Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 28, 2010
11:56:52 AM
View profile
Dell Streak

Anybody here know the status of the launch?  And when it will happen?

Anybody here know the status of the launch?  And when it will happen?

Dell Streak

44 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(44)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

Re: Dell Streak

2 of 45 (4,525 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2010 2:43:46 PM
(0)
Mentor

Goes on sale Thursday 8/12/10 directly through Dell

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20013234-1.html

Goes on sale Thursday 8/12/10 directly through Dell

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20013234-1.html

3 of 45 (4,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2010 4:22:49 PM
(0)
Scholar

Too bad it is overpriced.  I will wait to see if the price drops and how soon it upgrades to Android 2.1 or 2.2.

Too bad it is overpriced.  I will wait to see if the price drops and how soon it upgrades to Android 2.1 or 2.2.

4 of 45 (4,322 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2010 5:38:48 PM
(0)
Mentor

I'm with ya there, especially with some of the ratings give it dropped calls and prro performance with the 1.6

I'm with ya there, especially with some of the ratings give it dropped calls and prro performance with the 1.6

5 of 45 (4,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2010 7:39:58 PM
(0)
Mentor

I want a red one with 2.2. I am on the pre-order email list - but I'm just going to enjoy my iPhone 4 until the Streak meets my wants! They just took too long to release the thing. If it had come out a month earlier I would have been all over it.

I want a red one with 2.2. I am on the pre-order email list - but I'm just going to enjoy my iPhone 4 until the Streak meets my wants! They just took too long to release the thing. If it had come out a month earlier I would have been all over it.

6 of 45 (4,289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2010 8:54:19 AM
(0)
Mentor

Lol "yes" 1.6 even sounds un-attractive especially with the Samsung Galaxy Tablet possibly coming next month with a 7 inch screen and phone capable.

Lol "yes" 1.6 even sounds un-attractive especially with the Samsung Galaxy Tablet possibly coming next month with a 7 inch screen and phone capable.

7 of 45 (4,235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

8 of 45 (4,231 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2010 1:13:55 PM
(0)
Scholar

Dell may get the award for fail of the year on this one.  I have not seen one review that paints the Streak in a positive light

The complaints are all the same:

Price - It costs too much with and without a contract.

Android 1.6 - The OS is over a year old.  Should be running on something newer.

AT&T - People at least think that it should also be running on T-Mobile.

Also it appears that this phone won't be in any AT&T stores.  This is the type of device you need to hold in your hands before you buy.

Dell may get the award for fail of the year on this one.  I have not seen one review that paints the Streak in a positive light

The complaints are all the same:

Price - It costs too much with and without a contract.

Android 1.6 - The OS is over a year old.  Should be running on something newer.

AT&T - People at least think that it should also be running on T-Mobile.

Also it appears that this phone won't be in any AT&T stores.  This is the type of device you need to hold in your hands before you buy.

9 of 45 (4,193 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2010 2:54:41 PM
(0)
Mentor

You summed that up in a nutshell..

I'm seeing a pattern in these releases lately. I'm pretty sure that the release was delayed to ensure the everyone who got the captivate was past 30 days so if they want this over priced outdated phone/tablet they would have to shell out $550

You summed that up in a nutshell..

I'm seeing a pattern in these releases lately. I'm pretty sure that the release was delayed to ensure the everyone who got the captivate was past 30 days so if they want this over priced outdated phone/tablet they would have to shell out $550

10 of 45 (4,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2010 7:03:42 PM
(0)
Mentor

Yeah, I was considering the Streak, but the price is way too high, not sure if/when it will upgrade. I've also read a review and other mentions about speaker/phone quality. And yeah, if I can't try something this big & expensive before I buy, then no way!

Yeah, I was considering the Streak, but the price is way too high, not sure if/when it will upgrade. I've also read a review and other mentions about speaker/phone quality. And yeah, if I can't try something this big & expensive before I buy, then no way!

11 of 45 (2,131 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2010 8:52:32 AM
(0)
Scholar

Wont be coming to ATT anyways....so much for all the excitement. Though it does make me wonder. They sell it ONLY locked and for ATT (the T-mobile version Dell had promised seems to have vanished or was cancelled), yet refuse to sell it in stores or directly. It's as though they want it to fail......

