Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Reply
Posted May 23, 2010
1:27:22 PM
View profile
Data plan with unlocked phone

A few days ago my trusty blackjack 2 flew out of my pocket while on a roller coaster ride. So now i am looking for a replacement. The problem is, all of the phones that would replace it are smartphones, and all smartphones require the 30$ dollar data plan. That is something i really dont need/ want. My question is, if i buy an unlocked would i be able to bypass that data plan?

A few days ago my trusty blackjack 2 flew out of my pocket while on a roller coaster ride. So now i am looking for a replacement. The problem is, all of the phones that would replace it are smartphones, and all smartphones require the 30$ dollar data plan. That is something i really dont need/ want. My question is, if i buy an unlocked would i be able to bypass that data plan?

Data plan with unlocked phone

17,817 views
113 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Reply
View all replies
(113)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2010 4:25:31 PM
0
(0)
Scholar

Offically acording to WRITTEN policy? No way in heck. Smiley Happy 

 

HOWEVER enforcement of that policy is way different. Some people are reporting, just as an example, that requesting the data block service allowed them to avoid the $30 plans, others report that the retention specialists will drop the plan if you make that a condition of staying with AT&T, and so on. So basically you wont know till you try. Smiley Happy 

Offically acording to WRITTEN policy? No way in heck. Smiley Happy 

 

HOWEVER enforcement of that policy is way different. Some people are reporting, just as an example, that requesting the data block service allowed them to avoid the $30 plans, others report that the retention specialists will drop the plan if you make that a condition of staying with AT&T, and so on. So basically you wont know till you try. Smiley Happy 

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

2 of 114 (17,789 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2010 7:57:38 PM
0
(0)
Master
In order to avoid having the data plan added to your account, any smartphone that you buy would have to be unlocked as well as unbraned.
In order to avoid having the data plan added to your account, any smartphone that you buy would have to be unlocked as well as unbraned.

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

3 of 114 (17,776 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 4:16:46 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

 


Irish Rose wrote:
In order to avoid having the data plan added to your account, any smartphone that you buy would have to be unlocked as well as unbraned.

Incorrect. ANY smart phone regardless of branded/unbranded/etc is required by the written policy to have the data plan, however as I mentioned already enforcement is sporadic and various people are getting out of it with both branded/locked and unbranded/unlocked phones. 

 

 


Irish Rose wrote:
In order to avoid having the data plan added to your account, any smartphone that you buy would have to be unlocked as well as unbraned.

Incorrect. ANY smart phone regardless of branded/unbranded/etc is required by the written policy to have the data plan, however as I mentioned already enforcement is sporadic and various people are getting out of it with both branded/locked and unbranded/unlocked phones. 

 

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

4 of 114 (17,759 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 4:40:42 AM
0
(0)
Master
Edited by Eileen89 on May 24, 2010 at 4:42:38 AM

 


VydorScope wrote:

Incorrect. ANY smart phone regardless of branded/unbranded/etc is required by the written policy to have the data plan, however as I mentioned already enforcement is sporadic and various people are getting out of it with both branded/locked and unbranded/unlocked phones. 

 


 

Actually, AT&T does NOT make their policy clear  one way or the other regarding what the data requirement is on using an "unlocked" and "unbranded" device. If they do, please show me where on their website that the "written" policy is?  Thanks!

 


VydorScope wrote:

Incorrect. ANY smart phone regardless of branded/unbranded/etc is required by the written policy to have the data plan, however as I mentioned already enforcement is sporadic and various people are getting out of it with both branded/locked and unbranded/unlocked phones. 

 


 

Actually, AT&T does NOT make their policy clear  one way or the other regarding what the data requirement is on using an "unlocked" and "unbranded" device. If they do, please show me where on their website that the "written" policy is?  Thanks!

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

[ Edited ]
5 of 114 (17,757 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 8:43:30 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

It has been posted a bunch of times on these forums already, its on their website and its in the contract you agree to when you get service now. I find it hard to believe you actually looked if you have not seen it. 

 

From their terms of service... 

 

Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices, including iPhones and other designated smartphones. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using an iPhone or other designated smartphone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

 

Simply put anything they designate a smartphone requires the data plan. Pure and simple. However enforcement is very much in variance. 

It has been posted a bunch of times on these forums already, its on their website and its in the contract you agree to when you get service now. I find it hard to believe you actually looked if you have not seen it. 

 

From their terms of service... 

 

Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices, including iPhones and other designated smartphones. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using an iPhone or other designated smartphone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

 

Simply put anything they designate a smartphone requires the data plan. Pure and simple. However enforcement is very much in variance. 

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

6 of 114 (17,733 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 10:59:38 AM
0
(0)
Professor

VydorScope wrote:

It has been posted a bunch of times on these forums already, its on their website and its in the contract you agree to when you get service now. I find it hard to believe you actually looked if you have not seen it. 

 

From their terms of service... 

 

Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices, including iPhones and other designated smartphones. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using an iPhone or other designated smartphone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

 

Simply put anything they designate a smartphone requires the data plan. Pure and simple. However enforcement is very much in variance. 


Now show us which phones AT&T has designated as smartphones and let's see if every phone that will work on AT&T's network is on the list.


VydorScope wrote:

It has been posted a bunch of times on these forums already, its on their website and its in the contract you agree to when you get service now. I find it hard to believe you actually looked if you have not seen it. 

 

From their terms of service... 

 

Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices, including iPhones and other designated smartphones. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using an iPhone or other designated smartphone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

 

Simply put anything they designate a smartphone requires the data plan. Pure and simple. However enforcement is very much in variance. 


Now show us which phones AT&T has designated as smartphones and let's see if every phone that will work on AT&T's network is on the list.

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

7 of 114 (17,711 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 11:15:37 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

The lists on their site, I think you can find it if you really care. 

The lists on their site, I think you can find it if you really care. 

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

8 of 114 (17,713 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 11:49:12 AM
0
(0)
Professor

VydorScope wrote:

The lists on their site, I think you can find it if you really care. 


I already did and it is as I stated, reinforcing the point Irish Rose made about the lack of clarity.


VydorScope wrote:

The lists on their site, I think you can find it if you really care. 


I already did and it is as I stated, reinforcing the point Irish Rose made about the lack of clarity.

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

9 of 114 (17,708 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 12:26:31 PM
0
(0)
Master

 


VydorScope wrote:

It has been posted a bunch of times on these forums already, its on their website and its in the contract you agree to when you get service now. I find it hard to believe you actually looked if you have not seen it. 

 

From their terms of service... 

 

Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices, including iPhones and other designated smartphones. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using an iPhone or other designated smartphone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

 

Simply put anything they designate a smartphone requires the data plan. Pure and simple. However enforcement is very much in variance. 


Yup, I saw this, now show me where in that paragraph, where it says that "unlocked & unbranded" devices are designated as smartphones and require a data plan. Ya know what? You can't, because it's NOT there, period!!! Smiley Wink

 

 


VydorScope wrote:

It has been posted a bunch of times on these forums already, its on their website and its in the contract you agree to when you get service now. I find it hard to believe you actually looked if you have not seen it. 

 

From their terms of service... 

 

Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices, including iPhones and other designated smartphones. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using an iPhone or other designated smartphone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

 

Simply put anything they designate a smartphone requires the data plan. Pure and simple. However enforcement is very much in variance. 


Yup, I saw this, now show me where in that paragraph, where it says that "unlocked & unbranded" devices are designated as smartphones and require a data plan. Ya know what? You can't, because it's NOT there, period!!! Smiley Wink

 

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

10 of 114 (17,703 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 12:27:59 PM
0
(0)
Master

 


sitnsidewayz wrote:

Now show us which phones AT&T has designated as smartphones and let's see if every phone that will work on AT&T's network is on the list.


Well said, sitnsideways, this is my whole point.

 

 


sitnsidewayz wrote:

Now show us which phones AT&T has designated as smartphones and let's see if every phone that will work on AT&T's network is on the list.


Well said, sitnsideways, this is my whole point.

 

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

11 of 114 (16,281 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 12:31:08 PM
0
(0)
Master

 


VydorScope wrote:

The lists on their site, I think you can find it if you really care. 


Actually, those of us that DID look, know for a fact that it isn't there, however, since you seem so sure that it is, you can either show us where, or STOP telling us that it is!

 

 


VydorScope wrote:

The lists on their site, I think you can find it if you really care. 


Actually, those of us that DID look, know for a fact that it isn't there, however, since you seem so sure that it is, you can either show us where, or STOP telling us that it is!

 

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

12 of 114 (16,280 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 12:41:40 PM
0
(0)
Scholar

Eh, if you want to look for reason to make it unclear you can find it thats for sure, its pretty clear to me. Smiley Happy It really a moot point because enforcement is all over the board, including requiring unbranded/unlocked phones to have it at times. 

Eh, if you want to look for reason to make it unclear you can find it thats for sure, its pretty clear to me. Smiley Happy It really a moot point because enforcement is all over the board, including requiring unbranded/unlocked phones to have it at times. 

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

13 of 114 (16,270 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 12:51:43 PM
0
(0)
Master

 


VydorScope wrote:

Eh, if you want to look for reason to make it unclear you can find it thats for sure, its pretty clear to me. Smiley Happy


 

 


VydorScope wrote:

Eh, if you want to look for reason to make it unclear you can find it thats for sure, its pretty clear to me. Smiley Happy


 

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

14 of 114 (16,262 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 3:12:35 PM
0
(0)
Guru
Edited by Glomag on May 25, 2010 at 10:11:03 AM

Irish Rose wrote:

 


VydorScope wrote:

It has been posted a bunch of times on these forums already, its on their website and its in the contract you agree to when you get service now. I find it hard to believe you actually looked if you have not seen it. 

 

From their terms of service... 

 

Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices, including iPhones and other designated smartphones. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using an iPhone or other designated smartphone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

 

Simply put anything they designate a smartphone requires the data plan. Pure and simple. However enforcement is very much in variance. 


Yup, I saw this, now show me where in that paragraph, where it says that "unlocked & unbranded" devices are designated as smartphones and require a data plan. Ya know what? You can't, because it's NOT there, period!!! Smiley Wink

 


It doesn't matter whether unlocked or unbranded. If the manufacturer deems that device as a "smartphone" therefore it is such. A smartphone is a smartphone no matter what carrier it is. Such as a rose is still a rose even if called by another name. A Ford is still a Ford even if you unbrand it by taking off all the dealer and manufacturer logos. You can call it a Toyota but in reality..it's still a Ford. A smartphone can be from another provider and be unlocked or "unbranded" (which unbranded only really means it doesn't have an AT&T or Cingular logo) but it's still a smartphone. Just someone tryna beat the system or actually proving a VALID point by finding a loophole in the terms of service. Nothing like finding a loophole is it. {Uncalled for comment edited}

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Irish Rose wrote:

 


VydorScope wrote:

It has been posted a bunch of times on these forums already, its on their website and its in the contract you agree to when you get service now. I find it hard to believe you actually looked if you have not seen it. 

 

From their terms of service... 

 

Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices, including iPhones and other designated smartphones. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using an iPhone or other designated smartphone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

 

Simply put anything they designate a smartphone requires the data plan. Pure and simple. However enforcement is very much in variance. 


