Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forums

Posted Apr 4, 2012
11:38:33 AM
View profile
Data only with monthly plans?

I just got a text from AT&T saying that data packages will only be available with monthly plans starting on 4/18!

Really? Why? (besides the whole wanting more money thing)

So I have to go from paying $25 every 3 months with $5 a month data to at least $25 a month plus data?

Wow, thanks for that.

81 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(81)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 7:26:47 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by hnzw_rui on Apr 11, 2012 at 7:27:56 AM

KenSimone wrote:

What I find most interesting about this is the poor what it's being handled by AT&T. The only communication has been via text. There's no direction to a web page with more details. Only two weeks notice. The only conclusion I can come to is that those running AT&T prepaid are on drugs. Especially frustrating is that AT&T sells prepaid smart phones. People purchased those w/ the good faith presumption that AT&T wouldn't radically change the game. They have.

Yep. Extremely poor handling on AT&T's part. By the way, I haven't received any text messages or email notifying me of this change on any of my 6 GoPhone lines - 4 of which have a data feature package add-on.

KenSimone wrote:

What I find most interesting about this is the poor what it's being handled by AT&T. The only communication has been via text. There's no direction to a web page with more details. Only two weeks notice. The only conclusion I can come to is that those running AT&T prepaid are on drugs. Especially frustrating is that AT&T sells prepaid smart phones. People purchased those w/ the good faith presumption that AT&T wouldn't radically change the game. They have.

Yep. Extremely poor handling on AT&T's part. By the way, I haven't received any text messages or email notifying me of this change on any of my 6 GoPhone lines - 4 of which have a data feature package add-on.

Re: Data only with monthly plans?

[ Edited ]
31 of 82 (1,618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 7:53:16 AM
(0)
Mentor

I'm amazed that a major change like this is only known via a one time text message. 

I'm amazed that a major change like this is only known via a one time text message. 

32 of 82 (1,612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 8:36:24 AM
(0)
Scholar

DomC wrote:

A badly worded text message which looks like it was written by a teenager at that.

DomC wrote:

A badly worded text message which looks like it was written by a teenager at that.

33 of 82 (1,610 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 9:13:01 AM
(0)
Scholar

hnzw_rui wrote:

DomC wrote:

Not everyone has received the message and it gets worse:  It appears as though they are still selling the data plans to new customers on the website.  Consider this scenario:  A new customer purchases a phone on the website.  He activates it online and decides to put $100 airtime on the account that he intends to use mainly for data.  He purchases 500mb that is good for 30 days and he plans to purchase $5 each month, until he needs a large amount again.  He is very happy with his new phone and enjoys using the data.  On day 29, he tries to add $5 of data to keep his data active.  He then realizes that the honeymoon is over and that he is a victim.

hnzw_rui wrote:

DomC wrote:

Not everyone has received the message and it gets worse:  It appears as though they are still selling the data plans to new customers on the website.  Consider this scenario:  A new customer purchases a phone on the website.  He activates it online and decides to put $100 airtime on the account that he intends to use mainly for data.  He purchases 500mb that is good for 30 days and he plans to purchase $5 each month, until he needs a large amount again.  He is very happy with his new phone and enjoys using the data.  On day 29, he tries to add $5 of data to keep his data active.  He then realizes that the honeymoon is over and that he is a victim.

34 of 82 (1,606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 9:22:08 AM
(0)
Mentor

hnzw_rui wrote:

Agreed. What major corporation uses "Pls" in a communication?

hnzw_rui wrote:

Agreed. What major corporation uses "Pls" in a communication?

35 of 82 (1,603 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2012 8:11:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have a very basic question and hope that someone here can help out.

What constitutes a "smartphone"? Is there a list of which phones are included in this monthly plan requirement?

I just purchased an AVAIL and put it on a monthly plan for the 1st month to get used to using it. I was going to change to the $.10 a minute and buy data as needed. I am still under the 30 day return policy and am going to head to the AT&T store to return it. Anyone have any idea which phones can be purchased and put on the 10 cent plan???

Thanks for all the help

gvaztom

What constitutes a "smartphone"? Is there a list of which phones are included in this monthly plan requirement?

I just purchased an AVAIL and put it on a monthly plan for the 1st month to get used to using it. I was going to change to the $.10 a minute and buy data as needed. I am still under the 30 day return policy and am going to head to the AT&T store to return it. Anyone have any idea which phones can be purchased and put on the 10 cent plan???

