Data plan

Mentor

Data plan

Can anybody explain to me why I need a data plan to use the iphone when I can get the internet at home for free? I think it's a money making scam if you ask me. Rob the customers some more. 200mb. for 15.00 and anything over that you get soaked. Really, so If you go over that your really getting soaked.

Message 1 of 22 (1,446 Views)
Teacher

Re: Data plan

[ Edited ]
GeekBoy wrote:

Go one better,  Get the iPod Touch, and a Skype subscription and just use Skype to make all their phone calls since they always have wifi access...

 

If they try that route, they will quickly see that they don't always have the wifi access they think they have, or that they really do want to use the data services in those few areas where they are lacking wifi coverage...


   

I've had a smart-phone for years, I know what kind of data services I need. I'm big enough to know what I need to pay for... shocking I know. I want a phone, sms, wifi internet device. Don't need the $15 monthly tax. And get this... I've also got an iPad 16GB wifi only device... there are no monthy fees to own it, how about that?

 

Message 16 of 22 (621 Views)
Professor

Re: Data plan

 


johninsj wrote:

 

 

AT&T has a policy that ALL smartphones MUST have dataplans. So, you either don't get a smartphone, or you get a data plan. Simple.

 

This isn't unique to AT&T by the way. Let me know if you can find any cell provider with a different rule.


I have a Vibrant from T-Mobile, not under contract.  I do not have to have the data plan on that phone.  I do because I choose to.

 

Message 17 of 22 (596 Views)
Master

Re: Data plan

That's incorrect.  If AT&T picks up that the phone you're using is a smartphone, regardless of provenance, they CAN and WILL add the data plan for you.  Many a Nexus One user complained because AT&T picked up that they were using a smartphone when the data plan was added.

 

 


21stNow wrote:

 


johninsj wrote:

 

 

AT&T has a policy that ALL smartphones MUST have dataplans. So, you either don't get a smartphone, or you get a data plan. Simple.

 

This isn't unique to AT&T by the way. Let me know if you can find any cell provider with a different rule.


I have a Vibrant from T-Mobile, not under contract.  I do not have to have the data plan on that phone.  I do because I choose to.

 


 

Message 18 of 22 (578 Views)
Professor

Re: Data plan

 


BrianfromNO wrote:

That's incorrect.  If AT&T picks up that the phone you're using is a smartphone, regardless of provenance, they CAN and WILL add the data plan for you.  Many a Nexus One user complained because AT&T picked up that they were using a smartphone when the data plan was added.

 

 


Maybe you misunderstood me.  T-Mobile is my service provider.  AT&T has nothing to do with my Vibrant.

 

Message 19 of 22 (570 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Data plan

 


pcunite wrote:

I've had a smart-phone for years, I know what kind of data services I need. I'm big enough to know what I need to pay for... shocking I know. I want a phone, sms, wifi internet device. Don't need the $15 monthly tax. And get this... I've also got an iPad 16GB wifi only device... there are no monthy fees to own it, how about that?

 


 

Voice + SMS is a dumb phone. Wifi isn't a cellular product. If you want a converged device, you'll have to have a data plan, because the carrier requires it. Even if you are out of contract with an unlocked device.

 

 

So again what this post is asking for is for you to use a smartphone on a dumbphone plan, and that's just not possible. You can choose to not have a smartphone on AT&T or you can choose to have one on AT&T.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 22 (566 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Data plan

 


21stNow wrote:

 


BrianfromNO wrote:

That's incorrect.  If AT&T picks up that the phone you're using is a smartphone, regardless of provenance, they CAN and WILL add the data plan for you.  Many a Nexus One user complained because AT&T picked up that they were using a smartphone when the data plan was added.

 

 


Maybe you misunderstood me.  T-Mobile is my service provider.  AT&T has nothing to do with my Vibrant.

 


 

Ok, So, T-Mobile allows smartphones without data plans.

Verizon: No

AT&T: No

Sprint: No

 

T-Mobile: Yes

 

Any other national carriers out there to put into our matrix?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 22 (514 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Re: Data plan

You said you had a Vibrant from T-Mobile; I didn't realize you actually had service from T-Mobile.  Lots of people use unlocked T-Mobile phones on AT&T, despite the 3G incompatibility.

 

 


21stNow wrote:

 


BrianfromNO wrote:

That's incorrect.  If AT&T picks up that the phone you're using is a smartphone, regardless of provenance, they CAN and WILL add the data plan for you.  Many a Nexus One user complained because AT&T picked up that they were using a smartphone when the data plan was added.

 

 


Maybe you misunderstood me.  T-Mobile is my service provider.  AT&T has nothing to do with my Vibrant.

 


 

Message 22 of 22 (511 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.