Disgusted with AT&T on shipping practices with FedEx.

Master

Disgusted with AT&T on shipping practices with FedEx.

Why is AT&T so cheap on how they mail their phones to customers.  Why is it so hard to send these expensive phones with a signature required. 

The last five (5) phones I have ordered from AT&T have all been delivered by FedEX and left on my front porch outside to where anyone can walk off with it (live in an apartment complex).

I came home and find an iPhone 4 sitting at the base of the door and anyone walking past could see it and have walked off with it (especially kids playing outside).  At least this one wasn't left at someones else's door like 2 of them were be FedEx in the past.

Never again if I can help it will I deal with online/phone sales to where they have to mail me anything expensive.

Message 1 of 61
Professor

Re: Disgusted with AT&T on shipping practices with FedEx.

Kind of lame of AT&T not requiring the 600k+ customers to sign their early packages. If they are this bad in communication services right now their shipping services are a dead giveaway.

If I was a thief whom knew this guy was buying Apple Cellulars when they came out I'd camp on a lawn nearby and stroll off without needing to sign with the box.
Message 31 of 61
Master

I would try to contact a FedEx manager in your area to report this.  I don't think this is standard FedEx policy.  You may just have  rogue driver who has or had an arrangement with whoever lived in the apartment prior to you.

Message 32 of 61
Teacher

To all of you bashing FedEx, UPS wasn't any better.

The packaging had no protection whatsoever.  Theyy basically took the iPhone box, put it in a bigger box, and taped it shut.  I can only hope my phone didn't get beat up horribly while being moved around.

They did not require a signature.  Just to be sure, I took off work so I would personally be there when they arrived.  When they did, I was already outside so I walked up to greet him.  He was clearly in a rush, he just handed me the package and left.

"So, do I need to sign anything for this?"

Nothing.  Didn't even turn around, just got back in and drove away.  Other then being in the driveway, I showed no evidence that I was the owner of the package or that I knew what it was.  If I hadn't been there it would have been left by the door.  So yeah, FedEx = UPS when it comes to bad shipment.

Message 33 of 61
Highlighted
Teacher

Here's what scared me.

I was thinking since FEDEX's truck is full of the same size box shipping from the same location, the driver knows the iPhone 4 is inside. They probably was told to expect many deliveries of it on the 23rd and 24th. A driver can just stay in his truck and cut open the tape on the bottom package and take the phone out and then tape the box back up and then deliver it.

Message 34 of 61
Contributor

This is Robin with FedEx . Sorry about your phone, was your issue ever resolved? If you like for me to follow up on it, I'd be happy to.  My email address is (personal content edited for security purposes)

Message 35 of 61
Scholar

Ed has a great point, I'm not sure. Thats why I ordered mine from Apple. They always require the signature. I think even for cheap stuff, like cases or headphones.
Message 36 of 61
Contributor

If it is an IPhone they will only send it to the address thats on your credit card.  I am going through this right now as me and my husband have been married for 2 two years and for some reason he has not changed the address on his credit card from his mothers address to ours yet.  So in order to order my Iphone online when we renewed our contract, I had to go in and change my billing address to hers, and that is where my phone will be sent to.  The have a specific message that says Iphones can only be shipped to address on credit card.

Message 37 of 61
Mentor

Mine was shipped to an alternate address.

Message 38 of 61
Tutor

Personally I don't think there is anything more ANNOYING than having something sent with Signature Required. Especially if it is FEDEX ground where they don't really have customer locations. You have to go into their warehouse to sign for it. 

Message 39 of 61
Scholar

Every Fed-Ex I've been to has a counter area for customer service. That's where yod shop from and get the "hold for pick up" packages. I told my local driver that I don't want any packages dropped when I'm not home, not on the porch, between the doors, in the bushes or in the back if the house. And I said mot to leave without a signature. When you deal with these guys and treat them with respect, they'll bend over backwards to accommodate you.
Seem like all any of you are doing is complain.
Message 40 of 61
Professor

I ordered my iPhone through Premier and it was shipped to an alternate address.  I don't think that FedEx would have left it at my door; I would have had to go and pick it up.  I always have things shipped to my job for this reason.

Message 41 of 61
Guru

or8ital wrote:

Personally I don't think there is anything more ANNOYING than having something sent with Signature Required. Especially if it is FEDEX ground where they don't really have customer locations. You have to go into their warehouse to sign for it. 

Exactly; not that I don't agree with the signature required issue but consider this--many people aren't home (or are unable to take time off from work) during the time when the delivery guy comes around, so it essentially comes down to either the guy leaves it at your door and you have your package waiting for you when you get home...or he leaves a note saying you can either let them try to deliver it again the following day or else swing by their FEDEX or UPS warehouse after 5 pm (or later) to pick it up.  The problem with the latter is that--IIRC--most warehouses close their customer service pickup desks by 6-7 pm so if you can't get there by that time, you'll have to wait until the next day to receive your package...and if you're not able to find a way to be home when the delivery guy arrives...guess what?  Also--for some folks the warehouse may not be close enough for them to drive to after they get off work, so if they're not home to be able to receive the package and they live too far to get to the warehouse to pick it up themselves after hours, then they'll have to figure out another way to get their package.

Message 42 of 61
Master

tonester wrote:

Exactly; not that I don't agree with the signature required issue but consider this--many people aren't home (or are unable to take time off from work) during the time when the delivery guy comes around, so it essentially comes down to either the guy leaves it at your door and you have your package waiting for you when you get home...or he leaves a note saying you can either let them try to deliver it again the following day or else swing by their FEDEX or UPS warehouse after 5 pm (or later) to pick it up.  The problem with the latter is that--IIRC--most warehouses close their customer service pickup desks by 6-7 pm so if you can't get there by that time, you'll have to wait until the next day to receive your package...and if you're not able to find a way to be home when the delivery guy arrives...guess what?  Also--for some folks the warehouse may not be close enough for them to drive to after they get off work, so if they're not home to be able to receive the package and they live too far to get to the warehouse to pick it up themselves after hours, then they'll have to figure out another way to get their package.

Thats a weak argument in my opinion.  There are multiple options for signatures.

If a delivery was attempted that required a signature and you were not home, and you have no way to get to their location, you can SIGN the form they left you on the door and leave it for them authorizing the release of the package.  I know both UPS and FedEx can do this.  Then the next day they can leave it.  That leaves you ultimately responsible the the package that was left out in the open if anything happens to it.

Message 43 of 61
Mentor

So job's took care of the anntena problem, I see all the {word filter evasion} are going after Fedx Now. Are you people ever happy?

People would {word filter evasion} if they had to sign, because they were not home and had to wait till the next day. Some people just cant be pleased.

Message 44 of 61
Professor

No matter what.
Message 45 of 61
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support