Wont be coming to ATT anyways....so much for all the excitement. Though it does make me wonder. They sell it ONLY locked and for ATT (the T-mobile version Dell had promised seems to have vanished or was cancelled), yet refuse to sell it in stores or directly. It's as though they want it to fail......

12 of 45 (2,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2010 9:18:15 AM
(0)
Scholar

You would think they would have learned not to direct sell based on what happened with the Nexus One.

You would think they would have learned not to direct sell based on what happened with the Nexus One.

13 of 45 (2,074 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2010 10:31:31 AM
(0)
Scholar
I think I'll wait and see what happens with the Dell Thunder.
I think I'll wait and see what happens with the Dell Thunder.

14 of 45 (2,065 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2010 10:53:57 AM
(0)
Mentor
The Thunder looks promising, based on what little is "known". Even so, good question as to whether it will come to ATT and if so, soon enough to matter based on current phones at the time.
The Thunder looks promising, based on what little is "known". Even so, good question as to whether it will come to ATT and if so, soon enough to matter based on current phones at the time.

15 of 45 (2,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2010 8:32:24 AM
(0)
Mentor

What happened? I thought it was going on sale today subsidized at $299 at AT&T?

What happened? I thought it was going on sale today subsidized at $299 at AT&T?

16 of 45 (1,987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2010 9:42:02 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Pcaddy73 on Aug 13, 2010 at 9:54:52 AM

[ Edited ]
17 of 45 (1,978 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2010 7:13:23 PM
(0)
Master

Why do you keep saying this?  You can go on Dell's website and see that it costs $549 contract-free, or $299 with a 2-year AT&T contract.  

diagoro wrote:

Why do you keep saying this?  You can go on Dell's website and see that it costs $549 contract-free, or $299 with a 2-year AT&T contract.  

diagoro wrote:

18 of 45 (1,891 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2010 8:29:57 PM
(0)
Scholar

Is it listed for sale on the ATT website (search the term 'streak' on the website and see what happens)? Try calling them, or going to a store and ordering one. In fact, try finding a rep at a store who even knows what it is at this point!

I say that because, in order to get one, you have to purchase it directly from Dell. This, none of the savings/deals, etc that you might have had from ATT will apply. That's where my personal rub with this situation comes in..........overall, just a bitter rant, so perhaps I should apologize for my emotional perspective.....

diagoro wrote:

Is it listed for sale on the ATT website (search the term 'streak' on the website and see what happens)? Try calling them, or going to a store and ordering one. In fact, try finding a rep at a store who even knows what it is at this point!

I say that because, in order to get one, you have to purchase it directly from Dell. This, none of the savings/deals, etc that you might have had from ATT will apply. That's where my personal rub with this situation comes in..........overall, just a bitter rant, so perhaps I should apologize for my emotional perspective.....

diagoro wrote:

19 of 45 (1,819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2010 5:04:11 AM
(0)
Expert

diagoro wrote:

diagoro wrote:

Just becasue you cannot find it on ATT's website has no bearing on if it is offered by ATT, if the phone can be obtained with a 2 year contract at a subsidized rate from ATT they are carrying it and supporting it.

diagoro wrote:

diagoro wrote:

Just becasue you cannot find it on ATT's website has no bearing on if it is offered by ATT, if the phone can be obtained with a 2 year contract at a subsidized rate from ATT they are carrying it and supporting it.

20 of 45 (1,798 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2010 8:54:25 AM
(0)
Scholar

But they don't sell it, that's the problem, at least in my case. I have an upper level manager looking into this. He said there is nothing he can do from the ATT side, much like it would be with Apple (because of the contract and warranty issue). 

But they don't sell it, that's the problem, at least in my case. I have an upper level manager looking into this. He said there is nothing he can do from the ATT side, much like it would be with Apple (because of the contract and warranty issue). 

21 of 45 (1,631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2010 7:47:20 PM
(0)
Master

Why is it so difficult to buy it directly from Dell?  There's something missing from this story here.

Why is it so difficult to buy it directly from Dell?  There's something missing from this story here.

22 of 45 (1,540 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2010 9:07:11 PM
(0)
Scholar

for the most part people like to see something in hand before they buy it.  most people will buy over the internet because it is easier and cheaper, however they will usually stop by a store and look at it first before buying it.

for the most part people like to see something in hand before they buy it.  most people will buy over the internet because it is easier and cheaper, however they will usually stop by a store and look at it first before buying it.

23 of 45 (1,529 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2010 3:10:50 AM
(0)
Expert

mystery45 wrote:

send that as feedback to dell, since it was proably their decision to do it that way. Dell does not like to let anyone else sell their product

mystery45 wrote:

send that as feedback to dell, since it was proably their decision to do it that way. Dell does not like to let anyone else sell their product

24 of 45 (1,511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2010 5:55:02 AM
(0)
Scholar

mystery45 wrote:

Ding! Ding! Ding!

This phone has gotten so much flack about its size and performance issues, that they need to at least put them in stores for us to be able to hold and navigate around before purchase.

mystery45 wrote:

Ding! Ding! Ding!

This phone has gotten so much flack about its size and performance issues, that they need to at least put them in stores for us to be able to hold and navigate around before purchase.

25 of 45 (1,499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2010 11:42:47 AM
(0)
Scholar

Most of the flak has been for shipping with 1.6. A few have remarked on the size, but that's more of a personal preference and shouldn't be considered a fair criticism. Unless of course, you're speaking of Steve Jobs statement that no one would want a phone larger than the current iphone. He speaks and suddenly the iphanboys take this is the word of god. Sad really.

I will grant you that a few reviews have noted poor call quality, but that's been the case for most of my smartphones, all the way back to the Samsung i650. Those who have 2.1 on the Streak have stated it's much faster and solid. Other than a few minor issues (personally disipointed in camera/video quality and ATT's insistance of locking from outside apps), what else is there?????

Most of the flak has been for shipping with 1.6. A few have remarked on the size, but that's more of a personal preference and shouldn't be considered a fair criticism. Unless of course, you're speaking of Steve Jobs statement that no one would want a phone larger than the current iphone. He speaks and suddenly the iphanboys take this is the word of god. Sad really.

I will grant you that a few reviews have noted poor call quality, but that's been the case for most of my smartphones, all the way back to the Samsung i650. Those who have 2.1 on the Streak have stated it's much faster and solid. Other than a few minor issues (personally disipointed in camera/video quality and ATT's insistance of locking from outside apps), what else is there?????

26 of 45 (1,479 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2010 12:21:28 PM
(0)
Scholar

I thought the Dell Streak was supposed to allow non market apps.  Do you have a Streak and confirm third party apps are locked?

I thought the Dell Streak was supposed to allow non market apps.  Do you have a Streak and confirm third party apps are locked?

27 of 45 (1,463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2010 9:25:25 PM
(0)
Scholar

UHmump95 wrote:

It might since att never touched it.  then again i am not sure.

my thing is

1.  it is a dell.  they are really bad about shipping out quality items.  i hate dell computers and will never own one.

2.  there is nothing wrong with a 5 inch display.  i personally think it is to bulky.  i think 4" is like the sweet spot but that is just a personal preference.  i don't want a phone that is bigger than my face.

I agree wing.  dell is very protective of their stuff more so than apple in a way.

i see they just released the aero but i think it is going to run into the same problem.  people in general want to touch, look and feel before they buy. 

truth be told your eye sight is probably one of your most deceptive sense's to go by.

UHmump95 wrote:

It might since att never touched it.  then again i am not sure.

my thing is

1.  it is a dell.  they are really bad about shipping out quality items.  i hate dell computers and will never own one.

2.  there is nothing wrong with a 5 inch display.  i personally think it is to bulky.  i think 4" is like the sweet spot but that is just a personal preference.  i don't want a phone that is bigger than my face.

I agree wing.  dell is very protective of their stuff more so than apple in a way.

i see they just released the aero but i think it is going to run into the same problem.  people in general want to touch, look and feel before they buy. 

truth be told your eye sight is probably one of your most deceptive sense's to go by.

28 of 45 (1,404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2010 3:19:40 PM
(0)
Scholar

UHmump95 wrote:

Check the link below for info on the lock.....
http://www.streaksmart.com/2010/08/yes-att-prevents-sideloading-on-the-dell-streak.html

UHmump95 wrote:

Check the link below for info on the lock.....
http://www.streaksmart.com/2010/08/yes-att-prevents-sideloading-on-the-dell-streak.html

29 of 45 (1,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2010 8:31:21 AM
(0)
Scholar

This article nails what's wrong with the streak.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/dell-streak-review-sizzle-or-fizzle/38210

This article nails what's wrong with the streak.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/dell-streak-review-sizzle-or-fizzle/38210

30 of 45 (1,304 Views)