Thanks for all the help

gvaztom

36 of 82 (1,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2012 9:45:41 AM
(0)
Scholar

gvaztom wrote:

Thanks for all the help

gvaztom

I don't think  anyone knows.  My main AT&T phone is a Pantech Link, which is considered a "feature phone", not a smart phone.  When I called customer service, I got different answers.  One CSR said I could not longer buy data and another one said that I could.  The one that said I could, knew nothing about any changes.

gvaztom wrote:

Thanks for all the help

gvaztom

I don't think  anyone knows.  My main AT&T phone is a Pantech Link, which is considered a "feature phone", not a smart phone.  When I called customer service, I got different answers.  One CSR said I could not longer buy data and another one said that I could.  The one that said I could, knew nothing about any changes.

37 of 82 (1,511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2012 12:26:45 PM
(0)
Scholar

For those who are interested in an alternative to your current GoPhone service, you might want to consider one of the choices on this list:

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2012/04/alternatives-to-gophone-for-pay-as-you.html

I have never used Airvoice or H20, but the info on the link appears to say that their SIM cards will work in our current AT&T phones, even if they are locked.  The coverage, on those two, appears to be identical to what we have with GoPhone.

For those who are interested in an alternative to your current GoPhone service, you might want to consider one of the choices on this list:

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2012/04/alternatives-to-gophone-for-pay-as-you.html

I have never used Airvoice or H20, but the info on the link appears to say that their SIM cards will work in our current AT&T phones, even if they are locked.  The coverage, on those two, appears to be identical to what we have with GoPhone.

38 of 82 (1,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2012 6:02:46 PM
(0)
Mentor

Well I heard of this over on mac rumors and didn't see anything on this either. News search turns up nothing and I don't see any changes on the contract pages as mentioned. If they shut the thing off I will be PO'd along with the rest of you. Will also consider renewing data early, at the moment I have it scheduled to renew on the 21st, that would have sucked to get in a day or two late. 

Well I heard of this over on mac rumors and didn't see anything on this either. News search turns up nothing and I don't see any changes on the contract pages as mentioned. If they shut the thing off I will be PO'd along with the rest of you. Will also consider renewing data early, at the moment I have it scheduled to renew on the 21st, that would have sucked to get in a day or two late. 

39 of 82 (1,464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2012 6:04:59 PM
(0)
Scholar

gvaztom wrote:

Basically, a phone that runs Android, Blackberry, iOS or Windows Phone 7 is considered a smartphone. There are some Android phones that AT&T doesn't recognize as a smartphone (e.g. T-Mobile or international models). However, finding one involves some trial and error.

That said, you can still use smartphones on the 10c/minute plan. You just don't get access to cellular data. Seriously, though, their pay per use rates are very expensive. You're better off switching to the $25 plan for that month and buying a data package.

Back when I had a feature phone (on MediaNet), I would use around 50MB per month for web browsing (simple WAP sites). On the pay per use rate of $0.01/5KB or $2.048/MB, that 50MB would have cost $102.40. My Android smartphones use around 30~60MB per month just for background syncing (weather, contacts, email, Facebook, etc) so that's easily $61.44~122.88 per month just for the background stuff. Add some web browsing to the mix and you can easily use several MB within a few minutes. For example, when I read the Engadget blog, I usually clock in at ~12MB in a single session.

Realistically speaking, unless you only need cellular data once or twice a month and will only be browsing small, text-only sites, pay per use data is kinda useless.

gvaztom wrote:

Basically, a phone that runs Android, Blackberry, iOS or Windows Phone 7 is considered a smartphone. There are some Android phones that AT&T doesn't recognize as a smartphone (e.g. T-Mobile or international models). However, finding one involves some trial and error.

That said, you can still use smartphones on the 10c/minute plan. You just don't get access to cellular data. Seriously, though, their pay per use rates are very expensive. You're better off switching to the $25 plan for that month and buying a data package.

Back when I had a feature phone (on MediaNet), I would use around 50MB per month for web browsing (simple WAP sites). On the pay per use rate of $0.01/5KB or $2.048/MB, that 50MB would have cost $102.40. My Android smartphones use around 30~60MB per month just for background syncing (weather, contacts, email, Facebook, etc) so that's easily $61.44~122.88 per month just for the background stuff. Add some web browsing to the mix and you can easily use several MB within a few minutes. For example, when I read the Engadget blog, I usually clock in at ~12MB in a single session.

