Demand control over your IPhone data usage

Demand control over your IPhone data usage

Call ATT and demand that they provide an a means for the account holder to know which programs are using cellular data and further allow us to limit which programs we allow the phone to access cellular data.  This has to be separate from WI-FI usage.

They will tell you that this is a software issue and that you need to contact Apple.  WRONG!

It is true that Apple eventually would have to write some software to allow this to work.  The point is that Apple will never do this unless ATT explicitly asks them to as this will cost ATT revenue since users can then actually have control over what data is used.  ATT has to allow this to happen.

Here is what happened when I called ATT because my daughters IPhone 4 was using about 100MB of data every week even though I know that she almost never used the web browser and was not streaming video or anything like that.

When you call ATT "Customer Service" and ask them how you can know what programs are using up all the data in your data plan, the first thing they will tell you is you can upgrade your data plan.

They will also tell you there is NO WAY to know what programs are actually accessing the internet using this data. 

Continuing their "Uncustomer Service" I pressed them that they really needed to help me figure out why my daughters new phone was using over 200MB in just two weeks.

I said I either needed a way to manage the data or turn it off.  I was again told NO WAY TO DO THIS.

I kept pressing him that I need help and that the other answers were not helping.

Finally I started to break through their script.

First he tried to tell me that the application would warn me if it access the internet.  WRONG.

The next suggestions were to read the terms and conditions of each application to see if it accesses data.  SORRY, NOT GOING THERE.

After about 45 minutes on the phone he finally told me about how to turn off data usage on the IPhone OS4.  Basically if you turn off WI-FI and Cellular Data then try and launch all your applications.  If they error then you know you are trying to access the internet.  See my post about how to know what programs are using all that data for details on how to do this.

Everyone needs to speak up and complain to ATT about this.  Only then will we have a chance to get this under OUR control.

Message 1 of 41
Contributor

Re: Demand control over your IPhone data usage

So true! Good post.

Message 16 of 41
ACE - Professor

JFizDaWiz wrote:

data is data. you want to know which apps use data, that's how.

Notice how the OP hasn't come back with his list of free games he suspects is using data? Me too.

Anyone have any free games from the app store they suspect is using data? Let me know - I'll check them out and let you know what I find.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 41
Professor

It also may be that these apps are constantly getting updated, and the daughter downloads the updates when she is away from Wi-fi. 

Message 18 of 41

Notice how the OP hasn't come back with his list of free games he suspects is using data? Me too.

Anyone have any free games from the app store they suspect is using data? Let me know - I'll check them out and let you know what I find.

Sorry I hadn't checked the forum since last week.

Here is the list of Apps that I found connect to data on her phone.

Safari

App Store

Maps

Weather

Itunes

YouTube (Yes I know but she wasn't using it)

Mail

Stocks

Game Center

Google Earth

Chipotte

Backgrounds

Fandango

Twitter

Dictionary

Message 19 of 41
Professor

Uncustomer_Service wrote:

Safari

App Store

Maps

Weather

Itunes

Mail

Stocks

Game Center

Google Earth

Chipotte

Backgrounds

Fandango

Twitter

Dictionary

Well, with the exception of "chipotte" (only because I don't know what it is), my response is DUH! Of course they connect to data.

Your initial complaint was that game were using data, you only listed one game, Game Center, which isn't really a game.  Is Chipotte a game as well?

If your daughter is using the other apps you listed and trying that "I didn't realize they used data" garbage, then you need to sit her down and have a little chat about responsibility for one's actions.

Do you have any actual games that you feel are at fault for the data use that was supposedly incurred on your account?

Message 20 of 41
ACE - Professor

Uncustomer_Service wrote:

Safari

App Store

Maps

Weather

Itunes

Mail

Stocks

Game Center

Google Earth

Chipotte

Backgrounds

Fandango

Twitter

Dictionary

I don't see any games in that list at all - Chipotte I assume is Chipotle (for ordering from same)

So, in hindsight, it was your daughter using many obvious internet access apps that caused her to use data, and not "free games" as you initially thought?

