Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 6, 2009
7:26:36 PM
View profile
Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

I just discovered that ATT is now going to require all PDA phones to have a data plan after Sept. 6th.  I have seen all the reasoning behind this, and frankly, I am upset.  I am perfectly happy with my ATT Tilt using WiFi access only.  I have never desired to have a data plan and like to use the features of my phone without the bloated cost of a data plan,

ATT has stated that they feel this is necessary to help prevent customers from excessive data charges for people who do not get a data plan.  I say it is just to force people to pay for data plans even if they they are perfectly content without one.  I have never had excessive data usage charges because I am intelligent enough to understand that I only access data when I am on a WiFi network.  This ridiculous requirement is now going to force me to reconsider staying with ATT as my wireless carrier.  I was also considering upgrading from my Tilt to a Fuze, but now I am not so sure.

I would hope that ATT would reconsider this requirement and allow their customers to continue to have the choice on whether they feel they need a data plan or not.  In my case, I do not and would like to keep it that way.

I just discovered that ATT is now going to require all PDA phones to have a data plan after Sept. 6th.  I have seen all the reasoning behind this, and frankly, I am upset.  I am perfectly happy with my ATT Tilt using WiFi access only.  I have never desired to have a data plan and like to use the features of my phone without the bloated cost of a data plan,

ATT has stated that they feel this is necessary to help prevent customers from excessive data charges for people who do not get a data plan.  I say it is just to force people to pay for data plans even if they they are perfectly content without one.  I have never had excessive data usage charges because I am intelligent enough to understand that I only access data when I am on a WiFi network.  This ridiculous requirement is now going to force me to reconsider staying with ATT as my wireless carrier.  I was also considering upgrading from my Tilt to a Fuze, but now I am not so sure.

I would hope that ATT would reconsider this requirement and allow their customers to continue to have the choice on whether they feel they need a data plan or not.  In my case, I do not and would like to keep it that way.

Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

279 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(279)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2010 5:49:59 AM
(0)
Mentor

VydorScope wrote:

Correct, and people HAVE posted they have gotten the automatic plan even with out a contract. Read the complaints, they are posted here, other forums, and on the AT&T customer service Facebook page.If you dont want to that is fine, but its wrong to tell people to not worry about it becuase it is happening. AT&T posted on their Facebook that any smart phone turned on their network now gets the data plan, contract or not. They claim they are doing it to serve us better. Go post over their where AT&T actaully replies and ask for yourself.

To be clear my wife has a blackberry without data plan. If she should now go out and buy a Nexus One, they would automatically add the data plan. Some people have gotten them to drop it, but it has been added for others.

I have seen this "serving you better" claim by AT&T as well.  It just makes me laugh at how ridiculous a statement it is for them to make.  Judging by the number of people complaining about this policy, they must think that serving people better means ticking off your customers and forcing them to pay for a service that they don't want.

It is so ironic that the advancement of portable devices has progressed so far only to be hinderred by the politics of business.  There was a time when people who used PDA's and cell phones had to carry two devices.  When the smartphones came out it was the dawn of a new era in technology where people could use one device as both a phone and a PDA.  Now, thanks to forced dataplans, we are heading back to the era where people will have to go back to carrying a PDA and a dumphone to avoid getting charged for services that they don't want.  When the time comes where my Tilt dies, I will probably purchase an iPod Touch and a dumbphone just so I can avoid the data plan charge. 

Thanks for "serving me better" AT&T!

VydorScope wrote:

Correct, and people HAVE posted they have gotten the automatic plan even with out a contract. Read the complaints, they are posted here, other forums, and on the AT&T customer service Facebook page.If you dont want to that is fine, but its wrong to tell people to not worry about it becuase it is happening. AT&T posted on their Facebook that any smart phone turned on their network now gets the data plan, contract or not. They claim they are doing it to serve us better. Go post over their where AT&T actaully replies and ask for yourself.

To be clear my wife has a blackberry without data plan. If she should now go out and buy a Nexus One, they would automatically add the data plan. Some people have gotten them to drop it, but it has been added for others.

I have seen this "serving you better" claim by AT&T as well.  It just makes me laugh at how ridiculous a statement it is for them to make.  Judging by the number of people complaining about this policy, they must think that serving people better means ticking off your customers and forcing them to pay for a service that they don't want.

It is so ironic that the advancement of portable devices has progressed so far only to be hinderred by the politics of business.  There was a time when people who used PDA's and cell phones had to carry two devices.  When the smartphones came out it was the dawn of a new era in technology where people could use one device as both a phone and a PDA.  Now, thanks to forced dataplans, we are heading back to the era where people will have to go back to carrying a PDA and a dumphone to avoid getting charged for services that they don't want.  When the time comes where my Tilt dies, I will probably purchase an iPod Touch and a dumbphone just so I can avoid the data plan charge. 

Thanks for "serving me better" AT&T!

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

241 of 280 (1,445 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2010 6:35:52 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Apr 19, 2010 at 6:36:22 AM

When 1st gen iPhone was first released, it was widely reported that so many uninformed iPhone users out there racked up thousands of dollars of data bills in a month (I don't even know how they get the iPhone without a data plan). By 'serves us better', AT&T must mean serves those guys better so they don't have to listen to their crying for forgiveness. It's always a few bad Apples (Smiley Happy) ruin it for everyone.

When 1st gen iPhone was first released, it was widely reported that so many uninformed iPhone users out there racked up thousands of dollars of data bills in a month (I don't even know how they get the iPhone without a data plan). By 'serves us better', AT&T must mean serves those guys better so they don't have to listen to their crying for forgiveness. It's always a few bad Apples (Smiley Happy) ruin it for everyone.

[ Edited ]
242 of 280 (1,435 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2010 6:48:58 AM
(0)
Mentor

foxbat121 wrote:

The mistake that AT&T made in the past was to offer a pay-per-use dataplan in the fist place.  What they should have done was institute a policy that whenever anyone uses any data that they would be charged the full $30 for that month rather than charge per KB used.  When people racked up those thousands of dollars a month for data usage, it would have been just $30 anyhow if they would have been on the unlimited data plan.

I am sure that AT&T had a lot of abuse with data, but they could have handled it much better rather than force those who did play nicely to now have to get a data plan whenever a new PDA phone is purchased.

foxbat121 wrote:

The mistake that AT&T made in the past was to offer a pay-per-use dataplan in the fist place.  What they should have done was institute a policy that whenever anyone uses any data that they would be charged the full $30 for that month rather than charge per KB used.  When people racked up those thousands of dollars a month for data usage, it would have been just $30 anyhow if they would have been on the unlimited data plan.

I am sure that AT&T had a lot of abuse with data, but they could have handled it much better rather than force those who did play nicely to now have to get a data plan whenever a new PDA phone is purchased.

243 of 280 (1,431 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2010 7:19:26 AM
(0)
Master

That will make too much sense, isn't it?

I agree that you should have the option to opt out of data plans. But that probably mean adding a data block on your account which in turn will make your phone impossible to send or receive MMS. MMS, alone with SMS, is a major cash cow for carriers right now.

That will make too much sense, isn't it?

I agree that you should have the option to opt out of data plans. But that probably mean adding a data block on your account which in turn will make your phone impossible to send or receive MMS. MMS, alone with SMS, is a major cash cow for carriers right now.

244 of 280 (1,423 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2010 2:33:31 PM
(0)
Teacher

varnk wrote:

I really do agree with most of these ideas.  However, there will be subscribers who "accidentally" access the internet on their phone, and just download 2KB of data . . . then be charged the $30 for accessing data. 

To tweak this, I would suggest the pay-per-use data, but when it reaches $30 that is the cap for it for that month.  This way, the subscriber can't use the "wrong button route" to get out of paying the $30 for that month, as 3000 KB downloaded is truly no accident!  For a while Sprint wireless did this automatically for their minute packages, if memory serves, where extreme overages would be sent into the next minutes tier.

varnk wrote:

I really do agree with most of these ideas.  However, there will be subscribers who "accidentally" access the internet on their phone, and just download 2KB of data . . . then be charged the $30 for accessing data. 

To tweak this, I would suggest the pay-per-use data, but when it reaches $30 that is the cap for it for that month.  This way, the subscriber can't use the "wrong button route" to get out of paying the $30 for that month, as 3000 KB downloaded is truly no accident!  For a while Sprint wireless did this automatically for their minute packages, if memory serves, where extreme overages would be sent into the next minutes tier.

245 of 280 (1,383 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2010 3:01:04 PM
(0)
Master

It is very difficult to satisfy everyone. Take your proposal of automatically roll up to $30/mo plan for example. If I'm a occasional data user that happen to use quite some data one day because I stuck in somewhere and need to access data. That doesn't mean I want to pay for $30 every month until I remember to take it off my account.

Besides, IIRC, AT&T now charge data in per MB blocks instead of per KB (it is slightly cheaper than per KB when you add all the KBs together).

It is very difficult to satisfy everyone. Take your proposal of automatically roll up to $30/mo plan for example. If I'm a occasional data user that happen to use quite some data one day because I stuck in somewhere and need to access data. That doesn't mean I want to pay for $30 every month until I remember to take it off my account.

Besides, IIRC, AT&T now charge data in per MB blocks instead of per KB (it is slightly cheaper than per KB when you add all the KBs together).

246 of 280 (1,380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2010 7:55:29 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just inherited my friend's extra line and blackberry curve last month. Woke up this morning to a txt from AT&T saying $200+ had been charged in data fees. Called 611, and apparently, even though my butt and my 2 yr old were the guilty web activating parties, I had indeed incurred data costs under the pay per use data plan. HOWEVER, since this new Data plan requirement took effect, the CS rep said that AT&T's computer system was triggered by my phone's net usage and was "AUTOMATICALLY" adding the $30 data plan. (At least it'll cancel the $300 some odd in data charges) She also said that even if you accidentally access the web for like 10 seconds, it triggers the system to add the data plan. AND the plan can't betaken off unless we switch this phone to a dumbphone. LOLZ...it is what it is, we all just wish they had informed people who were being grandfathered in, too, as this could have saved us a TON of worrying about an accidental $300 phone bill!

It's ok though, AT&T still owes my husband and I some $400 in VISA gift cards or so for all the issues we had establishing our home phone service almost *THREE* years ago. ($200 of that $400 was promised to compensate us for THEIR errors in the process....funny how NONE of it has been seen in all this time, eh?)

I just inherited my friend's extra line and blackberry curve last month. Woke up this morning to a txt from AT&T saying $200+ had been charged in data fees. Called 611, and apparently, even though my butt and my 2 yr old were the guilty web activating parties, I had indeed incurred data costs under the pay per use data plan. HOWEVER, since this new Data plan requirement took effect, the CS rep said that AT&T's computer system was triggered by my phone's net usage and was "AUTOMATICALLY" adding the $30 data plan. (At least it'll cancel the $300 some odd in data charges) She also said that even if you accidentally access the web for like 10 seconds, it triggers the system to add the data plan. AND the plan can't betaken off unless we switch this phone to a dumbphone. LOLZ...it is what it is, we all just wish they had informed people who were being grandfathered in, too, as this could have saved us a TON of worrying about an accidental $300 phone bill!

It's ok though, AT&T still owes my husband and I some $400 in VISA gift cards or so for all the issues we had establishing our home phone service almost *THREE* years ago. ($200 of that $400 was promised to compensate us for THEIR errors in the process....funny how NONE of it has been seen in all this time, eh?)

247 of 280 (1,295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2010 8:31:07 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by varnk on Apr 21, 2010 at 8:32:14 AM

Rogue_Rain wrote:

Well, that is a bit disturbing.  I thought that if you were grandfatherred you could still use the pay-per-use data plan without being put on the unlimited data plan.  I would still like to be able to access data if I wanted to (accepting the ramifications of per-use charges).  I have my Tilt set to no data, but there are some very rare occasions where I may want to access data to get an e-mail or something like that when I am not near a wifi hotspot.

Rogue_Rain wrote:

Well, that is a bit disturbing.  I thought that if you were grandfatherred you could still use the pay-per-use data plan without being put on the unlimited data plan.  I would still like to be able to access data if I wanted to (accepting the ramifications of per-use charges).  I have my Tilt set to no data, but there are some very rare occasions where I may want to access data to get an e-mail or something like that when I am not near a wifi hotspot.

