Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 10, 2011
10:23:47 PM
View profile
Data package renewal with different package, rollover?

Hi, 

I dont want to renew my data package because it is much more than I needed, I wonder if the ramaining data would rollover, in case I buy a smaller data package?

Hi, 

I dont want to renew my data package because it is much more than I needed, I wonder if the ramaining data would rollover, in case I buy a smaller data package?

Data package renewal with different package, rollover?

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 4:20:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes, as long as you purchase another data package before the expiration date of the existing one, your remaining data balance will rollover.

I use this as a means of reducing the average cost of using data on my prepaid plan - buy a larger package than I really need one month, then use it down for the next several months by moving back down in the size of the package that I purchase. Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Yes, as long as you purchase another data package before the expiration date of the existing one, your remaining data balance will rollover.

I use this as a means of reducing the average cost of using data on my prepaid plan - buy a larger package than I really need one month, then use it down for the next several months by moving back down in the size of the package that I purchase. Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Data package renewal with different package, rollover?

2 of 17 (441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 8:24:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

hme83 wrote:

+1. I buy the largest package (it's usually cheapest per MB) and then just roll over data by renewing with the lowest package.

$25/500MB = $0.05/MB

$15/100MB = $0.15/MB

$5/10MB = $0.50/MB

If you use 100MB per month, a lot of people might think that the $15/100MB package is the way to go ($15 * 5 = $75; 100MB * 5 = 500MB; average cost: $0.15/MB). However, getting the $25/500MB for the first month and then topping up with $5/10MB for the next 4 months is actually cheaper ($25 + $5 * 4 = $45; 500MB + 10MB * 4 = 540MB; average cost: $0.08/MB).

hme83 wrote:

+1. I buy the largest package (it's usually cheapest per MB) and then just roll over data by renewing with the lowest package.

$25/500MB = $0.05/MB

$15/100MB = $0.15/MB

$5/10MB = $0.50/MB

If you use 100MB per month, a lot of people might think that the $15/100MB package is the way to go ($15 * 5 = $75; 100MB * 5 = 500MB; average cost: $0.15/MB). However, getting the $25/500MB for the first month and then topping up with $5/10MB for the next 4 months is actually cheaper ($25 + $5 * 4 = $45; 500MB + 10MB * 4 = 540MB; average cost: $0.08/MB).

3 of 17 (433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 2:12:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

Great option!

one more question to this. Is the roll over compounded every month. 

Ie, 

1st month buy 500, use 100 = 400 left

2nd month buy 10 (+ 400 rollover), use 5 = 405 left over

does the entire 405 roll over to the next month???

Great option!

Ie, 

4 of 17 (414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 5:06:54 PM
(0)
Scholar

yungwunn911 wrote:

Great option!

Ie, 

Yep. That it does. I don't know if there's a hard limit on how long you can keep the rollover data. I didn't see any verbiage in the Plan Terms pertaining to this. There's a cap of 1.5GB for rollover data, but otherwise, there's no length of time mentioned. On postpaid, I believe rollover minutes expire if they're not used after 12 billing periods.

yungwunn911 wrote:

Great option!

Ie, 

Yep. That it does. I don't know if there's a hard limit on how long you can keep the rollover data. I didn't see any verbiage in the Plan Terms pertaining to this. There's a cap of 1.5GB for rollover data, but otherwise, there's no length of time mentioned. On postpaid, I believe rollover minutes expire if they're not used after 12 billing periods.

5 of 17 (408 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 5:44:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

yungwunn911 wrote:

Great option!

Ie, 

Yes. The 405MB of data will roll over to the next month(s) as long as you purchase another data package before the outstanding balance expires, as hme83 has indicated above.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

yungwunn911 wrote:

Great option!

Ie, 

Yes. The 405MB of data will roll over to the next month(s) as long as you purchase another data package before the outstanding balance expires, as hme83 has indicated above.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 17 (404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 12:21:40 PM
(0)
Tutor
One last question, do minutes rollover in the same fashion?
One last question, do minutes rollover in the same fashion?

7 of 17 (392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 12:22:34 PM
(0)
Tutor
One last question, do minutes rollover in the same fashion? If on the 250 min/unlimited texting plan.
One last question, do minutes rollover in the same fashion? If on the 250 min/unlimited texting plan.

8 of 17 (391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 12:47:24 PM
(0)
Scholar
Nope. Unfortunately, minutes don't roll
over.
Nope. Unfortunately, minutes don't roll
over.

9 of 17 (387 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2011 11:42:35 AM
(0)
Contributor
CS at AT&T has led me to believe that the data package is for the month. If I purchase a different size package before the end of the 30 days, the size of my new package will replace the amount of package from the prior month.

I'm wanting to be able to keep my unused data package.
For those of you that are keeping your unused data by purchasing another package before the end of 30 days, does it matter if you have a true "smartphone" or not?
CS at AT&T has led me to believe that the data package is for the month. If I purchase a different size package before the end of the 30 days, the size of my new package will replace the amount of package from the prior month.

I'm wanting to be able to keep my unused data package.
For those of you that are keeping your unused data by purchasing another package before the end of 30 days, does it matter if you have a true "smartphone" or not?

10 of 17 (317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2011 12:35:37 PM
(0)
Contributor
Limited Feature Packages: A package that contains a specific allotment of data (in megabytes) or messages is depleted when you use the entire allotment. Renew package before 30-day period expires and any unused service will roll over to your new 30-day package period.

