Data package renewal with different package, rollover?

Contributor

Data package renewal with different package, rollover?

Hi, 

I dont want to renew my data package because it is much more than I needed, I wonder if the ramaining data would rollover, in case I buy a smaller data package?

Message 1 of 17 (471 Views)
Master

Re: Data package renewal with different package, rollover?

Yes, as long as you purchase another data package before the expiration date of the existing one, your remaining data balance will rollover.

I use this as a means of reducing the average cost of using data on my prepaid plan - buy a larger package than I really need one month, then use it down for the next several months by moving back down in the size of the package that I purchase. Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 2 of 17 (462 Views)
Scholar

hme83 wrote:

Yes, as long as you purchase another data package before the expiration date of the existing one, your remaining data balance will rollover.

I use this as a means of reducing the average cost of using data on my prepaid plan - buy a larger package than I really need one month, then use it down for the next several months by moving back down in the size of the package that I purchase. Smiley Happy

+1. I buy the largest package (it's usually cheapest per MB) and then just roll over data by renewing with the lowest package.

$25/500MB = $0.05/MB

$15/100MB = $0.15/MB

$5/10MB = $0.50/MB

If you use 100MB per month, a lot of people might think that the $15/100MB package is the way to go ($15 * 5 = $75; 100MB * 5 = 500MB; average cost: $0.15/MB). However, getting the $25/500MB for the first month and then topping up with $5/10MB for the next 4 months is actually cheaper ($25 + $5 * 4 = $45; 500MB + 10MB * 4 = 540MB; average cost: $0.08/MB).

Message 3 of 17 (454 Views)

Great option!

one more question to this. Is the roll over compounded every month. 

Ie, 

1st month buy 500, use 100 = 400 left

2nd month buy 10 (+ 400 rollover), use 5 = 405 left over

does the entire 405 roll over to the next month???

Message 4 of 17 (435 Views)
Scholar

yungwunn911 wrote:

Great option!

Ie, 

Yep. That it does. I don't know if there's a hard limit on how long you can keep the rollover data. I didn't see any verbiage in the Plan Terms pertaining to this. There's a cap of 1.5GB for rollover data, but otherwise, there's no length of time mentioned. On postpaid, I believe rollover minutes expire if they're not used after 12 billing periods.

Message 5 of 17 (429 Views)
Master

yungwunn911 wrote:

Great option!

Ie, 

Yes. The 405MB of data will roll over to the next month(s) as long as you purchase another data package before the outstanding balance expires, as hme83 has indicated above.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 6 of 17 (425 Views)

One last question, do minutes rollover in the same fashion?
Message 7 of 17 (413 Views)

One last question, do minutes rollover in the same fashion? If on the 250 min/unlimited texting plan.
Message 8 of 17 (412 Views)
Scholar

Nope. Unfortunately, minutes don't roll
over.
Message 9 of 17 (408 Views)
Contributor

CS at AT&T has led me to believe that the data package is for the month. If I purchase a different size package before the end of the 30 days, the size of my new package will replace the amount of package from the prior month.

I'm wanting to be able to keep my unused data package.
For those of you that are keeping your unused data by purchasing another package before the end of 30 days, does it matter if you have a true "smartphone" or not?
Message 10 of 17 (338 Views)
Contributor

Limited Feature Packages: A package that contains a specific allotment of data (in megabytes) or messages is depleted when you use the entire allotment. Renew package before 30-day period expires and any unused service will roll over to your new 30-day package period.

Is the above (limited feature package) still in existance? Perhaps this is what some of you have that are able to keep your unused data? I
Message 11 of 17 (322 Views)
Master

No. The type of phone, smartphone or feature phone, does not matter. As long as you renew your existing data package (if you have one) before the 30-day expiration date, the unused data portion will roll over and be added to the amount that was just added.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 12 of 17 (321 Views)
Master

cajun-crazy wrote:
Limited Feature Packages: A package that contains a specific allotment of data (in megabytes) or messages is depleted when you use the entire allotment. Renew package before 30-day period expires and any unused service will roll over to your new 30-day package period.

Is the above (limited feature package) still in existance? Perhaps this is what some of you have that are able to keep your unused data? I

The limited allotment data feature packages are still indicated as being available at at&t's website (link below), and I currently have the 10 MB for $5 on my account (purchased 100 MB many months ago and have just been renewing/rolling over with the $5/month option ever since).  Additionally, I've used it with both a feature phone and a smartphone - no difference whatsoever.

PayGo

I suspect the customer service rep you visited with was simply uninformed re: the rollover for unused feature allotments.  It doesn't apply to unlimited feature amounts for obvious reaons. Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 13 of 17 (310 Views)
Contributor

Do the text messages rollover in the same way as data?
For example if I buy a 1000 msg package and use 500 and then i buy a 200,
do i get 700 in total?

Thanks
Message 14 of 17 (283 Views)
Master

lucadepy wrote:
Do the text messages rollover in the same way as data?
For example if I buy a 1000 msg package and use 500 and then i buy a 200,
do i get 700 in total?

Thanks

Yes - they do.  I do the same thing with my messaging package. Smiley Happy

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Message 15 of 17 (267 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support