Data only with monthly plans?

Mentor

Data only with monthly plans?

I just got a text from AT&T saying that data packages will only be available with monthly plans starting on 4/18!

Really? Why? (besides the whole wanting more money thing)

So I have to go from paying $25 every 3 months with $5 a month data to at least $25 a month plus data?

Wow, thanks for that.

Message 1 of 82 (3,834 Views)
Mentor

Re: Data only with monthly plans?

[ Edited ]

If I have accululated account money, can I pay monthly from that?

Message 2 of 82 (3,614 Views)
Professor

Yep. Got same message.

at&t wants me to pay $25/month in minutes (that I don't want) + the $25/month on data? Yeah right!

Light voice users get screwed again.  No more data from GoPhone for me I guess.

Message 3 of 82 (3,612 Views)
Contributor

I'm on the 10 cent/minute plan so I guess I just spent $25 on a data plan that apparently will go unused. Would ask for a refund but I'm sure that's a waste of time knowing ATTs "billing irregularities" I only use data so I guess it's TMobile or VirginMobile next for me (will have to deal with coverage issues), don't want to spend $25 month for minutes that will go unused.

Message 4 of 82 (3,571 Views)
Mentor

Stay away from Virgin. If I could get my wife off her plan I would in a second.

Message 5 of 82 (3,563 Views)
Mentor

Was the text message genuine?. Their website doesnt mention anything about this:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp

Message 6 of 82 (3,500 Views)

[ Edited ]

I got the same message, I was also wondering if it is genuine.

If it is, well I non too happy about it, I was topping up $25 per month, $10 on voice and $15 on data and was working out sweet for me, so I was spending $25 per month...does this qualify as a monthly plan and I'm okay?

Message 7 of 82 (3,465 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

I have to admit when the message said 2 instead of "to" and pls instead of "please" I thought maybe a teenage intern maybe wrote it.

It would be nice to have an official confirmation either way.

Message 8 of 82 (3,448 Views)
Professor

curlywurly1966 wrote:

I got the same message, I was also wondering if it is genuine.

If it is, well I non too happy about it, I was topping up $25 per month, $10 on voice and $15 on data and was working out sweet for me, so I was spending $25 per month...does this qualify as a monthly plan and I'm okay?

The message looks genuine. Comes from the same number other at&t announcements have come from before.

No, the fact thay you regularly spend $25 month in both voice and data does not qualify as a monthly plan. You'd need to enroll in either the $25/250 min plan (plus a data package) or the $50/unlimited plan (plus a package). Those are the monthly plans the message talks about.

Message 9 of 82 (3,393 Views)

Okay, that now makes sense, as I was getting voice & data for $25 pm, now I will have to pay $25 PLUS whatever a data package costs...$15? So they hope to make an extra $15 or so, this will make the shareholders happier, but not me Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 82 (3,294 Views)

How do I change my plan to monthly? When I log into my AT&T account, the one where I top up every month, I cannot see a way of buying/adding this...do I have to start over if I want this?

Message 11 of 82 (3,108 Views)
RHD
Contributor

So disappointed. Low income/light voice use. Finally thought I "have arrived" by being able to infrequently use a data plan. $5 a month plan. Too bad so sad I guess. Why are you doing this?
Message 12 of 82 (3,089 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

I haven't received this text.  Must just be for you iphone users to force you on to monthly Smiley Happy

Still nothing on their website or any of the news sites about this. If it is true its not being handled very well by ATT imo. 

Those $5, $10, $15 data plans on gophone are relatively new. Sending out a text giving 14 notice is very short notice. Imagine if you've just transferred from another provider to ATT gophone and then weeks later they tell you your plan is discontinued. Ouch.

Message 13 of 82 (3,080 Views)
Highlighted

@slquejr:  You mentioned that you might switch to Virgin Mobile.  Before you do, I would suggest that you consider Platinumtel.  Like Virgin Mobile, Platinumtel uses Sprint.  You can keep your account active for as little as $10/90days, you can use data for 10cents/MB and they have some nice choices for phones, right now.  Voice minutes are 5 cents.  You can read about Platinumtel at:  http://platinumtel.com

Message 14 of 82 (3,051 Views)
Professor

To those who received the sms, do you all use auto renewal for your data pkg?
Message 15 of 82 (3,048 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.