[ Edited ]
248 of 280 (1,284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2010 9:32:54 PM
(0)
Teacher

I visited a different AT&T store yesterday (Saturday, April 24, 2010) in Ohio this time.  To date, the ruling is that any smartphone used (be it activated with a contract or just had a SIM-card inserted) prior to September 6, 2009 would not be charged the $30/month data fee.  However, if the account is upgraded to even a non-smartphone, then the no-data-plan grandfathering isn't valid.  Further, if the active SIM card is removed from the smartphone, inserted and used in any other phone/device, then reinserted into the previously used smartphone, it still loses the grandfathering.    [I didn't ask, but I presume grandfathering allows any data used to be charged per kb, or whichever data plan was used prior to these new rules.]

Sad to say, my current HTC 8525 has recently lost it's ability to hold a charge above 50%.  Before that, I've been told that the phone cuts out or even doesn't answer calls.  Even buying a battery on ebay wouldn't solve the device's quality issues.  I enjoy the free wi-fi inside this device, but even buying the Tilt2 wouldn't help matters, if by doing so I am required to have the $30/month added to my bill.  Hypocritically, so much for having free wi-fi if it costs $30/month just to use the device, eh?

I visited a different AT&T store yesterday (Saturday, April 24, 2010) in Ohio this time.  To date, the ruling is that any smartphone used (be it activated with a contract or just had a SIM-card inserted) prior to September 6, 2009 would not be charged the $30/month data fee.  However, if the account is upgraded to even a non-smartphone, then the no-data-plan grandfathering isn't valid.  Further, if the active SIM card is removed from the smartphone, inserted and used in any other phone/device, then reinserted into the previously used smartphone, it still loses the grandfathering.    [I didn't ask, but I presume grandfathering allows any data used to be charged per kb, or whichever data plan was used prior to these new rules.]

Sad to say, my current HTC 8525 has recently lost it's ability to hold a charge above 50%.  Before that, I've been told that the phone cuts out or even doesn't answer calls.  Even buying a battery on ebay wouldn't solve the device's quality issues.  I enjoy the free wi-fi inside this device, but even buying the Tilt2 wouldn't help matters, if by doing so I am required to have the $30/month added to my bill.  Hypocritically, so much for having free wi-fi if it costs $30/month just to use the device, eh?

249 of 280 (1,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 2:53:11 AM
(0)
Scholar

Some people have had success by calling up the 1-800 number and taking one of 2 paths..

1) Ask for a data block to be put on your account and drop the $30 charge. That would mean the phone could NEVER use data (no MMS even), but you would not have the $30 fee either

2) Threaten to leave AT&T over the $30 fee. The customer retention specialists can wave the fee

Neither is a guarantee, but might be worth a shot for you.

Some people have had success by calling up the 1-800 number and taking one of 2 paths..

1) Ask for a data block to be put on your account and drop the $30 charge. That would mean the phone could NEVER use data (no MMS even), but you would not have the $30 fee either

2) Threaten to leave AT&T over the $30 fee. The customer retention specialists can wave the fee

Neither is a guarantee, but might be worth a shot for you.

250 of 280 (1,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 10:04:20 AM
(0)
Mentor

Will AT&T slap the 30$ onto any phone that has wifi or is there something out there I'm missing?  I bet the only way around any of this is to give those two 'paths' a shot.  This is so frustrating!

Will AT&T slap the 30$ onto any phone that has wifi or is there something out there I'm missing?  I bet the only way around any of this is to give those two 'paths' a shot.  This is so frustrating!

251 of 280 (802 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 11:26:10 AM
(0)
Master

cpk86 wrote:

Only for Smartphones, wifi or not does not matter.

cpk86 wrote:

Only for Smartphones, wifi or not does not matter.

252 of 280 (790 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 12:34:11 PM
(0)
Mentor

Interesting.  Although, I have yet to find a 'dumb' phone that has wifi. haha.

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

253 of 280 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 1:12:52 PM
(0)
Scholar

The term "smart phone" is so broad, that I would say give up hope on not paying it unless you get some REALY dumb phone. Smiley Happy

The term "smart phone" is so broad, that I would say give up hope on not paying it unless you get some REALY dumb phone. Smiley Happy

254 of 280 (776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 3:51:49 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Apr 25, 2010 at 3:52:13 PM

cpk86 wrote:

Any suggestions?

There are plenty of Smartphones that don't have wi-fi but required to pay data plan. Why do you need wi-fi for a dumb phone anyway? Download ringtons faster?

cpk86 wrote:

Any suggestions?

There are plenty of Smartphones that don't have wi-fi but required to pay data plan. Why do you need wi-fi for a dumb phone anyway? Download ringtons faster?

[ Edited ]
255 of 280 (759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 4:27:16 PM
(0)
Teacher

I thought "smartphone" in AT&T-lingo was any device with a wi-fi adapter inside it.  For example, the Samsung Impression has the slider keyboard, touch screen, and 3 megapixel camera, but doesn't have a wi-fi adapter [or Windows Mobile], so AT&T doesn't call it a smartphone.  A bit off topic, but the only "requirement" for the Impression is $10 in data extras . . . so the individual (or even the family) unlimited text/pix/vid plan would satisfy this one.  In this case, I see the reason for a sliding keyboard phone needing an unlimited text/pix/vid plan, as most people buy the sliding keyboard for that reason.

That does not mean that I agree that AT&T's (or any of the other mobile providers') $30/month for a "free wi-fi" adapter is fair to those who don't need or want the data plan.  I pay over $40/month at home for cable internet, so I do not need to pay $30 more a month for "the convenience" of having a mobile device with a wi-fi adapter.

I thought "smartphone" in AT&T-lingo was any device with a wi-fi adapter inside it.  For example, the Samsung Impression has the slider keyboard, touch screen, and 3 megapixel camera, but doesn't have a wi-fi adapter [or Windows Mobile], so AT&T doesn't call it a smartphone.  A bit off topic, but the only "requirement" for the Impression is $10 in data extras . . . so the individual (or even the family) unlimited text/pix/vid plan would satisfy this one.  In this case, I see the reason for a sliding keyboard phone needing an unlimited text/pix/vid plan, as most people buy the sliding keyboard for that reason.

That does not mean that I agree that AT&T's (or any of the other mobile providers') $30/month for a "free wi-fi" adapter is fair to those who don't need or want the data plan.  I pay over $40/month at home for cable internet, so I do not need to pay $30 more a month for "the convenience" of having a mobile device with a wi-fi adapter.

256 of 280 (750 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 4:54:26 PM
(0)
Master

swm28wv wrote:

I thought "smartphone" in AT&T-lingo was any device with a wi-fi adapter inside it. 

No, Samsung BlackJack 1 and 2 don't have wi-fi and still considered as Smartphones. Yes, most smartphones do have wi-fi but that doesn't mean that's the definition of smartphone, even in common sense.

swm28wv wrote:

I thought "smartphone" in AT&T-lingo was any device with a wi-fi adapter inside it. 

No, Samsung BlackJack 1 and 2 don't have wi-fi and still considered as Smartphones. Yes, most smartphones do have wi-fi but that doesn't mean that's the definition of smartphone, even in common sense.

257 of 280 (746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 5:22:55 PM
(0)
Mentor

foxbat121 wrote:

cpk86 wrote:

Any suggestions?

I'm not looking for a smartphone that does not have wifi, but rather a "dumb" phone that does.  I would like to be able to get on the internet without having to pay 30 bucks a month.  I can't afford that right now, so wifi is a good alternative.  The Samsung Impression mentioned above is a great "dumb" phone choice, but there is no wifi.  I'm under the impression (no pun inteneded Smiley Wink), that if a phone has wifi, AT&T is going to charge you 30$ a month to use it, because you can get on the internet and they wan't to be able to make their money I guess.

foxbat121 wrote:

cpk86 wrote:

Any suggestions?

I'm not looking for a smartphone that does not have wifi, but rather a "dumb" phone that does.  I would like to be able to get on the internet without having to pay 30 bucks a month.  I can't afford that right now, so wifi is a good alternative.  The Samsung Impression mentioned above is a great "dumb" phone choice, but there is no wifi.  I'm under the impression (no pun inteneded Smiley Wink), that if a phone has wifi, AT&T is going to charge you 30$ a month to use it, because you can get on the internet and they wan't to be able to make their money I guess.

258 of 280 (734 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 5:42:41 PM
(0)
Professor

Why exactly would any company build a dumb-phone that can only get WAP webpages and add Wi-Fi to it?  That would be, well, DUMB.

Wi-Fi has nothing to do with whether a phone is considered a smart phone or not.

AT&T's definition of a smart phone is any phone running Windows Mobile, Symbian, Palm OS, Blackberry, Android,  or iPhone OS.  You can add WebOS to this list when AT&T get's their version of the Palm Pixi and Pre

Why exactly would any company build a dumb-phone that can only get WAP webpages and add Wi-Fi to it?  That would be, well, DUMB.

Wi-Fi has nothing to do with whether a phone is considered a smart phone or not.

AT&T's definition of a smart phone is any phone running Windows Mobile, Symbian, Palm OS, Blackberry, Android,  or iPhone OS.  You can add WebOS to this list when AT&T get's their version of the Palm Pixi and Pre

259 of 280 (728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 5:48:55 PM
(0)
Scholar

If you want wifi, you can carry around 2 devices-a dumb phone and a smart phone with wifi.

You can buy an HTC 8525 or 8925 for less than $100 on ebay. The wifi works whether there's a sim in the phone or not. You just cannot use the smart phone as a phone.....kind of defeats the purpose of an all-in-one device, but it does work.

If you want wifi, you can carry around 2 devices-a dumb phone and a smart phone with wifi.

You can buy an HTC 8525 or 8925 for less than $100 on ebay. The wifi works whether there's a sim in the phone or not. You just cannot use the smart phone as a phone.....kind of defeats the purpose of an all-in-one device, but it does work.

260 of 280 (724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 6:34:39 PM
(0)
Mentor

Good points.  Oh well.  I guess I'll just be waiting for a little while before I get any kind of decent phone.  That's ok anyway, because I'm interested to see how WP7 turns out.

Good points.  Oh well.  I guess I'll just be waiting for a little while before I get any kind of decent phone.  That's ok anyway, because I'm interested to see how WP7 turns out.

261 of 280 (1,153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 7:50:54 PM
(0)
Scholar

Or get an iTouch... which is an iPhonee with out the phone but gets you wifi and elimites any data plan. Smiley Happy

Or get an iTouch... which is an iPhonee with out the phone but gets you wifi and elimites any data plan. Smiley Happy

262 of 280 (1,139 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 10:05:42 PM
(0)
Mentor

VydorScope wrote:

certainly you meant a zune hd Smiley Wink

VydorScope wrote:

263 of 280 (1,129 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2010 4:03:02 AM
(0)
Scholar

cpk86 wrote:

VydorScope wrote:

No, I meant iTuouch based on the fact that I have not even heard of a "zune hd" Smiley Tongue

cpk86 wrote:

VydorScope wrote:

No, I meant iTuouch based on the fact that I have not even heard of a "zune hd" Smiley Tongue

264 of 280 (1,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2010 4:36:47 AM
(0)
Professor

VydorScope wrote:

cpk86 wrote:

VydorScope wrote:

Well... what the heck is an iTuoch or iTouch?  Do you perhaps mean an iPod Touch?   iTouch just sounds like it could be something dirty. 

VydorScope wrote:

cpk86 wrote:

VydorScope wrote:

Well... what the heck is an iTuoch or iTouch?  Do you perhaps mean an iPod Touch?   iTouch just sounds like it could be something dirty. 

265 of 280 (1,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2010 5:27:16 AM
(0)
Scholar

satchev wrote:

Of course I am refering to iPod Touch, which I ahve seen many places refer to just as iTouch. Smiley Tongue When in doubt, the laziest way wins LOL

satchev wrote:

Of course I am refering to iPod Touch, which I ahve seen many places refer to just as iTouch. Smiley Tongue When in doubt, the laziest way wins LOL

266 of 280 (1,101 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2010 6:45:16 AM
(0)
Mentor

VydorScope wrote:

cpk86 wrote:

VydorScope wrote:

*ahem*

http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/zunehd/default.htm

VydorScope wrote:

cpk86 wrote:

VydorScope wrote:

*ahem*

http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/zunehd/default.htm

267 of 280 (1,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2010 10:10:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

cpk86 wrote:

You may want to consider the C905a - at&t has discontinued it now, but you may be able to still find them available - if you purchase an at&t branded one, you'd have to debrand, but if you are technically competent there is quite a bit of information available re: debranding possibilities.  The WiFi hardware is present, but at&t's firmware has deactivated it.  Another alternative is to purchase the generic version where the WiFi radio hasn't been deactivated.

