Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

Contributor

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

Who said anything about doing tethering illegally? I'll gladly abuse legally paid tethering, you can count on it.
Message 121 of 280
Guru

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

I've never read the tethering TOS, but I do know (as stated earlier) that it has a 5gb/month limit.  What's the per mb penalty once you exceed that?
Message 122 of 280
Scholar

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

I was asking guandolf about the two Samsung phones he mentioned.  The sprint hero can be set up with the full version of documents to go for 29.99. The original reason I got a smart phone was for the speadsheet capability I'm able to keep available without two devices and not carry a briefcase all the time.  So now I will go to Sprint and get twice as many minutes unlimited texting and according to them unlimited internet for 129.99  before my corp disc. of 17% So i'll save roughly 30.00 a month and get the internet.  15 days and counting
Message 123 of 280
Scholar

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

OK-after reading all the posts in this thread, I too am unhappy about the forced data plan. However, I consider myself quite fortunate that I have 5 phones on my family plan, with 500 minutes and unlimited texting for about $130 month. Yes, an old plan, but suits us well. 4 of the 5 phones are smartphones/PDAs. I read that as long as I don't sign a new contract, I won't be forced into a data plan and can keep my PDAs. Now, my question: if I upgrade the line that doesn't have the smartphone, does the new agreement I sign apply to only that line, or will it apply to all lines in the family plan? Since the non-PDA phone is my youngest's phone, it does need to be replaced, and not with a smartphone. Should I play it safe and just buy a new phone off ebay and don't sign any kind of agreement, or would I be safe to upgrade that line, and sign a new agerement. without jeopardizing the other 4 lines? (does that make sense?)

I think I'll just start shopping ebay anyhow--and let my lines expire so that we can jump ship if any other companies decide to give ATT some real competion.

 

Message 124 of 280
Scholar

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.


msiscrm wrote:

 

I think I'll just start shopping ebay anyhow--and let my lines expire so that we can jump ship if any other companies decide to give ATT some real competion.

 


That's my plan too.

Message 125 of 280
Teacher

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

The issue I have with ATT is that they are making a very good profit that now they feel they can do whatever they want with their customers.  And they love to use the "contract" as their backup without any consideration to the customer.  They could have eased the transition with a change in their data plans, but after several calls and chats with their customer support, this ain't gonna happen.  I hope Sprint and Verizon gets stronger and stronger, and pushes ATT out of the market.  The greed ATT is showing will only get them so far...

 

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/10/25/t-mobile-officially-unveils-99-even-more-79-even-more-plus-pl/

http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPlans

 

GO VERIZON, GO SPRINT!

Message 126 of 280
Professor

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.


GS07 wrote:

The issue I have with ATT is that they are making a very good profit that now they feel they can do whatever they want with their customers.  And they love to use the "contract" as their backup without any consideration to the customer.  They could have eased the transition with a change in their data plans, but after several calls and chats with their customer support, this ain't gonna happen.  I hope Sprint and Verizon gets stronger and stronger, and pushes ATT out of the market.  The greed ATT is showing will only get them so far...

 

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/10/25/t-mobile-officially-unveils-99-even-more-79-even-more-plus-pl/

http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPlans

 

GO VERIZON, GO SPRINT!


So now you want to be able to determine how much AT&T makes?! If you owned a business, you would know there is no such thing as very good profit. Any business has an objective of making more profit, and the beautiful thing about it, thankfully, that it is legitimate!

Message 127 of 280
Teacher

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

"So now you want to be able to determine how much AT&T makes?!"

 

No, I'd like to have a choice of not having to pay for something I don't use.

 

"If you owned a business, you would know there is no such thing as very good profit."

 

There is making a profit, and there is forcing people to buy something they don't use.  

 

"Any business has an objective of making more profit, and the beautiful thing about it, thankfully, that it is legitimate!"

 

Legitimate yes, but more so unethical.  I gotta say that you sound like an ATT corporate goon that only sees the bottomline.  All I ask is that ATT provide a more affordable plan, and I will pay for it.  As of now, they are not getting anything but voice from me.  

 

Message 128 of 280
Professor

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.


GS07 wrote:

"So now you want to be able to determine how much AT&T makes?!"

