Data Speeds: Crippled to 300k/s UPLOAD MAX. HSUPA Disabled.

Mentor

Data Speeds: Crippled to 300k/s UPLOAD MAX. HSUPA Disabled.

This seems to be an ongoing problem for all of AT&Ts new android devices, but most prevelant is the new Inspire 4g and Atrix 4g in which for some ungodly reason HSUPA is disabled in the modem firmware.  What this means to us customers is we are able to still get great download speeds, but our upload speeds are CAPPED to a max of 300k/s.  This results in poorer performance then expected, increased latency, and in all a less capable device.

To make an example, I am an early adopter of the Motorola Atrix... coming from both a Dell streak and HTC Nexus One on ATT I am well aware of the performance of the network in my area.  Using the android application speed test.net, I am regularly and consistantly able to obtain results of speeds showing 2500k/s download speeds and 2500k/s UPLOAD speeds using the Dell streak OR nexus one on the EXACT SAME sim card, APN settings, and location as I use my ATRIX in.  However when using the atrix for the last day, with over 25 simultanious tests... I was only able to obtain results of at best 2000k/s download speeds.... and the shocker A BEST OF 107k/s UPLOAD SPEEDS.  Keep in mind this was with full signal in the same exact location back to back as the dell streak using the same sim card.

These results are abismal.  They point to a flaw, likely encouraged by AT&T.  For what ever reason it was decided to cripple the upload speeds, it is a poor reason.  THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED.  THIS NEEDS TO BE CHANGED.  IT NEEDS TO BE DONE IMMEDIATELY.

Please post if you have had similar issues if you have an Atrix or Inspire.  Install speedtest.net app from the android market and test your self! 

This is a call to action for AT&T.  Please do not disappoint your loyal customers, all we ask is for a properly functioning data connection to be fixed!

Message 1 of 182 (7,701 Views)
Scholar

Re: Data Speeds: Crippled to 300k/s UPLOAD MAX. HSUPA Disabled.

Scotchester wrote:

cortez wrote:
no... i installed a Euro Desire HD ROM & Telus kernel on the Inspire4G, tested internet speeds, then i  installed a rooted stock, Insire4G ROM with a stock kernel and tested the speeds again.

Interesting... from that it sounds like the radio was updgraded when you did the first part, and left unchanged when you did the second part.

nope, that is not the case.  with Android, you can flash the ROM and Radio separately and most all custom ROMs that i use for HTC devices do not include the radio. (i apologize if you knew this already).  the radio on my device is, and in both instances above, the stock at&t radio.

Message 31 of 182 (1,883 Views)
Mentor

cortez wrote:

Scotchester wrote:

cortez wrote:
no... i installed a Euro Desire HD ROM & Telus kernel on the Inspire4G, tested internet speeds, then i  installed a rooted stock, Insire4G ROM with a stock kernel and tested the speeds again.

Interesting... from that it sounds like the radio was updgraded when you did the first part, and left unchanged when you did the second part.

nope, that is not the case.  with Android, you can flash the ROM and Radio separately and most all custom ROMs that i use for HTC devices do not include the radio. (i apologize if you knew this already).  the radio on my device is, and in both instances above, the stock at&t radio.

So how can we explain how you're getting those speeds?

Message 32 of 182 (1,880 Views)
Scholar

Scotchester wrote:

cortez wrote:

Scotchester wrote:

cortez wrote:

So how can we explain how you're getting those speeds?

my unscientific response based on my unscientific tests:  upload speeds are controlled by software.  Smiley Happy

Message 33 of 182 (1,859 Views)

This is absolutely ridiculous. I live in Orlando Fl where for 3 months I was getting the most horrible signal ever experienced in the 8 years I've had AT&T. After talking with reps in their stores and over the phone I was told that the dropped calls and poor signal was Orlando was a test market for their 4G as well as an area where they were back hauling to support 4G. Well it is almost March now and AT&T claims to have their 4G rolled out (in select areas of course and Orlando being one of them) along with their awesome new 4G phones of which I have the atrix and to my surprise not only am I getting the same dropped calls and poor signal as I did with my 3G device (LG Quantum) but I'm also getting the same upload and download speeds even though my device shows me the fancy little H+. So what exactly is going on here AT&T?! Are your 4G upgrades to your towers actually working? Are you lying to all of us with promises of 4G(14+Mbps) but capping us users that refuse to give into the fad that is the iphone just so that your can reserve bandwidth for customers that are paying the exact same amount as I am monthly? AT&T needs to get their act together because from what I can tell their 4G (which is more like 3G+) at this point in time is none existent, as all current owners of a 4G device on their network that live in 4G areas are experiencing nothing but crippled 3G speeds.
Message 34 of 182 (1,769 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I have been waiting for this phone but not buying it now. I might leave AT&T if they keep up these business practices. I along with all of you have been getting the texts about settled class action lawsuits. I honestly think they love to get them. This will MOST DEFINITELY WARRANT a lawsuit. They are completely lying and false advertising the promised speeds. I was all excited because the upgrade path makes sense, but after this nonsense they don't deserve business from anyone period. I have an iPhone4 right now and I wanted to jump ship to Android and 4G HSPA+ but now I have to reconsider my plans. AT&T should be smart and read these forums and take this very seriously. To limit a phone's bandwidth just for me and the other iPhone users is senseless. The reality is the srevers are not upgraded correctly and that's why these bandwidth caps are being imposed. Way to go capping your big push to get people on AT&T phones that like Android. EPIC FAIL!