Yup, I saw this, now show me where in that paragraph, where it says that "unlocked & unbranded" devices are designated as smartphones and require a data plan. Ya know what? You can't, because it's NOT there, period!!! Smiley Wink

 


It doesn't matter whether unlocked or unbranded. If the manufacturer deems that device as a "smartphone" therefore it is such. A smartphone is a smartphone no matter what carrier it is. Such as a rose is still a rose even if called by another name. A Ford is still a Ford even if you unbrand it by taking off all the dealer and manufacturer logos. You can call it a Toyota but in reality..it's still a Ford. A smartphone can be from another provider and be unlocked or "unbranded" (which unbranded only really means it doesn't have an AT&T or Cingular logo) but it's still a smartphone. Just someone tryna beat the system or actually proving a VALID point by finding a loophole in the terms of service. Nothing like finding a loophole is it. {Uncalled for comment edited}

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

[ Edited ]
15 of 114 (16,247 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 4:07:56 PM
0
(0)
Master
Edited by Glomag on May 25, 2010 at 10:11:53 AM

 


PhoneScoop wrote:
It doesn't matter whether unlocked or unbranded. If the manufacturer deems that device as a "smartphone" therefore it is such. A smartphone is a smartphone no matter what carrier it is. Such as a rose is still a rose even if called by another name. A Ford is still a Ford even if you unbrand it by taking off all the dealer and manufacturer logos. You can call it a Toyota but in reality..it's still a Ford. A smartphone can be from another provider and be unlocked or "unbranded" (which unbranded only really means it doesn't have an AT&T or Cingular logo) but it's still a smartphone. Just someone tryna beat the system or actually proving a VALID point by finding a loophole in the terms of service. Nothing like finding a loophole is it.{Uncalled for comment edited}

 

You don't know what you are even talking about here, and make absolutely no sense at all. So by your logic here, EVERYONE that is using an unbranded and unlocked smartphone is just trying to beat the system?  You seem to be forgetting that not everyone wants to be locked down to a device that they don't like, or care for. *cough* *cough* Like AT&T's so called first Android phone, which just happens to be the only one that AT&T sells........ {Uncalled for comment edited} 

 

 


PhoneScoop wrote:
It doesn't matter whether unlocked or unbranded. If the manufacturer deems that device as a "smartphone" therefore it is such. A smartphone is a smartphone no matter what carrier it is. Such as a rose is still a rose even if called by another name. A Ford is still a Ford even if you unbrand it by taking off all the dealer and manufacturer logos. You can call it a Toyota but in reality..it's still a Ford. A smartphone can be from another provider and be unlocked or "unbranded" (which unbranded only really means it doesn't have an AT&T or Cingular logo) but it's still a smartphone. Just someone tryna beat the system or actually proving a VALID point by finding a loophole in the terms of service. Nothing like finding a loophole is it.{Uncalled for comment edited}

 

You don't know what you are even talking about here, and make absolutely no sense at all. So by your logic here, EVERYONE that is using an unbranded and unlocked smartphone is just trying to beat the system?  You seem to be forgetting that not everyone wants to be locked down to a device that they don't like, or care for. *cough* *cough* Like AT&T's so called first Android phone, which just happens to be the only one that AT&T sells........ {Uncalled for comment edited} 

 

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

[ Edited ]
16 of 114 (16,241 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 4:22:03 PM
0
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Glomag on May 25, 2010 at 10:12:44 AM

 


Irish Rose wrote:

 


PhoneScoop wrote:
It doesn't matter whether unlocked or unbranded. If the manufacturer deems that device as a "smartphone" therefore it is such. A smartphone is a smartphone no matter what carrier it is. Such as a rose is still a rose even if called by another name. A Ford is still a Ford even if you unbrand it by taking off all the dealer and manufacturer logos. You can call it a Toyota but in reality..it's still a Ford. A smartphone can be from another provider and be unlocked or "unbranded" (which unbranded only really means it doesn't have an AT&T or Cingular logo) but it's still a smartphone. Just someone tryna beat the system or actually proving a VALID point by finding a loophole in the terms of service. Nothing like finding a loophole is it. {Uncalled for comment edited}

 

You don't know what you are even talking about here, and make absolutely no sense at all. So by your logic here, EVERYONE that is using an unbranded and unlocked smartphone is just trying to beat the system?  You seem to be forgetting that not everyone wants to be locked down to a device that they don't like, or care for. *cough* *cough* Like AT&T's so called first Android phone, which really isn't an Android device at all........ {Uncalled for comment edited} 

 


 

No, he is pointing out clearly that a smart phone is a smart phone regardless if its unbranded/unlocked/etc. Branding and Locking are not conditions of the agreement, only the designation "smart"

 

Now, its really a totally pointless debate because in practice there appears to be no rhyme or reason to whether or not they require the data plan or not when you call up with any given phone. Smiley Happy

 

Of course if you want to say its a horrible policy, with an even worse execution, I would be in complete agreement. Smiley Happy 

 


Irish Rose wrote:

 


PhoneScoop wrote:
It doesn't matter whether unlocked or unbranded. If the manufacturer deems that device as a "smartphone" therefore it is such. A smartphone is a smartphone no matter what carrier it is. Such as a rose is still a rose even if called by another name. A Ford is still a Ford even if you unbrand it by taking off all the dealer and manufacturer logos. You can call it a Toyota but in reality..it's still a Ford. A smartphone can be from another provider and be unlocked or "unbranded" (which unbranded only really means it doesn't have an AT&T or Cingular logo) but it's still a smartphone. Just someone tryna beat the system or actually proving a VALID point by finding a loophole in the terms of service. Nothing like finding a loophole is it. {Uncalled for comment edited}

 

You don't know what you are even talking about here, and make absolutely no sense at all. So by your logic here, EVERYONE that is using an unbranded and unlocked smartphone is just trying to beat the system?  You seem to be forgetting that not everyone wants to be locked down to a device that they don't like, or care for. *cough* *cough* Like AT&T's so called first Android phone, which really isn't an Android device at all........ {Uncalled for comment edited} 

 


 

No, he is pointing out clearly that a smart phone is a smart phone regardless if its unbranded/unlocked/etc. Branding and Locking are not conditions of the agreement, only the designation "smart"

 

Now, its really a totally pointless debate because in practice there appears to be no rhyme or reason to whether or not they require the data plan or not when you call up with any given phone. Smiley Happy

 

Of course if you want to say its a horrible policy, with an even worse execution, I would be in complete agreement. Smiley Happy 

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

[ Edited ]
17 of 114 (16,233 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 4:39:56 PM
0
(0)
Master

 


VydorScope wrote:
No, he is pointing out clearly that a smart phone is a smart phone regardless if its unbranded/unlocked/etc. Branding and Locking are not conditions of the agreement, only the designation "smart"

 

Now, its really a totally pointless debate because in practice there appears to be no rhyme or reason to whether or not they require the data plan or not when you call up with any given phone. Smiley Happy

 

Of course if you want to say its a horrible policy, with an even worse execution, I would be in complete agreement. Smiley Happy 


Besides the fact that I disagree with the policy, or the fact that it leaves a lot to question, what was said above about the only reason why someone would own an unbranded and unlocked device is to "beat the system", is false. 

