Dell XPS M1530 and AT&T

Highlighted
Contributor

Dell XPS M1530 and AT&T

I live in a very rural area, but the coverage map said I could get AT&T, so I am scrapping my old Gateway computer and low speed dialup for the new Dell... What a disaster.  I ordered it online and the tech said I would have to go to AT&T to have a chip put in.  I went yesterday and they installed a sims chip in the battery compartment.  Got home.. nothing... Called Dell and was chastised for having AT&T put in the chip when it should have been put in at the factory.  I told her the tech said I couldn't and she said that was a lie.  Called AT&T support and they said the salesman gave me information for a phone, not a PC... Called the store back, got that fixed, but still nothing.  Then the salesman said I should have had a CD from Dell for installation.  No CD.  He said I'd have to come back to the store for a CD.  On Dell's website, and after chatting with their tech help, they didn't mention the sims card but said I'd need to put a broadband card in the express slot.  When I got the computer, they send me an express card remote for that slot.  I still have no internet on the Dell.  Each company is going back and forth about what I can do.  I spent almost $1200 on this custom made thing, and my friend went to Walmart and got one for $650, went to AT&T and got the card which goes in the express slot, and she is happy as a clam.  In the meantime, my dialup speed suddenly went from 19 kpbs to 38, and now I am reading that I may only have 38 with the laptop because of where I live.  However, I take care of my grandchildren in a place that has all bars bright orange, so I can get on there... BUT STILL I HAVE NO ACCESS.... Anyone out there have one of these new Dells?  When I went to the AT&T store, all the salesmen were passing it around and oohing and ahing, saying it was the first one they'd seen.  I thought they've been out since November.  Did I get rooked again?  Should I send everything back and keep my gateway on dialup?  I am getting frustrated.  Or should I get hughesnet and a modem?
Message 1 of 1
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support