Wireless Forums

Posted Sep 13, 2010
4:42:35 AM
View profile
Data Usage

If I am connected to WiFi, does this override my data?  In other words does using WiFi still count towards my data usage for the month?

Also, does using apps like the Facebook App use data?  If I am using WiFi, do my apps still use up my monthy data?

If I am connected to WiFi, does this override my data?  In other words does using WiFi still count towards my data usage for the month?

Also, does using apps like the Facebook App use data?  If I am using WiFi, do my apps still use up my monthy data?

Data Usage

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2010 5:55:47 PM
(0)
Guru

If your phone is showing the wifi icon instead of 3g or e, it is using wifi and you are not charged for that data.  Apps like facebook do use data because you are uploading and downloading data from the internet.  These apps do work on wifi and the cellular data network, so the same applies above.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.

If your phone is showing the wifi icon instead of 3g or e, it is using wifi and you are not charged for that data.  Apps like facebook do use data because you are uploading and downloading data from the internet.  These apps do work on wifi and the cellular data network, so the same applies above.

Sent from my iPhone 4

Re: Data Usage

2 of 5 (7,534 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2010 6:40:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

So just to make sure...that means that as long as I don't see the 3g or e sign, I'm not being charged for data usage even if I'm using facebook and email?

I recently purchased a new phone and it gives me the option of turning off MMS & Data together...Since I don't have a data plan, I have it turned off because I was thinking I might get charged. Am I correct in this assumption?

Thank You.

So just to make sure...that means that as long as I don't see the 3g or e sign, I'm not being charged for data usage even if I'm using facebook and email?

I recently purchased a new phone and it gives me the option of turning off MMS & Data together...Since I don't have a data plan, I have it turned off because I was thinking I might get charged. Am I correct in this assumption?

Thank You.

3 of 5 (7,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 10:01:42 PM
(0)
Professor

BlackRose0521 wrote:

That is correct.

Turning off MMS & Data is always a good thing to do when using Wi-Fi because some phones will switch between Wi-Fi and data several times and if you're not watching nonstop, data charges will pile up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

BlackRose0521 wrote:

That is correct.

Turning off MMS & Data is always a good thing to do when using Wi-Fi because some phones will switch between Wi-Fi and data several times and if you're not watching nonstop, data charges will pile up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

4 of 5 (7,395 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2010 4:17:33 PM
(0)
Mentor

click_clack wrote:

Huh, plz explain.  When on wi-fi, a person is connected to the Internet, and using apps like Facebook, Weather reports, Hotmail, etc., should not be charged against data usage.  Nevertheless, in my experience, I'm using data even though I'm strictly on strong wi-fi.  Comments?  Thanks.

click_clack wrote:

Huh, plz explain.  When on wi-fi, a person is connected to the Internet, and using apps like Facebook, Weather reports, Hotmail, etc., should not be charged against data usage.  Nevertheless, in my experience, I'm using data even though I'm strictly on strong wi-fi.  Comments?  Thanks.

5 of 5 (6,039 Views)