There are quite a number phones out there with WiFi (particularly Nokias) that at&t does not consider to be a "smartphone" - however, if at&t carries the model, they remove the WiFi ability. Smiley Wink

satchev wrote:

It's not quite so simple with Symbian - the 6650 at&t classifies as a feature phone, although it runs S60.  An earlier example of the same treatment was the N-75.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

cpk86 wrote:

You may want to consider the C905a - at&t has discontinued it now, but you may be able to still find them available - if you purchase an at&t branded one, you'd have to debrand, but if you are technically competent there is quite a bit of information available re: debranding possibilities.  The WiFi hardware is present, but at&t's firmware has deactivated it.  Another alternative is to purchase the generic version where the WiFi radio hasn't been deactivated.

There are quite a number phones out there with WiFi (particularly Nokias) that at&t does not consider to be a "smartphone" - however, if at&t carries the model, they remove the WiFi ability. Smiley Wink

satchev wrote:

It's not quite so simple with Symbian - the 6650 at&t classifies as a feature phone, although it runs S60.  An earlier example of the same treatment was the N-75.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

268 of 280 (1,054 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2010 12:24:13 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm very upset about this. My wife had an AT&T Tilt for 2 years without a data plan. She doesn't need it. She uses the phone at home and all Internet access, if used on the phone, was via WiFi. Recently, I purchased an iPhone for her with the data plan and retasked the Tilt to be my kids phone for when they go to the park on Fridays or are away from us. I told the man at the AT&T store exactly what I wanted, which was JUST PHONE SERVICE. Bare minimum. After having the updated plan for about 2 months, I began receiving e-mails from AT&T telling me that I required mandatory data service EVEN THOUGH I DON'T WANT TO PROVIDE THAT TO MY KIDS.

When I complained to the fellow at the store, he changed some things around and was fairly convinced that the charge wouldn't return, but it did again, within a matter of hourse.

I'm going to fight this tooth and nail. This is now about principal. I'm going to cost AT&T much more than the $30.00 per month that they are trying to extort from me. If I have no luck getting them to change their tune, then I'll take my business elsewhere.

I'm very upset about this. My wife had an AT&T Tilt for 2 years without a data plan. She doesn't need it. She uses the phone at home and all Internet access, if used on the phone, was via WiFi. Recently, I purchased an iPhone for her with the data plan and retasked the Tilt to be my kids phone for when they go to the park on Fridays or are away from us. I told the man at the AT&T store exactly what I wanted, which was JUST PHONE SERVICE. Bare minimum. After having the updated plan for about 2 months, I began receiving e-mails from AT&T telling me that I required mandatory data service EVEN THOUGH I DON'T WANT TO PROVIDE THAT TO MY KIDS.

When I complained to the fellow at the store, he changed some things around and was fairly convinced that the charge wouldn't return, but it did again, within a matter of hourse.

I'm going to fight this tooth and nail. This is now about principal. I'm going to cost AT&T much more than the $30.00 per month that they are trying to extort from me. If I have no luck getting them to change their tune, then I'll take my business elsewhere.

269 of 280 (850 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2010 5:43:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

I say if you didn't buy the smartphone in a at&t COR store or at&t agant store, you shouldn't be required to have the data plan that comes with it.  I'm using several unlocked phones.  No at&t branding on them.  For ex... I picked up an unlocked HD2 and the next day I get a text saying a BB data plan was added to my account.  I looked and at&t thinks my HD2 is a BB 7290!!  How does that happen?  I called them and had the data plan removed, explaining that it's NOT a Blackberry.   

I say if you didn't buy the smartphone in a at&t COR store or at&t agant store, you shouldn't be required to have the data plan that comes with it.  I'm using several unlocked phones.  No at&t branding on them.  For ex... I picked up an unlocked HD2 and the next day I get a text saying a BB data plan was added to my account.  I looked and at&t thinks my HD2 is a BB 7290!!  How does that happen?  I called them and had the data plan removed, explaining that it's NOT a Blackberry.   

270 of 280 (808 Views)