(and of that list, google earth is a MASSIVE data user. She might as well be on youtoube)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 41
Tutor

Smartphones are computers that make calls?  Do you give your ISP provider such grief?  I have to wonder why you didn't get her a phone that just made and received calls?  I don't pay for DSL, the $25 2gig plan is much cheaper.  I have to say that I don't think a huge corporation depends on your overage.  Do you call your car manufacturer and the loan company that holds your car note to stop you from using gas too?  Really?

(Mode Note: Content edited per the Guidelines. Please make sure to keep all posts courteous.)

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 22 of 41
Contributor

with smae apps Re: Demand control over your IPhone data usage

We have (2) iphone 3GS with same apps on both phone.  One phone occasionally incures at 50 -82 Mb data usage brtween 11:00 PM and midnight when we are asleep.  ATT says they can't help---- Apple says to turn phone off at night.  We need the phone on for emergencies.  Any suggestions????  It would be nice if either company wold/could tell us which app is using the data.

Message 23 of 41
Professor

Just turn off the cellular data at night. The phone part will still work.
Message 24 of 41

The context of the original post, and my quick scan of the various responses make me want to ask a few questions:

1.  Where does the OP's daughter use her phone most?  At home, or away from home?

2.  Does the OP have an active Wifi network at home?

3.  Has the OP validated the daughter's phone is indeed connecting to the home Wifi (if there is one)?

4.  Is the daughter aware of how to check to see that the phone is actually connecting to local Wifi?

Turn cellular data off on the phone and operate only on Wifi and see if network usage still accumulates.

On a semi-related aside:

I was just at an Apple store where a guy had been screaming at the 'genius' that his iPhone 4 had cellular data turned off, turned off in the customer was so extremely angry that 2 months ago he'd supposedly pulled his phone's micro SIM out to prevent anything but Wifi usage, and even after the 2nd month he somehow was receiving notification from AT&T that he was about to exceed his monthly alottment.

I didn't stick around for the conclusion, but to me that sounded like a definite AT&T billing error, like a confusion in AT&T's IMEI database or something...

Message 25 of 41
ACE - Professor

DimentoGraven wrote:

On a semi-related aside:

I was just at an Apple store where a guy had been screaming at the 'genius' that his iPhone 4 had cellular data turned off, turned off in the customer was so extremely angry that 2 months ago he'd supposedly pulled his phone's micro SIM out to prevent anything but Wifi usage, and even after the 2nd month he somehow was receiving notification from AT&T that he was about to exceed his monthly alottment.

I didn't stick around for the conclusion, but to me that sounded like a definite AT&T billing error, like a confusion in AT&T's IMEI database or something...

I think the key word there is "supposedly". I have heard many a tall tail screamed at the genius bar Smiley Happy But still, sounds like he should have been screaming at some AT&T employee.

Message 26 of 41
Professor

Re: with smae apps Re: Demand control over your IPhone data usage

rgbconfused wrote:

We have (2) iphone 3GS with same apps on both phone.  One phone occasionally incures at 50 -82 Mb data usage brtween 11:00 PM and midnight when we are asleep.  ATT says they can't help---- Apple says to turn phone off at night.  We need the phone on for emergencies.  Any suggestions????  It would be nice if either company wold/could tell us which app is using the data.

Please read the various threads regarding the data usage issues in this forum.

Basically, it boils down to this.

Your iPhone is NOT mysteriously using data at night.  AT&T's billing system batches up the data usage from the previous day and "bills" it to your account during the night.  You can turn off your phone or turn of cellular data, this will have NO affect.

Something on your device is using data... either turn off Celluar Data permanently or figure out what app is using data.

Message 27 of 41
Contributor

I find the rude responses to the original post on here to be rather defensive. Most likely they come from AT&T employees or other apologists. Perhaps there's a reason for their defensiveness?