 

 


VydorScope wrote:
No, he is pointing out clearly that a smart phone is a smart phone regardless if its unbranded/unlocked/etc. Branding and Locking are not conditions of the agreement, only the designation "smart"

 

Now, its really a totally pointless debate because in practice there appears to be no rhyme or reason to whether or not they require the data plan or not when you call up with any given phone. Smiley Happy

 

Of course if you want to say its a horrible policy, with an even worse execution, I would be in complete agreement. Smiley Happy 


Besides the fact that I disagree with the policy, or the fact that it leaves a lot to question, what was said above about the only reason why someone would own an unbranded and unlocked device is to "beat the system", is false. 

 

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

18 of 114 (16,226 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2010 8:01:30 AM
0
(0)
Professor
Edited by Glomag on May 25, 2010 at 10:13:47 AM

PhoneScoop wrote:

Irish Rose wrote:

 


VydorScope wrote:

It has been posted a bunch of times on these forums already, its on their website and its in the contract you agree to when you get service now. I find it hard to believe you actually looked if you have not seen it. 

 

From their terms of service... 

 

Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices, including iPhones and other designated smartphones. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using an iPhone or other designated smartphone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

 

Simply put anything they designate a smartphone requires the data plan. Pure and simple. However enforcement is very much in variance. 


Yup, I saw this, now show me where in that paragraph, where it says that "unlocked & unbranded" devices are designated as smartphones and require a data plan. Ya know what? You can't, because it's NOT there, period!!! Smiley Wink

 


It doesn't matter whether unlocked or unbranded. If the manufacturer deems that device as a "smartphone" therefore it is such. A smartphone is a smartphone no matter what carrier it is. Such as a rose is still a rose even if called by another name. A Ford is still a Ford even if you unbrand it by taking off all the dealer and manufacturer logos. You can call it a Toyota but in reality..it's still a Ford. A smartphone can be from another provider and be unlocked or "unbranded" (which unbranded only really means it doesn't have an AT&T or Cingular logo) but it's still a smartphone. Just someone tryna beat the system or actually proving a VALID point by finding a loophole in the terms of service. Nothing like finding a loophole is it. {Uncalled for comment edited}


 

 

 


While it is pretty obvious what the intent is, there is still lacks a certain degree of clarity. Consider what AT&T says is a smartphone in the answer center;

 

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&loca...

 

The problem is the line has become blurred. You can look at some of the Quick Messaging Devices and find that they exhibit many, if not all, of the characteristics of a smartphone. Some even have full HTML browsers. I had a rep tell me,  before the Nov 1 switching rule went into effect, that data blocks would be allowed on place of the $30 data plan for non subsidized phones. I have seen posts here where there a cases that this has been allowed. However, there is nothing official from AT&T. Some simple statements detailing this and if phones classified by other carriers will be classified the same by AT&T would go ways in helping with the clarity issue. As it stands now, I'm still waiting to see that full list of designated devices, not just the list of devices they sell.


PhoneScoop wrote:

Irish Rose wrote:

 


VydorScope wrote:

It has been posted a bunch of times on these forums already, its on their website and its in the contract you agree to when you get service now. I find it hard to believe you actually looked if you have not seen it. 

 

From their terms of service... 

 

Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices, including iPhones and other designated smartphones. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using an iPhone or other designated smartphone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

 

Simply put anything they designate a smartphone requires the data plan. Pure and simple. However enforcement is very much in variance. 


Yup, I saw this, now show me where in that paragraph, where it says that "unlocked & unbranded" devices are designated as smartphones and require a data plan. Ya know what? You can't, because it's NOT there, period!!! Smiley Wink

 


It doesn't matter whether unlocked or unbranded. If the manufacturer deems that device as a "smartphone" therefore it is such. A smartphone is a smartphone no matter what carrier it is. Such as a rose is still a rose even if called by another name. A Ford is still a Ford even if you unbrand it by taking off all the dealer and manufacturer logos. You can call it a Toyota but in reality..it's still a Ford. A smartphone can be from another provider and be unlocked or "unbranded" (which unbranded only really means it doesn't have an AT&T or Cingular logo) but it's still a smartphone. Just someone tryna beat the system or actually proving a VALID point by finding a loophole in the terms of service. Nothing like finding a loophole is it. {Uncalled for comment edited}


 

 

 


While it is pretty obvious what the intent is, there is still lacks a certain degree of clarity. Consider what AT&T says is a smartphone in the answer center;

 

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB101001&isSrch=Yes

 

The problem is the line has become blurred. You can look at some of the Quick Messaging Devices and find that they exhibit many, if not all, of the characteristics of a smartphone. Some even have full HTML browsers. I had a rep tell me,  before the Nov 1 switching rule went into effect, that data blocks would be allowed on place of the $30 data plan for non subsidized phones. I have seen posts here where there a cases that this has been allowed. However, there is nothing official from AT&T. Some simple statements detailing this and if phones classified by other carriers will be classified the same by AT&T would go ways in helping with the clarity issue. As it stands now, I'm still waiting to see that full list of designated devices, not just the list of devices they sell.

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

[ Edited ]
19 of 114 (16,176 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2010 11:06:02 AM
0
(0)
Guru

The biggest issue at hand is how broad is ATT's definition of "smartphone" and how long till "Insert name of phone here" is considered a smartphone and thus requiring the $30 data plan.

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

The biggest issue at hand is how broad is ATT's definition of "smartphone" and how long till "Insert name of phone here" is considered a smartphone and thus requiring the $30 data plan.

