Wireless Forums

Posted Apr 4, 2012
11:38:33 AM
View profile
Data only with monthly plans?

I just got a text from AT&T saying that data packages will only be available with monthly plans starting on 4/18!

Really? Why? (besides the whole wanting more money thing)

So I have to go from paying $25 every 3 months with $5 a month data to at least $25 a month plus data?

Wow, thanks for that.

I just got a text from AT&T saying that data packages will only be available with monthly plans starting on 4/18!

So I have to go from paying $25 every 3 months with $5 a month data to at least $25 a month plus data?

Wow, thanks for that.

Data only with monthly plans?

81 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(81)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 11:39:45 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by DomC on Apr 4, 2012 at 11:42:55 AM

If I have accululated account money, can I pay monthly from that?

If I have accululated account money, can I pay monthly from that?

Re: Data only with monthly plans?

[ Edited ]
2 of 82 (3,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 11:43:18 AM
(0)
Professor

Yep. Got same message.

at&t wants me to pay $25/month in minutes (that I don't want) + the $25/month on data? Yeah right!

Light voice users get screwed again.  No more data from GoPhone for me I guess.

Yep. Got same message.

at&t wants me to pay $25/month in minutes (that I don't want) + the $25/month on data? Yeah right!

Light voice users get screwed again.  No more data from GoPhone for me I guess.

3 of 82 (3,347 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 12:45:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm on the 10 cent/minute plan so I guess I just spent $25 on a data plan that apparently will go unused. Would ask for a refund but I'm sure that's a waste of time knowing ATTs "billing irregularities" I only use data so I guess it's TMobile or VirginMobile next for me (will have to deal with coverage issues), don't want to spend $25 month for minutes that will go unused.

I'm on the 10 cent/minute plan so I guess I just spent $25 on a data plan that apparently will go unused. Would ask for a refund but I'm sure that's a waste of time knowing ATTs "billing irregularities" I only use data so I guess it's TMobile or VirginMobile next for me (will have to deal with coverage issues), don't want to spend $25 month for minutes that will go unused.

4 of 82 (3,306 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 1:00:05 PM
(0)
Mentor

Stay away from Virgin. If I could get my wife off her plan I would in a second.

Stay away from Virgin. If I could get my wife off her plan I would in a second.

5 of 82 (3,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 3:29:12 PM
(0)
Mentor

Was the text message genuine?. Their website doesnt mention anything about this:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp

Was the text message genuine?. Their website doesnt mention anything about this:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp

6 of 82 (3,235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 4:33:41 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by curlywurly1966 on Apr 4, 2012 at 4:37:04 PM

I got the same message, I was also wondering if it is genuine.

If it is, well I non too happy about it, I was topping up $25 per month, $10 on voice and $15 on data and was working out sweet for me, so I was spending $25 per month...does this qualify as a monthly plan and I'm okay?

If it is, well I non too happy about it, I was topping up $25 per month, $10 on voice and $15 on data and was working out sweet for me, so I was spending $25 per month...does this qualify as a monthly plan and I'm okay?

[ Edited ]
7 of 82 (3,200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 4:55:50 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by DomC on Apr 4, 2012 at 4:57:16 PM

I have to admit when the message said 2 instead of "to" and pls instead of "please" I thought maybe a teenage intern maybe wrote it.

It would be nice to have an official confirmation either way.

I have to admit when the message said 2 instead of "to" and pls instead of "please" I thought maybe a teenage intern maybe wrote it.

It would be nice to have an official confirmation either way.

[ Edited ]
8 of 82 (3,183 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 7:44:04 PM
(0)
Professor

curlywurly1966 wrote:

The message looks genuine. Comes from the same number other at&t announcements have come from before.

No, the fact thay you regularly spend $25 month in both voice and data does not qualify as a monthly plan. You'd need to enroll in either the $25/250 min plan (plus a data package) or the $50/unlimited plan (plus a package). Those are the monthly plans the message talks about.

curlywurly1966 wrote:

The message looks genuine. Comes from the same number other at&t announcements have come from before.

No, the fact thay you regularly spend $25 month in both voice and data does not qualify as a monthly plan. You'd need to enroll in either the $25/250 min plan (plus a data package) or the $50/unlimited plan (plus a package). Those are the monthly plans the message talks about.

9 of 82 (3,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2012 10:49:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

Okay, that now makes sense, as I was getting voice & data for $25 pm, now I will have to pay $25 PLUS whatever a data package costs...$15? So they hope to make an extra $15 or so, this will make the shareholders happier, but not me :smileysad:

Okay, that now makes sense, as I was getting voice & data for $25 pm, now I will have to pay $25 PLUS whatever a data package costs...$15? So they hope to make an extra $15 or so, this will make the shareholders happier, but not me :smileysad:

10 of 82 (3,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2012 12:29:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

How do I change my plan to monthly? When I log into my AT&T account, the one where I top up every month, I cannot see a way of buying/adding this...do I have to start over if I want this?

How do I change my plan to monthly? When I log into my AT&T account, the one where I top up every month, I cannot see a way of buying/adding this...do I have to start over if I want this?

11 of 82 (2,843 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2012 1:56:32 PM
(0)
Contributor
So disappointed. Low income/light voice use. Finally thought I "have arrived" by being able to infrequently use a data plan. $5 a month plan. Too bad so sad I guess. Why are you doing this?
So disappointed. Low income/light voice use. Finally thought I "have arrived" by being able to infrequently use a data plan. $5 a month plan. Too bad so sad I guess. Why are you doing this?

12 of 82 (2,824 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2012 2:24:30 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by malik007 on Apr 5, 2012 at 2:25:31 PM

I haven't received this text.  Must just be for you iphone users to force you on to monthly :smileyhappy:

Still nothing on their website or any of the news sites about this. If it is true its not being handled very well by ATT imo. 

Those $5, $10, $15 data plans on gophone are relatively new. Sending out a text giving 14 notice is very short notice. Imagine if you've just transferred from another provider to ATT gophone and then weeks later they tell you your plan is discontinued. Ouch.

I haven't received this text.  Must just be for you iphone users to force you on to monthly :smileyhappy:

Still nothing on their website or any of the news sites about this. If it is true its not being handled very well by ATT imo. 

Those $5, $10, $15 data plans on gophone are relatively new. Sending out a text giving 14 notice is very short notice. Imagine if you've just transferred from another provider to ATT gophone and then weeks later they tell you your plan is discontinued. Ouch.

[ Edited ]
13 of 82 (2,815 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2012 8:41:59 PM
(0)
Scholar

@slquejr:  You mentioned that you might switch to Virgin Mobile.  Before you do, I would suggest that you consider Platinumtel.  Like Virgin Mobile, Platinumtel uses Sprint.  You can keep your account active for as little as $10/90days, you can use data for 10cents/MB and they have some nice choices for phones, right now.  Voice minutes are 5 cents.  You can read about Platinumtel at:  http://platinumtel.com

@slquejr:  You mentioned that you might switch to Virgin Mobile.  Before you do, I would suggest that you consider Platinumtel.  Like Virgin Mobile, Platinumtel uses Sprint.  You can keep your account active for as little as $10/90days, you can use data for 10cents/MB and they have some nice choices for phones, right now.  Voice minutes are 5 cents.  You can read about Platinumtel at:  http://platinumtel.com

14 of 82 (2,786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2012 8:47:31 PM
(0)
Professor
To those who received the sms, do you all use auto renewal for your data pkg?
To those who received the sms, do you all use auto renewal for your data pkg?

15 of 82 (2,783 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2012 9:11:43 PM
(0)
Scholar

I am disappointed to hear this, but I have also heard that it does not affect those of us who do not use smart phones.  My main phone for data is a Pantech Link, which is considered a "feature phone", not a smart phone.  So, I hope that I am exempt from this change.  If not, I will be gone, probably to Platinumtel.

I am disappointed to hear this, but I have also heard that it does not affect those of us who do not use smart phones.  My main phone for data is a Pantech Link, which is considered a "feature phone", not a smart phone.  So, I hope that I am exempt from this change.  If not, I will be gone, probably to Platinumtel.

16 of 82 (2,783 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2012 9:54:38 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by DomC on Apr 5, 2012 at 9:54:58 PM

I do not use auto renewal.

I do not use auto renewal.

[ Edited ]
17 of 82 (2,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2012 9:57:14 PM
(0)
Mentor

malik007 wrote:

I haven't received this text.  Must just be for you iphone users to force you on to monthly

I don't think it's just about iPhone users. I think it's for anyone with a data feature package.

malik007 wrote:

I haven't received this text.  Must just be for you iphone users to force you on to monthly

I don't think it's just about iPhone users. I think it's for anyone with a data feature package.

