Disable 3G only?

Scholar

Disable 3G only?

Anyone find a way to do this yet on the 4s?  With the iPhone 4 you could disable 3G and use Edge only.  Many people get a stronger signal with Edge.  I have put many requests into Apple about this and hopefully they include the toggle switch in a future update.  Just curious if anyone has found a way to get EDGE only on the iPhone 4s.  I don't mean turn off cellular data, I mean to shut 3G off only.  Another benefit in doing this is to save battery life.  

Message 1 of 11 (781 Views)

Re: Disable 3G only?

No, there is no way to currently do this.

Message 2 of 11 (777 Views)
Scholar

Hopefully they put it back soon.  

Message 3 of 11 (771 Views)
Scholar

MJB0188 wrote:

Hopefully they put it back soon.  

There is nothing to put back.  The functionality never existed on the 4S.

The functionality does exist in iOS5 on the 3GS and 4.

Most believe the limitation is due to the hardware in the 4S, specifically the GSM/CDMA combo radio.  CDMA has no functionality to disable 3G.

Message 4 of 11 (749 Views)
Scholar

But since GSM has the ability to disbale 3G why isn't it available?  They could put it in a future udpate only for GSM networks.  

Message 5 of 11 (691 Views)
ACE - Professor

MJB0188 wrote:

But since GSM has the ability to disbale 3G why isn't it available?  They could put it in a future udpate only for GSM networks.  

The hardware they used in the 4s for the GSM radio does NOT support turning off 3G via software. Otherwise you would have that option. You don't have it, because it cannot be done.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 11 (685 Views)
Guru

johninsj wrote:

MJB0188 wrote:

The hardware they used in the 4s for the GSM radio does NOT support turning off 3G via software. Otherwise you would have that option. You don't have it, because it cannot be done.

Wow, you mean such a simple functionality has stumped even the highly-skilled hardware and software engineers at Apple...to the point that, "it cannot be done"? Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 11 (644 Views)
Expert

Maybe because Edge is on the way out? 

I discovered that Siri will NOT work on Edge, only 3G (and we're in a 4G market).  Could be that Edge cannot support other features of 4S?

Message 8 of 11 (626 Views)
Scholar

I liked EDGE.  It got the job done and used A LOT LESS battery life.  

Message 9 of 11 (604 Views)
Contributor

This is a huge problem for me. I live in a small town. We have 3G but I, for many iPhones have had to operate in EDGE mode only in order to recieve and stay on calls. The quality of the voice call is clear on EDGE. I am planning on Moving to the 4S but if I can not dis able 3G I will not be able to use the 4S for Voice calls at all. 

Message 10 of 11 (538 Views)

Except it's not "simple functionality"....it's probably not PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE. The Verizon iPhone 4 lacked the "Disable 3G" functionality, since their 2G & 3G networks are both CDMA-based, meaning that the air interface of cdmaOne is fundamentally the same as CDMA2000 1X, EVDO Release 0 & EVDO Release A. There isn't a clear distinction as with GSM-based phones, which are GSM/EDGE for 2G and UMTS/HSPA for 3G.

tonester wrote:

johninsj wrote:

MJB0188 wrote:

Wow, you mean such a simple functionality has stumped even the highly-skilled hardware and software engineers at Apple...to the point that, "it cannot be done"? Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 11 (456 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.