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

20 of 114 (16,149 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2010 3:49:33 PM
0
(0)
Guru

Irish Rose wrote:

 


PhoneScoop wrote:
It doesn't matter whether unlocked or unbranded. If the manufacturer deems that device as a "smartphone" therefore it is such. A smartphone is a smartphone no matter what carrier it is. Such as a rose is still a rose even if called by another name. A Ford is still a Ford even if you unbrand it by taking off all the dealer and manufacturer logos. You can call it a Toyota but in reality..it's still a Ford. A smartphone can be from another provider and be unlocked or "unbranded" (which unbranded only really means it doesn't have an AT&T or Cingular logo) but it's still a smartphone. Just someone tryna beat the system or actually proving a VALID point by finding a loophole in the terms of service. Nothing like finding a loophole is it.{Uncalled for comment edited}

 

You don't know what you are even talking about here, and make absolutely no sense at all. So by your logic here, EVERYONE that is using an unbranded and unlocked smartphone is just trying to beat the system?  You seem to be forgetting that not everyone wants to be locked down to a device that they don't like, or care for. *cough* *cough* Like AT&T's so called first Android phone, which just happens to be the only one that AT&T sells........ {Uncalled for comment edited} 

 


I actually make GREAT sense. COMMON Sense @ that. It's the manufacturers who deem these phones as smartphones, not the carriers. Blame them, not ANY carrier let alone AT&T. No where in my post did it reference ANYONE trying to beat the system. If anyone feels guilty or offended by my original msg, then apparently the shoe fits and they "may" have been trying to do so, but I never said it. I never even made mention of it. The only thing I said is everyone is saying it's AT&T who deems the phones as smartphones but it's not. A truck is deemed a truck by society. It is deemed a Ford by the manufacturer so society can either accept it as a Ford or say otherwise. That's a great reference in my opinion. We all should direct our focus to the manufacturers to provide phones that match the characteristics of these "wanted smartphones" but are deemed as basic phones to prevent the providers from "milking us" by "forcing" unwanted data plans down our throats. Apparently no change will come til the manufactuers' pockets are hurt because no one will buy their phones & they'll make changes to either the phones or the carriers they supply them to.

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Irish Rose wrote:

 


PhoneScoop wrote:
It doesn't matter whether unlocked or unbranded. If the manufacturer deems that device as a "smartphone" therefore it is such. A smartphone is a smartphone no matter what carrier it is. Such as a rose is still a rose even if called by another name. A Ford is still a Ford even if you unbrand it by taking off all the dealer and manufacturer logos. You can call it a Toyota but in reality..it's still a Ford. A smartphone can be from another provider and be unlocked or "unbranded" (which unbranded only really means it doesn't have an AT&T or Cingular logo) but it's still a smartphone. Just someone tryna beat the system or actually proving a VALID point by finding a loophole in the terms of service. Nothing like finding a loophole is it.{Uncalled for comment edited}

 

You don't know what you are even talking about here, and make absolutely no sense at all. So by your logic here, EVERYONE that is using an unbranded and unlocked smartphone is just trying to beat the system?  You seem to be forgetting that not everyone wants to be locked down to a device that they don't like, or care for. *cough* *cough* Like AT&T's so called first Android phone, which just happens to be the only one that AT&T sells........ {Uncalled for comment edited} 

 


I actually make GREAT sense. COMMON Sense @ that. It's the manufacturers who deem these phones as smartphones, not the carriers. Blame them, not ANY carrier let alone AT&T. No where in my post did it reference ANYONE trying to beat the system. If anyone feels guilty or offended by my original msg, then apparently the shoe fits and they "may" have been trying to do so, but I never said it. I never even made mention of it. The only thing I said is everyone is saying it's AT&T who deems the phones as smartphones but it's not. A truck is deemed a truck by society. It is deemed a Ford by the manufacturer so society can either accept it as a Ford or say otherwise. That's a great reference in my opinion. We all should direct our focus to the manufacturers to provide phones that match the characteristics of these "wanted smartphones" but are deemed as basic phones to prevent the providers from "milking us" by "forcing" unwanted data plans down our throats. Apparently no change will come til the manufactuers' pockets are hurt because no one will buy their phones & they'll make changes to either the phones or the carriers they supply them to.

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

21 of 114 (15,312 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2010 4:03:28 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by dmapr on May 25, 2010 at 4:04:07 PM

PhoneScoop wrote:

 

I actually make GREAT sense. COMMON Sense @ that. It's the manufacturers who deem these phones as smartphones, not the carriers. Blame them, not ANY carrier let alone AT&T. No where in my post did it reference ANYONE trying to beat the system. If anyone feels guilty or offended by my original msg, then apparently the shoe fits and they "may" have been trying to do so, but I never said it. I never even made mention of it. The only thing I said is everyone is saying it's AT&T who deems the phones as smartphones but it's not. A truck is deemed a truck by society. It is deemed a Ford by the manufacturer so society can either accept it as a Ford or say otherwise. That's a great reference in my opinion. We all should direct our focus to the manufacturers to provide phones that match the characteristics of these "wanted smartphones" but are deemed as basic phones to prevent the providers from "milking us" by "forcing" unwanted data plans down our throats. Apparently no change will come til the manufactuers' pockets are hurt because no one will buy their phones & they'll make changes to either the phones or the carriers they supply them to.


My take on the matter is that it doesn't matter whether the phone is considered a smartphone by the manufacturer, AT&T or anyone else. What matters is that the wording is “designated smartphones”, not “smartphones”, “all smartphones” and so on. So as long as the word designated stays it means that the phones not explicitly on the designated list are not subject to these terms. Since you brought up the car analogy — a hybrid is a hybrid and Toyota Prius is a hybrid, yet only designated hybrids are exempt from the carpool lane restrictions in California. Drive there in a non-designated Toyota Prius next to a designated one and good luck fighting the ticket…

 


PhoneScoop wrote:

 

I actually make GREAT sense. COMMON Sense @ that. It's the manufacturers who deem these phones as smartphones, not the carriers. Blame them, not ANY carrier let alone AT&T. No where in my post did it reference ANYONE trying to beat the system. If anyone feels guilty or offended by my original msg, then apparently the shoe fits and they "may" have been trying to do so, but I never said it. I never even made mention of it. The only thing I said is everyone is saying it's AT&T who deems the phones as smartphones but it's not. A truck is deemed a truck by society. It is deemed a Ford by the manufacturer so society can either accept it as a Ford or say otherwise. That's a great reference in my opinion. We all should direct our focus to the manufacturers to provide phones that match the characteristics of these "wanted smartphones" but are deemed as basic phones to prevent the providers from "milking us" by "forcing" unwanted data plans down our throats. Apparently no change will come til the manufactuers' pockets are hurt because no one will buy their phones & they'll make changes to either the phones or the carriers they supply them to.