18 of 82 (2,771 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2012 10:18:03 PM
(0)
Professor
I have not received the text message yet.
I have not received the text message yet.

19 of 82 (2,766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2012 3:31:36 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by malik007 on Apr 6, 2012 at 3:33:11 AM
Re: Data only with monthly plans?[ New ]

DanC wrote:

Yes i know. I was joking as ATT have never liked iphone users on gophone. 

I wish ATT would release a proper statement so everyone knew what was going on. 

I now use my htc smartphone mainly for data not voice so it makes no sense for me to add the $25pm voice package.
Anyone know which other providers use sim cards. Is it only ATT and TMobile?.

Other than that 'll have to start marking out all the free wifi hotspots on every route :smileyhappy:.

Re: Data only with monthly plans?[ New ]

DanC wrote:

Yes i know. I was joking as ATT have never liked iphone users on gophone. 

I wish ATT would release a proper statement so everyone knew what was going on. 

I now use my htc smartphone mainly for data not voice so it makes no sense for me to add the $25pm voice package.
Anyone know which other providers use sim cards. Is it only ATT and TMobile?.

Other than that 'll have to start marking out all the free wifi hotspots on every route :smileyhappy:.

[ Edited ]
20 of 82 (2,747 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2012 6:13:13 AM
(0)
Contributor

Consumer Cellular rents network access from AT&T, and I think their phones are GSM. If so, unlocking your phone and switching to their inexpensive plan may be the best response to the extortion attempt.

Consumer Cellular rents network access from AT&T, and I think their phones are GSM. If so, unlocking your phone and switching to their inexpensive plan may be the best response to the extortion attempt.

21 of 82 (2,910 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2012 9:25:20 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by malik007 on Apr 6, 2012 at 9:25:54 AM

>Consumer Cellular rents network access from AT&T, and I think their phones are GSM. If so, unlocking your phone and switching to their inexpensive plan may be the best response to the extortion attempt.

Looked on their website but I couldn't see what their data plans charges were or what speeds they have.

>Consumer Cellular rents network access from AT&T, and I think their phones are GSM. If so, unlocking your phone and switching to their inexpensive plan may be the best response to the extortion attempt.

Looked on their website but I couldn't see what their data plans charges were or what speeds they have.

[ Edited ]
22 of 82 (2,876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2012 10:57:37 PM
(0)
Scholar

I am really surprised that AT&T has done this to us.  It is reprehensible.  I have taken steps to bail and cut my loses.  My internet will stop working on 4/18 and my current airtime will expire on 4/20.  I had a $25 GoPhone refill pin, which I managed to sell for $20 on Ebay tonight.   I ordered a Platinumtel phone and airtime, which will replace most of my need for internet access on the go.   I purchased a Tru SIM, which will work in my AT&T phones for data and provide service in the areas where Platinumtel has no coverage.  Fortunately, my phones are unlocked, thus enabling me to use the Tru SIM.  They should have given us some warning.

AT&T has lost me as a customer, probably forever, but I only spent $100/year, so I am not a big loss to them.  I think that we can all be happy that they failed at their buyout of T-Mobile.  It would have been a disaster for a company like AT&T to have that much control over the wireless industry.  Anyway, I always like getting a new phone and I am looking forward to the arrival of the new Platinumtel phone that I ordered last night.  The combination of Platinumtel and Tru will probably be less expensive than what I was spending for AT&T service, so good riddance to them.  Upward and onward........ 

I am really surprised that AT&T has done this to us.  It is reprehensible.  I have taken steps to bail and cut my loses.  My internet will stop working on 4/18 and my current airtime will expire on 4/20.  I had a $25 GoPhone refill pin, which I managed to sell for $20 on Ebay tonight.   I ordered a Platinumtel phone and airtime, which will replace most of my need for internet access on the go.   I purchased a Tru SIM, which will work in my AT&T phones for data and provide service in the areas where Platinumtel has no coverage.  Fortunately, my phones are unlocked, thus enabling me to use the Tru SIM.  They should have given us some warning.