Realistically speaking, unless you only need cellular data once or twice a month and will only be browsing small, text-only sites, pay per use data is kinda useless.

40 of 82 (1,463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2012 6:20:57 PM
(0)
Mentor

It's going to be hard to measure how many customers they lose in this deal. I have $75 on the account and 1.5GB built up in data rollover. If this is true I am using that up and bailing out. Do they call that a win? Obviously they don't care about customer retention, that T mobile plan looks pretty nice actually...

It's going to be hard to measure how many customers they lose in this deal. I have $75 on the account and 1.5GB built up in data rollover. If this is true I am using that up and bailing out. Do they call that a win? Obviously they don't care about customer retention, that T mobile plan looks pretty nice actually...

41 of 82 (1,673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2012 8:29:47 PM
(0)
Professor
I'd want to use my smartphone as a dumb phone with iPod functionality. If that would not be in agreement with the new terms of service (if revised), then I would switch to other carrier. My data expires on 4/20, and so I will be renewing my data feature before 4/18 to get my 30 day extension.
I'd want to use my smartphone as a dumb phone with iPod functionality. If that would not be in agreement with the new terms of service (if revised), then I would switch to other carrier. My data expires on 4/20, and so I will be renewing my data feature before 4/18 to get my 30 day extension.

42 of 82 (1,660 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2012 5:33:39 AM
(0)
Mentor

I'm switching to T-Mobile as soon as my balance runs out. In the meantime, I have switched to the monthly plan on AT&T to burn off my leftover $65 and $30 in data. So, June 1 I'm switching to T-Mobile.

I was doing some research and TMO is very flexible with changing plans.

BUT, if you want the $30/mo unlimited text/data with 100 min talk, you must be a new customer. (Or maybe just use a new SIM.)

So, what I am planning on doing is to sign up for that $30/Mo plan. Then, if I'm not happy with that, I can always switch back down to the PAYG .10 per min talk/text plan with no data.

Plus, when I DO need data, I can switch to the $2/day or $3/day plan, and switch back to the PAYG plan when I'm done and when I'm refilling to get the Gold Rewards.

You see, I was with T-Mobile. They were always a better deal.

WAS:

TMO .10/min vs. AT&T .25/min TALK  (Now .10/min talk)

TMO .10/min vs. AT&T .20/min TEXT  

I saw AT&T was offering PRE-PAID Data. I changed to them, willing to pay the $.25/min talk, $.20/text, knowing that I was getting PRE-PAID DATA.

Then, without ANY NOTIFICATION WHATSOEVER, they dropped the talk price to .10/min. How I found out about this was when I was comparing plans one day. All I had to do was call in to get the lower talk price.

I was LIVID that a company would do business that way without any notice. But, to my surprise, they really outdid themselves with this move. The first time it happened, I just accepted the change (to my benefit), and moved on.

Now, I will MOVE ON FOR GOOD. And Good riddance.

I always thought it was a smart move to buy a GSM phone, in case a carrier like AT&T changed it's terms, but now it seems like even GSM carriers are not all created equal with respect to 3G/4G.So, now, if we have to get phones that match the carrier to get 3g/4g, all carriers are just as attractive, including Sprint and VZ.

So, in the short term, it looks like AT&T thought they could force their customers to stay with them by making their phones obsolete with other carriers, but the customer loyalty they will lose will be priceless.  

Maximum wrote:

I'm switching to T-Mobile as soon as my balance runs out. In the meantime, I have switched to the monthly plan on AT&T to burn off my leftover $65 and $30 in data. So, June 1 I'm switching to T-Mobile.

I was doing some research and TMO is very flexible with changing plans.

BUT, if you want the $30/mo unlimited text/data with 100 min talk, you must be a new customer. (Or maybe just use a new SIM.)

So, what I am planning on doing is to sign up for that $30/Mo plan. Then, if I'm not happy with that, I can always switch back down to the PAYG .10 per min talk/text plan with no data.

Plus, when I DO need data, I can switch to the $2/day or $3/day plan, and switch back to the PAYG plan when I'm done and when I'm refilling to get the Gold Rewards.

You see, I was with T-Mobile. They were always a better deal.