Is the above (limited feature package) still in existance? Perhaps this is what some of you have that are able to keep your unused data? I
Limited Feature Packages: A package that contains a specific allotment of data (in megabytes) or messages is depleted when you use the entire allotment. Renew package before 30-day period expires and any unused service will roll over to your new 30-day package period.

Is the above (limited feature package) still in existance? Perhaps this is what some of you have that are able to keep your unused data? I

11 of 17 (301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2011 1:06:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
No. The type of phone, smartphone or feature phone, does not matter. As long as you renew your existing data package (if you have one) before the 30-day expiration date, the unused data portion will roll over and be added to the amount that was just added.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

No. The type of phone, smartphone or feature phone, does not matter. As long as you renew your existing data package (if you have one) before the 30-day expiration date, the unused data portion will roll over and be added to the amount that was just added.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

12 of 17 (300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2011 4:54:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

cajun-crazy wrote:

The limited allotment data feature packages are still indicated as being available at at&t's website (link below), and I currently have the 10 MB for $5 on my account (purchased 100 MB many months ago and have just been renewing/rolling over with the $5/month option ever since).  Additionally, I've used it with both a feature phone and a smartphone - no difference whatsoever.

PayGo

I suspect the customer service rep you visited with was simply uninformed re: the rollover for unused feature allotments.  It doesn't apply to unlimited feature amounts for obvious reaons. Smiley Happy

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

cajun-crazy wrote:

The limited allotment data feature packages are still indicated as being available at at&t's website (link below), and I currently have the 10 MB for $5 on my account (purchased 100 MB many months ago and have just been renewing/rolling over with the $5/month option ever since).  Additionally, I've used it with both a feature phone and a smartphone - no difference whatsoever.

PayGo

I suspect the customer service rep you visited with was simply uninformed re: the rollover for unused feature allotments.  It doesn't apply to unlimited feature amounts for obvious reaons. Smiley Happy

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

13 of 17 (289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 9:17:48 PM
(0)
Contributor
Do the text messages rollover in the same way as data?
For example if I buy a 1000 msg package and use 500 and then i buy a 200,
do i get 700 in total?

Thanks
do i get 700 in total?

Thanks

14 of 17 (262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 9:43:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

lucadepy wrote:
do i get 700 in total?

Thanks

Yes - they do.  I do the same thing with my messaging package. Smiley Happy

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

lucadepy wrote:
do i get 700 in total?

Thanks

Yes - they do.  I do the same thing with my messaging package. Smiley Happy

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

15 of 17 (246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2011 3:58:23 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by frank78 on Nov 7, 2011 at 4:03:17 AM

Hi all,

slightly different question on the same topic:

what happens if I use all of my GoPhone data package before the end of the 30 day period - can I simply purchase a new one or will I have to wait for the 30 days to end?

And another one: I just realize that when looking at the coverage map - there seems to be no 3G GoPhone coverage all over the west coast at all? Is that true??

Thanks!

Hi all,

slightly different question on the same topic:

what happens if I use all of my GoPhone data package before the end of the 30 day period - can I simply purchase a new one or will I have to wait for the 30 days to end?

And another one: I just realize that when looking at the coverage map - there seems to be no 3G GoPhone coverage all over the west coast at all? Is that true??

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
16 of 17 (229 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2011 4:24:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Nov 7, 2011 at 4:25:23 AM

You can buy a new data package when you deplete the current one - no need to wait for the original package's expiration date.  And you'll get a new 30 day period with the purchase of the new data package.

At&t's legend on the coverage viewer re: 3G service is ambiguous - but I believe their areas marked as requiring a 3G device may just mean that they don't have 2G service in those particular areas.  (I've never seen clarification by at&t, but have seen a number of posts out here that seem to support that interpretation.) I don't believe their intent is to imply the opposite - that those are the only areas where they have 3G coverage for prepaid service, so many areas of the west coast should receive 3G service on a prepaid basis. (I myself get 3G service with my prepaid plan and I'm not in an area where at&t indicates a 3G device is necessary.)

It's more clear if you look at the data tab and drill down at least one step so you can see details with the expanded legend by coverage "type" - this is for post paid service; however, the only areas where at&t's prepaid customers don't have access to the network is in partner coverage areas.  So presumably you wouldn't have coverage at all on a prepaid plan in areas marked as "partner edge" or 'partner gprs" (or "no service"), but you should get 3G coverage in the "mobile broadband" or "4G" areas as long as you have a 3G capable device.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

You can buy a new data package when you deplete the current one - no need to wait for the original package's expiration date.  And you'll get a new 30 day period with the purchase of the new data package.

At&t's legend on the coverage viewer re: 3G service is ambiguous - but I believe their areas marked as requiring a 3G device may just mean that they don't have 2G service in those particular areas.  (I've never seen clarification by at&t, but have seen a number of posts out here that seem to support that interpretation.) I don't believe their intent is to imply the opposite - that those are the only areas where they have 3G coverage for prepaid service, so many areas of the west coast should receive 3G service on a prepaid basis. (I myself get 3G service with my prepaid plan and I'm not in an area where at&t indicates a 3G device is necessary.)

It's more clear if you look at the data tab and drill down at least one step so you can see details with the expanded legend by coverage "type" - this is for post paid service; however, the only areas where at&t's prepaid customers don't have access to the network is in partner coverage areas.  So presumably you wouldn't have coverage at all on a prepaid plan in areas marked as "partner edge" or 'partner gprs" (or "no service"), but you should get 3G coverage in the "mobile broadband" or "4G" areas as long as you have a 3G capable device.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

[ Edited ]
17 of 17 (225 Views)