AT&T has lost me as a customer, probably forever, but I only spent $100/year, so I am not a big loss to them.  I think that we can all be happy that they failed at their buyout of T-Mobile.  It would have been a disaster for a company like AT&T to have that much control over the wireless industry.  Anyway, I always like getting a new phone and I am looking forward to the arrival of the new Platinumtel phone that I ordered last night.  The combination of Platinumtel and Tru will probably be less expensive than what I was spending for AT&T service, so good riddance to them.  Upward and onward........ 

23 of 82 (2,814 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2012 11:47:27 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by curlywurly1966 on Apr 7, 2012 at 11:52:13 AM

Okay, called customer service to clarify the situation, it was, as expected, a confusing conversation as I not sure they fully understand what is going on, but I'll report the facts asthey/me understood them.

I'm currently on the 10c plan, and I buy the 100MB pm feature package at $15 for my Android smartphone, I top my account up with around $25pm and split it across voice and data, $10 voice, $15 data package, works great for me.

He said that nothing will happen on 4/18, (he seemed aware of the SMS message but very fuzzy about the details) and had "great news for me"...he said all smartphones that use 3G will still get data as per normal, I still wasn't clear on this, and he just repeated this statement, I also had limited time to converse....he emphasized the 3G thing many times.

This is my interpretation of it, I don't think the customer service guy understood that I was on the 10c plan, I think he thought I was on the monthly plan, as he mentioned it quickly somewhere in the conversation.

He said all monthly plans will have unlimited 3G internet and mail, so maybe that is their new angle on this, the older tech/speed of 3G is now for PAYG customers, and if you have $25 monthly plan this will INCLUDE data now, so for $25 pm you get voice and data, I asked him this, and he said I had understood it correctly.

I still cannot see any way on line to change my 10c plan to a monthly, but now know I can do it by calling 611.

I've decided to wait until 4/18 and see what happens.

Okay, called customer service to clarify the situation, it was, as expected, a confusing conversation as I not sure they fully understand what is going on, but I'll report the facts asthey/me understood them.

I'm currently on the 10c plan, and I buy the 100MB pm feature package at $15 for my Android smartphone, I top my account up with around $25pm and split it across voice and data, $10 voice, $15 data package, works great for me.

He said that nothing will happen on 4/18, (he seemed aware of the SMS message but very fuzzy about the details) and had "great news for me"...he said all smartphones that use 3G will still get data as per normal, I still wasn't clear on this, and he just repeated this statement, I also had limited time to converse....he emphasized the 3G thing many times.

This is my interpretation of it, I don't think the customer service guy understood that I was on the 10c plan, I think he thought I was on the monthly plan, as he mentioned it quickly somewhere in the conversation.

He said all monthly plans will have unlimited 3G internet and mail, so maybe that is their new angle on this, the older tech/speed of 3G is now for PAYG customers, and if you have $25 monthly plan this will INCLUDE data now, so for $25 pm you get voice and data, I asked him this, and he said I had understood it correctly.

I still cannot see any way on line to change my 10c plan to a monthly, but now know I can do it by calling 611.

[ Edited ]
24 of 82 (2,786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2012 12:07:36 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Dr. Richard Kimble on Apr 7, 2012 at 12:12:08 PM

curlywurly1966 wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My reply: 

I talked to a CSR who told me that this is all true:

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2012/04/developing-at-says-no-more-data.html

Then I called again and another CSR told that it is not true.  It is my guess that the CSR who told me that it is not true was just not trained with the correct info, which does not speak well of the training and info that AT&T provides their CSR's with.  Anyway, I will be gone from AT&T on 4/20 when my current airtime expires and it is clear to me that AT&T does not want my $100/year.....they are only interested in the bigger fish that spend much more than that.

Like I mentioned earlier, we can all be very happy that AT&T failed in their attempt to buy T-Mobile.  It would have been a disaster for a company like AT&T to have that much of the wireless industry.  

curlywurly1966 wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My reply: 

I talked to a CSR who told me that this is all true:

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2012/04/developing-at-says-no-more-data.html

Then I called again and another CSR told that it is not true.  It is my guess that the CSR who told me that it is not true was just not trained with the correct info, which does not speak well of the training and info that AT&T provides their CSR's with.  Anyway, I will be gone from AT&T on 4/20 when my current airtime expires and it is clear to me that AT&T does not want my $100/year.....they are only interested in the bigger fish that spend much more than that.

Like I mentioned earlier, we can all be very happy that AT&T failed in their attempt to buy T-Mobile.  It would have been a disaster for a company like AT&T to have that much of the wireless industry.  