WAS:

TMO .10/min vs. AT&T .25/min TALK  (Now .10/min talk)

TMO .10/min vs. AT&T .20/min TEXT  

I saw AT&T was offering PRE-PAID Data. I changed to them, willing to pay the $.25/min talk, $.20/text, knowing that I was getting PRE-PAID DATA.

Then, without ANY NOTIFICATION WHATSOEVER, they dropped the talk price to .10/min. How I found out about this was when I was comparing plans one day. All I had to do was call in to get the lower talk price.

I was LIVID that a company would do business that way without any notice. But, to my surprise, they really outdid themselves with this move. The first time it happened, I just accepted the change (to my benefit), and moved on.

Now, I will MOVE ON FOR GOOD. And Good riddance.

I always thought it was a smart move to buy a GSM phone, in case a carrier like AT&T changed it's terms, but now it seems like even GSM carriers are not all created equal with respect to 3G/4G.So, now, if we have to get phones that match the carrier to get 3g/4g, all carriers are just as attractive, including Sprint and VZ.

So, in the short term, it looks like AT&T thought they could force their customers to stay with them by making their phones obsolete with other carriers, but the customer loyalty they will lose will be priceless.  

Maximum wrote:

43 of 82 (1,639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2012 6:23:01 AM
(0)
Scholar

MaxBurn wrote:

That right.  It seems that the thing that they care about is RPU: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/rpu.asp#axzz1rvQBp0rI

They were getting $100/year from me, but actually it was less, because I bought my airtime pins from http://callingmart.com, and I would get them with a 10% discount coupon, so I was only spending $90/year and AT&T didn't get all of that, because callingmart got their cut too.  Hence, I was expendable.

MaxBurn wrote:

That right.  It seems that the thing that they care about is RPU: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/rpu.asp#axzz1rvQBp0rI

They were getting $100/year from me, but actually it was less, because I bought my airtime pins from http://callingmart.com, and I would get them with a 10% discount coupon, so I was only spending $90/year and AT&T didn't get all of that, because callingmart got their cut too.  Hence, I was expendable.

44 of 82 (1,635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2012 7:05:06 AM
(0)
Mentor

I was looking at my AT&T "Review Refill History" last night.

2010 $318.75 (incl tax)

2011 $217.81

2012 $106.25 (Final)

Maybe I wasn't a BIG spender, but I was close to their $30/month plan in 2010.

Dr. Richard Kimble wrote:

That's right.  It seems that the thing that they care about is RPU: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/rpu.asp#axzz1rvQBp0rI

I was looking at my AT&T "Review Refill History" last night.

2010 $318.75 (incl tax)

2011 $217.81

2012 $106.25 (Final)

Maybe I wasn't a BIG spender, but I was close to their $30/month plan in 2010.

That's right.  It seems that the thing that they care about is RPU: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/rpu.asp#axzz1rvQBp0rI

45 of 82 (1,634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2012 9:10:50 AM
(0)
Scholar

Some of you are stuck in a bad situation.  You may have a great deal of airtime built up, with the intention of using it for data, but can no longer use it, because of the new rules.  If you are in that situation and GoPhone is no longer able to meet your needs, you may want to consider selling your SIM card on Ebay.  For instance, if you have a month of time left and a substantial amount of airtime, you have something that will have value to someone else.  I have never sold a GoPhone SIM on Ebay, but I have sold several active T-Mobile prepaid SIM's and sometimes I have done quite well.  You will, of course, lose your phone number.

Some of you are stuck in a bad situation.  You may have a great deal of airtime built up, with the intention of using it for data, but can no longer use it, because of the new rules.  If you are in that situation and GoPhone is no longer able to meet your needs, you may want to consider selling your SIM card on Ebay.  For instance, if you have a month of time left and a substantial amount of airtime, you have something that will have value to someone else.  I have never sold a GoPhone SIM on Ebay, but I have sold several active T-Mobile prepaid SIM's and sometimes I have done quite well.  You will, of course, lose your phone number.

46 of 82 (1,622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2012 9:19:39 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pl1 on Apr 13, 2012 at 10:13:49 AM

Thanks for the good tip! Unfortunately, that is a deal killerfor me, losing my phone number. I will be porting my number.

Donations via SMS are another option.

You will, of course, lose your phone number.

Thanks for the good tip! Unfortunately, that is a deal killerfor me, losing my phone number. I will be porting my number.

