Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 1, 2012
9:51:52 AM
View profile
Data charges appearing every time time I turn my phone on and off

Hello all.

As I review my data usage, my billing shows a Internet/MediaNet transactions every morning when I power up my phone (anywhere from 5000KB 17000KB) and when I shut it off at night (anywhere from 500KB  to 1500KB).

What should I be looking for that might potentially be generating these charges?

Phone is used primarily for voice calls and text messages. No Facebook or games or newsfeeds.

Thanks and best regards

Hello all.

As I review my data usage, my billing shows a Internet/MediaNet transactions every morning when I power up my phone (anywhere from 5000KB 17000KB) and when I shut it off at night (anywhere from 500KB  to 1500KB).

What should I be looking for that might potentially be generating these charges?

Phone is used primarily for voice calls and text messages. No Facebook or games or newsfeeds.

Thanks and best regards

Data charges appearing every time time I turn my phone on and off

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2012 12:36:53 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

We capture your data activity nightly to create a bill record in our systems.

This will appear on your bill to be a late night charge, but in fact, the time stamp reflects the time that your device established a connection to the network, not the time that you sent or received data. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

We capture your data activity nightly to create a bill record in our systems.

This will appear on your bill to be a late night charge, but in fact, the time stamp reflects the time that your device established a connection to the network, not the time that you sent or received data. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Data charges appearing every time time I turn my phone on and off

2 of 6 (770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 3:02:21 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi.

Thanks.

Phone is only being used to make phone calls and text messages.

Where do I look to try and determine what activity on my phone is causing these data charges?

No download activity is taking place, no data streaming applications are running, phone is enabled to automatically use the wi-fi in my home when when there, etc.

Can more details be provided on the specific times during the day when large data transfers may take place.

Since this is a 4G phone, can some type of data transfers be taking place that are just standard that I am not aware of?

Best regards

Hi.

Thanks.

Phone is only being used to make phone calls and text messages.

Where do I look to try and determine what activity on my phone is causing these data charges?

No download activity is taking place, no data streaming applications are running, phone is enabled to automatically use the wi-fi in my home when when there, etc.

Can more details be provided on the specific times during the day when large data transfers may take place.

Since this is a 4G phone, can some type of data transfers be taking place that are just standard that I am not aware of?

Best regards

3 of 6 (735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 5:12:20 AM
(0)
Guru
If it's an Android phone, you actually turn the data connection on and off: Menu/Setting/Wireless/Mobile Network/Mobile Data You can also download apps and widgets to do it. There are also apps that check which apps are eating your data. If you can root your phone you can install Droidwall which can block specific apps for using your data. Good luck - ATT has no reason to want to help you with this because the more data you use the more $$$$$ they make.
If it's an Android phone, you actually turn the data connection on and off: Menu/Setting/Wireless/Mobile Network/Mobile Data You can also download apps and widgets to do it. There are also apps that check which apps are eating your data. If you can root your phone you can install Droidwall which can block specific apps for using your data. Good luck - ATT has no reason to want to help you with this because the more data you use the more $$$$$ they make.

4 of 6 (733 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 9:28:49 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

There could be apps that are updating, your wifi setting could be shutting off when your phone goes to "sleep"...

What kind of phone are you using? As Harryspar mentioned, you can turn off cellular data to completely block any data usage. 

Android: Menu/Setting/Wireless/Mobile Network/Mobile Data

iOS: Settings/General/Network/Cellular Data

Windows: Settings/Cellular/Data Connection/Off

--------------

There could be apps that are updating, your wifi setting could be shutting off when your phone goes to "sleep"...

What kind of phone are you using? As Harryspar mentioned, you can turn off cellular data to completely block any data usage. 

Android: Menu/Setting/Wireless/Mobile Network/Mobile Data

iOS: Settings/General/Network/Cellular Data

Windows: Settings/Cellular/Data Connection/Off

--------------

5 of 6 (723 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2012 4:22:50 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi Harry.

Thanks for these excellent tips.

I checked all of my phone data settings (conected to my home Wi-Fi, Data Saver turned on so that downloads are not performed until connected to a wi-fi network, etc.).

I also installed the app Onavo Count list night to track my data usage by application and over time.

I will monitor data usage from the AT&T site and compare to this data tracker application.

If this data tracker shows no usage yet the AT&T data transactions continue to appear, I will be heading to the AT&T store where I purchased this Motorola Atrix phone and get their assistance to investigate what is going on.

Best regards

Hi Harry.

Thanks for these excellent tips.

I checked all of my phone data settings (conected to my home Wi-Fi, Data Saver turned on so that downloads are not performed until connected to a wi-fi network, etc.).

I also installed the app Onavo Count list night to track my data usage by application and over time.

I will monitor data usage from the AT&T site and compare to this data tracker application.

If this data tracker shows no usage yet the AT&T data transactions continue to appear, I will be heading to the AT&T store where I purchased this Motorola Atrix phone and get their assistance to investigate what is going on.

Best regards

6 of 6 (703 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments