Data plans

Data plans

I already have unlimited data plan with my cell phone

If I were to buy an AT&T network card, is there any way to link this to the number/account/dataplan i already have? Or do I have to purchase yet another data plan specifically for that card? Anyone have info on this, ive looked everywhere I see nothing
Message 1 of 12 (4,433 Views)
Master

Re: Data plans

You will need another rate plan for the air card.
Message 2 of 12 (4,429 Views)

Thanks Excalibur Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 12 (4,388 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

{Please read the guidelines section - Keep it relevant and appropriate- Other inappropriate and unacceptable behavior includes discussions about how to violate any AT&T policy or agreement entered into with AT&T for any product or services}

Hey, why pay twice?

Message Edited by mod.moose on 03-15-2008 10:45:31 PM
Message 4 of 12 (4,262 Views)
Professor

Why pay twice? Because there are specific Data Connect and tethering plans designed for accessing the internet with a computer and not using them is a violation of the terms and conditions you agreed to when you signed up for service.

Of course, you don't HAVE to follow those terms and conditions. You also don't HAVE to be an AT&T customer. Nobody's holding a gun to your head. Smiley Very Happy

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 12 (4,253 Views)
Mentor

When did moving your SIM card from one device to another become a violation?

The SIM card simply represents your account and all the services you pay for.  Why should at&t care which device you use it in as long as youre honestly paying for the services provisioned on your card?
Message 6 of 12 (4,224 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

russianbill wrote:
When did moving your SIM card from one device to another become a violation?

The SIM card simply represents your account and all the services you pay for.  Why should at&t care which device you use it in as long as youre honestly paying for the services provisioned on your card?

It is not a violation to move your sim card and you are free to use it in any device you please as long as it does not intefere with the network.  What will simply occur if you try and use your unlimited phone based plan to access data via a PC is that you will simply be billed at the pay per use rate for data that is not used for applications on your phone.  Tethering or PC card use to access the internet requires the provisioninig of a different type of plan if you also want that use to be unlimited.  AT&T is able to tell how you use your account and if something happens to slip through non typical data use amounts will trigger an audit and retroactive billing of your use.

Message Edited by DWC1 on 03-16-2008 02:29:15 PM
Message 7 of 12 (4,209 Views)
Mentor

That makes sense, and thank you for clarifying what I was trying to say now that I see how it could have been misinterpreted.

Message 8 of 12 (4,086 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]
I have a 875u, but no SIM card.  Does anyone know how long the service commitment period is to get a new SIM card and service activated from AT&T?  In advance, thanks for any help you can offer.

Oh, and if I did have a SIM card, could I just pay for activation with no contract (i.e. go month-to-month)?

Message Edited by mel_gibson_ on 03-17-2008 02:39:06 PM
Message 9 of 12 (4,024 Views)
Mentor

mel_gibson_ wrote:
I have a 875u, but no SIM card.  Does anyone know how long the service commitment period is to get a new SIM card and service activated from AT&T?  In advance, thanks for any help you can offer.

Oh, and if I did have a SIM card, could I just pay for activation with no contract (i.e. go month-to-month)?

"GigaOM notes that AT&T is waving their PR flag to announce that the company is now offering a new plan that lets you buy a $5 SIM card from the carrier. The idea is that users with unlocked GSM handsets can sign up without having to cough up money for a new handset. The problem? The deal requires you sign a two-year contract which somewhat defeats the purpose. Carriers have always argued that the contract is to help subsidize the phone. But in this case you're not getting one."
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATTs-New-SIM-Card-Plan-91175

Message 10 of 12 (3,950 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]
$74.99 per month a laptop connect data plan with no commitment.  2 Year will bring the MSC to $60.00

Message Edited by Excalibur on 03-18-2008 06:04:24 PM
Message 11 of 12 (1,457 Views)
Master

Excalibur wrote:
$74.99 per month a laptop connect data plan with no commitment.  2 Year will bring the MSC to $60.00

Message Edited by Excalibur on 03-18-2008 06:04:24 PM

I believe that with the new custome choice initiatives as long as you have you own hardware you can now get any of the rates plans including the $60 one on a zero month commitment.  Getting a store or rep to activate it for you can still be tricky.
Message 12 of 12 (1,415 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.