Since I am having a similar problem to the original poster, I am going to ask all those super-smart folk who replied to the original post to explain to me why, after 3.5 years of using my original Iphone and never once going over 200mb a month of data usage, did I suddenly manage to use 200mb in 7 days, even though I have the exact same apps installed on my new phone. Mind you, I actually used my phone less in those 7 days than I normally do any other 7 days in a month, not more.And please, don't say I was using video or streaming music or other things, since I wasn't. I registered several one-time usages of over 25mb even though I did nothing but check email and facebook. (check, not upload to)

Now perhaps there are people who like to give away their money, but I am not one of them. If I was such a high data-user, then that would have been reflected in my bills for the past 3 years. It seems illogical to me, and really, highly suspicious, that only after I switched to a 200mb plan that suddenly my data usage spiked five or even fifteen fold.

It's actually quite clear what users should expect from their plans. 200 MB = 1000 emails+ 400 web page views+ 50 facebook uploads, etc. This is from the AT&T website. In 7 days, I viewed all of 3 websites and downloaded about 60 emails. For those of you who claim that games are eating up data, then why did they not eat up data before I switched? I have the same exact games.

And for the geniuses who claim 100mb of data is no big deal, then why does AT&T claim that 65% of its users use less than 200mb/month? I'd say 100mb is actually a very big deal to the vast majority of users.

Bottom line, the way my data is being calculated has changed. Perhaps my phone is just defective, or perhaps it's not, and perhaps there's something fishy with the way AT&T is counting data. And I think it's likely that AT&T knows something's wrong, considering the "incentives" I've been given to stay with them once I argued my case. I won't go into details, but I am curious to see if there are others who are as suspicious as I am about this. Imagine if only 10% of Iphone users were on these defective data plans. That would be an enormous amount of fraudulent overcharging.

Message 28 of 41
ACE - Professor

I find that the root cause of unintended data use by a very small percentage of iPhone owners is, in nearly every case, a matter of the user not understanding how, or when, data is used.

In this specific case, when we spent significant effort to diagnose the data use, it was identified not as at&t overcharges or usage from unexpected apps, as originally assumed by the poster, as you can see in post #20.

There are a tiny number of cases where, based on self reporting by people who register here and post one time, unexplained usage is claimed and we never get to the bottom of it.

And yes, 100MB of data, on a device that streams video, is trivial to consume.

As for your usage, I cannot begin to guess what happened, without a detailed audit. Perhaps you updated your apps via 3g. Perhaps a large email message came in. Maybe you have data crash reporting enabled.

If I were you, I'd examine what changed in the past 3.5 years (and oddly enough, you only had a data meter for the past 7 months, so it's a little suspect that you knew your usage prior to that, when it was unlimited.)

In short, there is no way to validate the claims, and there is no widespread incident of overcharging, so these handful of reports are usually met with a hefty dose of skepticism.

Message 29 of 41

johninsj wrote:

I think the key word there is "supposedly". I have heard many a tall tail screamed at the genius bar Smiley Happy But still, sounds like he should have been screaming at some AT&T employee.

I agree he should have been talking to AT&T, though would you rather talk to some random support person over the phone or show up at a place where you can find a 'genius'?

I know it is very possible for AT&T to make billing errors.  Their internal processes are VERY FAR from perfect and it's not impossible to assign someone else's IMEI number to another person's account and suddenly bizarre billing starts showing up.

I don't believe that diagnostics should start out with an assumption of customer error.  From my own perspective I always try and keep a very open mind, that "something" has happened we know not what, yet.

For example the guy screaming in the genius bar I was at, let's assume for the moment that he was actually 'screaming' the truth and he did have his SIM card out for the last 60 days.  If true what does that tell us about his problem? 

Well since the SIM card was out the last 60 days, any data being billed for the CURRENT billing period would be some sort of mistake since you can access the network without a SIM card installed on your AT&T phone.  So how would he be able to generate data usage on his account?

I wish I would have asked him about how he was 'notified' about his impending data overage.  Typically those come via text message do they not?  Is it possible he received an email too, or was he 'notified' when he logged into his account on his home PC?  That's the only niggling little detail that makes me suspect the customer may have been exaggerating his troubleshooting practice of NO SIM.

Message 30 of 41
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support