Dell Streak

Contributor

Dell Streak

Anybody here know the status of the launch?  And when it will happen?

Message 1 of 45 (5,280 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Dell Streak

UHmump95 wrote:

This article nails what's wrong with the streak.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/dell-streak-review-sizzle-or-fizzle/38210

Interesting read, only one is a true killer - Android 1.6 the other two reported statements are opinions of the author

Message 31 of 45 (2,157 Views)
Scholar

I will give you the performance issues because I know from reading Captivate reviews performance is in the eye of the beholder.

The price issue is another matter altogether.  What does the Streak offer that you do not get on the HTC EVO?   How much extra screen real estate does that .7 inches give you?

Message 32 of 45 (2,140 Views)
Expert

UHmump95 wrote:

I will give you the performance issues because I know from reading Captivate reviews performance is in the eye of the beholder.

The price issue is another matter altogether.  What does the Streak offer that you do not get on the HTC EVO?   How much extra screen real estate does that .7 inches give you?

Streak give a 10.00 less a month bill since the EVO has a mandatory 10.00 surcharge on it from Sprint

Message 33 of 45 (2,110 Views)
Scholar

True, but that is also a benefit as you will have access to their 4g network.  Seems as though that is a push to me.

Message 34 of 45 (2,083 Views)
Expert

UHmump95 wrote:

True, but that is also a benefit as you will have access to their 4g network.  Seems as though that is a push to me.

sprint coverage is the pits in my home area, 10.00 surchage a month is a joke for the phone

Message 35 of 45 (2,076 Views)
Scholar

The first two points should be null and void soon (though with Dell's track record thus far, who knows). The third reason is likely due to ATT's contractual decisions, at least based upon Dell's first statements regarding price.

I find it odd how this article, and a few others, seem to state "This is my primary question with the Streak. Who would use it? I’ve struggled to find any really good use cases". It's as though the dual use idea is a flawed one. I wanted a larger screen that would make web sites easier to read, not to mention pdf docs. I can't bother with my Tilt2, it's beyond annoying to scroll constantly. 

The reviewer never did state much on how easy it is to view web pages, etc. In fact his main positives for the screen focused almost entirely on the virtual keyboard.

Failed article, and sadly, one of a number I've seen that fail to give a complete picture. Dell failed big time by releasing it with 1.6, than sank with their completely flawed release (and yes, I will repeat, ATT has failed here as well).......

Message 36 of 45 (2,056 Views)
Scholar

Well I know I would use it.  Personally I do not see the Dell Streak as a tablet.  I see it as a phone with a big screen.  I know putting it up your face like a phone looks a bit comical, but the fact is it is just a big phone.

I guess my big question is why is the Streak considered a tablet and the Droid X and the Evo are just phones?  Is it because HTC and Motorola wasn't interested in marketing their devices that way?

Message 37 of 45 (2,032 Views)
Mentor

I have it, i use it, its not bad, love the 5 inch screen.

Message 38 of 45 (1,998 Views)
Scholar

UHmump95 wrote:

Well I know I would use it.  Personally I do not see the Dell Streak as a tablet.  I see it as a phone with a big screen.  I know putting it up your face like a phone looks a bit comical, but the fact is it is just a big phone.

I guess my big question is why is the Streak considered a tablet and the Droid X and the Evo are just phones?  Is it because HTC and Motorola wasn't interested in marketing their devices that way?

I'm sure marketing it as a tablet first allows them to charge more. It also places quite a bit less emphasis on the phone functionality. It also takes advantage of the burgeoning hype over tablets......but in the end, it's a big phone with a very nice display......

Message 39 of 45 (1,915 Views)
Contributor

Actually, after inquiring to Dell about the Streak they state its a tablet, with phone capabilities. They in no way market it as a cell or smartphone first. They just state it works as a phone as well.

I use a UK HTC Hero here in the US. Sure I dont get 3G b/c of the band, but it has wireless. Who cares about 3G if im on wireless? And honestly I can do a speedtest between 2G(edge) and my previous ATT cell with 3G and it is NOT that big of a difference. Any person worth their salt will say its going to depend on net traffic, white noise, site activity, weather, (etc. etc) to judge how fast the data up and downloads. So as far as the cell capability...locked or unlocked its a tablet that can fit in your pocket. Pair with a Bluetooth headset; your not holding it up to your head! It is the new age people. If your holding your cell to your head, get a peice of string and a tin can. Dont like it in your ear? Well keep on driving while talking on your cell and run off the road or lose your focus and get hit. Bluetooth saves lives.

Im very interested in the Streak for the US and would love to hear from a ATT rep when are they going to even talk about it since its locked to their US bands. Regardless if its not in their stores, if its US ATT only, ATT has to support devices built for their cellular network.

Message 40 of 45 (1,836 Views)
Contributor

I had the luxury of living within 1 hour of the Dell headquarters so when I was in the neighborhood I stopped by for a tent demo of the Streak in their parking lot.  I was HUGELY impressed.  I am a 5'4 female and had on jeans and not only did the Streak fit in my front pocket with ease, it was quite comfortable. It was much thinner than I expected.  The screen clarity was fantastic, sound quality great, etc...  I couldn't find anything I didn't like about it.  They will have the android upgrade by Christmas, so what's the fuss... that's not long.  I consider it a phone with a larger screen that I can work on, do business, send emails etc... I remember when phones were much larger than this so who's to say it's comicaly large - they must not have held it yet.  Dell finally did a good job. Their notebooks have be lacking but their other products have a better reputation.  Clarify. Streak is easily a highly competitive product. Fair price.  I'm going to get rid of my small iPhone and get a Streak this month.    My .02cents.

Message 41 of 45 (1,484 Views)
Guru

Got mine last week (Oct 14)

Had mine just over a week.  Absolutely LOVE IT!

Fits in my shirt pocket or pants pocket with room to spare.

THIN as can be makes up for the huge display.  Clear & bright even

in outdoors.

Mine still has the droid 1.6 on it.  Since Dell/AT&T are due to release

2.2 "around" the end of November, I'm not going to bother rooting it.

Bought mine direct from Dell, off contract, full price.

FYI, also did some digging around....when my contract expires, if I want to

switch to Verizon...the Streak already has the CDMA radio in it, just unlock

it and I guess you can figure out how to use it, you might be able to use

it on the Verizon network.

Message 42 of 45 (1,445 Views)
Contributor

So does this phone use a SIM card?

Message 43 of 45 (1,299 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Yes, the Dell Streak does use a SIM card. It currently only comes subsidized by AT&T for the lower price, but it is offered unlocked as well for the full price. The unlocked version is now shipping with Android 2.2 on board with Wifi Mobile Hotspot enabled. The AT&T version is still on 1.6 for now with no mobile hotspot capability built in. It is supposed to be getting 2.2 before the year's end... we'll see.

I know CDMA carriers are supposed to be offering these starting sometime soon, but I don't know about activating the radio inside the AT&T version to be able to used off of GSM. I'm sure it's possible somehow with software and the right knowledge. Dell, though, isn't advertising that even their unlocked version can be used with other carriers yet.

Message 44 of 45 (1,231 Views)
Professor

I just got the Dell Streak on 3/8/2011.   Excellent phone/tab!!!! I am hooked.

Message 45 of 45 (627 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.