My take on the matter is that it doesn't matter whether the phone is considered a smartphone by the manufacturer, AT&T or anyone else. What matters is that the wording is “designated smartphones”, not “smartphones”, “all smartphones” and so on. So as long as the word designated stays it means that the phones not explicitly on the designated list are not subject to these terms. Since you brought up the car analogy — a hybrid is a hybrid and Toyota Prius is a hybrid, yet only designated hybrids are exempt from the carpool lane restrictions in California. Drive there in a non-designated Toyota Prius next to a designated one and good luck fighting the ticket…

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

[ Edited ]
22 of 114 (15,308 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2010 5:07:13 PM
0
(0)
Guru

dmapr wrote:

PhoneScoop wrote:

 

I actually make GREAT sense. COMMON Sense @ that. It's the manufacturers who deem these phones as smartphones, not the carriers. Blame them, not ANY carrier let alone AT&T. No where in my post did it reference ANYONE trying to beat the system. If anyone feels guilty or offended by my original msg, then apparently the shoe fits and they "may" have been trying to do so, but I never said it. I never even made mention of it. The only thing I said is everyone is saying it's AT&T who deems the phones as smartphones but it's not. A truck is deemed a truck by society. It is deemed a Ford by the manufacturer so society can either accept it as a Ford or say otherwise. That's a great reference in my opinion. We all should direct our focus to the manufacturers to provide phones that match the characteristics of these "wanted smartphones" but are deemed as basic phones to prevent the providers from "milking us" by "forcing" unwanted data plans down our throats. Apparently no change will come til the manufactuers' pockets are hurt because no one will buy their phones & they'll make changes to either the phones or the carriers they supply them to.


My take on the matter is that it doesn't matter whether the phone is considered a smartphone by the manufacturer, AT&T or anyone else. What matters is that the wording is “designated smartphones”, not “smartphones”, “all smartphones” and so on. So as long as the word designated stays it means that the phones not explicitly on the designated list are not subject to these terms. Since you brought up the car analogy — a hybrid is a hybrid and Toyota Prius is a hybrid, yet only designated hybrids are exempt from the carpool lane restrictions in California. Drive there in a non-designated Toyota Prius next to a designated one and good luck fighting the ticket…

 


What the heck is this car analogy. I used something basic and you come up with something from left center field lmbo. But in that case, same as the mandatory data plan requirement. While Toyota DESIGNATES the Prius as a hybrid, many say it's just a "car". So although some may not use it as a hybrid, it is still a hybrid right or wrong. But if Toyota Prius's are designated hybrids, why would it matter about one being designated or not. And also, this is CA we're talking about. The land of the infamous "plea" commercials for people to come and stimulate the economy of the POOR state that can't pay their debts. You're talking a somewhat different analogy here believe or most likely you won't. Good luck fighting the data plan on a DESIGNATED smartphone.

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

dmapr wrote:

PhoneScoop wrote:

 

I actually make GREAT sense. COMMON Sense @ that. It's the manufacturers who deem these phones as smartphones, not the carriers. Blame them, not ANY carrier let alone AT&T. No where in my post did it reference ANYONE trying to beat the system. If anyone feels guilty or offended by my original msg, then apparently the shoe fits and they "may" have been trying to do so, but I never said it. I never even made mention of it. The only thing I said is everyone is saying it's AT&T who deems the phones as smartphones but it's not. A truck is deemed a truck by society. It is deemed a Ford by the manufacturer so society can either accept it as a Ford or say otherwise. That's a great reference in my opinion. We all should direct our focus to the manufacturers to provide phones that match the characteristics of these "wanted smartphones" but are deemed as basic phones to prevent the providers from "milking us" by "forcing" unwanted data plans down our throats. Apparently no change will come til the manufactuers' pockets are hurt because no one will buy their phones & they'll make changes to either the phones or the carriers they supply them to.


My take on the matter is that it doesn't matter whether the phone is considered a smartphone by the manufacturer, AT&T or anyone else. What matters is that the wording is “designated smartphones”, not “smartphones”, “all smartphones” and so on. So as long as the word designated stays it means that the phones not explicitly on the designated list are not subject to these terms. Since you brought up the car analogy — a hybrid is a hybrid and Toyota Prius is a hybrid, yet only designated hybrids are exempt from the carpool lane restrictions in California. Drive there in a non-designated Toyota Prius next to a designated one and good luck fighting the ticket…

 


What the heck is this car analogy. I used something basic and you come up with something from left center field lmbo. But in that case, same as the mandatory data plan requirement. While Toyota DESIGNATES the Prius as a hybrid, many say it's just a "car". So although some may not use it as a hybrid, it is still a hybrid right or wrong. But if Toyota Prius's are designated hybrids, why would it matter about one being designated or not. And also, this is CA we're talking about. The land of the infamous "plea" commercials for people to come and stimulate the economy of the POOR state that can't pay their debts. You're talking a somewhat different analogy here believe or most likely you won't. Good luck fighting the data plan on a DESIGNATED smartphone.

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

23 of 114 (15,293 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2010 11:09:14 PM
0
(0)
Contributor

Today I and my couple of friends got sms regarding data plan.  I am using iphone from more than an year.

Well I bought it on ebay and my friend his contract is over.  The another friend he bought for full price.  So we all dont have data plan.  I guess we just use them without internet. 

 

Now the sms from at&t says we are charging you from yesterday!  and all iphones need to have data plans Smiley Very Happy

 

I am getting laugh.  Well from when at&t decided this?   If I had taken smart phone from at&t then I will take the data plan.  Otherwise I dont need it.   At&t cannot decide what phone I am going to have and they should simply offer plan when a customer already has a smart phone already.

