Posted Mar 6, 2012
7:56:23 PM
View profile
Disappointed

I am very disappointed with AT&T. We went to our local AT&T store today to upgrade two phones. We picked out two phones, an IPhone 4S and a Samsung Galaxy Note. It turns out only our line with the IPhone 3 was eligible for an upgrade the other phone is not eligible until July.  We were prepared to spend over $600.00 on a two phones and add an additional data package to our plan but we could not upgrade because we have about 4 months before being eligible. We only purchased the IPhone 4S and kept our current data plan. Had our IPhone 3 not been damaged we would have been content to walk out with nothing at that point.

Because I was disappointed with the outcome of our visit today we will definitely not be upgrading my phone in July. We also spoke to the gentleman that helped us about the tablets and IPad. Our daughter graduates in a couple of months and our plan was to purchase her a new IPad, instead I will be buying her a new laptop from Best Buy.

I am very disappointed with AT&T. We went to our local AT&T store today to upgrade two phones. We picked out two phones, an IPhone 4S and a Samsung Galaxy Note. It turns out only our line with the IPhone 3 was eligible for an upgrade the other phone is not eligible until July.  We were prepared to spend over $600.00 on a two phones and add an additional data package to our plan but we could not upgrade because we have about 4 months before being eligible. We only purchased the IPhone 4S and kept our current data plan. Had our IPhone 3 not been damaged we would have been content to walk out with nothing at that point.

Because I was disappointed with the outcome of our visit today we will definitely not be upgrading my phone in July. We also spoke to the gentleman that helped us about the tablets and IPad. Our daughter graduates in a couple of months and our plan was to purchase her a new IPad, instead I will be buying her a new laptop from Best Buy.

Disappointed

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2012 11:16:28 PM
(0)
Employee
You were not eligible. Nothing more to it.
You were not eligible. Nothing more to it.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Disappointed

2 of 6 (312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2012 8:22:43 AM
(0)
Professor

Not all lines on an account become eligible at the same time. This is no fault of the store or AT&T, and I certainly wouldn't consider it a reason to not upgrade the other line in July.

You don't mention why you didn't buy the iPad. Also because of your disappointment in not being able to upgrade both phones?

Not all lines on an account become eligible at the same time. This is no fault of the store or AT&T, and I certainly wouldn't consider it a reason to not upgrade the other line in July.

You don't mention why you didn't buy the iPad. Also because of your disappointment in not being able to upgrade both phones?

3 of 6 (297 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2012 11:44:31 AM
(0)
Mentor

Some of the other companies will allow an early upgrade. AT&T WON"T!!  I just had to do an insurance claim on one of my Captivates (we have 4 lines). The store that sold us 2, wanted $10.00 to transfer the data from old to new phone. They told us if we wanted to not pay the money the store 2 miles away will do it for free....What kind of customer service is that? So maybe i will change companies because after being with them for over 14 years, they need the $10.00 more then me!!!!

Some of the other companies will allow an early upgrade. AT&T WON"T!!  I just had to do an insurance claim on one of my Captivates (we have 4 lines). The store that sold us 2, wanted $10.00 to transfer the data from old to new phone. They told us if we wanted to not pay the money the store 2 miles away will do it for free....What kind of customer service is that? So maybe i will change companies because after being with them for over 14 years, they need the $10.00 more then me!!!!

4 of 6 (287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2012 11:45:49 AM
(0)

I understand that not all the phones are eligible at the same time but companies are in business to make money and usually they look for ways to help satisfy their customers if it means more money for the company.

Were were there to purchase 2 new phones and an IPad. We we already have 2 Iphones that were grandfathered in on the unlimited data plan so we needed to add an additional data package for the Samsung plus the additional costs for the IPad. Adding just the one data plan for 2 years would have exceeded the retail price of the phone which seems to be more of a profit for AT&T.

So yes I am disappointed that AT&T does not have options in place to allow their customer service teams to work with customers on purchases when it brings in more money for the company. And yes that is also why I did not purchase the IPad. Don't get me wrong I am not complaing about the person that helped us at the store. He was very nice and very helpful.

I understand that not all the phones are eligible at the same time but companies are in business to make money and usually they look for ways to help satisfy their customers if it means more money for the company.

Were were there to purchase 2 new phones and an IPad. We we already have 2 Iphones that were grandfathered in on the unlimited data plan so we needed to add an additional data package for the Samsung plus the additional costs for the IPad. Adding just the one data plan for 2 years would have exceeded the retail price of the phone which seems to be more of a profit for AT&T.

So yes I am disappointed that AT&T does not have options in place to allow their customer service teams to work with customers on purchases when it brings in more money for the company. And yes that is also why I did not purchase the IPad. Don't get me wrong I am not complaing about the person that helped us at the store. He was very nice and very helpful.

5 of 6 (285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2012 5:41:09 PM
(0)
Expert

jagb79 wrote:

no tier 1 through tier 3 carrier will work with you like that, you are in for the duration until your upgrade eligiblity date rolls around. Now if you where willing to pay full retail price instead of expecting the discounted price they would work with you or if you where eligible for a early upgrade on the iphone (discounted price + 250.00 surcharge) you would have gotten what you wanted. It may seem like a profit but then the carrier has to eat the balance of your subsidy for the old phone.

jagb79 wrote:

no tier 1 through tier 3 carrier will work with you like that, you are in for the duration until your upgrade eligiblity date rolls around. Now if you where willing to pay full retail price instead of expecting the discounted price they would work with you or if you where eligible for a early upgrade on the iphone (discounted price + 250.00 surcharge) you would have gotten what you wanted. It may seem like a profit but then the carrier has to eat the balance of your subsidy for the old phone.

6 of 6 (270 Views)