Posted Jun 5, 2012
9:08:52 AM
View profile
Data block on iphone?
Edited by ShaunMN on Jun 5, 2012 at 10:02:35 AM

I know this might not be close to where this conversation is but it is about the data plan process. 

I have a regular phone that I have a regular plan on.  My dad blocked me from accessing the data because when it was in my purse it would accidentally access it it at unwanted times.  We did that as so not to rack up a bill on the account for things that were not intended.   

Now I have heard what people have been saying that when AT&T find out that it is in an iphone it will automatically put it on a data plan if you don't have one.  But what if it was blocked to where I could not get onto the internet or the data already with the wireless provider, will I still be put on a data plan?  Will I still have to pay however much it is for the lowest data plan out there? 

I would like to know this so I can use the iPhone as a phone instead of having two phones, with one out of commission.

Thanks,

Mae

{subject edited as new topic was created}

I know this might not be close to where this conversation is but it is about the data plan process. 

I have a regular phone that I have a regular plan on.  My dad blocked me from accessing the data because when it was in my purse it would accidentally access it it at unwanted times.  We did that as so not to rack up a bill on the account for things that were not intended.   

Now I have heard what people have been saying that when AT&T find out that it is in an iphone it will automatically put it on a data plan if you don't have one.  But what if it was blocked to where I could not get onto the internet or the data already with the wireless provider, will I still be put on a data plan?  Will I still have to pay however much it is for the lowest data plan out there? 

I would like to know this so I can use the iPhone as a phone instead of having two phones, with one out of commission.

Thanks,

Mae

Data block on iphone?

[ Edited ]
12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2012 10:04:23 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by youngjm on Jun 5, 2012 at 10:05:07 AM

ubermae wrote:

Thanks,

Mae

If you use an iPhone on the network, they will add an appropriate data plan.  The data block does not stop this.  If you dad does not want you using data then the iPhone is not a phone for you.

The lowest price is $20/month for 300mb/month.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

ubermae wrote:

Thanks,

Mae

If you use an iPhone on the network, they will add an appropriate data plan.  The data block does not stop this.  If you dad does not want you using data then the iPhone is not a phone for you.

The lowest price is $20/month for 300mb/month.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Data block on iphone?

[ Edited ]
2 of 13 (5,835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2012 1:11:18 PM
(0)
Guru

The only way to use an Iphone on AT&T without having a data plan attached is to use it on PREPAYD. You can transfer your current phone number from a Post Paid account to Pre Paid if you want the same phone number. You will have voice and txt, but have to have WiFi available to use any data.

The only way to use an Iphone on AT&T without having a data plan attached is to use it on PREPAYD. You can transfer your current phone number from a Post Paid account to Pre Paid if you want the same phone number. You will have voice and txt, but have to have WiFi available to use any data.

3 of 13 (5,784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2012 1:37:07 PM
(0)
Guru
The iphone is not supported as a prepaid phone on AT&T.
The iphone is not supported as a prepaid phone on AT&T.

4 of 13 (5,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2012 2:46:26 PM
(0)
Master
The 3GS is supported as pre-paid.

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

5 of 13 (5,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2012 4:19:38 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jun 6, 2012 at 4:20:38 AM

youngjm wrote:

3GS or 3G? I thought it was only the 3G according to another poster, but have not been alble to verifiy it. Any time I asked was told no iphone is supported

youngjm wrote:

3GS or 3G? I thought it was only the 3G according to another poster, but have not been alble to verifiy it. Any time I asked was told no iphone is supported

[ Edited ]
6 of 13 (5,728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2012 4:28:40 AM
(0)
Employee

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

I didn't think any version of the iPhone was officially supported on pre-paid, though many people have reported getting them to work on pre-paid.

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

I didn't think any version of the iPhone was officially supported on pre-paid, though many people have reported getting them to work on pre-paid.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 13 (5,724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2012 6:33:13 AM
(0)
Expert

sandblaster wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

thatis what I thought also - but another poster claims they where told the 3G is supported.

sandblaster wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

thatis what I thought also - but another poster claims they where told the 3G is supported.

8 of 13 (5,715 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2012 8:01:48 AM
(0)
Mentor

Yeah, but who was that poster's source?

We all have to be carefull of "...hearing it from a guy, who's friend's mom's cousin, who works as a janitor for the mall where an AT&T store is located..."

We all have to be carefull of "...hearing it from a guy, who's friend's mom's cousin, who works as a janitor for the mall where an AT&T store is located..."

9 of 13 (5,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2012 8:31:45 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jun 6, 2012 at 8:34:50 AM

Revenge Of DG wrote:

easy to find - claims they got it in writing from ATT, but have never seen any documentation - IE "claimed" so have no chain of evidence that can prove or disprove it

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Apple-Community-Discussion/iPhone-as-Gophone/m-p/3216763/message-u...

Revenge Of DG wrote:

easy to find - claims they got it in writing from ATT, but have never seen any documentation - IE "claimed" so have no chain of evidence that can prove or disprove it

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Apple-Community-Discussion/iPhone-as-Gophone/m-p/3216763/message-uid/3216763#U3216763

[ Edited ]
10 of 13 (5,696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2012 12:40:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have had a similar problem on 2 different billing cycles now. My wifes phone is on wifi about 90% of the time, so I have it at the 200mb plan. Then I'll get a message saying it has gone over only a few days into the cycle and it usually happens at 11 pm when I know the phone is at the house on wifi. ATT has credited my bill each time, but I would still like to know how it keeps going over on data. When I check the bill, it always shows one large usage when I know the phone is at home on wifi. Seems like they have a glitch somewhere.

I have had a similar problem on 2 different billing cycles now. My wifes phone is on wifi about 90% of the time, so I have it at the 200mb plan. Then I'll get a message saying it has gone over only a few days into the cycle and it usually happens at 11 pm when I know the phone is at the house on wifi. ATT has credited my bill each time, but I would still like to know how it keeps going over on data. When I check the bill, it always shows one large usage when I know the phone is at home on wifi. Seems like they have a glitch somewhere.

11 of 13 (5,672 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 8, 2012 10:14:18 PM
(0)
Guru

If the phone is not plugged into a power source at night, the wi-fi switches off as soon as the phone goes into sleep mode. If you have the option to send diagnostic information turned on, then it's entirely possible that it's doing so using the cellular network at night if the phone is on and not plugged in.

If the phone is not plugged into a power source at night, the wi-fi switches off as soon as the phone goes into sleep mode. If you have the option to send diagnostic information turned on, then it's entirely possible that it's doing so using the cellular network at night if the phone is on and not plugged in.

12 of 13 (5,600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2012 7:00:16 AM
(0)
Scholar

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

What I find somewhat ironic is that Apple had chosen to limit the App Store app in such a way that there is (was?  IDK if the app size limit has changed since it was first implemented) a byte size limit on how large an app can be downloaded from the App Store over 3G, yet allows the option to upload a fairly large diagnostic file(s) over 3G (I reckon the diagnostic file is pretty huge--otherwise why bother disabling it from being uploaded to Apple because people think it eats into their data usage allotment).

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

What I find somewhat ironic is that Apple had chosen to limit the App Store app in such a way that there is (was?  IDK if the app size limit has changed since it was first implemented) a byte size limit on how large an app can be downloaded from the App Store over 3G, yet allows the option to upload a fairly large diagnostic file(s) over 3G (I reckon the diagnostic file is pretty huge--otherwise why bother disabling it from being uploaded to Apple because people think it eats into their data usage allotment).

13 of 13 (5,551 Views)