Data Sent while on Wifi?

Contributor

Data Sent while on Wifi?

Right now I'm listening to Pandora on my iPhone 4 connected to a wifi network. At 1:03pm, my sent cellular data was 441KB and my received was 1.1MB. At 1:41, sent was 481KB and received still 1.1MB. Why has my phone sent 40KB of data over the past 40 or so minutes when I'm connected to a wifi network? I know I am connected to wifi correctly because I can turn off 3G on the phone and the music keeps on playing, emails keep on coming, etc. Plus, no additional data is being received through all this. Any ideas what is going on that cellular data is being used while I'm connected to wifi?

Message 1 of 8 (2,756 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Data Sent while on Wifi?

It didn't. As has been covered many MANY times before, and as it says on the mywireless site, the reporting of data used may lag minutes, hours, or even DAYS behind. You used that data at some point. It finally managed to get accounted for.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8 (2,729 Views)
ACE - Master

I believe the OP is talking about the sent/received data under Settings/General/Usage on the iphone. To answer the question, I believe there are apps and functions that only work over the cellular data network, not over wifi. For example, visual voice mail only works over the cellular data network. What you may be seeing is the result of the phone checking for visual voice mail periodically.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 8 (2,695 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]
  1. Phantom Data Usage? Riddle me this, AT&T.... - ( 06-30-2010 01:45:44 PM )
  2. There are several tasks that only use cellular data - Visual Voicemail, MMS, A-GPS (Not a TomTom GPS, a cellular GPS), and a few others
  3. WiFi sometimes can cut out and your iPhone will begin to rely on 3G
  4. If you do not enable "Cellular Data OFF" under settings/general/network, you will incur charges from the few tasks non-WiFi related as mentioned above. If you want to skip Cellular Data OFF, you can also use "Airplane Mode ON"
  5. Also if you don't close all your Apps in the background that are "Cellular Data Only", your data will roll in the background
Message 4 of 8 (2,688 Views)
ACE - Master

josephz2va wrote:
  1. There are several tasks that only use cellular data - Visual Voicemail, MMS, A-GPS (Not a TomTom GPS, a cellular GPS), and a few others

Question for you. Though MMS only works over cellular data, it does not count against your data plan so my question, are MMS messages counted in the sent/received usage statistics kept on the phone?

Message 5 of 8 (2,673 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/treo-650/72787-do-mms-pics-count-towards-data-usage.html

It's an old posting from 2006 but near explanation:

"I can tell you from first hand experience that MMS/Pics will cost $.25 + Kb usage. I sent one picture just for fun and it cost me $1.25. Verizon gives the lame excuse that PDA phones are charged for data. In my mind, this issue represents both double billing (.25 + Kb), and misleading advertising (they advertise MMS/Pics on their network at $.25 each, and make no mention of phone type). I plan to contact my state Attorney General! Class action, anyone?"

-----------------------------

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Messaging/iPhone-E-mail-MMS-and-billing/m-p/1867511

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/MEdia-Net/Question-about-MMS-Data-Overage-Charge/m-p/1769018

Another similarity posts on AT&T Forums with a mixture of features

"While looking at my online usage I see a data charge for 150KB the same minute where I knew I sent an MMS message. My Blackjack 2 shows the message was 501KB."

Message 6 of 8 (2,575 Views)
Contributor

I downloaded couple audio sessions from home using wifi on my iphone last night.  It showed up as 280M of 3G data usage.  There are numerous other smaller transfers during times that I'm sure was using wifi at home.  I'm very careful about data overusage and never had a problem for two years.  Since last month, I hit nearly 800M.  Last night's download pinpointed that I was billed even for wifi usage.

I called ATT customer care.  Their explanation was if a transfer initiated on 3G or had a wifi drop out in the middle, the 3G network picks up the rest of the download.  To be sure, you should turn off the 3G and Celluar data settings on your phone.  This is not pratical. 

I think it is a new problem that resurfaced.  I had similar issue over 2 years ago with my Blackberry.  The explaination there was whether I used the ATT browser vs. a generic one on the phone.  It went away when I switched to iphone, but now it's back.  Keep this up and I may have to go with Verison.

Message 7 of 8 (1,214 Views)
Highlighted
Former Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 8 of 8 (1,199 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.