Data Speeds: Crippled to 300k/s UPLOAD MAX. HSUPA Disabled.

Mentor

Data Speeds: Crippled to 300k/s UPLOAD MAX. HSUPA Disabled.

This seems to be an ongoing problem for all of AT&Ts new android devices, but most prevelant is the new Inspire 4g and Atrix 4g in which for some ungodly reason HSUPA is disabled in the modem firmware.  What this means to us customers is we are able to still get great download speeds, but our upload speeds are CAPPED to a max of 300k/s.  This results in poorer performance then expected, increased latency, and in all a less capable device.

To make an example, I am an early adopter of the Motorola Atrix... coming from both a Dell streak and HTC Nexus One on ATT I am well aware of the performance of the network in my area.  Using the android application speed test.net, I am regularly and consistantly able to obtain results of speeds showing 2500k/s download speeds and 2500k/s UPLOAD speeds using the Dell streak OR nexus one on the EXACT SAME sim card, APN settings, and location as I use my ATRIX in.  However when using the atrix for the last day, with over 25 simultanious tests... I was only able to obtain results of at best 2000k/s download speeds.... and the shocker A BEST OF 107k/s UPLOAD SPEEDS.  Keep in mind this was with full signal in the same exact location back to back as the dell streak using the same sim card.

These results are abismal.  They point to a flaw, likely encouraged by AT&T.  For what ever reason it was decided to cripple the upload speeds, it is a poor reason.  THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED.  THIS NEEDS TO BE CHANGED.  IT NEEDS TO BE DONE IMMEDIATELY.

Please post if you have had similar issues if you have an Atrix or Inspire.  Install speedtest.net app from the android market and test your self! 

This is a call to action for AT&T.  Please do not disappoint your loyal customers, all we ask is for a properly functioning data connection to be fixed!

Message 1 of 182 (7,690 Views)
Scholar

Re: Data Speeds: Crippled to 300k/s UPLOAD MAX. HSUPA Disabled.

They should at least remove the cap for the 4G devices (Atrix and Inspire). It can be easily done with an OTA update...
Message 91 of 182 (1,543 Views)
Mentor

No Doubt... especially since the Atrix especially is a "flagship device"

Message 92 of 182 (1,531 Views)
Contributor

AT&T confirmed that this phone will have LTE when it is rolled out.

Chat

Message 93 of 182 (1,484 Views)
Tutor

Both my Atrix and Inspire are going back! This just sucks! Way to go AT&T Heading to Tmobile after work!

Message 94 of 182 (1,480 Views)
Master

Message 95 of 182 (1,459 Views)
Tutor

returned both phones. what a scam. 30 day return period and a 35.00 restocking fee on each device. I am heading to competitors tomorrow at lunch to see what they have to offer.

Message 96 of 182 (1,378 Views)
Mentor

I would not had to pay it...are you kidding me ? They seeling you crippled phones and charge you a restocking fee...not right

Message 97 of 182 (1,318 Views)
Tutor

It is shameful. I am only visitig this forum now just to see if there is an update to this issue. But, I am done with at&t. porting two of my four lines today at lunch and maybe even the others that would have an early termination fee.

Message 98 of 182 (1,303 Views)
gbh
Mentor

sdlopez83 wrote:

Your mistaken and mad for the wrong reason.  It is a 4g Phone but they do tell you that 4g Is not turned on yet.  Only in select markets such as test markets.  I think somone in Utah was getting it.  Anyway You shouldn't be mad that you do not get 4g,  you will get it eventually.  You should be mad that you have a upload cap of 300k andmost have a down of 1.5....   The 3g is the issue. 

Wrong, wrong, wrong. I am in one of those lucky initial live markets where they have it all operational. You can go on their map and it even shows it bathed in 4G, HSPA+ goodness.  The upload speeds are still capped (never better than 350) and the download speeds are usually 2 to 3, sometimes 4 and at their very, very best once in a blue moon (e.g., middle of the night when everyone is asleep) 5 tops.  This is on an Atrix.  My family's iphone 4 has been getting well over 1.2 Mb upload for close to a year and routinely 5 down and is faster both up and down than the Atrix.  With my Sprint wimax samsung Epic 4g I get 1.2 up, and usually at least 5 down (sometimes up to 10 down).

Message 99 of 182 (1,296 Views)
gbh
Mentor

adamruby wrote:

AT&T confirmed that this phone will have LTE when it is rolled out.

Chat

Wrong, wrong, wrong.  The AT&T person is simply wrong.  The device will not access LTE when it comes out.  LTE requires completely different radios and chipsets.  Don't believe it. They don't understand.

Message 100 of 182 (1,292 Views)
gbh
Mentor

jtorral wrote:

returned both phones. what a scam. 30 day return period and a 35.00 restocking fee on each device. I am heading to competitors tomorrow at lunch to see what they have to offer.

Use Best Buy in the future.  They do not charge restocking fees.

Message 101 of 182 (1,510 Views)
Scholar

http://m.pocketnow.com/android/htc-incredible-s-software-review-video

Icredible S on T-Mobile network has better download/upload speeds and is a 3G (no hspa+ chip) phone...
Message 102 of 182 (1,504 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Nothing better than a incompetent AT&T rep...I was told that I have to give up my unlimited data plan and that the Atrix 4G is LTE compatible. I just left the store and went to buy it at Bestbuy!

On a side note, 791 signatures...

Message 103 of 182 (1,482 Views)
Mentor

Hmm I just called the president's office to follow up on my complaint, was told that my case was closed and that a letter has been sent to me. Now this is weird...

Message 104 of 182 (1,475 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Wow. 791. That ain't no joke. I can't wait to hear what the letter says. Probably a brushoff/form letter. That's right,.....case closed! Likeit or lumpit!

They told me that too,that 4G phones have LTE. U can't fix "stupid",so keepit movin!
Message 105 of 182 (1,411 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.