Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 15, 2011
3:13:01 PM
View profile
Data charges on wifi

I'm pretty careful about my data usage, ever since I learned how little 200 MB really is. I use DataMan on the iphone, which will tell me what my wifi and 3G usage is, at what times and where I am at the time (if I turn on location services, which I usually don't). I've figured out a couple of apps that are data hogs, and opened them where I'm connected to wifi. According to DataMan, I'm getting both data and wifi usage, even though I'm sitting at my desk and not moving. The times are exact--the times I opened the apps were the times that DataMan showed for the charges. For instance, it shows 7.4MB of 3G and 4MB of wifi, at the same time.

How can this be?

I'm pretty careful about my data usage, ever since I learned how little 200 MB really is. I use DataMan on the iphone, which will tell me what my wifi and 3G usage is, at what times and where I am at the time (if I turn on location services, which I usually don't). I've figured out a couple of apps that are data hogs, and opened them where I'm connected to wifi. According to DataMan, I'm getting both data and wifi usage, even though I'm sitting at my desk and not moving. The times are exact--the times I opened the apps were the times that DataMan showed for the charges. For instance, it shows 7.4MB of 3G and 4MB of wifi, at the same time.

How can this be?

Data charges on wifi

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2011 5:44:58 PM
(0)
Scholar

Dbear13 wrote:

How can this be?

Don't worry,  some AT&T fanboy, or maybe even an AT&T employee, will tell you why this:

1. isn't a problem

2. is something you're doing wrong, or the one I like the best,

3. is your problem because didn't you read the contract and/or the Terms of Service?

Good luck in getting a rational explanation from AT&T.

Fanboys ??   your turn.

Dbear13 wrote:

How can this be?

Don't worry,  some AT&T fanboy, or maybe even an AT&T employee, will tell you why this:

1. isn't a problem

3. is your problem because didn't you read the contract and/or the Terms of Service?

Fanboys ??   your turn.

Re: Data charges on wifi

2 of 10 (1,189 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2011 5:51:17 PM
(0)
Employee
when the screen goes off it can and will disable wifi and revert back to the mobile network. VVM will always use the mobile network and never wifi also.
trust me, data recorded is data used.
when the screen goes off it can and will disable wifi and revert back to the mobile network. VVM will always use the mobile network and never wifi also.
trust me, data recorded is data used.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 10 (1,183 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2011 6:48:25 PM
(0)
Professor
When you are sitting at you desk, are you letting the phone go to sleep (screen turns off)? When the phone goes to sleep, it reverts to 3G after a while to save battery power, even if a wireless signal still is available. You can override this by by plugging in the phone to a power source. As long as it's on external power, it will stay on wireless.
When you are sitting at you desk, are you letting the phone go to sleep (screen turns off)? When the phone goes to sleep, it reverts to 3G after a while to save battery power, even if a wireless signal still is available. You can override this by by plugging in the phone to a power source. As long as it's on external power, it will stay on wireless.

4 of 10 (1,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2011 4:20:51 AM
(0)
Professor

wireless-user wrote:

Dbear13 wrote:

How can this be?

1. isn't a problem

Fanboys ??   your turn.

So exactly what was the point of you even commenting?  If you are so frustrated/annoyed with AT&T, simply leave.

Nothing about your posting offers any help or is in any way related to the OP's question.

As for the OP, Visual Voice Mail and MMS always use data, they cannot use Wi-Fi.

As others have pointed out, anytime the screen turns off and the device is not connected to external power, Wi-Fi turns off.

The only way to guarantee you're not using Cellular data is to turn it off in Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data.

wireless-user wrote:

Dbear13 wrote:

How can this be?

1. isn't a problem

Fanboys ??   your turn.

So exactly what was the point of you even commenting?  If you are so frustrated/annoyed with AT&T, simply leave.

Nothing about your posting offers any help or is in any way related to the OP's question.

As for the OP, Visual Voice Mail and MMS always use data, they cannot use Wi-Fi.

As others have pointed out, anytime the screen turns off and the device is not connected to external power, Wi-Fi turns off.

The only way to guarantee you're not using Cellular data is to turn it off in Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data.

5 of 10 (1,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2011 7:46:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Dbear13 wrote:

How can this be?

I don't know anything about DataMan, so I cannot comment either way on the accuracy of what it's showing you.

These two things might explain what you're seeing:

* Visual voicemail *always* uses 3G data.

* an active data connection started in 3G/edge won't automatically stop and restart via wifi when you enter wifi coverage - it will continue to use whatever method it used before until it completes and disconnects.

Also as noted by others, 15 minutes after your iPhone screen goes dark, wifi turns off and it switches back to 3G, *unless* its being charged/powered.

To be SURE not to use cellular data, turn it Off in settings - Settings/General/Network, Cellular Data: Off.

Once you turn that off, you will not use any cellular data.

This is all under the iPhone's control - it has nothing to do with AT&T, other than they are your provider. If you had a Verizon iPhone4, you'd see exactly the same thing.

Dbear13 wrote:

How can this be?

I don't know anything about DataMan, so I cannot comment either way on the accuracy of what it's showing you.

These two things might explain what you're seeing:

* Visual voicemail *always* uses 3G data.

* an active data connection started in 3G/edge won't automatically stop and restart via wifi when you enter wifi coverage - it will continue to use whatever method it used before until it completes and disconnects.

Also as noted by others, 15 minutes after your iPhone screen goes dark, wifi turns off and it switches back to 3G, *unless* its being charged/powered.

To be SURE not to use cellular data, turn it Off in settings - Settings/General/Network, Cellular Data: Off.

Once you turn that off, you will not use any cellular data.

This is all under the iPhone's control - it has nothing to do with AT&T, other than they are your provider. If you had a Verizon iPhone4, you'd see exactly the same thing.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 10 (1,136 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2011 11:51:38 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by pamelaz on Jul 16, 2011 at 1:06:29 PM

satchev wrote:

So, exactly what was the point of you even commenting?  If you are so frustrated/annoyed with AT&T, simply leave.

Well, I knew that you couldn't resist proving my point..

{Please keep it courteous}

satchev wrote:

So, exactly what was the point of you even commenting?  If you are so frustrated/annoyed with AT&T, simply leave.

Well, I knew that you couldn't resist proving my point..

{Please keep it courteous}

[ Edited ]
7 of 10 (1,123 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2011 1:06:59 PM
(0)
Former Moderator

Hello everyone, let's remember to stay on topic and always keep it nice. Thank you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hello everyone, let's remember to stay on topic and always keep it nice. Thank you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

8 of 10 (1,115 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 2:05:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

I don't use Visual VM or MMS, but I do have it disconnected from time to time. I didn't know it automatically rolled over to 3G every time the screen goes off. And I didn't know you could turn off 3G data. Thanks, that's what I needed to know. It's annyoing that it does that, but at least I can disable it.

I don't use Visual VM or MMS, but I do have it disconnected from time to time. I didn't know it automatically rolled over to 3G every time the screen goes off. And I didn't know you could turn off 3G data. Thanks, that's what I needed to know. It's annyoing that it does that, but at least I can disable it.

9 of 10 (1,024 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 4:11:27 PM
(0)
Professor
Note that you need to turn off cellular data, not just 3G which is a different option. Just turning off 3G will only make the phone drop to EDGE. You'll still use the same amount of cell data, but it will be slower. Make sure you shut off the cell data completely.
Note that you need to turn off cellular data, not just 3G which is a different option. Just turning off 3G will only make the phone drop to EDGE. You'll still use the same amount of cell data, but it will be slower. Make sure you shut off the cell data completely.

10 of 10 (1,015 Views)