Message 35 of 182 (1,758 Views)
Scholar

I also get about 2 - 2.4 MB download and 300 k upload. Is definitely throttled.
Message 36 of 182 (1,739 Views)
Tutor

If you take a chance and root it will fix the cap placed on the inspire 4g. I am getting 3500 down and 1200 up. This phone can even run the CM7 gingerbread rom too. I am running a custom firm called core droid and getting 2300 - 2400 quadrand scores. I have not found a fix for my Atrix yet, I am using my Inspire just becasue of the better speeds.

Message 37 of 182 (1,667 Views)
Contributor

Just got the Atrix 4G love the phone but internet is so slow. I'm in LA area. Thinking of canceling it. I was a Tmobile user on Nexus One was getting phenomenal speeds wish this phone was on Tmobile. AT&T please fix this.

Message 38 of 182 (1,575 Views)
Scholar

Get an Atrix=You're screwed! Don't do it! This is wrong.....
Message 39 of 182 (1,540 Views)
Scholar

Honestly I enjoy the phone, ATT is to blame for the service. It's pretty much the only choice besides Inspire. I get 2474 in Quadrant, the multitasking is also a pleasure Smiley Happy The phone is blazing fast in loading and runing games, and did not freeze once.
Message 40 of 182 (1,510 Views)

[ Edited ]

slimslim wrote:
Honestly I enjoy the phone, ATT is to blame for the service. It's pretty much the only choice besides Inspire. I get 2474 in Quadrant, the multitasking is also a pleasure Smiley Happy The phone is blazing fast in loading and runing games, and did not freeze once.

This has been my experience so far as well. I'm coming over from an iPhone 3Gs, when I picked this phone up on launch day I had my data plan changed to the 4GB + tethering to take advantage of the $100.00 rebate and picked up the laptop dock as well. I've checked my data speed through Speakeasy.com and honestly my data rate up and down is the same as with the iPhone 3Gs with the same test (usually around 2500 down and 300 up). I expected nothing more as I know their is no 4G deployed in my area (Salem, Or.). The only thing I can't explain is when I do these test with the phone connected to the laptop dock (tethered) my download rate is twice as fast and the upload is the same (around 5000 down and 300 up). The sales rep that handled my upgrade at the store on launch day took very good care of me. He made sure my account was provisioned for the new data plan (he said there was definitely a new data code that went with the data plan, also he made sure to use the newest 4G branded SIM card as well. I have no idea why other users would be getting any other data speeds other than what they were getting before with what ever phone they had previously. That is what I expected to see when I up graded and until 4G/enhanced back hull is rolled out in my area and that is exactly what I got. At least that's how it went for me.....Smiley Very Happy

Message 41 of 182 (1,723 Views)
Mentor

5 pages and no response from ANYONE at ATT

This is a joke right?

Message 42 of 182 (1,717 Views)
Mentor

To make apparent HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS.

I just benchmarked the speeds here at home over 3g... got 2500 down and 300  up.

Went to send a email with a photo in it via gmail.... it has now been 20 minutes and no sign of it sending yet.

Message 43 of 182 (1,708 Views)

[ Edited ]

5speedSER wrote:

I just benchmarked the speeds here at home over 3g... got 2500 down and 300  up.

Went to send a email with a photo in it via gmail.... it has now been 20 minutes and no sign of it sending yet.

I'm getting the same up and down speed as you, I just snapped off a picture with my Atrix and emailed it off my phone via my Exchange email to one of my other email accounts and got it in less then 30 seconds. Maybe Gmail's servers are having a problem right now. Just a guess.

Message 44 of 182 (1,700 Views)
Mentor

SheldonsMobile wrote:

5speedSER wrote:

I'm getting the same up and down speed as you, I just snapped off a picture with my Atrix and emailed it off my phone via my Exchange email to one of my other email accounts and got it in less then 30 seconds. Maybe Gmail's servers are having a problem right now. Just a guess.

That was my initial thought too... so i tried my exchange server at work and it took a good 3-5 minutes to show up.   Still way too slow for a 800kb file to be sent.

Message 45 of 182 (1,695 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.