Data plan

Mentor

Data plan

Can anybody explain to me why I need a data plan to use the iphone when I can get the internet at home for free? I think it's a money making scam if you ask me. Rob the customers some more. 200mb. for 15.00 and anything over that you get soaked. Really, so If you go over that your really getting soaked.

Message 1 of 22 (1,443 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Data plan

fleebag wrote:

Can anybody explain to me why I need a data plan to use the iphone when I can get the internet at home for free? I think it's a money making scam if you ask me. Rob the customers some more. 200mb. for 15.00 and anything over that you get soaked. Really, so If you go over that your really getting soaked.

If you don't want 3G data, get an iPod Touch, and some cheap non-data phone from AT&T.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 22 (1,422 Views)
Master

fleebag wrote:

This question has been asked and answered many times here and relates not only to the iPhone but to all smartphones on ATT and in most cases other carriers. The short answer is this; An iPhone and other smartphones use data even when you do not realize it and your bill could be much larger without a plan.  Second and most important, it is a requirement by ATT and similarly other carriers.  If you do not like the requirement then a smartphone may not be for you.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 3 of 22 (1,421 Views)
Professor

Also, the wifi radio is off while the phone is asleep, so if there is a data request during that time, it will be over the cell network. It is possible to always be within wifi coverage and still use cell data.
Message 4 of 22 (1,379 Views)
Master

Because AT&T says so. End of story.

fleebag wrote:

Message 5 of 22 (1,361 Views)
Mentor

dwill05 wrote:
Also, the wifi radio is off while the phone is asleep, so if there is a data request during that time, it will be over the cell network. It is possible to always be within wifi coverage and still use cell data.

dwill.... Correct, but in my opinion, the cellular data use will be almost negligible (in Standby, with wi-fi enabled) if ALL running programs and applcations are off.  If all programs are off, there is very little the iPhone can request from the cellular network other than small service requests that don't add up much over 300 kb per day.

This is the thing that most people don't realize, and who complain about excessive data use even with wi-fi turned on: CLOSE ALL YOUR PROGRAMS AND APPS AND YOU WOJ'T USE MUCH DATA IN STANDBY MODE!

Am I correct in this grandstanding, dwill.....??Smiley Indifferent

Message 6 of 22 (1,322 Views)
ACE - Master

If I am not mistaken, there are several "core apps" on the iPhone which are automaticaly started in the background when the phone starts, and there is no way to terminate them.  On my iPhone 4, using a "task manager" type program, I can see that I have no apps in the "double tap" list, yet, I can see that "Mail", "iPod", "Phone", and "Maps" are all reported as "running" right now.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 22 (1,308 Views)
Mentor

GeekBoy,

Those "core apps" you mention are the ones I was alluding to, and I believe they use a very small amount of cellular data in Standby mode.  But I believe (perhaps mistakenly) that the active apps shown by double-clicking the Home button are the ONLY ones that draw on the cellular service bigtime over many hours.  These are the ones that many users do not shut down when done with them, and they are the reason for the high data usage.

Secondly, I'm very curious about your "task manager" program that shows running apps.  Please explain and let me know where I can d/l it.  Does it work well?  And how can your "mail" and "maps" programs be running when not listed in the active apps screen!!??

More tomorrow!!!

Message 8 of 22 (1,289 Views)
ACE - Professor

to support quick launch, iOS keeps maps, phone, email, and iPod running, even if you close them in the app switcher.

None of them will use any data unless you tell them to - for email, that is either by enabling PUSH or setting up regular email checks. It is completely possible to configure your iPhone such that it uses no data at all, unless you tell it to.

None of this has beans to do with AT&T requiring a data plan. If you turn off 3G data (a setting) or put it in airplane mode, it will happily use just Wifi for all data. However, given it is a smartphone, and AT&T REQUIRES alll smartphones to have some data plan, it requires a data plan.

You can choose to not get it or get it. But if you get it, you get a data plan, just like with EVERY other smartphone.

Message 9 of 22 (1,280 Views)
Teacher

Yes, this is a way for ATT to bill more. I have my iPhone 4 set to disable all forms of cellular data. The $15 tax I pay must buy somebodies lunch at the company. I'm glad I can help.

Message 10 of 22 (1,229 Views)
ACE - Professor

So, you were forced to select a smart phone when you signed up for Voice cell service from AT&T?

Message 11 of 22 (683 Views)
Professor

I think that the frustration that the posters are feeling is that they want a smartphone for what it does.  Smartphones can access internet and email just fine using a wi-fi signal.  If a customer has constant wi-fi access, the data plan requirement seems unfair to them. 

I am not in this situation, as I do not have wi-fi everywhere that I go.  I need the data plan in order to use my smartphone as intended.  I do understand the feelings of people in different situations and don't like to see other people beating up on them for sharing an opinion that is different.

Message 12 of 22 (667 Views)
ACE - Professor

21stNow wrote:

I think that the frustration that the posters are feeling is that they want a smartphone for what it does.  Smartphones can access internet and email just fine using a wi-fi signal.  If a customer has constant wi-fi access, the data plan requirement seems unfair to them. 

I am not in this situation, as I do not have wi-fi everywhere that I go.  I need the data plan in order to use my smartphone as intended.  I do understand the feelings of people in different situations and don't like to see other people beating up on them for sharing an opinion that is different.

No, they want a PDA (what we called the "smart" part of smartphones, before they were merged) Apple sells two - iPad and iPod Touch, both with just wifi. So, the OP can just get a dumb flip phone for voice, and either of these devices for wifi-based PDA functions, and they're all set.

AT&T has a policy that ALL smartphones MUST have dataplans. So, you either don't get a smartphone, or you get a data plan. Simple.

This isn't unique to AT&T by the way. Let me know if you can find any cell provider with a different rule.

Message 13 of 22 (650 Views)
Teacher

johninsj wrote:

No, they want a PDA (what we called the "smart" part of smartphones, before they were merged) Apple sells two - iPad and iPod Touch, both with just wifi. So, the OP can just get a dumb flip phone for voice, and either of these devices for wifi-based PDA functions, and they're all set.

AT&T has a policy that ALL smartphones MUST have dataplans. So, you either don't get a smartphone, or you get a data plan. Simple. 

What I want is ONE device to do several tasks for me. The iPhone is perfect for this. I have Wifi everywhere I go so I resent being made to pay for Data services I WILL NEVER USE. AT&T policy is stupid. No need to defend their thinking. It is what it is... the AT&T tax, I pay it for two phone, life goes on.

Message 14 of 22 (637 Views)
ACE - Master

johninsj wrote:

Go one better,  Get the iPod Touch, and a Skype subscription and just use Skype to make all their phone calls since they always have wifi access...

If they try that route, they will quickly see that they don't always have the wifi access they think they have, or that they really do want to use the data services in those few areas where they are lacking wifi coverage...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
Message 15 of 22 (627 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.