Helpful Links

Data Usage??

Contributor

Data Usage??

Joe

Hello

I am new to AT&T and I have a question,  I have a family package with unlimited txt and unlimited instant messaging, and have 2GB of data, now my question is when I use Gtalk, Yahoo or any other instant messaging app it does not go against my data as I understand, but is there a way to separate the 2 instant messaging and actual data used.  Cause my iphone show just total data used and it takes in to account instant messaging.  This is very confusing cause i would like to know how much actual data i used without my instant messaging.  Can anyone please help with this problem.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
Employee

Re: Data Usage??

shouldn't take into account for IM. Well actually, GTalk I believe uses data. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Any IM including Yahoo, MSN and GTalk they all use the same data, it clearly states this here:

Includes:

• Unlimited messages

The freedom to message any way to anyone

Unlimited text, picture, video, and Instant Messaging (IM) messages.

Text messaging
  • Private, to-the-point communication
  • Just type the message, pick a wireless phone number, and send

Picture and video messaging
  • Share a smile, a cute moment, or that thing you just have to buy
  • Snap the photo or video with your camera phone, pick a mobile phone or email address, and send

Instant Messaging
  • Chat real-time with IM on your phone
  • Use AOL® Instant Messenger, Yahoo!®, and Windows Live Messenger®

Learn more
Here is the link:
So if you go by the above statement i should not get charged for my Instant Chats.
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Employee

Joek71 
You are correct with the details of the plan. If someone on there home computer is on a Instant Messenger service and knows your number and sends you a SMS via their home computer on that Instant Messenger that is included. Now if you are going to a completely different application on the device that it not under "Messaging" your are accessing the internet.

joek71 wrote:

Any IM including Yahoo, MSN and GTalk they all use the same data, it clearly states this here:

Includes:

• Unlimited messages

The freedom to message any way to anyone

Unlimited text, picture, video, and Instant Messaging (IM) messages.

Text messaging
  • Private, to-the-point communication
  • Just type the message, pick a wireless phone number, and send

Picture and video messaging
  • Share a smile, a cute moment, or that thing you just have to buy
  • Snap the photo or video with your camera phone, pick a mobile phone or email address, and send

Instant Messaging
  • Chat real-time with IM on your phone
  • Use AOL® Instant Messenger, Yahoo!®, and Windows Live Messenger®

Learn more
Here is the link:
So if you go by the above statement i should not get charged for my Instant Chats.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support