Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 25, 2010
10:47:54 PM
View profile
Delay of White iPhone May be to Redesign Antenna

Read an article today that suggested a theory that the white iPhone is being delayed further (besides the color issue) in order to redesign the antenna: http://iphone.click2creation.com/2010/07/apples-white-iphone-delay-a-chance-for-antenna-redesign/.

My question is if they redesign the antenna on the newer iPhones is Apple going to replace our old phones? My guess is no. It's an iterresting theory in the article as just by coincidence the Apple bumper program ends Sept 30th and that's when the new white phone are now scheduled to come out. Things that make you go hmmmm?

Read an article today that suggested a theory that the white iPhone is being delayed further (besides the color issue) in order to redesign the antenna: http://iphone.click2creation.com/2010/07/apples-white-iphone-delay-a-chance-for-antenna-redesign/.

My question is if they redesign the antenna on the newer iPhones is Apple going to replace our old phones? My guess is no. It's an iterresting theory in the article as just by coincidence the Apple bumper program ends Sept 30th and that's when the new white phone are now scheduled to come out. Things that make you go hmmmm?

Delay of White iPhone May be to Redesign Antenna

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 2:41:05 AM
(0)
Professor

Apple just said that the white iPhone will be available "sometime later in the year", not specifically Sept. 30.  In fact, at the press conference, they were planning to release the white by the end of this month, 2 months before the Sept. 30 cutoff, so initially at least there ws no linkage.  The article is a rumor, but it could be possible.

Personally, at this point, I think it would be better for them not to redesign the antenna.  They have been quite clear that there is no problem, and all phones do this.  To redesign the antenna would not only admit there was a "problem" after they swore there wasn't, which would destroy any remaining credibility, plus probably make all the millions who bought a "problem" black phone very unhappy.  Right now iPhone 4 sales seem barely affected, so I don't see a reason for them to change anything.  Maybe all they'll do is find some coating to put on the antenna which will have the same affect as a bumper.

Apple just said that the white iPhone will be available "sometime later in the year", not specifically Sept. 30.  In fact, at the press conference, they were planning to release the white by the end of this month, 2 months before the Sept. 30 cutoff, so initially at least there ws no linkage.  The article is a rumor, but it could be possible.

Personally, at this point, I think it would be better for them not to redesign the antenna.  They have been quite clear that there is no problem, and all phones do this.  To redesign the antenna would not only admit there was a "problem" after they swore there wasn't, which would destroy any remaining credibility, plus probably make all the millions who bought a "problem" black phone very unhappy.  Right now iPhone 4 sales seem barely affected, so I don't see a reason for them to change anything.  Maybe all they'll do is find some coating to put on the antenna which will have the same affect as a bumper.

Re: Delay of White iPhone May be to Redesign Antenna

2 of 19 (1,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 2:47:08 AM
(0)
Guru
Very, very, very doubtful. To redesign the antenna would take MONTHS to complete. First you have to design the system, then you have to test the new system, then you have to start mass producing the new antenna system then start building the new phones. Working in the manufacturing environment myself I can tell you now that to accomplish all that would take a good 4-6 months at the very least providing nothing else goes wrong.
Very, very, very doubtful. To redesign the antenna would take MONTHS to complete. First you have to design the system, then you have to test the new system, then you have to start mass producing the new antenna system then start building the new phones. Working in the manufacturing environment myself I can tell you now that to accomplish all that would take a good 4-6 months at the very least providing nothing else goes wrong.

3 of 19 (1,776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 2:47:54 AM
(0)
Guru
Oh and don't forget about waiting for the FCC's approval
Oh and don't forget about waiting for the FCC's approval

4 of 19 (1,775 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 5:42:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Apple isn't going to replace old phones, or change the design. The iP4 factories are in place, nothing changes until next year, when the iP5 comes out. You can bet that it will use a different antenna design.

Apple isn't going to replace old phones, or change the design. The iP4 factories are in place, nothing changes until next year, when the iP5 comes out. You can bet that it will use a different antenna design.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 19 (1,729 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 6:19:49 AM
(0)
Mentor

Do you really think they would release an iP5 so quickly after 4? I am not so sure. I think they'd want to capitalize as much as possible on iP4 before ruining that with the promise of another model. When they announced the released of iP4... purchases of the 3GS dropping by over 70%. Apple has the potential to ride this cash cow for at least 2 years. I can't see them ruining that to release another phone in the next 12 months.

