Data Plans

Voyager

Data Plans

Hi, so basically I am buying a new unlocked smartphone that is NOT from the AT&T store, Nokia C6. My question is for the data plan, will I be able to use the "Data Unlimited: Quick Messaging/Basic Phones" or will I have to use smartphone dataplans? Once again, this smartphone is not bought from the AT&T store.

My other question is will I be able to use wifi on the Nokia C6 for free without a purchased dataplan from AT&T?

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5 (912 Views)
Expert

Re: Data Plans

nubiosity wrote:

Hi, so basically I am buying a new unlocked smartphone that is NOT from the AT&T store, Nokia C6. My question is for the data plan, will I be able to use the "Data Unlimited: Quick Messaging/Basic Phones" or will I have to use smartphone dataplans? Once again, this smartphone is not bought from the AT&T store.

My other question is will I be able to use wifi on the Nokia C6 for free without a purchased dataplan from AT&T?

Thanks Smiley Happy

smartphone data plans are required, the QMD data plan will not work. Even if a sale person is able to add it, if the system detects it as a smartphone the correct plan will be swapped in

Message 2 of 5 (800 Views)
Voyager

So basically that means I MUST get a smartphone data plan for this phone? Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 5 (798 Views)
Expert

technically yes, you might get away with a non-smartphone plan for awhile but when and if they do figure out it is a smartphone they will automaticly switch it to the correct plan per the terms of service, nothing you can do about it since you agreed to it when you signed the tos.

Message 4 of 5 (748 Views)
Professor

Yup, there are reports that ATT recognizes the Nexus 1 as a smartphone, and they dont sell it.

Message 5 of 5 (738 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.