Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 12, 2012
9:05:08 AM
View profile
Data Plan rollercoaster

I had used from approximately Oct. of 2008 to Sept of 2010 a Samsung BlackJack II with no data plan.  In Sept of 2010 my family all upgraded to new phones, on our family plan.  About 5 months ago, my daughter broke her phone, and she started to re-use the Blackjack.  Again no data plan on any of our lines.  My latest bill came in and ATT added a data plan to her line retro to March of 2012.  I immediately called ATT, and was told that all smartphones had to have data plans.  I informed them that this particular phone has never had a data plan billed to it.  CSR said that smartphones could not operate without the data plan.  Without calling the CSR a liar, I know that this phone operated perfectly fine for me for 2 years and my daughter for the last several months without a data plan.  CSR said they would have a supervisor call me back within 24 to 48 hours.  This was on Tues. 4/3.  On Mon. 4/9, without having heard back, I again called CS.  This CSR granted me a credit of $18 this month and the additional $30 I had been billed next month.  On Wed. 4/11, ATT sent me an e-mail saying they were adding the data plan back on.  I again called the CSR, who said they could do nothing.  Waited on hold for 45 minutes and then spoke with a supervisor, who repeated the mantra that the phone could not operate without a data plan.  Don't know why they won't hear that the phone operates very well, and less expensively, without a data plan.  I am now waiting for a manager to call back (one was not available yesterday).  Anyone know if there is anything I can do, or just go through the hassle of switching providers.  Been with ATT since 2005.

I had used from approximately Oct. of 2008 to Sept of 2010 a Samsung BlackJack II with no data plan.  In Sept of 2010 my family all upgraded to new phones, on our family plan.  About 5 months ago, my daughter broke her phone, and she started to re-use the Blackjack.  Again no data plan on any of our lines.  My latest bill came in and ATT added a data plan to her line retro to March of 2012.  I immediately called ATT, and was told that all smartphones had to have data plans.  I informed them that this particular phone has never had a data plan billed to it.  CSR said that smartphones could not operate without the data plan.  Without calling the CSR a liar, I know that this phone operated perfectly fine for me for 2 years and my daughter for the last several months without a data plan.  CSR said they would have a supervisor call me back within 24 to 48 hours.  This was on Tues. 4/3.  On Mon. 4/9, without having heard back, I again called CS.  This CSR granted me a credit of $18 this month and the additional $30 I had been billed next month.  On Wed. 4/11, ATT sent me an e-mail saying they were adding the data plan back on.  I again called the CSR, who said they could do nothing.  Waited on hold for 45 minutes and then spoke with a supervisor, who repeated the mantra that the phone could not operate without a data plan.  Don't know why they won't hear that the phone operates very well, and less expensively, without a data plan.  I am now waiting for a manager to call back (one was not available yesterday).  Anyone know if there is anything I can do, or just go through the hassle of switching providers.  Been with ATT since 2005.

Data Plan rollercoaster

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2012 9:12:56 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

AT&T began requiring data plans on all smartphones in September of 2009. Since you had already been using this phone without a data plan prior to that, you were grandfathered into the old policy. 

By re-enabling service on that phone, it is now held to the current policy. 

I apologize that the representative you spoke with did not properly explain why this occured. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

AT&T began requiring data plans on all smartphones in September of 2009. Since you had already been using this phone without a data plan prior to that, you were grandfathered into the old policy. 

By re-enabling service on that phone, it is now held to the current policy. 

I apologize that the representative you spoke with did not properly explain why this occured. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Data Plan rollercoaster

2 of 4 (333 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2012 10:22:23 AM
(0)
Contributor

Doesn't it seem unethical that they can bill for a service, I don't want, haven't asked for nor do I use?  If the reactiviation triggered the data plan, how come it wasn't billed in Nov., Dec., Jan., or Feb?  I know the phone can be used without a data plan, as the previous 5 months will attest. 

Doesn't it seem unethical that they can bill for a service, I don't want, haven't asked for nor do I use?  If the reactiviation triggered the data plan, how come it wasn't billed in Nov., Dec., Jan., or Feb?  I know the phone can be used without a data plan, as the previous 5 months will attest. 

3 of 4 (324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2012 10:29:56 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I'm not sure why you were not billed for the data plan during those months. It's possible the smartphone wasn't picked up until recently. 

If you'd like to speak with a member of my team about this, I'd be happy to set that up for you. If you'll please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you; I'll have them give you a call. 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

I'm not sure why you were not billed for the data plan during those months. It's possible the smartphone wasn't picked up until recently. 

If you'd like to speak with a member of my team about this, I'd be happy to set that up for you. If you'll please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you; I'll have them give you a call. 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

4 of 4 (321 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments