Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted May 29, 2012
12:33:31 PM
View profile
Data Usage - HELP PLEASE

We have a 4-phone family plan and 2 of the phones have minimum data usage on them (they are normally only used when wi-fi is available).  For the last 2 months, one of the phones has met the minimum data usage and gone over (last month's bill was a shock).  Now today, I got an alert that she had reached her data usage....but here is the kicker (I have had that phone with me turned off ALL DAY).  How could the data have been used when the phone wasn't even turned on?  I am at my wit's end.  Is it possible for a phone # to be hacked and someone else be using our number to somehow access internet?  Thank you for any help you can give.

We have a 4-phone family plan and 2 of the phones have minimum data usage on them (they are normally only used when wi-fi is available).  For the last 2 months, one of the phones has met the minimum data usage and gone over (last month's bill was a shock).  Now today, I got an alert that she had reached her data usage....but here is the kicker (I have had that phone with me turned off ALL DAY).  How could the data have been used when the phone wasn't even turned on?  I am at my wit's end.  Is it possible for a phone # to be hacked and someone else be using our number to somehow access internet?  Thank you for any help you can give.

Data Usage - HELP PLEASE

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2012 8:06:35 PM
(0)
Employee
Data can be delayed by 24 to 48 hours so it doesn't mean it was used today
Data can be delayed by 24 to 48 hours so it doesn't mean it was used today
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Data Usage - HELP PLEASE

2 of 5 (614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2012 12:08:29 PM
(0)
Guru

Has something changed on the phone that went over? Has a new app been installed within the last couple of months? You don't say how far over her allotment that user went.

While I don't want to say it's impossible, it's not at all likely that anything nefarious (like hacking) is going on.

Has something changed on the phone that went over? Has a new app been installed within the last couple of months? You don't say how far over her allotment that user went.

While I don't want to say it's impossible, it's not at all likely that anything nefarious (like hacking) is going on.

3 of 5 (580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2012 7:32:46 AM
(0)
Contributor
That happens to me all the time, there seem to be a lot a data downloads in the early morning when our phones are doing nothing but sit on the nightstand connected to WIFI, AT&T refuses to help me in identifying what it is even though it eats data from the data plan - thank you for being on an unlimited plan!!!!
That happens to me all the time, there seem to be a lot a data downloads in the early morning when our phones are doing nothing but sit on the nightstand connected to WIFI, AT&T refuses to help me in identifying what it is even though it eats data from the data plan - thank you for being on an unlimited plan!!!!

4 of 5 (506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2012 7:40:32 AM
(0)
Professor
Turn off data before using WIFI.
Turn off data before using WIFI.

5 of 5 (503 Views)