Dell Latitude D820 gets a blue screen with a Sierra Wireless 875 AirCard

Tutor

Dell Latitude D820 gets a blue screen with a Sierra Wireless 875 AirCard

I have a new Dell Latitude D820 laptop. I've installed at&t communication manager and I'm using a Sierra Wireless 875 AirCard. I can pick up a signal and connect. It shows that bytes are being sent & received. However, when I click on Internet Explorer, it opens and the status bar at the bottom of the window says that the page was found, but I get a blue screen before the page ever loads. It contains the Stop error 0x000000F4. I've ran all Windows Updates. I've updated the BIOS. I've tried Internet Explorer 6 and 7. I've tried using 3G Watcher software before I installed the at&t software with the same results (I uninstalled 3G Watcher before I installed the at&t software). It seems like there is a problem between the software and Internet Explorer, but I can't figure out what it is. I have tried this card on an older Dell Latitude with the 3G Watcher software and I was able to connect without any problems. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Message 1 of 18 (9,263 Views)
Teacher

Re: Dell Latitude D820 gets a blue screen with a Sierra Wireless 875 AirCard

You might want to try Seamonkey. That is what I use in M$ XP with my 875 AirCard. I haven't had any problems.
Message 2 of 18 (9,259 Views)
Tutor

Which program is the better program to use with the 875 AirCard? at&t communication manager or 3G watcher?
Message 3 of 18 (9,228 Views)
Guru

My vote would have to go for 3G Watcher.
Message 4 of 18 (9,211 Views)
Scholar

rcollura wrote:
Which program is the better program to use with the 875 AirCard? at&t communication manager or 3G watcher?

I have a Dell latitude notebook, I get blue screens if connection manager is installed on my computer. I don't even have to use it. Get rid of it with add/remove programs and just use the watcher program. CCM and dell's do not get along.
Message 5 of 18 (9,156 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for the info. I did get rid of communication manager via add/remove programs. I've been trying to use 3G Watcher as well and I still get the blue screen. I think it has something to do with the operating system. Maybe there is a hotfix for the issue I"m having? I've disabled the Dell wireless internal aircard thinking that it was interfering with the Sierra aircard but it still didn't help. I've tried everything I can think of and it's very frustrating!
Message 6 of 18 (9,145 Views)
Scholar

rcollura wrote:
Thanks for the info. I did get rid of communication manager via add/remove programs. I've been trying to use 3G Watcher as well and I still get the blue screen. I think it has something to do with the operating system. Maybe there is a hotfix for the issue I"m having? I've disabled the Dell wireless internal aircard thinking that it was interfering with the Sierra aircard but it still didn't help. I've tried everything I can think of and it's very frustrating!

try using no connection manager at all, just plain old dial up networking. if there is still a problem, then it's a driver issue.

Message 7 of 18 (9,041 Views)
Tutor

I uninstalled all of the other software for the aircard and I tried dial-up networking. I still didn't work. I made a connection and I was able to load about 1/2 of mapquest and then I received the blue screen with stop error. I think we're going to try a different aircard and see if we have any luck.
Message 8 of 18 (8,967 Views)
Contributor

Disable Smart Card Reader in Device Manager.    Word
Message 9 of 18 (8,899 Views)
Contributor

I have the same problem. I disabled the smart card reader. It did NOT help.  I uninstalled the CCM. It did NOT help.  I have gone 'round and 'round with this issue and have just about given up.   HOWEVER - this is weird - when in "3G" mode it has worked fine..... but when in "2G" mode it blue screens.  HOW DO I FIX THIS?????  A friend got an 875 U Express card; we have identical computers.... identical problems..   and when he uses the 875U express card he no longer gets a blue screen in either 3g or 2g.  Now, can someone explain that to me??????
Message 10 of 18 (8,220 Views)
Tutor

I also tried to disable the smart card reader and it did NOT help. I gave up on this card. I was able to test a Sierra 860 AirCard and it worked great. I installed the software and it worked immediately. Unfortunately, they do not sell this card anymore since Sierra has declared end of life for this product. Even if you can find this card, Sierra is only going to support the card for so long and then you're on your own, so why bother? I think we're going to look into the Option GT Max 3.6 AirCard.
Message 11 of 18 (7,429 Views)
Contributor

my friend got a Siera wireless 875U that fits in the expres card slot and he has had no problems.  However, if he tries the 875 in the PC slot it will blue screen in 2G area just like mine. I don't think that anyone will ever find out the problem with a Dell Latitude D820 and a Sierra Wireless 875 Aircard.... always blue screens when in 2g...... try the 875u if you can
Message 12 of 18 (7,428 Views)
Contributor

I made a mistake in saying that my friend with the identical problem went with an 875U.  He went with the Option Gt Max 3.6 express card.  He has had no problems (blue screen) in 3G or 2G since swapping out his 875 with this Option Gt Max card. 
Message 13 of 18 (7,420 Views)
Tutor

Finally after months of trying to get a wireless aircard to work in our Latitude D820, we figured it out. The only thing we could get to work with this laptop is Communication Manager 5.5 and the Option GT Max 3.6 AirCard and BIOS version A07. Actually, our laptops came with BIOS version A04 and we updated it to A07. It still didn't work with the card & software. I spoke to Dell and they replaced the motherboard (under warranty). It came with BIOS version A05 and we updated to A07 and it worked with the card & software. I don't know what the difference is between BIOS version A04 and A05, but it made a difference with Communication Manager 5.5 and the Option GT Max 3.6 card. I hope that helps anyone else who was having issues.
Message 14 of 18 (7,126 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]
I'm experiencing frequent lockups and intermittant intervals with my Latitude D630 and Sierra Wireless AC875.  Laptop BIOS and AC875 firmware are at latest revisions.  Tried both AT&T Communication Manager and Watcher (latest versions). 

Systems just freezes (no blue screen) at different points.  Sometimes right after connecting to the AT&T network, sometimes it will work for a couple of minutes before freezing.  Many times the system will not boot successfully with the card installed; hangs at Windows XP splash screen.

I have already replaced the laptop motherboard, tried disabling the smat card reader, reinstalled PCMCIA drivers and communications software (both AT&T and Watcher) numerous times.

Does anyone have a Latitude D630 and AC875 that is working, or another card that works? 

Message Edited by gatorWyndows on 02-23-2008 06:01:12 AM
Message 15 of 18 (6,833 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.