Helpful Links

Data Plans

Contributor

Data Plans

I just want to voice my opinion.  I'm sick of paying these ridiculous data plan prices.  I currently have three lines and I'm paying $65 just to be able to access the internet on these phones.  My cable internet at home is half that price and I'm not cap on the amount of data I use.  If I go over my data plan, instead of rolling me up to the next plan for the rest of the month, they double or triple bill me for the same plan, I'm sick of it.  That doesn't seem fair.  If it wasn't for this contract, I'd be an Verizon customer right now. If I go over my 200 meg limit, why not just charge the the $30 and bump me up to 3 gigs for the remander of the month.  Instead I get billed another $15, to have a limit of 400 megs.  Clearly this is just a trap by AT&T, they know you want to save money and just try to make the most out of it.  Even the data plans that offer, don't make sense, 300 meg for $20 or 3 gigs for $30.  Come on, that's not even the same price for megabyte... not even close.  I want to know where is data roll over  at?  Where is family data plans?  It's not that they can't do it.  I'm getting where I can't stand AT&T.  They try to aquire other companys to be the number one wireless company, instead of doing it with great products and service.

Message 1 of 9
Master

Re: Data Plans

I'm not singling you out, but it's up to you whether you choose to use a smartphone or not. Smartphones on every major post paid carrier is tied with a data plan. The only way to avoid paying for a data plan is to switch to a feature phone or use your smartphone(s) on a GoPhone prepaid plan. That's about all there is to it.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 9
Professor

Archer1971 wrote:

I just want to voice my opinion.  I'm sick of paying these ridiculous data plan prices.

So which carrier are you switching to?

Message 3 of 9
Professor

Wild Banchi wrote:
I'm not singling you out, but it's up to you whether you choose to use a smartphone or not. Smartphones on every major post paid carrier is tied with a data plan. The only way to avoid paying for a data plan is to switch to a feature phone or use your smartphone(s) on a GoPhone prepaid plan. That's about all there is to it.

I consider T-Mobile to be a major postpaid carrier.  If you bring your own phone or pay full price for your smartphone with T-Mobile, no data plan is required.

Message 4 of 9
Master

21stNow wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

I consider T-Mobile to be a major postpaid carrier.  If you bring your own phone or pay full price for your smartphone with T-Mobile, no data plan is required.

And no 3G with an iPhone either since the frequencies used by t-Mobile are not on the iPHone.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 5 of 9
Contributor

Listen, I'm an IT professional.  I know about phones, service and data plans.  I'm just saying these prices and plans are ridiculous.  As a consumer, I'm getting fed up with it.  I realize it's my choice to pay it or not to pay it, but since I have three iPhone's under contract it's not something I can just drop and say I don't want the data plan any more.  That's all I'm saying.  If AT&T wants to be a wireless leader, then they need to start addressing people frustration with these plans.

Message 6 of 9
Teacher

Awesome response dude!!! Do we have any community leaders that can propose a solution to AT&T other than the cynisism that the constantly offer; The bulk of users on this forum, I dare say are technical enough to know their options and I put it to all that tying us up in contracts and changing the rules mid-stream is unfair and bad business practice.
Message 7 of 9
Professor

youngjm wrote:

21stNow wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

And no 3G with an iPhone either since the frequencies used by t-Mobile are not on the iPHone.

I was only addressing the smartphone comment in WB's post.  His comment wasn't particular to iPhones.

Message 8 of 9
Mentor

Listen, I'm an IT professional.  I know about phones, service and data plans.  I'm just saying these prices and plans are ridiculous.  As a consumer, I'm getting fed up with it.  I realize it's my choice to pay it or not to pay it, but since I have three iPhone's under contract it's not something I can just drop and say I don't want the data plan any more.  That's all I'm saying.  If AT&T wants to be a wireless leader, then they need to start addressing people frustration with these plans.

=============================================================================================

You do have a choice with ATT (not really with TM you only get 2G) I have 2 IPhone 4S and niether is on contract. All you do is go to Apple.com, buy a fully priced IPhone (64GB costs $908 incl AppleCare+ and taxes). Then buy limited phone and text. Look on the internet for adding Data Plan at $25 for 500mb (you're in IT, should be very easy as it was for me). And then YOU decide what you pay for the service voice+text+data in any country. If you add up everything you're (realistically) going to be paying out over a 2 year contract you're going to save a ton.

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support