 

I guess the mind is working fast how to extract money.   So i have inquired and tmobile has not such thing.

 

So I will make sure that At&t dont charge me for one month and will change the sim to old phone.

Will wait for one month to see if there is any change of policy.  I guess will give some time for them.  Otherwise they will lose customers, who were there from more than 6 years.  Normally I dont switch company but I guess its time for that.   I will also make sure that all my friends know about it.  

 

Mister Steve jobs and at&t have become smarter in extracting money.  haha but it wont work with me.

I will make sure this kind of things gets eliminated in free market.  Those who reads this please change your plan to Tmobile or verizon.  They dont have any such constraints.   Fight against this kind of forced charging...

 

bye

 

 

 

Today I and my couple of friends got sms regarding data plan.  I am using iphone from more than an year.

Well I bought it on ebay and my friend his contract is over.  The another friend he bought for full price.  So we all dont have data plan.  I guess we just use them without internet. 

 

Now the sms from at&t says we are charging you from yesterday!  and all iphones need to have data plans Smiley Very Happy

 

I am getting laugh.  Well from when at&t decided this?   If I had taken smart phone from at&t then I will take the data plan.  Otherwise I dont need it.   At&t cannot decide what phone I am going to have and they should simply offer plan when a customer already has a smart phone already.

 

I guess the mind is working fast how to extract money.   So i have inquired and tmobile has not such thing.

 

So I will make sure that At&t dont charge me for one month and will change the sim to old phone.

Will wait for one month to see if there is any change of policy.  I guess will give some time for them.  Otherwise they will lose customers, who were there from more than 6 years.  Normally I dont switch company but I guess its time for that.   I will also make sure that all my friends know about it.  

 

Mister Steve jobs and at&t have become smarter in extracting money.  haha but it wont work with me.

I will make sure this kind of things gets eliminated in free market.  Those who reads this please change your plan to Tmobile or verizon.  They dont have any such constraints.   Fight against this kind of forced charging...

 

bye

 

 

 

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

24 of 114 (15,271 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2010 3:50:50 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

Actually I am pretty sure TMobile does, and I know for a fact Verizon does... 

Actually I am pretty sure TMobile does, and I know for a fact Verizon does... 

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

25 of 114 (15,261 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2010 5:22:10 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on May 26, 2010 at 5:23:12 AM

 


VydorScope wrote:

Actually I am pretty sure TMobile does, and I know for a fact Verizon does... 


Correct - the way I see things at&t's policy isn't any different than T-Mo's (or Verizon's for that matter).  At&t only "designates" the models that they carry as being smartphones and the terms of service state that the mandatory data plan requirement applies to "designated" smartphones.  T-Mo requires the smartphone data plan only for their own branded models.  So the policies are the same from where I sit.  (And to my knowledge it's difficult to bring your own device to Verizon so their policy is inherently virtually the same as well.)

 

                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

 


VydorScope wrote:

Actually I am pretty sure TMobile does, and I know for a fact Verizon does... 


Correct - the way I see things at&t's policy isn't any different than T-Mo's (or Verizon's for that matter).  At&t only "designates" the models that they carry as being smartphones and the terms of service state that the mandatory data plan requirement applies to "designated" smartphones.  T-Mo requires the smartphone data plan only for their own branded models.  So the policies are the same from where I sit.  (And to my knowledge it's difficult to bring your own device to Verizon so their policy is inherently virtually the same as well.)

 

                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

[ Edited ]
26 of 114 (15,255 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2010 7:56:39 AM
0
(0)
Guru

srinidhi1234 wrote:

Today I and my couple of friends got sms regarding data plan.  I am using iphone from more than an year.

Well I bought it on ebay and my friend his contract is over.  The another friend he bought for full price.  So we all dont have data plan.  I guess we just use them without internet. 

 

Now the sms from at&t says we are charging you from yesterday!  and all iphones need to have data plans Smiley Very Happy

 

I am getting laugh.  Well from when at&t decided this?   If I had taken smart phone from at&t then I will take the data plan.  Otherwise I dont need it.   At&t cannot decide what phone I am going to have and they should simply offer plan when a customer already has a smart phone already.

 

I guess the mind is working fast how to extract money.   So i have inquired and tmobile has not such thing.

 

So I will make sure that At&t dont charge me for one month and will change the sim to old phone.

Will wait for one month to see if there is any change of policy.  I guess will give some time for them.  Otherwise they will lose customers, who were there from more than 6 years.  Normally I dont switch company but I guess its time for that.   I will also make sure that all my friends know about it.  

 

Mister Steve jobs and at&t have become smarter in extracting money.  haha but it wont work with me.

I will make sure this kind of things gets eliminated in free market.  Those who reads this please change your plan to Tmobile or verizon.  They dont have any such constraints.   Fight against this kind of forced charging...

 

bye

 

 

 


The iPhones have ALWAYS required the Data Plan with AT&T, since the 1st gen one, you just got caught because you was using an iPhone without it, that's all.

 

Doesn't matter if you buy it from eBay, craiglist, etc. You're using an iPhone, you pay for the Data Plan. Period.

 

You don't need or want data? Don't use an iPhone.

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

srinidhi1234 wrote:

Today I and my couple of friends got sms regarding data plan.  I am using iphone from more than an year.

Well I bought it on ebay and my friend his contract is over.  The another friend he bought for full price.  So we all dont have data plan.  I guess we just use them without internet. 

 

Now the sms from at&t says we are charging you from yesterday!  and all iphones need to have data plans Smiley Very Happy

 

I am getting laugh.  Well from when at&t decided this?   If I had taken smart phone from at&t then I will take the data plan.  Otherwise I dont need it.   At&t cannot decide what phone I am going to have and they should simply offer plan when a customer already has a smart phone already.

 

I guess the mind is working fast how to extract money.   So i have inquired and tmobile has not such thing.

 

So I will make sure that At&t dont charge me for one month and will change the sim to old phone.

Will wait for one month to see if there is any change of policy.  I guess will give some time for them.  Otherwise they will lose customers, who were there from more than 6 years.  Normally I dont switch company but I guess its time for that.   I will also make sure that all my friends know about it.  

