Ask a question

Posted Sep 2, 2011
    11:33:19 AM
    View profile
    Data usage with an Android Atrix

I am almost always around a WiFi source, and when I am, I have my phone set up to go ahead and log into said WiFi connection, allowing me free data streaming to and from my phone. 

What I've noticed though is that while I may be connected to the Wifi, as soon as my phone goes into sleep (screen turns off or goes into lock) I lose that wifi connection, and any kind of data transfer that happens at that point goes onto my data plan. 

Once my phone is turned back on, and unlocked, it will reconnect to the wifi and then all my data switches back to that.

Is there a work around or settings I'm missing? I'd like to still recieve emails and all of that, but if I'm on wifi, I want to stay on that then switch to the att network.

Data usage with an Android Atrix

4 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (4)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 2, 2011 12:36:29 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

that is a very odd problem, what I would do to fix this is a system restore. I hope it gets resolved for you.

AT&T CSR, but anything this i say is not assssssossiaattteeddd with att as a company.

Re: Data usage with an Android Atrix

2 of 5 (1,375 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 2, 2011 3:04:02 PM
    (0)
    Professor
    The wifi radio has a sleep policy. You need to set to never or turn off the cellular data (packet data) connection when you are normally connected to a wifi router.

http://m.androidcentral.com/android-101-save-battery-keeping-wifi-alive
    Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
    Posted by a mobile device.

3 of 5 (1,367 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 12, 2011 3:27:02 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    Anndroid154s correct. you need to do a manual setting under Wireless Network:

1. Settings
    2. Wireless & Networks
    3. Wi-Fi Settings
    4. Advanced
    5. Wi-Fi Sleep Policy
    6. Select "Never"
    Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

4 of 5 (1,308 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 16, 2011 2:41:18 PM
    (0)
    Former Community Manager

Hey djneked, 

Did Ann154 & RicoLX's suggestions help? Let us know so we can help more if needed. Smiley Happy

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 5 (1,283 Views)