (802 Views)
Teacher

So If a get a Galaxy i have to get the 2GB plan and pay if I go over?
Message 3 of 13 (799 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

nvm, I found what I was looking for.

Message 4 of 13 (785 Views)
ACE - Professor

Any phone on the unlimited (grandfathered) plan is subject to the throttle. Any phone on any other plan is not. If you currently have the unlimited plan, switching phones does not change the throttle behavior.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 13 (765 Views)
Teacher

How do the other plans work??? If u go over they charge you plus slow down your speed or just charge you without slowing u down??
Message 6 of 13 (755 Views)
Expert

abraham0625 wrote:
How do the other plans work??? If u go over they charge you plus slow down your speed or just charge you without slowing u down??

on the other plans you pay for what you use over the base agreement,

25.00 - 2GB base agreement with 10.00 per gb overage charges, in the month on decement you use 4.6.GB you will be billed the 25.00 for the first 2GB, then 30.00 for the three additional blocks, that is no roll over at all.

You wil not be throttled, but you will pay the additional 30.00 on your monthly bill. In short you can utilize as much data as you want without being throttled, but you will be billed 10.00 per GB over your base plan, even if it is 100 MB over.

The restraint for tiered data plans is how much extra do you want to pay every month for the data

Message 7 of 13 (751 Views)
ACE - Professor

abraham0625 wrote:

You get 2GB/mo for $25. After that, each GB is added at $10 each. So you use 2.001-3GB you pay $$35. You use 3.01GB-4GB, $45, etc.

There is no throttle. Just potentially very large bills, if you use a lot of data.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 13 (732 Views)
Master

As already stated, the only smartphones that AT&T throttles are the people who are using them on an Unlimited Data plan (which is no longer available) and are using a large sum of mobile broadband data on them. The people with the tiered data plans will not be touched.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 9 of 13 (717 Views)
Professor

So much for the suggestion that AT&T is throttling due to "network congestion".  Someone who using 5GB on an unlimited plan and someone else who uses 5GB on a tiered plan are congesting the network the same.  The difference is that the person on the unlimited plan gets throtttled, while the person on the tiered plan doesn't.  The only difference is that AT&T gets more money from the person on the tiered plan.

Message 10 of 13 (707 Views)
Expert

dwill05 wrote:

So much for the suggestion that AT&T is throttling due to "network congestion".  Someone who using 5GB on an unlimited plan and someone else who uses 5GB on a tiered plan are congesting the network the same.  The difference is that the person on the unlimited plan gets throtttled, while the person on the tiered plan doesn't.  The only difference is that AT&T gets more money from the person on the tiered plan.

they are both forms of restraint, the only difference is the unlimited user does not get hit in the pocket book becasue of excessive use of data where the tiered user does. Both do the exact same thing (at lest they should), it makes the end user aware of the personal responsiblity just in diffrerent ways -

Unlimited = a slow down in the delivery transport method of the data that is still being consumed

Tier - a new block of 1GB is allocated to the customer for a specific price

Unless you have unlimited funding available to you to pay the overages every month, you will start looking at how you consume data and alter your methods to prevent you or who ever foots the bill for your phone and dats and alter your habits, same exact thing, just one costs money the other does not. The extra cost is a lot more effective in having people accept personal responsibility for data usage then throttling, but the way the grandfather plan is structured the only restraint is throttling.

Message 11 of 13 (578 Views)
ACE - Professor

dwill05 wrote:

AT&T doesn't disclose what the top 5% of metered plan uses consume, but they're paying for every GB over 2GB.

Or, as I have said many times in this and other related topics - paying $20 to watch a HD rerun of Law & Order streamed over 3G seems like a waste of money, so I don't do that. Hey look, I reduced congestion

Message 12 of 13 (571 Views)
Scholar

The Plans seem quite expensive in US on the AT&T network,
Here the UK Networks allow users
Example my tariff... 900mins Unlimited text messages and 1GB data with the 4S
For £45 a month

If you use ur data up your charged £1 a day 25mb

After 6 months Orange review the account if you
Don't use up much you can lower the tariff which is what
I'm doing the mins are pointless to myself plus I've got free calls
On my landline on weekends lol
Message 13 of 13 (539 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.