 

Mister Steve jobs and at&t have become smarter in extracting money.  haha but it wont work with me.

I will make sure this kind of things gets eliminated in free market.  Those who reads this please change your plan to Tmobile or verizon.  They dont have any such constraints.   Fight against this kind of forced charging...

 

bye

 

 

 


The iPhones have ALWAYS required the Data Plan with AT&T, since the 1st gen one, you just got caught because you was using an iPhone without it, that's all.

 

Doesn't matter if you buy it from eBay, craiglist, etc. You're using an iPhone, you pay for the Data Plan. Period.

 

You don't need or want data? Don't use an iPhone.

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

27 of 114 (15,241 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2010 9:44:31 AM
0
(0)
Mentor

nice why is everyone so touchy this smartphone stuff. make this forum funny at least

nice why is everyone so touchy this smartphone stuff. make this forum funny at least

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

28 of 114 (15,228 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2010 4:33:42 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Expert

PhoneScoop wrote:

dmapr wrote:

What the heck is this car analogy. I used something basic and you come up with something from left center field lmbo. But in that case, same as the mandatory data plan requirement. While Toyota DESIGNATES the Prius as a hybrid, many say it's just a "car". So although some may not use it as a hybrid, it is still a hybrid right or wrong. But if Toyota Prius's are designated hybrids, why would it matter about one being designated or not. And also, this is CA we're talking about. The land of the infamous "plea" commercials for people to come and stimulate the economy of the POOR state that can't pay their debts. You're talking a somewhat different analogy here believe or most likely you won't. Good luck fighting the data plan on a DESIGNATED smartphone.


I was only stressing the importance of the word designated in the T&C. I'm not talking about fighting a data plan on a designated smartphone, I'm talking about fighting a data plan on a non-designated smartphone. If AT&T T&C stated that data plans are mandatory for all smartphones we wouldn't be having this argument. As long as English doesn't equate designated with all we have a case. Oh, and good luck adding a smartphone data plan to my Blue account Smiley Tongue


PhoneScoop wrote:

dmapr wrote:

What the heck is this car analogy. I used something basic and you come up with something from left center field lmbo. But in that case, same as the mandatory data plan requirement. While Toyota DESIGNATES the Prius as a hybrid, many say it's just a "car". So although some may not use it as a hybrid, it is still a hybrid right or wrong. But if Toyota Prius's are designated hybrids, why would it matter about one being designated or not. And also, this is CA we're talking about. The land of the infamous "plea" commercials for people to come and stimulate the economy of the POOR state that can't pay their debts. You're talking a somewhat different analogy here believe or most likely you won't. Good luck fighting the data plan on a DESIGNATED smartphone.


I was only stressing the importance of the word designated in the T&C. I'm not talking about fighting a data plan on a designated smartphone, I'm talking about fighting a data plan on a non-designated smartphone. If AT&T T&C stated that data plans are mandatory for all smartphones we wouldn't be having this argument. As long as English doesn't equate designated with all we have a case. Oh, and good luck adding a smartphone data plan to my Blue account Smiley Tongue

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

29 of 114 (15,173 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2010 4:49:46 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on May 26, 2010 at 4:53:17 PM

PhoneScoop wrote:
I actually make GREAT sense. COMMON Sense @ that. It's the manufacturers who deem these phones as smartphones, not the carriers. Blame them, not ANY carrier let alone AT&T. No where in my post did it reference ANYONE trying to beat the system. If anyone feels guilty or offended by my original msg, then apparently the shoe fits and they "may" have been trying to do so, but I never said it. I never even made mention of it. The only thing I said is everyone is saying it's AT&T who deems the phones as smartphones but it's not. A truck is deemed a truck by society. It is deemed a Ford by the manufacturer so society can either accept it as a Ford or say otherwise. That's a great reference in my opinion. We all should direct our focus to the manufacturers to provide phones that match the characteristics of these "wanted smartphones" but are deemed as basic phones to prevent the providers from "milking us" by "forcing" unwanted data plans down our throats. Apparently no change will come til the manufactuers' pockets are hurt because no one will buy their phones & they'll make changes to either the phones or the carriers they supply them to.

Actually I would disagree - Nokia defined the N75 as "a smart multimedia 3G folding phone" and they defined the 6650 as "a GSM/WCDMA dual mode portable multimedia computer".  Both are fairly recent Symbian devices carried by at&t - yet at&t also classified both as a feature phone.  The manufacturer may have their own definition re: what comprises a "smartphone" - but the carrier's classification can obviously be different. Smiley Wink 

                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson


PhoneScoop wrote:
I actually make GREAT sense. COMMON Sense @ that. It's the manufacturers who deem these phones as smartphones, not the carriers. Blame them, not ANY carrier let alone AT&T. No where in my post did it reference ANYONE trying to beat the system. If anyone feels guilty or offended by my original msg, then apparently the shoe fits and they "may" have been trying to do so, but I never said it. I never even made mention of it. The only thing I said is everyone is saying it's AT&T who deems the phones as smartphones but it's not. A truck is deemed a truck by society. It is deemed a Ford by the manufacturer so society can either accept it as a Ford or say otherwise. That's a great reference in my opinion. We all should direct our focus to the manufacturers to provide phones that match the characteristics of these "wanted smartphones" but are deemed as basic phones to prevent the providers from "milking us" by "forcing" unwanted data plans down our throats. Apparently no change will come til the manufactuers' pockets are hurt because no one will buy their phones & they'll make changes to either the phones or the carriers they supply them to.

Actually I would disagree - Nokia defined the N75 as "a smart multimedia 3G folding phone" and they defined the 6650 as "a GSM/WCDMA dual mode portable multimedia computer".  Both are fairly recent Symbian devices carried by at&t - yet at&t also classified both as a feature phone.  The manufacturer may have their own definition re: what comprises a "smartphone" - but the carrier's classification can obviously be different. Smiley Wink 

                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Data plan with unlocked phone

[ Edited ]
30 of 114 (15,169 Views)
Share this post
Share this post