Donations via SMS are another option.

You will, of course, lose your phone number.

[ Edited ]
47 of 82 (1,622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 5:04:13 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by DomC on Apr 16, 2012 at 5:05:12 PM

So this is it? No response from any of the Community Leaders or other official voices? No change on the rate plane page or other notation other than the one cryptic text message that some people received? So incredibly well handled.

So this is it? No response from any of the Community Leaders or other official voices? No change on the rate plane page or other notation other than the one cryptic text message that some people received? So incredibly well handled.

[ Edited ]
48 of 82 (1,474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 6:40:29 PM
(0)
Scholar

Here are two other sources that might meet the needs of those who no longer consider GoPhone to be a fair deal.  The SIMs from both of these operate service on the AT&T network:

http://www.airvoicewireless.com/Plans12272011.aspx     

https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/pageControl.php?page=index

Here are two other sources that might meet the needs of those who no longer consider GoPhone to be a fair deal.  The SIMs from both of these operate service on the AT&T network:

http://www.airvoicewireless.com/Plans12272011.aspx     

https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/pageControl.php?page=index

49 of 82 (1,460 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2012 8:45:06 AM
(0)
Mentor

Don't forget the Straight Talk $45/month unlimited plan. Seems people generally figure you need to stay under 2GB/month or 100MB/day with that plan before or get noticed and shut down so;

Straight Talk $45/mo or AT&T Go Phone at $75/mo for the exact same thing?

I ordered my Straight Talk SIM.

Don't forget the Straight Talk $45/month unlimited plan. Seems people generally figure you need to stay under 2GB/month or 100MB/day with that plan before or get noticed and shut down so;

Straight Talk $45/mo or AT&T Go Phone at $75/mo for the exact same thing?

I ordered my Straight Talk SIM.

50 of 82 (1,325 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2012 9:45:05 AM
(0)
Scholar

I have replaced my Pantech Link GoPhone with a Platinumtel Sanyo SPC 2700.  There are some disadvantages, but also many advantages with my new service.  I downloaded the Opera Mini browser, which did wonders for the data capabilities.  My Pantech phone is unlocked and I may sell it on Ebay or Amazon.  I am in the process of porting my GoPhone number to a Tru Phone SIM that I will use in a spare phone.  

I have replaced my Pantech Link GoPhone with a Platinumtel Sanyo SPC 2700.  There are some disadvantages, but also many advantages with my new service.  I downloaded the Opera Mini browser, which did wonders for the data capabilities.  My Pantech phone is unlocked and I may sell it on Ebay or Amazon.  I am in the process of porting my GoPhone number to a Tru Phone SIM that I will use in a spare phone.  

51 of 82 (1,315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2012 10:00:41 AM
(0)
Tutor

The GoPhone refill websites already have the new data rates listed; and they also say that only monthly customers are eligible.

Yet I was able to just buy 50MB for $5.

Are existing 10cent/min customers grandfathered into data eligibility; or will I be screwed out of my existing data in a few days?

The GoPhone refill websites already have the new data rates listed; and they also say that only monthly customers are eligible.

Yet I was able to just buy 50MB for $5.

Are existing 10cent/min customers grandfathered into data eligibility; or will I be screwed out of my existing data in a few days?

52 of 82 (1,310 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2012 10:01:49 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pl1 on Apr 18, 2012 at 10:03:31 AM

So, you got me interested, but is there some reason you can't bring your own phone? Can you buy a cheap one and swap the SIM? Is it GSM? Anyway, the plan does look ideal for me, but I really want to keep my WP7 phone.

EDIT: Never mind, I got the answer searching your phone. Sprint.

So, you got me interested, but is there some reason you can't bring your own phone? Can you buy a cheap one and swap the SIM? Is it GSM? Anyway, the plan does look ideal for me, but I really want to keep my WP7 phone.

[ Edited ]
53 of 82 (1,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2012 10:18:14 AM
(0)
Scholar

pl1 wrote:

Yes, it is Sprint.  That means that there will be a few places, when I travel to Wisconsin, where I will get no coverage.  

