Helpful Links

Data Usage??

Contributor

Data Usage??

Joe

Hello

I am new to AT&T and I have a question,  I have a family package with unlimited txt and unlimited instant messaging, and have 2GB of data, now my question is when I use Gtalk, Yahoo or any other instant messaging app it does not go against my data as I understand, but is there a way to separate the 2 instant messaging and actual data used.  Cause my iphone show just total data used and it takes in to account instant messaging.  This is very confusing cause i would like to know how much actual data i used without my instant messaging.  Can anyone please help with this problem.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
Employee

Re: Data Usage??

shouldn't take into account for IM. Well actually, GTalk I believe uses data. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Any IM including Yahoo, MSN and GTalk they all use the same data, it clearly states this here:

Includes:

• Unlimited messages

The freedom to message any way to anyone

Unlimited text, picture, video, and Instant Messaging (IM) messages.

Text messaging
  • Private, to-the-point communication
  • Just type the message, pick a wireless phone number, and send

Picture and video messaging
  • Share a smile, a cute moment, or that thing you just have to buy
  • Snap the photo or video with your camera phone, pick a mobile phone or email address, and send

Instant Messaging
  • Chat real-time with IM on your phone
  • Use AOL® Instant Messenger, Yahoo!®, and Windows Live Messenger®

Learn more
Here is the link:
So if you go by the above statement i should not get charged for my Instant Chats.
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Employee

Joek71 
You are correct with the details of the plan. If someone on there home computer is on a Instant Messenger service and knows your number and sends you a SMS via their home computer on that Instant Messenger that is included. Now if you are going to a completely different application on the device that it not under "Messaging" your are accessing the internet.

joek71 wrote:

Any IM including Yahoo, MSN and GTalk they all use the same data, it clearly states this here:

Includes:

• Unlimited messages

The freedom to message any way to anyone

Unlimited text, picture, video, and Instant Messaging (IM) messages.

Text messaging
  • Private, to-the-point communication
  • Just type the message, pick a wireless phone number, and send

Picture and video messaging
  • Share a smile, a cute moment, or that thing you just have to buy
  • Snap the photo or video with your camera phone, pick a mobile phone or email address, and send

Instant Messaging
  • Chat real-time with IM on your phone
  • Use AOL® Instant Messenger, Yahoo!®, and Windows Live Messenger®

Learn more
Here is the link:
So if you go by the above statement i should not get charged for my Instant Chats.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support