Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 10, 2012
6:36:47 PM
View profile
Denied a $99 Lumia by ATT

As an original adapter to the Samsung Focus on the first day it was available on the 13th of October 2010 I was eager to help ATT and the OS when the Lumia was introduced on Sunday the 8th of April. Locally, in DC, they sold out very quickly and today I finally ffound one near Dupont Circle. I put my ID on the counter and produced a credit card only to be told that the price would be $596 as I was not up for a contract renewal. As $596 is significantly different than $99 I asked them to pull my att history over the last 15 years and see all of the full contract phones I had purchased and was told that those really did not matter as it was the contract that counted, not the phone, and the contract was renewed with the Focus.

So here I am, wanting to support the OS and the phone company and I cannot get a new phone. 

I guess I am being forced to wait for a "Hero" version from Nokia, come this fall, with Windows 8 and I'll just have to hope that WP survives that long with ATT at its helm.

As an original adapter to the Samsung Focus on the first day it was available on the 13th of October 2010 I was eager to help ATT and the OS when the Lumia was introduced on Sunday the 8th of April. Locally, in DC, they sold out very quickly and today I finally ffound one near Dupont Circle. I put my ID on the counter and produced a credit card only to be told that the price would be $596 as I was not up for a contract renewal. As $596 is significantly different than $99 I asked them to pull my att history over the last 15 years and see all of the full contract phones I had purchased and was told that those really did not matter as it was the contract that counted, not the phone, and the contract was renewed with the Focus.

So here I am, wanting to support the OS and the phone company and I cannot get a new phone. 

I guess I am being forced to wait for a "Hero" version from Nokia, come this fall, with Windows 8 and I'll just have to hope that WP survives that long with ATT at its helm.

Denied a $99 Lumia by ATT

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2012 7:38:57 PM
(0)
Mentor

Let's see, provided that you've had a good payment history (not too many payment suspensions in the past), you can process upgrades 20 months from your last upgrade so if that was in October of 2010, you should be able to do it by now. I would advise calling in to  customer care to make sure.

Let's see, provided that you've had a good payment history (not too many payment suspensions in the past), you can process upgrades 20 months from your last upgrade so if that was in October of 2010, you should be able to do it by now. I would advise calling in to  customer care to make sure.

Re: Denied a $99 Lumia by ATT

2 of 14 (1,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2012 8:41:24 PM
(0)
Professor

applerain wrote:

Paolo is only at 18 months now.

@Paolo, AT&T wouldn't let you get it for $99 and AT&T wouldn't let me get it (initially) for $449.  This would be funny if it weren't so sad.

applerain wrote:

Paolo is only at 18 months now.

@Paolo, AT&T wouldn't let you get it for $99 and AT&T wouldn't let me get it (initially) for $449.  This would be funny if it weren't so sad.

3 of 14 (1,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 1:43:17 AM
(0)
Professor

I guess that what I find funny is that if you are already a WP user, then the Lumia is not available to you for less than full retail. I just thought that ATT would want as many people out there carrying new Lumia's as advertisement of the product, WP and the network. Apparently not. I see this as another sign that the network is really an IPhone centric network.

I guess that what I find funny is that if you are already a WP user, then the Lumia is not available to you for less than full retail. I just thought that ATT would want as many people out there carrying new Lumia's as advertisement of the product, WP and the network. Apparently not. I see this as another sign that the network is really an IPhone centric network.

4 of 14 (1,103 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 3:43:05 AM
(0)
Scholar

Regardless to whether or not you're eligible for an upgrade, I don't understand why you would have to pay $596; the device is only $449 (plus tax) off-contract.

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: I am not affiliated with AT&T]

Regardless to whether or not you're eligible for an upgrade, I don't understand why you would have to pay $596; the device is only $449 (plus tax) off-contract.

5 of 14 (1,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 10:34:12 AM
(0)
Scholar

Same here was Denied even though I am with in the 20 month status and on good payment for many years of being with ATT.  Of course I tired the online chat but the chat rep copied and pasted notes from his computer starting with the Iphone I was like I am not asking for Iphone.

I will have to call and speak to someone.

Same here was Denied even though I am with in the 20 month status and on good payment for many years of being with ATT.  Of course I tired the online chat but the chat rep copied and pasted notes from his computer starting with the Iphone I was like I am not asking for Iphone.

I will have to call and speak to someone.

6 of 14 (1,068 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 6:32:05 PM
(0)
Professor

It is crazy.. They have a phone they have greatly invested in and cannot afford any shade of a dissappointing effort and they are selling themselves short to their own fans. It is crazy. The tried and true need to be out talking about how great their product is. I know how great it is, but I feel that I have a phone that is a generation behind the Lumia. I have bought the latest and greatest since the Razor as my account shows and ATT cannot see what a value added it is to simply waive an arbitrary policy and put their current flagship in my hands to talk to my IPhone toting friends about.