[ Edited ]
25 of 82 (2,780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2012 8:36:03 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by Patico on Apr 9, 2012 at 8:40:19 AM

I just want to clarify some things based on the very limited concrete information that at&t has provided so far in written (via SMS). For now I ignore anything that CSRs say as they seem to be not very well informed on the issue and we cannot use what they say to us to support anything before a 3rd party.

1- It seems that you (everyone) won't be able to renew the data package starting on 4/18. That doesn't mean data will stop working on 4/18 for GoPhone PAYG plan users. You just won't be able to extend the expiration of your data package and roll over whatever amount of data you have left on 4/18.

2- Therefiore we still have until 4/17 to add/renew data package in the PAYG account and thus extend the data expiration to 5/17 and rollover whatever you still have left on 4/17 for 30 days more. If you have lots of MB left that you won't be able to use by your current data expiration date, you may just add a $5 data package on 4/17 to add 10MB and extend the total amount to 5/17. That would give everyone some extra time.

3- Nothing indicates that the policy is only for smartphone PAYG users. The message from at&t mentions only PAYG plans. So even if you use a feature phone and buy data packages in a PAYG plan you still will be affected. If you only use Pay-per-use (PPU) data on your feature phone in PAYG you are not affected at all. The only difference may be that after the data package expires, feature phone users on PAYG will still be able to get data by paying per KB (PPU rate 1c/5KB) only whereas recognized smartphone users won't get any data, not even by paying PPU (the current policy blocks PPU data on recognized smartphones and with no access to data packages, that effectively eliminates any option to get data for them on PAYG).

4-There is no mention that this policy is limited by region or by device, so we should assume that it will affect everyone nationwide. But for some reason not all PAYG users of data package even with smart phones seem to have received the message.

5- As of today (4/9 9 days left), the GoPhone website still hasn't changed anything and doesn't mention any coming changes on the data policy for PAYG users. People may be still buying lots of airtime/data with the impeding change and removal of the data package option completely unbeknownst to them.

I just want to clarify some things based on the very limited concrete information that at&t has provided so far in written (via SMS). For now I ignore anything that CSRs say as they seem to be not very well informed on the issue and we cannot use what they say to us to support anything before a 3rd party.

1- It seems that you (everyone) won't be able to renew the data package starting on 4/18. That doesn't mean data will stop working on 4/18 for GoPhone PAYG plan users. You just won't be able to extend the expiration of your data package and roll over whatever amount of data you have left on 4/18.

2- Therefiore we still have until 4/17 to add/renew data package in the PAYG account and thus extend the data expiration to 5/17 and rollover whatever you still have left on 4/17 for 30 days more. If you have lots of MB left that you won't be able to use by your current data expiration date, you may just add a $5 data package on 4/17 to add 10MB and extend the total amount to 5/17. That would give everyone some extra time.

3- Nothing indicates that the policy is only for smartphone PAYG users. The message from at&t mentions only PAYG plans. So even if you use a feature phone and buy data packages in a PAYG plan you still will be affected. If you only use Pay-per-use (PPU) data on your feature phone in PAYG you are not affected at all. The only difference may be that after the data package expires, feature phone users on PAYG will still be able to get data by paying per KB (PPU rate 1c/5KB) only whereas recognized smartphone users won't get any data, not even by paying PPU (the current policy blocks PPU data on recognized smartphones and with no access to data packages, that effectively eliminates any option to get data for them on PAYG).

4-There is no mention that this policy is limited by region or by device, so we should assume that it will affect everyone nationwide. But for some reason not all PAYG users of data package even with smart phones seem to have received the message.

5- As of today (4/9 9 days left), the GoPhone website still hasn't changed anything and doesn't mention any coming changes on the data policy for PAYG users. People may be still buying lots of airtime/data with the impeding change and removal of the data package option completely unbeknownst to them.

[ Edited ]
26 of 82 (2,728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2012 9:06:20 AM
(0)
Teacher

Just adding my disapproval about this change... perhaps Airvoice will meet my needs at a lower price than AT&T.

Just adding my disapproval about this change... perhaps Airvoice will meet my needs at a lower price than AT&T.