Do you really think they would release an iP5 so quickly after 4? I am not so sure. I think they'd want to capitalize as much as possible on iP4 before ruining that with the promise of another model. When they announced the released of iP4... purchases of the 3GS dropping by over 70%. Apple has the potential to ride this cash cow for at least 2 years. I can't see them ruining that to release another phone in the next 12 months.

6 of 19 (1,696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 7:04:42 AM
(0)
Professor
They've been releasing an iPhone every summer since the first one came out. Why would this one be any different?
They've been releasing an iPhone every summer since the first one came out. Why would this one be any different?

7 of 19 (1,648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 8:01:52 AM
(0)
Guru

SLIKRICK wrote:

A quote pops into my head:
"This changes Everything. Again."
Smiley Wink

SLIKRICK wrote:

A quote pops into my head:
"This changes Everything. Again."
Smiley Wink

8 of 19 (1,609 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 9:55:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The iPhone has been on a yearly release schedule since it first came out. Given they still can't meet demand even after the so-called "antenna gate" there does not appear to be any reason at all for an expensive redesign. The "scarce white" is most likely just what it seems - unreliable production yields of white glass.

Bloggers can make up whatever they want, however, in an attempt to gain exposure. Good for them, helps no doubt with the advertising revenue.

The iPhone has been on a yearly release schedule since it first came out. Given they still can't meet demand even after the so-called "antenna gate" there does not appear to be any reason at all for an expensive redesign. The "scarce white" is most likely just what it seems - unreliable production yields of white glass.

Bloggers can make up whatever they want, however, in an attempt to gain exposure. Good for them, helps no doubt with the advertising revenue.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 19 (1,532 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 9:57:23 AM
(0)
Guru

That makes sense.  Since the prototype looks good there can't be any way that there could still be any issues mass producing them.  Don't ya love conspiracy theories?

That makes sense.  Since the prototype looks good there can't be any way that there could still be any issues mass producing them.  Don't ya love conspiracy theories?

11 of 19 (578 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 9:59:15 AM
(0)
Professor

I think that if they did what the OP thinks, there would be a lot of angry people. They were testers and now that Apple knows the black one doesnt work, they fix the white. I think people wouldnt be too happy at all.

I think that if they did what the OP thinks, there would be a lot of angry people. They were testers and now that Apple knows the black one doesnt work, they fix the white. I think people wouldnt be too happy at all.

12 of 19 (575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 10:03:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

UNSC_REACH wrote:

and now that Apple knows the black one doesnt work

Yeah, that plus of course the black one does work Smiley Happy

UNSC_REACH wrote:

13 of 19 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 10:05:47 AM
(0)
Professor

johninsj wrote:

UNSC_REACH wrote:

And it works pretty darn well too Smiley Very Happy

johninsj wrote:

UNSC_REACH wrote:

And it works pretty darn well too Smiley Very Happy

Posted from my iPhone 4. Look at me I'm hot and nerdy.

14 of 19 (560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 10:11:10 AM
(0)
Professor

Well you know how people are, they dont care about that. But I have 2 in my household, and 3 others in immediate family. All iPhone 4, 16GB (black of course) and if anything the reception is better. Yeah the signal issue is present, but 3 of those have cases that fixed the issue and our 2 otterboxes should be here thursday. Smiley Happy

Well you know how people are, they dont care about that. But I have 2 in my household, and 3 others in immediate family. All iPhone 4, 16GB (black of course) and if anything the reception is better. Yeah the signal issue is present, but 3 of those have cases that fixed the issue and our 2 otterboxes should be here thursday. Smiley Happy

15 of 19 (555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 10:37:29 AM
(0)
Guru

I heard the White Iphone's were only being releases by Verizon.

16 of 19 (523 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 10:40:22 AM
(0)
Professor

Oh help us all then! The day the iPhone is released on Verizon, I may switch. But not to verizon, to T-mobile. Just out of principle.

Oh help us all then! The day the iPhone is released on Verizon, I may switch. But not to verizon, to T-mobile. Just out of principle.

17 of 19 (512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 11:05:59 AM
(0)
Guru

stclair49 wrote:

I also heard Hot pink ones will be released for sprint and a Black/White Zebra striped phone for T-Mobile.

stclair49 wrote:

I also heard Hot pink ones will be released for sprint and a Black/White Zebra striped phone for T-Mobile.

18 of 19 (489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 11:10:03 AM
(0)
Guru

Neihn wrote:

stclair49 wrote:

I'd heard that they were delaying the white iPhone because it is going to be nuclear powered.

Neihn wrote:

stclair49 wrote:

I'd heard that they were delaying the white iPhone because it is going to be nuclear powered.

19 of 19 (485 Views)