If you want to keep your current GSM phone, you might want to consider Airvoice.  Their SIM's use AT&T coverage.  Their SIM will work in AT&T phones.  I don't know if they have to be unlocked and I think that the settings need to be changed to use data.  You can check them out at http://www.airvoicewireless.com  You can buy a SIM from them for $4.99 or you can get one on Ebay for about $1.45.  Their minimum cost is $10/month.

pl1 wrote:

Yes, it is Sprint.  That means that there will be a few places, when I travel to Wisconsin, where I will get no coverage.  

If you want to keep your current GSM phone, you might want to consider Airvoice.  Their SIM's use AT&T coverage.  Their SIM will work in AT&T phones.  I don't know if they have to be unlocked and I think that the settings need to be changed to use data.  You can check them out at http://www.airvoicewireless.com  You can buy a SIM from them for $4.99 or you can get one on Ebay for about $1.45.  Their minimum cost is $10/month.

54 of 82 (1,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2012 11:00:01 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pl1 on Apr 18, 2012 at 11:03:13 AM

Will do thanks. I think I will at least buy a SIM.

Will do thanks. I think I will at least buy a SIM.

[ Edited ]
55 of 82 (1,293 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2012 1:05:58 PM
(0)
Mentor

I am curious, has anyone actually lost their data yet? 

They do seem to have updated the plan pages. May be a grace period for a while?

I am curious, has anyone actually lost their data yet? 

They do seem to have updated the plan pages. May be a grace period for a while?

56 of 82 (1,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2012 2:07:53 PM
(0)
Scholar
You won't lose data (unless it's expiring). You can use already purchased data until the expiration date. However, you won't be able to buy data feature packages on the $0.10/min and $2/day plans anymore so if you don't use up all your data, no more rollover.
You won't lose data (unless it's expiring). You can use already purchased data until the expiration date. However, you won't be able to buy data feature packages on the $0.10/min and $2/day plans anymore so if you don't use up all your data, no more rollover.

57 of 82 (1,116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2012 8:27:15 PM
(0)
Contributor

ATT could really care less if you leave.  I'm sure they would prefer you leave.  They could keep the money that you paid without providing further service.  To ATT we are just deadweight.  Most of us on the pay as you go plan don't really pay much annually for our service, nor should we if we barely use it.  This was why we decided to use ATT pay as you go.  

I've been an ATT/Cingular customer for 13 yrs, under contract and prepaid.  This is really the first time that I've really been upset with ATT.  I've been through their poor customer service, their crappy equipment, and overpriced plans.  They give you a 2 week warning about what is to come in a bad text message that explains little, which has everyone wondering if someone hacked ATT and sent out a bogus text message.  No other communication is offered to explain what is happening.  For something this major I would have expected at least 30 days warning and a link to an explanation of what this all means. 

The text message should have read:  "We don't need you as an ATT customer, nor do we care what you have to say.  Please leave"

ATT could really care less if you leave.  I'm sure they would prefer you leave.  They could keep the money that you paid without providing further service.  To ATT we are just deadweight.  Most of us on the pay as you go plan don't really pay much annually for our service, nor should we if we barely use it.  This was why we decided to use ATT pay as you go.  

I've been an ATT/Cingular customer for 13 yrs, under contract and prepaid.  This is really the first time that I've really been upset with ATT.  I've been through their poor customer service, their crappy equipment, and overpriced plans.  They give you a 2 week warning about what is to come in a bad text message that explains little, which has everyone wondering if someone hacked ATT and sent out a bogus text message.  No other communication is offered to explain what is happening.  For something this major I would have expected at least 30 days warning and a link to an explanation of what this all means. 

The text message should have read:  "We don't need you as an ATT customer, nor do we care what you have to say.  Please leave"

58 of 82 (1,030 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2012 9:24:28 PM
(0)
Scholar

It is, indeed, a new low in treatment of customers.  We can all be very happy that they failed in their attempt to buy T-Mobile.  That would have been a disaster for all wireless users.  

It is, indeed, a new low in treatment of customers.  We can all be very happy that they failed in their attempt to buy T-Mobile.  That would have been a disaster for all wireless users.  

59 of 82 (1,019 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2012 8:28:38 AM
(0)
Mentor

And it just goes to show you, that this is JUST what the U.S. Justice Department was afraid would happen. At least, currently, we have another U.S. GSM carrier option, TMO. 

And it just goes to show you, that this is JUST what the U.S. Justice Department was afraid would happen. At least, currently, we have another U.S. GSM carrier option, TMO. 

60 of 82 (994 Views)