27 of 82 (2,717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2012 9:52:52 AM
(0)
Scholar

Patico wrote:

2- Therefore we still have until 4/17 to add/renew data package in the PAYG account and thus extend the data expiration to 5/17 and rollover whatever you still have left on 4/17 for 30 days more. If you have lots of MB left that you won't be able to use by your current data expiration date, you may just add a $5 data package on 4/17 to add 10MB and extend the total amount to 5/17. That would give everyone some extra time.

Yes, I could do that, but in my case it would not be cost effective.  My current airtime expires on 4/20 so I would have to add at least $15 to keep my data going for another 30 days.  I did have a $25 airtime pin that I was going to use on 4/20 to keep my 250mb available, but with the changes, that would be the last month that I could use data at a reasonable price, so I have decided to cut my losses and bail.  (I have already sold the $25 airtime pin on Ebay).

My three AT&T phones are unlocked, and I have ordered a Tru Phone SIM that will give me data on those phones for 17cents/mb.  It will only be 2G, but for the huge difference in price, I can accept having to use 2G.  I also ordered a Platinumtel phone that will give me 3G data on the Sprint network for 10cents/minute and I can purchase as little as $40/year airtime.  I think that I am coming out ahead with these changes.  I was upset at first, but now I am looking forward to my new phone and my use of the Tru Phone SIM in my AT&T phones.

Patico wrote:

2- Therefore we still have until 4/17 to add/renew data package in the PAYG account and thus extend the data expiration to 5/17 and rollover whatever you still have left on 4/17 for 30 days more. If you have lots of MB left that you won't be able to use by your current data expiration date, you may just add a $5 data package on 4/17 to add 10MB and extend the total amount to 5/17. That would give everyone some extra time.

Yes, I could do that, but in my case it would not be cost effective.  My current airtime expires on 4/20 so I would have to add at least $15 to keep my data going for another 30 days.  I did have a $25 airtime pin that I was going to use on 4/20 to keep my 250mb available, but with the changes, that would be the last month that I could use data at a reasonable price, so I have decided to cut my losses and bail.  (I have already sold the $25 airtime pin on Ebay).

My three AT&T phones are unlocked, and I have ordered a Tru Phone SIM that will give me data on those phones for 17cents/mb.  It will only be 2G, but for the huge difference in price, I can accept having to use 2G.  I also ordered a Platinumtel phone that will give me 3G data on the Sprint network for 10cents/minute and I can purchase as little as $40/year airtime.  I think that I am coming out ahead with these changes.  I was upset at first, but now I am looking forward to my new phone and my use of the Tru Phone SIM in my AT&T phones.

28 of 82 (2,712 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2012 2:33:20 PM
(0)
Scholar

DomC wrote:

Wow, thanks for that.

There is no good reason. This is just an obvious cash grab for AT&T. Greedy, greedy, greedy.

Oh well, bully for them. The availability of data packages actually increased my spending to $150 per year per line for 4 smartphones (mostly for the $25/500MB top-up). Now that they're requiring a minimum of $25 per month for voice/messaging on top of what the data package costs, no thanks. The data was more for convenience's sake. No way am I willing to pay a minimum of $30/month ($25 voice/msg + $5 data) or $360/year for service I won't be using.

DomC wrote:

Wow, thanks for that.

There is no good reason. This is just an obvious cash grab for AT&T. Greedy, greedy, greedy.

Oh well, bully for them. The availability of data packages actually increased my spending to $150 per year per line for 4 smartphones (mostly for the $25/500MB top-up). Now that they're requiring a minimum of $25 per month for voice/messaging on top of what the data package costs, no thanks. The data was more for convenience's sake. No way am I willing to pay a minimum of $30/month ($25 voice/msg + $5 data) or $360/year for service I won't be using.

29 of 82 (2,684 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2012 7:57:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

What I find most interesting about this is the poor what it's being handled by AT&T. The only communication has been via text. There's no direction to a web page with more details. Only two weeks notice. The only conclusion I can come to is that those running AT&T prepaid are on drugs. Especially frustrating is that AT&T sells prepaid smart phones. People purchased those w/ the good faith presumption that AT&T wouldn't radically change the game. They have.

What I find most interesting about this is the poor what it's being handled by AT&T. The only communication has been via text. There's no direction to a web page with more details. Only two weeks notice. The only conclusion I can come to is that those running AT&T prepaid are on drugs. Especially frustrating is that AT&T sells prepaid smart phones. People purchased those w/ the good faith presumption that AT&T wouldn't radically change the game. They have.

30 of 82 (2,597 Views)