Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

Teacher

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

"like the Samsung Solstice or Impression."

I looked at these two phones this weekend as our daughter needed a new phone.  She flatly said "NO", and I would have to say that the phones were pathetic.  It looked like the phones were made for kids in middle school. 

"In fact, if you are not going to use a data plan, there is nothing the Solstice can't do, that a smartphone can!"

Though I don't have a data plan for my two HTC phones, I am still able to sync the Outlook Calendar and E-mail which I require on the road.

"AT&T is doing nothing different to other cellular companies"

And now you know why I stuck with them since 2001.  Now if ATT had a Family Data Plan like Sprint, that would be a different story.  Five months and counting...

Message 106 of 280
Professor

GS07 wrote:

I looked at these two phones this weekend as our daughter needed a new phone.  She flatly said "NO", and I would have to say that the phones were pathetic.  It looked like the phones were made for kids in middle school. 

"In fact, if you are not going to use a data plan, there is nothing the Solstice can't do, that a smartphone can!"

Though I don't have a data plan for my two HTC phones, I am still able to sync the Outlook Calendar and E-mail which I require on the road.

And now you know why I stuck with them since 2001.  Now if ATT had a Family Data Plan like Sprint, that would be a different story.  Five months and counting...

Both, the Impression and the Solstice do that too!

Message 107 of 280
Teacher

guandalf wrote:

GS07 wrote:

Does the Calendar screen look similar to the Outlook Mobile screens.  And can the screen resolution be improved from what it currently is?

Message 108 of 280
Professor

GS07 wrote:

guandalf wrote:

GS07 wrote:

Does the Calendar screen look similar to the Outlook Mobile screens.  And can the screen resolution be improved from what it currently is?

I have not played around with them too much. My mom has the Solstice because she wanted to sync with Outlook but does not need a data plan. I dont think the resolution can be increased on any phone.

Message 109 of 280
Teacher

Gaundalf,

Basically, the quality of a smartphone and a dumbphone is quite different.  The screen resolution, WiFi, add-on programs, flexibility in settings, and the look of the phone are just a few attributes that can not be matched.  btw, how does your Pure compare with a Solstice?  And you don't need a data plan to take advantage of the things I have mentioned.  Bottom line is that we are still paying for a plan to use the phone, why tack on $30 for data, $20 for texting on top of the $70 for voice.  $120 x 12 months adds up to quite a bit for just one phone annually, now mulitply the $30 by 4.  Did AT&T not consider that this country is not financially the same as it was three years ago.  While people are taking paycuts and layoffs, they go ahead and increase the cost of using a device on their system without changing the system.  From what I have read, people are not rolling over and paying the $30, they are looking at other carriers.  As a new customer who has been with AT&T for only eight years, I feel this is not the right way to go for the company. 

Message 110 of 280
Professor

GS07 wrote:

Gaundalf,

Basically, the quality of a smartphone and a dumbphone is quite different.  The screen resolution, WiFi, add-on programs, flexibility in settings, and the look of the phone are just a few attributes that can not be matched.  btw, how does your Pure compare with a Solstice?  And you don't need a data plan to take advantage of the things I have mentioned.  Bottom line is that we are still paying for a plan to use the phone, why tack on $30 for data, $20 for texting on top of the $70 for voice.  $120 x 12 months adds up to quite a bit for just one phone annually, now mulitply the $30 by 4.  Did AT&T not consider that this country is not financially the same as it was three years ago.  While people are taking paycuts and layoffs, they go ahead and increase the cost of using a device on their system without changing the system.  From what I have read, people are not rolling over and paying the $30, they are looking at other carriers.  As a new customer who has been with AT&T for only eight years, I feel this is not the right way to go for the company. 

I don't disagree with what you are saying. Full blown PDA's will have more features, and this will be reflected in their price, as well as, in the now required data plan, which all major carriers now require for PDA's. Obviously, the Pure being a WM phone, will have more options than the Solstice, and more features. But they do address different markets. However, as you mentioned that you do not require a data plan, then, those differences diminish and make those phones almost equal. Obviously, a WM phone will sync better with Outlook, but the Solstice syncs just fine, if all you need are contacts and meetings.  The Impression by the way, is a higher end phone than the Solstice. Here is a great review of the Impression. Having the Java platform installed, means, you can also download applications for it, from sites like this one. Being a business owner, my needs are very specific. With almost 30 phones, AT&T currently meets my needs better than other carriers. If I were an individual user, the case might have been different. You may also want to consider Sprint, which offers cheaper voice and data plans than AT&T. T-Mobile, is about to announce a whole new set of plans which include voice and data. Bottom line, different carriers/plans work well for different people. I don't agree that AT&T is increasing the cost of using their devices. They have changed the ToS on using certain devices. Hope I managed to answer your questions.

Message 111 of 280
Scholar

I've put in my two cents before on this subject.  Do those samsung phones allow the viewing and editing og excel spreadsheets?  That is tha main reason I use a amart phone. Also the constant frustration with ATT CS has become unbearable.  In fact ATT now come in dead lst of the big 4 in cuatomer service.  16 days and counting I WILL be moving my cell and home service  to sprint and local land line companyrespectively and I'll be paying roughly 1500 less a year for more options. 
Message 112 of 280
Professor

segar123 wrote:
I've put in my two cents before on this subject.  Do those samsung phones allow the viewing and editing og excel spreadsheets?  That is tha main reason I use a amart phone. Also the constant frustration with ATT CS has become unbearable.  In fact ATT now come in dead lst of the big 4 in cuatomer service.  16 days and counting I WILL be moving my cell and home service  to sprint and local land line companyrespectively and I'll be paying roughly 1500 less a year for more options. 

They do not allow you to view  and edit Excel spreadsheet.
Message 113 of 280
Teacher

I've done the same thing.

Bye AT&T.

G

Message 114 of 280
Professor

Crater1 wrote:

I've done the same thing.

Bye AT&T.

G

Adios Amigo
Message 115 of 280
Guru

You can't open/edit Excel spreadsheets on Sprint WinMo devices?  I thought Excel was a "basic" component of all versions of WinMo?
Message 116 of 280
Professor

sbriand wrote:
You can't open/edit Excel spreadsheets on Sprint WinMo devices?  I thought Excel was a "basic" component of all versions of WinMo?

Ofcourse you can!  I thoguht the person asking, was talking about the Samsung Impression or Solstice.
Message 117 of 280
Contributor

I'll tell you this much, if AT&T forces me into a data plan, you can bet full well that I will abuse it to the ends of the earth and get my "value" out of it. Tethering + Netflix streaming = 5GB maximum download.
Message 118 of 280

Go ahead, and when you get caught tethering don't come here crying about your $2000 phone bill.  If you tether, it is a different plan,,,,$60.
Message 119 of 280

Before finally getting my Tilt over a year ago I checked in the local Sprint store and at the time their smart phones only came with Office Mobile which was read-only. AT&T included Office Mobile Professional which allowed editing within the limits of the microprocessor. Sprint said that the upgrade fee to Office Mobile Professional was $99. Edit: I have not checked lately so this may have changed with Sprint.
Message Edited by tilteduser on 10-19-2009 04:07:09 PM
Edit 2: For some reason the system isn't formatting this as displayed during preview.
Message Edited by tilteduser on 10-19-2009 04:10:46 PM
Message 120 of 280
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Additional Support