Data Speeds: Crippled to 300k/s UPLOAD MAX. HSUPA Disabled.

Mentor

Data Speeds: Crippled to 300k/s UPLOAD MAX. HSUPA Disabled.

This seems to be an ongoing problem for all of AT&Ts new android devices, but most prevelant is the new Inspire 4g and Atrix 4g in which for some ungodly reason HSUPA is disabled in the modem firmware.  What this means to us customers is we are able to still get great download speeds, but our upload speeds are CAPPED to a max of 300k/s.  This results in poorer performance then expected, increased latency, and in all a less capable device.

To make an example, I am an early adopter of the Motorola Atrix... coming from both a Dell streak and HTC Nexus One on ATT I am well aware of the performance of the network in my area.  Using the android application speed test.net, I am regularly and consistantly able to obtain results of speeds showing 2500k/s download speeds and 2500k/s UPLOAD speeds using the Dell streak OR nexus one on the EXACT SAME sim card, APN settings, and location as I use my ATRIX in.  However when using the atrix for the last day, with over 25 simultanious tests... I was only able to obtain results of at best 2000k/s download speeds.... and the shocker A BEST OF 107k/s UPLOAD SPEEDS.  Keep in mind this was with full signal in the same exact location back to back as the dell streak using the same sim card.

These results are abismal.  They point to a flaw, likely encouraged by AT&T.  For what ever reason it was decided to cripple the upload speeds, it is a poor reason.  THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED.  THIS NEEDS TO BE CHANGED.  IT NEEDS TO BE DONE IMMEDIATELY.

Please post if you have had similar issues if you have an Atrix or Inspire.  Install speedtest.net app from the android market and test your self! 

This is a call to action for AT&T.  Please do not disappoint your loyal customers, all we ask is for a properly functioning data connection to be fixed!

Message 1 of 182 (7,681 Views)

Re: Data Speeds: Crippled to 300k/s UPLOAD MAX. HSUPA Disabled.

I don't know if this has been brought up here.  But according to the Premiere site the Atrix 4G includes HSUPA 5.76.  Huh.  iPhone still 4 times faster sending pics than my Atrix 4G.

-James

Message 16 of 182 (2,518 Views)
Employee

to be honest you probably won't be able to talk to anyone about this, it is in the firmware of the phone and no settings that I'm aware of fix the issue other than flashing a custom rom on the device, which for sure works. so 2 things will happen

1. an updated firmware will be released to fix the issue

2. nothing will happen and the device will be crippled unless a custom is placed on there. 

think real hard about how you want to handle this. if you don't feel comfortable flashing a rom and don't want the crippling speeds return the phone within 30 days and wait to see if things are fixed because I would hate to see you trapped in a situation where it's outside the 30 days and you're stuck with the phone and unable to return it for something that performs faster. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 17 of 182 (2,504 Views)
Mentor

jmacdonald801 wrote:

I don't know if this has been brought up here.  But according to the Premiere site the Atrix 4G includes HSUPA 5.76.  Huh.  iPhone still 4 times faster sending pics than my Atrix 4G.

-James

Very interesting.

Message 18 of 182 (2,495 Views)
Tutor

I just had enough with AT&T.

We have a business account for more than 6 years paying over $700/mo to the monster and i just can't figure out why a company would go so far to be hated and try so hard to end up as the WORST carrier in the US year over year.

It’s like AT&T is thinking "OK let's take the most powerful smartphone in the world and see how we can cripple it. Let's disable side loading. Let’s not allow downloading from the browser, let's disable HSUPA and make the upload slow so you can't really do video chats and create an overall bad user experience, Let's block apps from the Android Market, Let's sell a 4G phone and force our customers into 4G data plans while providing them with a CRIPPLED 3G phone, let’s have the worse data plan options and charge a fortune for them, let's see how we can make ourselves even more hated".

Seriously, AT&T, if this is not resolved by the end of the 30 days i am returning all our phones and taking our business somewhere else. Enough is enough.

Your latest HSUPA trick is actually considered FRAUD. I can’t wait for someone to pick this up on court.

Message 19 of 182 (2,465 Views)

If my interpretation is correct, you actually only have 14 days to return your Atrix. Sneaky.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/return-policy.jsp

Unfortunately that leaves a small window for AT&T to even do anything about this. I like this phone and I've never had a problem with AT&T up to now, but this is ridiculous enough that I'll be sending it back if they don't promise a solution by Friday.

You've been warned AT&T, you're about to lose a ton of customers if you just ignore this.

Message 20 of 182 (2,448 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

[ Edited ]

In case anyone else hasnt noticed... this was picked up by engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/23/atandts-brewing-hsupa-gate-the-inside-story/

Engadget wrote:

Message 21 of 182 (2,516 Views)
Mentor

speedrasr3 wrote:

If my interpretation is correct, you actually only have 14 days to return your Atrix. Sneaky.

Unfortunately that leaves a small window for AT&T to even do anything about this. I like this phone and I've never had a problem with AT&T up to now, but this is ridiculous enough that I'll be sending it back if they don't promise a solution by Friday.

You've been warned AT&T, you're about to lose a ton of customers if you just ignore this.

Thats REDICULOUS.   I was told 30 days by reps in store and via customer service.

Message 22 of 182 (2,516 Views)
Mentor

speedrasr3 wrote:

I believe you're misinterpreting it. The Atrix itself is neither a tablet nor the "MOTOROLA LAPDOCK". Now, if you did get the lapdock, you'll only have 14 days to return that, but the phone itself should have 30 days.

Message 23 of 182 (2,515 Views)
Mentor

30 days bro
Message 24 of 182 (2,499 Views)

Well I think if it says on their Premier site that it's HSUPA 5.76 and they sold me a phone that's not, I'll be out of my contract, dispute the charge, what have you after 14 days no problem.  Go visa.

-James

Message 25 of 182 (2,460 Views)
gbh
Mentor

I am coming from the Sprint Samsung Epic 4G, a Galaxy S phone. Very disappointed thus far.   Data download and upload speeds very unimpressive- I am in Charlotte, NC with (supposedly) HSPA+ already live here (one of 10 or so cities) and the best (very best) I have gotten in multiple locations is 3 down, but usually a lot less. This compares with my Sprint Wimax of 4 to 8 down. Plus on our family iphone 4 with AT&T we get better data speeds than with the atrix, hands down. As to uploads, the Atrix gets 250 up, maybe, whereas the 4G on Sprint gets me 1250.
What really ticks me off is that if you go to the new AT&T coverage maps it now shows Charlotte, NC as one of the few cities as having HSPA+ coverage.  What a fraud.

Message 26 of 182 (2,423 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

i'd say it's software related as well, phone is certainly capable of fast upload speeds .... a couple of samples from my Inspire4G are below.

single test with inspire4G with a Euro DesireHD ROM...

another test with a stock, rooted at&t Inspire ROM. that's pretty fast.

Message 27 of 182 (2,388 Views)
Mentor

cortez wrote:

i'd say it's software related as well ....  internet speed of my inspire4G with a stock, rooted at&t Inspire ROM. that's pretty fast.

Wait, so all you did was root? You haven't installed a new ROM at all?

Message 28 of 182 (2,384 Views)
Scholar

Scotchester wrote:

cortez wrote:

i'd say it's software related as well ....  internet speed of my inspire4G with a stock, rooted at&t Inspire ROM. that's pretty fast.

Wait, so all you did was root? You haven't installed a new ROM at all?

no... i installed a Euro Desire HD ROM & Telus kernel on the Inspire4G, tested internet speeds, then i  installed a rooted stock, Insire4G ROM with a stock kernel and tested the speeds again.

Message 29 of 182 (2,358 Views)
Mentor

cortez wrote:
no... i installed a Euro Desire HD ROM & Telus kernel on the Inspire4G, tested internet speeds, then i  installed a rooted stock, Insire4G ROM with a stock kernel and tested the speeds again.

Interesting... from that it sounds like the radio was updgraded when you did the first part, and left unchanged when you did the second part.

Message 30 of 182 (2,346 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.