Oh well. Guess I am waiting until October for Nokia's "Hero" model in WP8.

It is crazy.. They have a phone they have greatly invested in and cannot afford any shade of a dissappointing effort and they are selling themselves short to their own fans. It is crazy. The tried and true need to be out talking about how great their product is. I know how great it is, but I feel that I have a phone that is a generation behind the Lumia. I have bought the latest and greatest since the Razor as my account shows and ATT cannot see what a value added it is to simply waive an arbitrary policy and put their current flagship in my hands to talk to my IPhone toting friends about.

Oh well. Guess I am waiting until October for Nokia's "Hero" model in WP8.

7 of 14 (1,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2012 8:40:51 PM
(0)
Tutor
I called the AT&T store in Willowbrook mall in Wayne new jersey and they told me i couldn't purchase the lumia at full price no contract at their store. I wanted to pay full prickle and they said no.
I called the AT&T store in Willowbrook mall in Wayne new jersey and they told me i couldn't purchase the lumia at full price no contract at their store. I wanted to pay full prickle and they said no.

8 of 14 (961 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2012 5:24:13 AM
(0)
Professor

Drsmithnj wrote:

Protest this.  I called customer service after it happened to me and they said that there is no AT&T policy that allows stores to make the decision to not sell a phone to someone at the no-commitment price.  Two people, including that CSR, initially told me that it was at the store manager's discretion.

Drsmithnj wrote:

Protest this.  I called customer service after it happened to me and they said that there is no AT&T policy that allows stores to make the decision to not sell a phone to someone at the no-commitment price.  Two people, including that CSR, initially told me that it was at the store manager's discretion.

9 of 14 (946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2012 6:53:46 PM
(0)
Tutor

I was at the Paramus, NJ store on Route 4 today (4/13). They had no problems selling me the phone off contract for $449.00

I was at the Paramus, NJ store on Route 4 today (4/13). They had no problems selling me the phone off contract for $449.00

10 of 14 (901 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2012 11:45:51 AM
(0)
Professor

I called CS and also dealt with a couple of Managers. ATT CS claimed that I needed to be at least at 18 months. I am at 17. They offered to upgrade me for $229. That still is not great. So in the end I found a manager that thoguht the entire thing was silly and he sold me one for $99 AND did not reset my contract date so that I will have no problems with a fall WP8 upgrade. Finally, he pointed out that if this ever happened to me again, I could upgrade a family member's phone and then just have it switched with my phone.

So there are options, but a total pain. I am surprised that if it is up to the manager, more of them simply just don't want to make the money.

I have my Lumia now, and it upgraded itself with the new Nokia software download yesterday and I have to say, the upgrade from the Focus is absolutely worth it. It is in a totally different class of phones. 

I called CS and also dealt with a couple of Managers. ATT CS claimed that I needed to be at least at 18 months. I am at 17. They offered to upgrade me for $229. That still is not great. So in the end I found a manager that thoguht the entire thing was silly and he sold me one for $99 AND did not reset my contract date so that I will have no problems with a fall WP8 upgrade. Finally, he pointed out that if this ever happened to me again, I could upgrade a family member's phone and then just have it switched with my phone.

So there are options, but a total pain. I am surprised that if it is up to the manager, more of them simply just don't want to make the money.

I have my Lumia now, and it upgraded itself with the new Nokia software download yesterday and I have to say, the upgrade from the Focus is absolutely worth it. It is in a totally different class of phones. 

11 of 14 (829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2012 11:47:51 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by Paolo01 on Apr 14, 2012 at 11:48:22 AM

spicedsp wrote:

$449 is absurd. They should charge you the $100 and be happy that you are advertising their phone. This phone is make it or break it for ATT and Nokia. It is a FANTASTIC phone by the way!!!

spicedsp wrote:

$449 is absurd. They should charge you the $100 and be happy that you are advertising their phone. This phone is make it or break it for ATT and Nokia. It is a FANTASTIC phone by the way!!!

[ Edited ]
12 of 14 (829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2012 6:38:47 PM
(0)
Teacher

Paolo01 wrote:

The problem is not that you haven't proven that you are a long time AT&T customer.  The problem is that you don't understand how upgrade policy works.  Why come here and complain to the community that AT&T did what they would do in every scenario of this type?  Wait until you can upgrade, then get the phone for $99.

Paolo01 wrote:

The problem is not that you haven't proven that you are a long time AT&T customer.  The problem is that you don't understand how upgrade policy works.  Why come here and complain to the community that AT&T did what they would do in every scenario of this type?  Wait until you can upgrade, then get the phone for $99.

13 of 14 (819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2012 9:41:15 PM
(0)
Professor
Did you read the OP's later post, two posts before yours? He played the upgrade game and won. ; )
Did you read the OP's later post, two posts before yours? He played the upgrade game and won. ; )

14 of 14 (814 Views)