Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 22, 2011
11:46:27 AM
View profile
Data Plans

I just moved my wifes blackberry to my plan so that we have a family plan together.  She did not carry a data plan before we switched because she does not use it.  When we switched, ATT automatically added a data plan to her phone.  Shouldn't her plan be grandfathered in, and secondly, is it considered an upgrade to switch to this plan.  If it's not an upgrade, how does ATT justify this charge?

I just moved my wifes blackberry to my plan so that we have a family plan together.  She did not carry a data plan before we switched because she does not use it.  When we switched, ATT automatically added a data plan to her phone.  Shouldn't her plan be grandfathered in, and secondly, is it considered an upgrade to switch to this plan.  If it's not an upgrade, how does ATT justify this charge?

Data Plans

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2011 12:31:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

namregork wrote:

If your wife is going to continue using her BlackBerry, she MUST have a data plan in order to do so. I don't see how she wasn't assigned one when she was on her individual line. And no, her joining your plan to make a family plan would not be considered an upgrade. I would call it a "merge" together.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

namregork wrote:

If your wife is going to continue using her BlackBerry, she MUST have a data plan in order to do so. I don't see how she wasn't assigned one when she was on her individual line. And no, her joining your plan to make a family plan would not be considered an upgrade. I would call it a "merge" together.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Data Plans

2 of 3 (473 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2011 6:55:53 PM
(0)
Master

When did she get and started using that Blackberry on her account?  Did she have it on the account without a data plan BEFORE 1 Nov 2009?  If it was registered on the account with the IMEI number of the device before then, she should be allowed to keep it without having to have a data plan.

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&loca...

Customers who activate, upgrade, or switch their device to a smartphone will automatically have the appropriate data plan added to their account if one is not already present. Smartphone customers who activate prior to November 1, 2009, will not have a data plan added to their account unless they decide to upgrade to a new smartphone, in which case the data plan requirement will apply and the customer cannot revert back. 

When did she get and started using that Blackberry on her account?  Did she have it on the account without a data plan BEFORE 1 Nov 2009?  If it was registered on the account with the IMEI number of the device before then, she should be allowed to keep it without having to have a data plan.

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=53463&isSrch=Yes

Customers who activate, upgrade, or switch their device to a smartphone will automatically have the appropriate data plan added to their account if one is not already present. Smartphone customers who activate prior to November 1, 2009, will not have a data plan added to their account unless they decide to upgrade to a new smartphone, in which case the data plan requirement will apply and the customer cannot revert back. 

Re: Data Plans

3 of 3 (446 Views)