 

No, I'd like to have a choice of not having to pay for something I don't use.

 

"If you owned a business, you would know there is no such thing as very good profit."

 

There is making a profit, and there is forcing people to buy something they don't use.  

 

"Any business has an objective of making more profit, and the beautiful thing about it, thankfully, that it is legitimate!"

 

Legitimate yes, but more so unethical.  I gotta say that you sound like an ATT corporate goon that only sees the bottomline.  All I ask is that ATT provide a more affordable plan, and I will pay for it.  As of now, they are not getting anything but voice from me.  

 


 

If AT&T doesn't offer what you need, perhaps a different carrier will. They have the right to decide what devices are used on their network and how those devices are used. No, I do not work for AT&T.
Message 129 of 280
Mentor

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.


guandalf wrote:

GS07 wrote:

"So now you want to be able to determine how much AT&T makes?!"

 

No, I'd like to have a choice of not having to pay for something I don't use.

 

"If you owned a business, you would know there is no such thing as very good profit."

 

There is making a profit, and there is forcing people to buy something they don't use.  

 

"Any business has an objective of making more profit, and the beautiful thing about it, thankfully, that it is legitimate!"

 

Legitimate yes, but more so unethical.  I gotta say that you sound like an ATT corporate goon that only sees the bottomline.  All I ask is that ATT provide a more affordable plan, and I will pay for it.  As of now, they are not getting anything but voice from me.  

 


 

If AT&T doesn't offer what you need, perhaps a different carrier will. They have the right to decide what devices are used on their network and how those devices are used. No, I do not work for AT&T.

 

You may not work for AT&T, but it sounds as though you are of the idea that you can never have enough profit no matter how many people you step on in the process, including your customers.  No one is denying that companies have the right to make money, but people in the business world need to understand that you can still make money and maintain customer satisfaction at the same time.  You do not have to sacrifice one over the other if you know what you are doing.  I was a very satisfied AT&T customer until this year when changes went into effect that were obviously meant to increase profits on an already highly profitable business, at the expense of loyal customers.

 

All that most people are saying in this thread is that as a paying customer, we do not want to pay for things that we do not use, nor do we want to be hemmed in with inflexible choices that are obviously meant to manipulate us into spending more money than we need to.  It is not like we are asking for anything new here; the wireless rate plans were structured to allow for much better choices than they do now.

 

 

 

Message Edited by varnk on 10-26-2009 06:02:45 AM
Message 130 of 280
Teacher

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

After numerous chats with ATT customer service, it has become evident that ATT is not concerned about losing customers.  They will still require a data plan even if you buy a phone full price.  This is not about recouping the cost of the phone, but squeezing every cent out of their customers. 
Message 131 of 280
Scholar

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

I will leave at&t and go to any other carrier over this. I have one more year on my contract.  I realise all the other carriers have this too, but I'm p1ssed and every month paying $30 for something that's a waste to me will make me more angry at at&t.  

 

They abused us when they were our land line provider and they are doing it now.

Message 132 of 280

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.


wekebu wrote:

I will leave at&t and go to any other carrier over this. I have one more year on my contract.  I realise all the other carriers have this too, but I'm p1ssed and every month paying $30 for something that's a waste to me will make me more angry at at&t.  


Paying ~$30/mo. to T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint instead will make you feel better?

 

If I didn't already have the data plan this would have annoyed me too but considering everybody else has roughly the same policy I'd stick with whoever is giving me the best service (that's wireless service, not customer service).  Holding a grudge against a major corporation is fruitless.  At the end of the day they're all the same and all care just as little about you as an individual.

Message 133 of 280
Scholar

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

I wouldn't have an issue with the 30 bucks a month if i could GET 3G service.
Message 134 of 280
Scholar

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

Well Sprint offers alot more for a lot less and apparently T-Mobile is dropping their rates as well.  I realize differnt carriers have better coverage here and there but ATT has been promising better coverge where I live for over 5 years well the coverage has gotten worse.  Plus their CS sucks. Well Sprint hs the coverage I need and they are actively growing in my area. 7 days to go until my contract expires. and I'll be outa here I also hope many other people leave maybe they will get the message.
Message 135 of 280
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support