Data Usage - HELP PLEASE

Contributor

Data Usage - HELP PLEASE

We have a 4-phone family plan and 2 of the phones have minimum data usage on them (they are normally only used when wi-fi is available).  For the last 2 months, one of the phones has met the minimum data usage and gone over (last month's bill was a shock).  Now today, I got an alert that she had reached her data usage....but here is the kicker (I have had that phone with me turned off ALL DAY).  How could the data have been used when the phone wasn't even turned on?  I am at my wit's end.  Is it possible for a phone # to be hacked and someone else be using our number to somehow access internet?  Thank you for any help you can give.

Message 1 of 5 (651 Views)
Employee

Re: Data Usage - HELP PLEASE

Data can be delayed by 24 to 48 hours so it doesn't mean it was used today
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 5 (624 Views)
Highlighted

Has something changed on the phone that went over? Has a new app been installed within the last couple of months? You don't say how far over her allotment that user went.

While I don't want to say it's impossible, it's not at all likely that anything nefarious (like hacking) is going on.

Message 3 of 5 (590 Views)
Contributor

That happens to me all the time, there seem to be a lot a data downloads in the early morning when our phones are doing nothing but sit on the nightstand connected to WIFI, AT&T refuses to help me in identifying what it is even though it eats data from the data plan - thank you for being on an unlimited plan!!!!
Message 4 of 5 (516 Views)
Professor

Turn off data before using WIFI.
Message 5 of 5 (513 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.